Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's not related to DF obviously but some people (PETA) really think that way:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/us/peta-finds-itself-on-receiving-end-of-others-anger.html?_r=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Elth posted:

How is genocide less mean than incarceration? :psydwarf:

These are the serious moral questions dwarves ponder every day.

The answer is alcohol.

VVV They do if you embark on an evil biome.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 11, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elth posted:

The dead don't suffer. Become a super-villain and create a weapon to force the sun to go supernova and you'll be the greatest humanitarian who ever lived.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Very Goth

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always just only keep one female cat and butcher the rest. Solves the population issue.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I have two cats in a fortress of around 190. Both are males and only one is owned.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Elth posted:

Took us 13 pages to find a suitable subtitle.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Internet Kraken posted:

I will have kittens butchered the second they are born though.

Wait until they're fully grown, you get more leather and meat from them that way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TildeATH posted:

Took us 13 pages to find a suitable subtitle.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dwarf Fortress: Took us 13 pages to find a suitable subtitle

I don't know, man, it just doesn't flow. Although I do like the alliteration at the end there.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
I can't believe none of you grognards play adventure mode

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like to get a fortress started, train up a dwarf and equip him or her with the best gear I can, and then take that dwarf adventuring.

If you want to do that, use DFhack:

1. Put the cursor over the dwarf (or other entity) you want to control. This is important because everything will go black in a second.
2. type 'mode set' in DFhack, then change to adventure mode (type in '1' and hit enter)
3. type 'dfusion', type 2 to get to adventure tools, then 2 again to change adventurer to whatever is at your cursor
4. Back in the game, hit ESC and then you should be able to rest or retire as a peasant. Do that, then save the game (might want to make a copy of your savefile for this).

You should now be able to start a new adventurer game in your world, and select the retired character and start playing as him. You might also want to type in 'lair' at some point or everything in your fortress will scatter all over the place. As far as I can tell your fortress still runs in the background more or less.

*upon starting the adventure mode with your new adventurer, everything in cages or on chains will be set free and will be loose somewhere, FBs walled in caverns might teleport up to your fort*

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 12, 2014

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
I was just joking about the grognard stuff but you just described how you minmax your adventure mode characters. :wow:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AXE COP posted:

Wait until they're fully grown, you get more leather and meat from them that way.

The reason I butcher them is because they might "adopt" an owner if I just let them run around. I guess I could shove them in a cage but that's a waste of time. Cats are terrible livestock so I don't care how much supplies I get form butchering them. I just want them gone.

CommonTerry posted:

I can't believe none of you grognards play adventure mode

I've played adventure mode and it can be fun but it lacks direction. The vast majority of your time is spent running around looking for something to kill. You go look for villagers that want you to kill something, you go looking for that thing and kill it, then you run back to the village to find another thing to kill. Its not terribly exciting. Plus with the way DF combat works your mighty badass character that has slain dozens of monsters might end up crippled due to one unlucky hit. Your character can be ruined with ease and there isn't really anything you can do about it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:xcom:, I mean Dwarf Fortress.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
It seems like the next masterwork race plugin will be a merchantile human race with cannons and an emphasis on building above ground and making shittons of money. I'm more pumped to try that out than the actual DF release that's around the corner.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I swear the Adventure mode used to be more engaging. The last time i tried it I struggled to find something I could realistically tackle as a starting character. And roaming the countryside for half an hour only to starve to death isn't too fun.

So in short the adventure mode would be much better if it were plausible to sustain oneself on wildlife while progressively making your way through missions. As it is the AM is nigh unplayable.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

steinrokkan posted:

So in short the adventure mode would be much better if it were plausible to sustain oneself on wildlife while progressively making your way through missions. As it is the AM is nigh unplayable.

I thought you could butcher wild animals and cook their meat on a campfire.

What I didn't like was being hungry/thirsty but too full to eat/drink. :psydwarf:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Met posted:

I thought you could butcher wild animals and cook their meat on a campfire.

Yeah, but in the last version of the game any location I explored ended up being pretty much empty so I would always starve without accomplishing anything.

