Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I had an '82 for a while and liked it a lot. There should be a couple of posts about it in this thread. I think I paid close to the same amount as what they're asking. Mechanically it's pretty basic and big enough to work on easily. The M30 was a great engine, but it sounds like it's going to burn a bit of oil (mine did), so keep an eye on that. It would work fine as a daily, so I say go for it if the bit about you checking with the shop works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Cheers for that! I have my balance running through my rear speakers the fronts are so haggard. It's been on my radar of poo poo to get done.

You're welcome. It's not fancy but it is much less expensive than any other OE-ish alternative that I know of and the sound is completely acceptable for our 15+ yo cars. I was running with the speakers removed altogether for a while.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
An M30 powered car is going to get poo poo mileage as a DD. 20-22mpg MAX, for highway driving. Expect less in the city. Good torquey motor though.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I'll add that I drive a '84 633 CSi (posted pics earlier in this thread, IIRC) as a DD and it's totally fun, and generally reliable with basic upkeep. Everything said before is right, it's a bit heavy, not a MONSTER HP machine, but peppy and not bogged-down feeling, and gets the attention of the occasional parking-lot enthusiast.

It's also fun because even with the computers, it's totally possible to service yourself. On the other hand, parts aren't very common, so the odd fix might get a bit more tricky than other more common models.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how a N62 would fit in an E24.....

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Probably pretty lovely because they're a really wide and tall engine and I think the M30 is already slanted to fit under the hoodline as it is in the E24. M30s take to boost pretty well, I think that is the most common route of getting more power? Comedy option would be S52B32, the displacement would be roughly the same!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
M88/S38 would be the best answer as that's what BMW used for the M635CSi.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
BMW GT chat:
850CSi #00001

Also apparently the 9 series will be a thing just to piss enthusiasts off with the demolition of the new numbering scheme and because :signings:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/08/bmw-bringing-9-series-concept-to-beijing/

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

So does anyone with a Cobb Accessport on a N54 engine have any experience with the flash possibly shutting off the LPFP priming? I suspect that that's what has actually been causing my rough starts - I thought it was still priming after flashing to Cobb Stage 1, but no longer seems to.

I know the captain obvious thing to do is to reflash back to stock, and see if the problem goes away...but from reading forums, the tune shouldn't make any difference in that regard.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

M88/S38 would be the best answer as that's what BMW used for the M635CSi.

S38s are really expensive to purchase and maintain though.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If I had an e12/e28/e24/e34 and wanted power I would definitely go with an M30 turbo. Kits aren't terribly expensive (4k for TCD which nets 300hp/315tq) and M30s are both cheap AND bulletproof. I'd really love a late model 535i project car, but money is better spent on my M3.

doogle
May 24, 2003

TeamIce posted:

So does anyone with a Cobb Accessport on a N54 engine have any experience with the flash possibly shutting off the LPFP priming? I suspect that that's what has actually been causing my rough starts - I thought it was still priming after flashing to Cobb Stage 1, but no longer seems to.

I know the captain obvious thing to do is to reflash back to stock, and see if the problem goes away...but from reading forums, the tune shouldn't make any difference in that regard.

I'm using the Cobb V2 with the IJEOS maps and mine has never shut off the LPFP priming on Stage 1+ or Stage 2+. I'd revert it to stock if it still doesn't prime then you either need a software update or the LPFP may be failing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I called the shop that has the 633. He said it needs an oil change and needs the oil pressure switch checked. Also there's a little rust on the back right fender and near the trunk... I don't know if that means there's some paint off and a rusty patch, or if there's a hole right through it. Both guys I talked to at the shop made it sound like it's in excellent condition overall, but I'm not getting the impression that the owner is in any rush to sell it.

And I guess it's got a ticket for expired registration? Maybe I should just walk away from this one.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 9, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

If that's the case, is there any cause for concern with using non-Timken/FAG bearings? Amazon has Centrics at $57 each here: http://www.amazon.com/Centric-405-34002E-Front-Bearing-Assembly/dp/B003K31FGM ... that's half the Timken cost.

None of you jerks ever answered me and I went with the Centric bearings. Bad move, they're going right back. Obvious cheap castings with poo poo machining and feels barely less rough than the ones that are shot on my car.

Looks like Timken/FAG is going to be the way to go.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Almost any non-OEM part for BMWs are cheap Chinese poo poo to be avoided.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Crustashio posted:

If I had an e12/e28/e24/e34 and wanted power I would definitely go with an M30 turbo. Kits aren't terribly expensive (4k for TCD which nets 300hp/315tq) and M30s are both cheap AND bulletproof. I'd really love a late model 535i project car, but money is better spent on my M3.

