Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No way, that's neat. Buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The description for this Loyale made me laugh:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4417753743.html

Perfectly acceptable price for a beater too.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Wojcigitty posted:

You could run it into the dirt, sell it for scrap and still come out ahead.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Snitchtard posted:

You could run it into the dirt, sell it for scrap and still come out ahead.

drat right, when I sold my rusty old Cherokee a few years ago I got about five calls offering me $300-350 to scrap it. Instead I sold it for the same price to a dude who patched it up! :3:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wojcigitty posted:

The description for this Loyale made me laugh:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4417753743.html

Yeah great price. However, these things, while reliable, eat CV axles like nobodies business.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4413841887.html

shutupandtakemymoney?

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
I'm glad it has tires with lots of tread but name-dropping Hankook is like bragging about your new Douglas tires.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

A Melted Tarp posted:

I'm glad it has tires with lots of tread but name-dropping Hankook is like bragging about your new Douglas tires.

Lemme tell you about my NEXENs :smuggo:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
So my work truck just had a meltdown and I need another. I am a stupid about cars and trucks. I've got about $5000 to spend and I'm looking for a extended cab, 4wd, mid-sized/small truck. Do these look like decent deals or are Chevys giant hunks of poo poo with horrible problems?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4403225859.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4414094614.html

Any suggestions on what might be a good make/model to look out for? Yotas are all either way out of my price range or have 300K with a salvage title, but hey if you rebuild the tranny I'm sure it'll run awesome. Needs TLC. I can't be trusted to make decisions like this since the 87 Ranger I bought previously ended up costing me twice what I payed for it in repairs (including TWO replacement transmissions in 6 months lol) before the engine dropped oil pressure and started knocking like the goddamn police.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

West SAAB Story posted:

Lemme tell you about my NEXENs :smuggo:

You've obviously never seen a set of LingLongs.

:colbert:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I wouldn't settle for anything less than Duruns.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

Nope, try obscure Ford V4 (yes an actual vee engine, not an inline 4) more commonly used in tractors. Oh and like all real Saabs, they're FWD.

As in, "drop in a turbo rotary engine" and :getin:.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Forceums or go home.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

animeliker posted:

Yeah great price. However, these things, while reliable, eat CV axles like nobodies business.

Do they STILL do that? I remember my mom's GL did; but that was in Alaska.

Was it the just axles that they made in the 80s-early 90s, and have they gotten better? Or is it a problem with the car itself that causes it?

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

800peepee51doodoo posted:

So my work truck just had a meltdown and I need another. I am a stupid about cars and trucks. I've got about $5000 to spend and I'm looking for a extended cab, 4wd, mid-sized/small truck. Do these look like decent deals or are Chevys giant hunks of poo poo with horrible problems?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4403225859.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4414094614.html

Any suggestions on what might be a good make/model to look out for? Yotas are all either way out of my price range or have 300K with a salvage title, but hey if you rebuild the tranny I'm sure it'll run awesome. Needs TLC. I can't be trusted to make decisions like this since the 87 Ranger I bought previously ended up costing me twice what I payed for it in repairs (including TWO replacement transmissions in 6 months lol) before the engine dropped oil pressure and started knocking like the goddamn police.

My dad has been running 88-98 body style Chevy/GMC trucks for years in his contracting business as have my uncles and they love them. Parts are plentiful in the self pull yards, wear and maintenance items are cheap, and they are fairly reliable. The interiors are poo poo, stay away from 305/5.0L and 4.3 V-6 in these full size trucks. At least here in Neb you can get a decent one for 3500 ish. Rust is the same issue anywhere with road salt. Cab corners, rockers, and front fenders are common rust out places in the family fleet. Strangely I do not see as many rusty boxes as one would think. Nothing like the pre-97 Ford trucks.

I sold my 97 last year for $300 more than I paid for it 4 years prior. I do not care what people say, cash for clunkers thinned the herd not just of buckets of poo poo, but also of some pretty decent mid 90's full size pick-ups.

Dad also has some various F-series trucks from the same period and they have been similarly reliable, but then again they have all been base 2wd ex state trucks with manuals and sixes so there was not much to go wrong.