In earlier versions I used to be be quite successful so I don't know what the issue was if not some quirk of the latest world generator.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Met posted:

cook their meat on a campfire

You'd think so, but the only things you can use campfires for is melting ice and burning all of your own fat off. Butchering animals gives you tons of whatever bits of meat and entrails in a huge pile and you get to eat that poo poo raw, my friend. Cheetah kidneys for everybody!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
If you look around the houses in a town you'll almost always find a bag full of berries. The people don't actually care if you take these, so stock up.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

What the hell kind of name is Devlog?

Toady One posted:

Ah, sorry about that, I was... delayed. Relatives and such. Messing around with info screens, the sort of agreement data I was displaying involved my returning a daughter to her father after a kidnap rescue. He was a scout hanging out at a hill dwarf tavern mound. The reunion might have been touching, but instead of the father running over and embracing the daughter, an unrelated drunk at the other side of the room shouted the daughter's name and then ran over and hugged me while the father and daughter stood in place crying tears of joy. It's fixed now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

quote:

It's fixed now.

I don't understand how it was broken. :confused:

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

I don't understand how it was broken. :confused:

He fixed the fact that the daughter's name was 'Devlog', obviously.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, that makes sense. I assume now she's Knitlog the Smashing of Rivers.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You can neuter pets and animals in Masterwork. It's so obviously the practical solution to cats that I don't know why Toady hasn't implemented it; it's not like animal trainers have much to do at the moment.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Vengarr posted:

You can neuter pets and animals in Masterwork. It's so obviously the practical solution to cats that I don't know why Toady hasn't implemented it; it's not like animal trainers have much to do at the moment.

There's always plenty of poo poo for them to haul in my forts. :v:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Vengarr posted:

I did not know this, how the hell do you do that?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Deki posted:

I did not know this, how the hell do you do that?

The stables I believe. Pasture them onto the stables and select the job for it. Its also great for pasturing indoor grazers, just make it a habit to peek over at the stables and once the brown arrows show up send a dwarf to feed them. 1 seed (?) will feed every animal on the stables. This may only be for dwarves though, I know necromancers don't get the stables.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
For Masterwork Warlocks, does the skeleton upgrade to ironbone/bloodsteel actually work? I assign a specific skeleton to the corrupted forge, I see him bring all the materials to the corrupted forge, I check him and see that he's running the task "infuse skeleton with ironbone" but it just consumes the materials and doesn't actually upgrade the skeleton. What's up with that?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its worked for me, I'm sure there is a rare chance it can fail cause I think what happens is that it makes a smoke cloud that carries a syndrome that changes the skeleton, and sometimes the syndrome doesn't take effect?

Also drat skeletons always partying, even inviting guests without getting the OK first

:mad:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leal posted:

Its worked for me, I'm sure there is a rare chance it can fail cause I think what happens is that it makes a smoke cloud that carries a syndrome that changes the skeleton, and sometimes the syndrome doesn't take effect?

Also drat skeletons always partying, even inviting guests without getting the OK first

:mad:

Why do you hate fun?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Seriously, don't be such a Debbie Downer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Their chaperones are very rude and just take use my bones without asking for permission. Also they are invisible and even while actively attacking people they never show up so I have to slayrace to make them stop.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Leal posted:

Their chaperones are very rude and just take use my bones without asking for permission. Also they are invisible and even while actively attacking people they never show up so I have to slayrace to make them stop.

SKELETON HOUSE!!!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Angela Christine posted:

Why do you hate fun?

Yeah, just play this in the background and run with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UbGtjnluyY

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Triskelli posted:

SKELETON HOUSE!!!

I've stopped following the political cartoon thread a long time ago, and it appears that was a mistake.

That aside, has anyone ever done a Masterwork thread in the LP forum?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

YeOldeButchere posted:

I've stopped following the political cartoon thread a long time ago, and it appears that was a mistake.

That aside, has anyone ever done a Masterwork thread in the LP forum?

Everyone's considered it but there hasn't been one as far as I know.

And not following the politoon thread is probably best for your health.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Is Genesis any good?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Deon does good work. Before Masterwork came along, it was one of the most popular big mods for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Huh. I heard stuff about Masterwork being controversial in the Bay community. Is it because it promotes modding stagnation or something?