Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Sort of fringe but the Myr Heartless combo deck would play Atheros quite well too. Probably not enough to push it out of tier 2 janky fun deck status but who knows?

Biovisionary combo(actual meaning of combo since it ends the game!) got better with the Poly Rush spell. Two Sylvan Caratids, three lands, two Biovisionaries or 1 Biovisionary and endstep Fated Infatuation and you win the game if your opponent is tapped out on turn 4-5.

Korak fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So did they announce the actual name of duck block?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Literally The Worst posted:

So did they announce the actual name of duck block?

Nope, they're doing it on Sunday at the Pro Tour.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Calling it now: Dack Fayden will not be Eternal legal because his ultimate lets you gain ownership of one of your opponent's cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

vOv posted:

Calling it now: Dack Fayden will not be Eternal legal because his ultimate lets you gain ownership of one of your opponent's cards.

Do you honestly doubt Dack like that?

That's his +2 ability. He's the Greatest Thief In The Multiverse™, after all.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

vOv posted:

The only way we ever see ante back in Magic is if we all end up in some kind of dystopian future where the economy's collapsed and only Magic cards have retained value as a currency and marauding bandits challenge nomads to duels for their most precious cards.

We're looking at the 2017 Fall Set for that at the earliest.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Attorney at Funk posted:

The only way we ever see ante back in Magic is if we all end up in some kind of dystopian future where the economy's collapsed and only Magic cards have retained value as a currency and marauding bandits challenge nomads to duels for their most precious cards.

Please don't spoil the plot of the Magic movie.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bonus posted:

I really don't like the designer attribution inside the actual text of the card, kind of kills the immersion. Eh, whatever.

Seconded. It feels just sort of sloppy visually, like one of those low-quality web Magic card generators.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Also, some kid with big hair and a pyramid lotus necklace will topdeck everything he needs every turn.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Attorney at Funk posted:

And then a holographic recording of Richard Garfield appears from within a sealed vault to explain to us that this was all foreseen, and it was for this purpose that he established the Reserve List all those years ago.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

And then a holographic recording of Richard Garfield appears from within a sealed vault to explain to us that this was all foreseen, and it was for this purpose that he established the Reserve List all those years ago.

Are we parodying YuGiOh or Foundation now?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Elyv posted:

Are we parodying YuGiOh or Foundation now?

Do we have to pick?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Matthias Hunt talking about how Spite of Mogis may be a potential great creature killer for certain decks, putting it up against Skred as an example.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'd play Fallout: New Phyrexia.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Korak posted:

Matthias Hunt talking about how Spite of Mogis may be a potential great creature killer for certain decks, putting it up against Skred as an example.

Matthias Hunt also habitually wears a stupid hat. Don't trust him too much.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

JerryLee posted:

Starring Nicolas Cage.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Aaron Barris is wearing the dumbest loving hat I've ever seen (yes worse than a fedora) on his SCG Dallas feature match. It's one of those rasta woven beanies and he has MTG cards on it :gay:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Since we all love idle speculation, one of the audience members asked a question about Return to Homelands that got a quick "Was that Dominaria?" which was really unsolicited. We could possibly say that they're thinking about going back there since it was the first thing to pop into the MTG lead guy's head. Whether that is Huey or not...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Korak posted:

Return to Homelands

:stonk: Please no.

Also, have we gotten the card spoiled yet that has the previewed Terese Nielsen artwork yet?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Ducks block takes place during The Brothers' War, the Invasion, and Time Spiral.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Korak posted:

Since we all love idle speculation, one of the audience members asked a question about Return to Homelands that got a quick "Was that Dominaria?" which was really unsolicited. We could possibly say that they're thinking about going back there since it was the first thing to pop into the MTG lead guy's head. Whether that is Huey or not...

They did Return to Dominaria. It's called Time Spiral. We're not going back to Dominaria for a while if ever.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Athreos + any board wipe

Athreos + attacking with any on-death creature.

He doesn't work super well with tokens unfortunately, but that sure is one heck of a punisher card. He's funny with Gary too, but any smart player will just take 3 damage every time. Still a very cool and probably powerful card for only 3 mana.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
B/W humans running athreos and ETB/death effects definitely makes maindecking board wipers a good thing. Drown in sorrow would be maindeckable and actually pretty awesome if you had a necromancer or two out. Bunch of zombies, then either get humans back or cause life loss.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Downside(or upside for control players) is that Merciless Eviction is really good at wiping the board without taking damage from Atheros. Six mana is steep though.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Dack Faygo is our Conspiracy Planeswalker

Also

Maro posted:

It was announced today that the reveal of Huey (the 2014 large fall set) will happen during the coverage on Sunday at PT Journey Into Nyx.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Interesting thought for Poly Rush is that it can be a 3+ mana kill spell for blue? It's unfortunately a two for one to do it but mono blue doesn't have many options. Turns something on your board into another Master of Waves.

Does 'creatures' in the text mean non-tokens? If not then there's some synergy with Young Pyromancer.

vvv Ahh ok. Thoroughly a two-for-one in a mono blue shell then when used that way. Still might be useful in certain match ups if people learn it's incredibly efficient and versatile.