He had one Ram, a 95 or 96 (whenever they went from that body style that they seemed to run for 30 years). Had it from from new for 3 years, never gave him an issue. Pretty anecdotal given these are 20 years old now, but there you go.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

This stupid car has changed hands probably six times in as many years, and each time it goes up for sale it only looks marginally better/more complete. I went and checked it out when the guy who owned it after the guy who swapped it was selling, and it was running and driving, but far from done. I wonder what's wrong with it this time.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
My Dad recently got rid of his full size 93 4x4 Chevy truck that had a 4.3 V6. He bought it for next to nothing at an auction in the late 90s and beat the poo poo out of it everyday since then. He would do any farm work imaginable, up to pulling a stock trailer with three full size cattle on board (semi-regularly)

By the time he got rid of it , the rear panels were rusted badly (bed was ok!), had well over 200k miles and sounded like it was redlining by 3k RPMs, but it would still do almost anything you asked of it.

Point of the story; You definitely can find some tough as nails older GM trucks, they just won't be pretty.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 12, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Honestly, I would avoid the S10 with a 4.3. The full sized models with a 350 4x4 wont be that much worse than the 4.3 4x4 S-10's. I know it sounds silly, but I could never muster much over 16 mixed 50/50 city/highway driving. And this is coming from a person who can get 15mpgs out of a Suburban with a 6.0L.

You will always be kicking yourself when you need that little bit of extra capacity or the dismal fuel economy. If you want an S10 just get the model with the 4 banger and a 5 speed. Need anything else? Full sized truck.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I'll add to the old Chevy praise. If you don't mind the lower power a TBI 350 powered 1500 ('95 and under) will get decent mpg and literally run forever, I'd put a bit lower rated thermostat in it though. If the truck is in decent shape the odometer is meaningless. As was said, parts are all over hell and cheap. It's like how some people go on about Volvos or something, just do your maintenance and replace what goes bad and can't lose.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Frank Dillinger posted:

I wouldn't settle for anything less than Duruns.

Can I interest you in a pair of YKS Tires?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yup. Sy/Tys were AWD and turbo'd. I was seriously kicking the idea around of picking one up, but it never happened. Hell, I'd still get one.

I still want one but the prices suck.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

intheflesh posted:

This stupid car has changed hands probably six times in as many years, and each time it goes up for sale it only looks marginally better/more complete. I went and checked it out when the guy who owned it after the guy who swapped it was selling, and it was running and driving, but far from done. I wonder what's wrong with it this time.

Yeah its amusing to see how many people have owned this car judging from the build threads on whatever forum that they were on. What a basket case.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cool, thanks.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Honestly, I would avoid the S10 with a 4.3. The full sized models with a 350 4x4 wont be that much worse than the 4.3 4x4 S-10's. I know it sounds silly, but I could never muster much over 16 mixed 50/50 city/highway driving. And this is coming from a person who can get 15mpgs out of a Suburban with a 6.0L.

You will always be kicking yourself when you need that little bit of extra capacity or the dismal fuel economy. If you want an S10 just get the model with the 4 banger and a 5 speed. Need anything else? Full sized truck.

Sure, a work truck is never gonna have good gas mileage especially when its loaded with tools and materials but the smaller bodies are a lot easier to deal with for parking and poo poo. I can't say I ever ran into a situation that the 2.9L on my ranger felt like it was too little. Plus I just feel like if I get a full sized I'm half way to wearing tool company polo shirts and a baseball hat with embroidered flame print. I am gonna check out that V8 Silverado though.

Ghastard
Aug 3, 2007
No

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4420376694.html

The price seems a bit steep for a shot interior, rusty floor pans, and "fuel issues," but then again, how many 1st generation Civics do you see in the rust belt?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

Do they STILL do that? I remember my mom's GL did; but that was in Alaska.

Was it the just axles that they made in the 80s-early 90s, and have they gotten better? Or is it a problem with the car itself that causes it?

I don't know, really. On my grandfather's 1985 GL-10 fwd sedan I've replaced both CV axles in 2007 and then again in 2012. When he bought the car in 2000 they had been replaced before too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

animeliker posted:

I don't know, really. On my grandfather's 1985 GL-10 fwd sedan I've replaced both CV axles in 2007 and then again in 2012. When he bought the car in 2000 they had been replaced before too.

For whatever reason the Subaru GL fetishizes the destruction of axles. There was a lady who came onto the Subaru club forums distraught because her precious GL could only run in 4WD mode and she had decided, rather than pay for a tow, to illegally park it in the parking lot of a trucking company at the first sign of motive trouble.

After being informed that the poo poo ton of ball bearings nestled in both control arms were indicative of both CVs grenading simultaneously, she then said she no longer wanted to try and repair the car and wanted $2000, firm, for it, while standing next to her illegally parked, immobile 30-year-old rust-holed daily driver.

I still don't understand why she bothered posting. I would've happily paid her $800 for it, banged new axles into it and continued to drive it every day, and I was basically her only potential market.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 13, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Cool, thanks.