M30 turbo? You mean, M102/M106! :getin:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

And I guess it's got a ticket for expired registration? Maybe I should just walk away from this one.

If it doesn't feel right... walk away.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I'm getting to a maintenance period for my 2002 cooper s and was wondering, do any of you know if this model is an interference or non - interference engine? I'm gonna be doing all the usual maintenance stuff, I just figured while I'm under I might just replace the timing chain since I don't know when it was changed last.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

keykey posted:

I'm getting to a maintenance period for my 2002 cooper s and was wondering, do any of you know if this model is an interference or non - interference engine? I'm gonna be doing all the usual maintenance stuff, I just figured while I'm under I might just replace the timing chain since I don't know when it was changed last.

Timing chains generally don't need to be replaced on those motors. Most of the time it's the plastic tensioners that go, and those are fairly easy to DIY.

I'm not positive but I think the R50/53 are non-interference and the R56 is interference. Do some double checking on that, as it's been forever since I've been around mini's regularly.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Thank you for the info. :)

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

doogle posted:

I'm using the Cobb V2 with the IJEOS maps and mine has never shut off the LPFP priming on Stage 1+ or Stage 2+. I'd revert it to stock if it still doesn't prime then you either need a software update or the LPFP may be failing.

Well, it definitely primed pre-flash...we'll see what happens when I have time this weekend to actually sit in the car for 20 minutes while it unmarries. I've got the I8A0S maps, but those shouldn't make any difference.

If it does prime again at stock, I presume that means something's gimpy with Cobb's map and my car? I already put in a ticket to them, but haven't heard anything. I'd hate to have to sell off the AP - I'd definitely miss the extra power.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

SuperDucky posted:

BMW GT chat:
850CSi #00001

Also apparently the 9 series will be a thing just to piss enthusiasts off with the demolition of the new numbering scheme and because :signings:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/08/bmw-bringing-9-series-concept-to-beijing/

Just wondering, was the 8-series featured in any movies or TV at its time? It's styling is SO EIGHTIES to me, but I can't recall much media around it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cobalt60 posted:

Just wondering, was the 8-series featured in any movies or TV at its time? It's styling is SO EIGHTIES to me, but I can't recall much media around it.

Maybe that's why, it spent almost all of its life in the 90s.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Will Smith mentions it in gettin' jiggy with it, it was in a james bond movie I think? Some music videos and stuff too

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

rscott posted:

Will Smith mentions it in gettin' jiggy with it, it was in a james bond movie I think? Some music videos and stuff too

Unless I'm mistaken, the only BMWs to feature (prominently) in Bond movies were the Z3, Z8 and the E38 750iL; at least, according to the gigaspergs at the Internet Movie Car Database.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrChips posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, the only BMWs to feature (prominently) in Bond movies were the Z3, Z8 and the E38 750iL; at least, according to the gigaspergs at the Internet Movie Car Database.

Did you honestly do an internet search to find out what BMWs feature (prominently) in Bond movies, then call the people that had done that search before and posted the information "gigaspergs"? :thejoke:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MrChips posted:

The z8 was also in the movie for about three seconds before getting cut in half.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Did you honestly do an internet search to find out what BMWs feature (prominently) in Bond movies, then call the people that had done that search before and posted the information "gigaspergs"? :thejoke:

There's a big difference between performing a simple Google search and spending your evenings and weekends watching movies frame-by-frame to determine which cars are more featured than others and then posting it for Internet glory, so yes.

Waaaaait a second....

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

He actually explicitly says 850is which, hilariously, isn't a real designation.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

The z8 was also in the movie for about three seconds before getting cut in half.

At least, being a poo poo design, nothing of value was lost.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I'm about to do brakes on my e46. Any reason not to get Zimmerman or Brembo rotors over OEM?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Am I crazy for looking at 2007-2008 330's and 530's?

They can be had in my price range I'm shopping in between 60-100k miles. I don't put many miles on a vehicle yearly, have a healthy savings/budget for repairs/maintenance and am looking for a decent line in the sand between fun and luxury.

Is this an awful idea?

I was looking at 2004-2006 330's, which I really like, but curiosity has settled in and I admit to liking the newer body and interior style more. 5-series can be had for the same prices, with more luxuries, but I'm assuming you are signing up for essentially awful maintenance bills. Is that the case?

