Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

There's something magical about 'X X/X'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Korak posted:

Three damage adds up fast from turn three on. You're right its a punisher mechanic and thus the opponent shouldn't ever kill themselves with it directly but if you build your deck right it could create a very fast clock for people that don't realize how fast 3 damage adds up.

against control, I agree, but I don't think this card is anything special against other midrange decks and possibly useless against aggro.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That's cute. Asked a question about Conspiracy, got a "call" in response to the question telling them they can spoil something.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Welp, time to start grabbing BW humans stuff.

I want Aetheros and King Macar.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Conspiracy has a new card type called Conspiracy. We have no idea what it means. Apparently Conspiracy the set itself will have a Planeswalker in it.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
New card type called Conspiracy. ...how appropriate.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ok this gimmick question thing is silly.

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.

JerryLee posted:

Macar being a may effect doesn't totally fit flavorwise. :spergin:

Art on Polymorphous Rush owns.

Well if you're going to pick nits it really should only work on contact, Midas turned what he touched into gold, not what he targeted when he untapped.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
"No one cares about red anyways." :allears:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Crazy cosplayer on stream.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zorak posted:

Conspiracy has a new card type called Conspiracy. We have no idea what it means. Apparently Conspiracy the set itself will have a Planeswalker in it.

THIS PLEASES TARMOGOYF!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The fencer avatar from duals not Venser.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MTGO QUESTIONS?

MTGO QUESTIONS.

Wizards don't dodge this `~`

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Toshimo posted:

THIS PLEASES TARMOGOYF!
Eh, I bet it's a "new card type" in the ways Planes and Schemes were.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Nice, when the Gold Tokens were spoiled a while back I didn't expect the player controlling Midas would get to control them too.

Edit: Nevermind I had the captain confused with the soulbond version

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 12, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

MTGO QUESTIONS?

MTGO QUESTIONS.

Wizards don't dodge this `~`

All we got really was some funny wincing by the panel.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zorak posted:

All we got really was some funny wincing by the panel.

Kind of like the reprinting of Fetches just now.

Wincing and then "Eventually."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm really hype about the Conspiracy walker, since it not being in Modern or Standard means it's theoretically a chance for them to push the hell out of the card and have another Legacy playable walker.

Or it'll be gimmicky crap. v:downs:v

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Guessing Conspiracy cards are going to have some sort of effect when you pass them to surrounding players in booster draft.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm really hype about the Conspiracy walker, since it not being in Modern or Standard means it's theoretically a chance for them to push the hell out of the card and have another Legacy playable walker.

Or it'll be gimmicky crap. v:downs:v
Yeah unfortunately if they're doing a planeswalker in a gimmicky set it'll likely be something that can't be played in any existing Modern/Legacy deck. There's so many fun things you could do with a multiplayer format drafting planeswalker.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Korak posted:

Yeah unfortunately if they're doing a planeswalker in a gimmicky set it'll likely be something that can't be played in any existing Modern/Legacy deck. There's so many fun things you could do with a multiplayer format drafting planeswalker.

Isn't Conspiracy going to be Vintage/Legacy legal? Or am I remembering wrong? If it is, I'm sure they'll want to avoid having problems, like they did with True-Name Nemesis, although Conspiracy being in boosters and not in decks will help with that anyway.

VVV: Ah neat, that works too. Thanks.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 12, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Serperoth posted:

Isn't Conspiracy going to be Vintage/Legacy legal? Or am I remembering wrong? If it is, I'm sure they'll want to avoid having problems, like they did with True-Name Nemesis, although Conspiracy being in boosters and not in decks will help with that anyway.

There's going to be a few cards that aren't legal in any format, silver-border style, but the rest will be Eternal-legal like any other supplemental set.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Spoil Pharika already, goddamnit.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AegisP posted:

Spoil Pharika already, goddamnit.

I just hope Pharika is good. Please wizards, please!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Pharika's gonna be CMC 2 and make every card in your graveyard gain dredge 3.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Trailer

http://youtu.be/gTGm-o3OXcA

That piece of art with Elspeth on the temple with Xenagos reaching for her is gorgeous, want to see that card.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mezzanon posted:

I just hope Pharika is good. Please wizards, please!

The other 4 Gods in this set have all been between good and bonkers so I'm not too concerned.

Except when I remember none of the other 14 deal in life gain. :shepface:

Elyv posted:

I think you guys are all overrating a punisher card.

Athreos takes a situation where only one disadvantageous thing happens (dude dies) and turns it into two advantageous things (dude comes back or opponent loses 3) and does so repeatedly. Either the card advantage gets to you, or the life loss gets to you.

Exploit some good ETB effects and good dies triggers and wrap it in WB's wonderful removal and discard.

Athreos is the WB commander I've been waiting for. He's a thingdoer.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The BW god goes right into BWR murdergoats so hard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gyshall posted:

Technically he does trigger off of tokens, but it's sort of a non-choice since they stop existing.

Take the opponent's turn and make them pay 3 life for dead goats? It's funny but very far from practical.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gyshall posted:

Isn't the entire premise of murdergoats to throw expendible tokens at people, which doesn't trigger Atheros?

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Turning him on would be awkward, but Tymaret gets more value out of dying. Same with Young Pyromancer.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So apparently the guy who asked the Conspiracy question at the Magic panel was none other than our very own MinusX.

And apparently they've outright let him know who the upcoming Planeswalker is...

DACK FAYDEN COMMA GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zorak posted:

So apparently the guy who asked the Conspiracy question at the Magic panel was none other than our very own MinusX.

And apparently they've outright let him know who the upcoming Planeswalker is...

DACK FAYDEN COMMA GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE

Oh for gently caress sake. :negative:

The only benefit to this is being able to shout, UNTAP, DRAW, PLAY DACK FAYDEN, GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE.

Zorak posted:

Apparently the Theros comics characterize him to be more interesting and less obnoxious.

I hope you're right.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 12, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Apparently the Theros comics characterize him to be more interesting and less obnoxious.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Dack Fayden being a self-aware satire of planeswalker writing would be awesome but sadly they probably won't go there.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Count Bleck posted:

I hope he's format-warpingly powerful. I want to see Dack Fayden in every Legacy deck.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Another pro-Atheros argument is that it comes out before verdict on the draw too. Would you verdict into 1-3 creatures on the other side with this out? Are you ok with taking 3-9 damage in one turn where you have already took a hit or two?

Minor synergies with Cartel Aristocrat/sac outlets as well as Shadowborn Demon.

Korak fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 12, 2014

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Zorak posted:

I hope the card title is Dack Fayden, The Most Interesting Planeswalker In The Multiverse.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Athreos takes a situation where only one disadvantageous thing happens (dude dies) and turns it into two advantageous things (dude comes back or opponent loses 3) and does so repeatedly. Either the card advantage gets to you, or the life loss gets to you.

Exploit some good ETB effects and good dies triggers and wrap it in WB's wonderful removal and discard.

Punisher cards are worse than the worst of the two options, but Athreos's two options at 3CMC are both so bonkers that he's still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Zorak posted:

He's less I'M SO GREAT. NOW I'M ON A QUEST FOR VENGEANCE. I NEED TO AVENGE MY DEAD FAMILY. Etc. What since he went and did that thing he said.

Now he's just off doing adventures on Theros and it's enjoyable. Ashiok's the villain.

• Locked thread