Korak fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 12, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Something that says target creature can target any creature unless it says "creature card." A token is not a card so would not be a valid target. That is pretty rare for things that are on board though.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Tom Ross holding Skullcrack from the his opening hand and gets the blowout for the win against a surprisingly good teenager playing Bant Control/Walkers.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Anyone watching SCG Dallas? The game that just ended was nuts. R/G Aggro almost loses with lethal damage on board because his opponent blocked so weirdly. Then his opponent loses the next turn because he taps out for Sphinx and gets Skullcracked, when all he had to do to live and probably win was Sphinx for 2 less so he could still Last Breath Aggro guy's only creature on board.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Alaan posted:

Something that says target creature can target any creature unless it says "creature card." A token is not a card so would not be a valid target. That is pretty rare for things that are on board though.

Does anything target a "creature card" in any zone that a token can exist? I went through several pages of Gatherer, and only found references to Library, Hand, Graveyard, and Exile, where tokens can't exist.

E: Found one! "Nontoken" is the current templating they seem to use.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=338451

Devor fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 12, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Defending Dallas Open Champion is playing the BG Dredge deck this weekend, I think he's undefeated so far? Would be cool if he repeats.

Anyone watching GP Philly? Anything happening over there that have been cool moments to look forward to on the replays? I think I'm burned out on Theros drafting but good matches are still fun to watch.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Korak posted:

Pretty sure that duck block is Tarkir block.

http://tmwatch.net/2014/02/24/wizards-of-the-coast-files-for-dragons-of-tarkir/

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Devor posted:

Does anything target a "creature card" in any zone that a token can exist? I went through several pages of Gatherer, and only found references to Library, Hand, Graveyard, and Exile, where tokens can't exist.

More often than not, text on a card will follow one of these:
  • If it affects things on the battlefield, the exclusion of tokens will be noted by the clause "nontoken creatures" (ie. Progenitor Mimic, Elspeth Tirel)
  • If it uses another zone - hand, library, graveyard, exile - it will use the clause "creature card" (ie. Amplify ability, Wordly Tutor, Zombify, Ashiok)

Again, pretty reliable hard and fast rule, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

RubberJohnny posted:

Trailer

http://youtu.be/gTGm-o3OXcA

That piece of art with Elspeth on the temple with Xenagos reaching for her is gorgeous, want to see that card.

Hey, they animated that scene from the comics.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Devor posted:

E: Found one! "Nontoken" is the current templating they seem to use.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=338451

The reason Duplicant is templated the way it is is that tokens cease to exist when placed in any non-battlefield zone, and it needs to refer to cards in the exile zone to derive values (P, T, type). Similarly it can exile an active Hidden Gibbons but it does not become a 4/4 Ape if it does because Hidden Gibbons is not a creature in the exile zone.

Also, I wanted to reference Hidden Gibbons.

a matter of gibbon take

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So I just threw this together.

4 Godless Shrine
7 Plains
7 Swamp
4 Mutavault
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Xathrid Necromancer
4 Precinct Captain
4 Tormented Hero
3 Athreos, God of Passage
4 Sin Collector
4 Cartel Aristocrat
4 Thoughtseize
2 Ultimate Price
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Bile Blight

Sideboard
1 Pithing Needle
4 Duress
4 Lifebane Zombie
4 Doom Blade
2 Drown in Sorrow

Is there any reason not to run out and buy this deck right now?

EDIT: Not sure on the Precinct Captains, may swap for Daring Skyjek.

I love this deck and want to build it right now and smash face.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Is there any reason not to run out and buy this deck right now?

EDIT: Not sure on the Precinct Captains, may swap for Daring Skyjek.

I disagree. I think in the colors it's in, the synergy you get is too strong. Xathrid Necromancer and Cartel Aristocrat are both in Standard right now. You can basically just run right over people with aggro and squeeze every last drop of value out of your creatures-- you get the potential recursion or damage, the zombie token, the protection etc.
Skyjek is probably where you want to be since I feel an Atheros deck is sort of a BW Burn-ish type deck where your main goal is to push them to make bad plays so that your damage adds up to 20-21. I would also like to suggest Immortal Servitude and Orzhov Charm for the sideboard which becomes more synergistic with these builds. Lean one way or the other, being insanely fast against Control or being really good against Midrange where the sideboard becomes transformational to deal with the other.

I mean we know a BW Humans list can win a lot of matches over the course of a long day if its played well. Atheros and other interesting choices just shorten the clock.

Korak fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 13, 2014

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Jesus, Reid Duke the Dream Crusher. The Eye Gouge on Cyclops and then Thoughtseize your meager hope last card so brutal, haha.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Zorak posted:

Conspiracy has a new card type called Conspiracy. We have no idea what it means. Apparently Conspiracy the set itself will have a Planeswalker in it.

Those will be the thirteen cards not legal in Legacy and Vintage.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

This dude is going to be awesome in my Phenax deck. Why sure, I'll mill you for 3 and kill your best creature and give myself a lotus petal every single turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Fish Of Doom posted:

This dude is going to be awesome in my Phenax deck. Why sure, I'll mill you for 3 and kill your best creature and give myself a lotus petal every single turn.

He should have deathtouch. :colbert:

• Locked thread