The newer (turbo) 330 also seems like it cold be a bit of a mis-step if something goes wrong. How stout are these? Is it smarter to buy a x28 since I'm not shopping very low mileage vehicles?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Am I crazy for looking at 2007-2008 330's and 530's?

They can be had in my price range I'm shopping in between 60-100k miles. I don't put many miles on a vehicle yearly, have a healthy savings/budget for repairs/maintenance and am looking for a decent line in the sand between fun and luxury.

Is this an awful idea?

I was looking at 2004-2006 330's, which I really like, but curiosity has settled in and I admit to liking the newer body and interior style more. 5-series can be had for the same prices, with more luxuries, but I'm assuming you are signing up for essentially awful maintenance bills. Is that the case?

The newer (turbo) 330 also seems like it cold be a bit of a mis-step if something goes wrong. How stout are these? Is it smarter to buy a x28 since I'm not shopping very low mileage vehicles?

I'm looking for one too. If you can find a 2009, assuming it was sold in your market, they get the new idrive controller. note: old dvd based version of idrive, just with an actually useful control - you need 2010(?) for the new ssd based computer system.

And from my research, in the 5 series you're getting the same mechanical running costs as the 3 series, but with added computers and electronics. If the computers - including the nav/entertainment system - go wrong, you're going to have to pay as much as the car to replace them (and you WILL have to because they're all linked together - one breaks and they all stop functioning), but it's almost unheard of for them to go wrong. The electronics like power seats and power mirrors are the x-factor, but personally I'm not too worried about replacing a switch here and there. The other issue is if any of the sensors do go wrong, you can't simply swap the old part out, you have to get the computer recoded by a mechanic or dealer to recognize the new one, and that will add some cost.

edit: actually, I think the computers are the same for both. At any rate, the computers are supposedly very solid

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 13, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Even 2007s are quite new cars. You're not going to run into a lot of issues if you don't buy a bad egg in the first place.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Even 2007s are quite new cars. You're not going to run into a lot of issues if you don't buy a bad egg in the first place.

Your brain seems to have broken. Don't worry, mine does this all the time.

It's 2014, 2015 model year, a 2007 is an 8 year old car. If this were the year 2000, it would be a 1992.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Thanks for the replies. The 330 turbos are good engines? I love turbos but worry about a BMW bi-turbo (they are right?) System costing 10k to fix at 150k miles or something.

First time German car shopper worries...

Reputation online seems to vary. You get people with 5k miles on leases saying they never had issues vs people of questionable intelligence with dubious reports.

Anything will get a PPI, I'm just looking for any major potential pitfalls. I'm pretty confident in my ability to not buy a lemon.

Figure 8-10k miles a year for 4-5 years of ownership.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Viper_3000 posted:

I'm about to do brakes on my e46. Any reason not to get Zimmerman or Brembo rotors over OEM?

No, so long as they cost the same or less as the OEM option.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Thanks for the replies. The 330 turbos are good engines? I love turbos but worry about a BMW bi-turbo (they are right?) System costing 10k to fix at 150k miles or something.

First time German car shopper worries...

Reputation online seems to vary. You get people with 5k miles on leases saying they never had issues vs people of questionable intelligence with dubious reports.

Anything will get a PPI, I'm just looking for any major potential pitfalls. I'm pretty confident in my ability to not buy a lemon.

Figure 8-10k miles a year for 4-5 years of ownership.

530i/330i isn't turbo unless it's aftermarket. 535i/335i turbo in the age range you're looking at is the first gen turbo with some major reliability problems - a HPFP they never quite managed to fix - and there were quite a lot of people with the turbo itself failing (big $$$). I personally wouldn't buy a turbo bmw unless it was a more mature design. I would be very wary of a first or second year 535i/335i

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 13, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Oh excellent, thanks for clearing that up. Got lost in the numbers and years there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
I'm looking at a 2002 525i wagon and the guy selling it has maintenance records from a reputable local BMW shop where he took it every 6 months for an oil change + inspection for several years.

In looking over the records, things like the window regulators, an oil leak from the valve gasket which led to a cooling system refresh, subframe bushing replacement come up -- all done -- but he has left some end links degraded and CV joints torn through 1.5 years based on what the inspections say (maybe some other suspension related things too, I should have taken notes).

How concerning is this? I'm planning on having the shop give a PPI, but I imagine a lot of cars at this stage have degraded Suspension bits, even well maintained ones. I also suspect the shop would have convinced him to get it fixed if the problem was bad.