Sure, a work truck is never gonna have good gas mileage especially when its loaded with tools and materials but the smaller bodies are a lot easier to deal with for parking and poo poo. I can't say I ever ran into a situation that the 2.9L on my ranger felt like it was too little. Plus I just feel like if I get a full sized I'm half way to wearing tool company polo shirts and a baseball hat with embroidered flame print. I am gonna check out that V8 Silverado though.

I'm just going off the fact that the 4.3 is a bit of a guzzler and that the full size equivalent is only 1 or 2 mpgs off with the capacity all the time.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm just going off the fact that the 4.3 is a bit of a guzzler and that the full size equivalent is only 1 or 2 mpgs off with the capacity all the time.

This, basically. I found that I could get 15 mpg with a tbi 350, and I got the same out of a 95 s10 extended cab with a 4.3. There is something to be said about a smaller truck if it suits your needs. For me, the S10 was always lacking in room, cargo capacity, and especially towing. I only pulled a 6 x 10 trailer with misc loads and a car toter. The former it did ok, but the later it sucked balls at. The power wasnt there, I missed the stability of a longer truck, etc. I wasn't pulling full sized 70s era land yachts or crew cab trucks either. I used it for imports.

The final nail I the coffin for me and the not so plucky S10 was when I was toting a CB7 body style accord wagon back from and auction in iowa. About an hour into the trip, the transmission dipstick blew out of the transmission and sprayed fluid all over the engine bay. I was saved by the fact that the accord had a hitch (and reciever in the spare tire well). I proceeded to tote the S10 about 200 miles west with a 300k plus thousand mile accord station wagon.

S10's do make awesome mini trucks though.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Gold? Seems like a decent price for a running, driving car of that age, a lot of times I'll see worthless piles of rust for that price.

quote:

Classic 1951 Plymouth Cambridge, 4 door sedan, 217 Inline Six, 3-speed on the column

• Runs fine/street-worthy
• Complete/original, all stock, even the paint : )
• Everything works, lights, heater, wipers, etc. Good tires
• Never wrecked, clean title, registered until 1/2015
• Factory Service Manual included

See the Youtube Video @ http://youtu.be/vM1gI72en0s

$5000 OBO

Ask for Kevin at seven-zero-seven-332-3380
http://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/4367621296.html

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 13, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Here are some poor, washed out pictures of a kit car I came across at a swap meet today:

I have no idea whats going on with it, and neither did the guy tending it (who was "selling to for a friend").
The sign says "Kelmark GT kit car. 1986 Ferrari w/1980 VW motor. 1800 series oval. $3900"

I thought it was unique, but unless I'm missing something, not worth that price

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DoriDori240 posted:

The final nail I the coffin for me and the not so plucky S10 was when I was toting a CB7 body style accord wagon back from and auction in iowa. About an hour into the trip, the transmission dipstick blew out of the transmission and sprayed fluid all over the engine bay.

You know there was a recall for that?

GM sent out a new dip stick with a friction lock (flip the handle 90 degrees after you put it in). I wish I was kidding.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dr.Caligari posted:

I have no idea whats going on with it, and neither did the guy tending it (who was "selling to for a friend").
The sign says "Kelmark GT kit car. 1986 Ferrari w/1980 VW motor. 1800 series oval. $3900"

I thought it was unique, but unless I'm missing something, not worth that price

These were pretty popular here, but just one of many Beetle kit cars. You can replicate a lot of very nice cars with fiberglass.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
That Kelmark has so many parts of attractive cars glued together so awkwardly. Dino Ferrari and Corvette and downs syndrome.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Since AI seems to be entering cheap truck fashion period, here's a contender with a "custom wood dash":

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/barrie/5-speed-f150/583445878?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Friar Zucchini posted:

Gold? Seems like a decent price for a running, driving car of that age, a lot of times I'll see worthless piles of rust for that price.

http://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/4367621296.html

That doesn't look like it is worth more than $1500.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tai-Pan posted:

That doesn't look like it is worth more than $1500.

Original/unrestored 50s cars are valued based on completeness more than later eras, since parts (trim bits in particular for cars that aren't Tri-Five Chevys) can be so hard to find.

Despite its looks, if the floor pans are in good shape, that car will probably move at that price. All the trim is there, the body isn't a complete disaster, and all the glass is in one piece. If it were a two door, he wouldn't have even needed to put an ad up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yep, it's a Fiero.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4422536736.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

I used to help build those when I was in high school. Still have a couple old photos of one still in primer and being assembled somewhere.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
For 37k you could get a Ferrari (Maybe not a great one, but hey it's real at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Well, at least the interior build quality looks pretty accurate.