Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
You know, I used to not like the Lanius ship.

Then I got a good run, got my favorite combo of teleporter and mind control, and teleported the entire rebel flagship's crew onto my airless ship, one at a time, where they proceeded to blissfully suffocate to death in the shield room, breaking free of the mind control just long enough to bang on the door a few times before they expired.

I like this ship now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

JT Jag posted:

Rooms with oxygen? Sorry, we keep the entire ship open to the cold void of space at all times. Unless you can survive in a hard vacuum you'll find youself dying, resurrecting and dying again in a constant, hellish loop, begging for just one last sweet breath of air that you will never get and praying for a true death that never comes.

I never thought of this game so morbidly before.

e: I haven't tried the cloning vats before. How much of a penalty do crew members take when they die? I feel like you want to keep your guys alive to try and preserve their skills, and if you do that then you're essentially wasting a slot you can put a cloak device or something like that in.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

e: I haven't tried the cloning vats before. How much of a penalty do crew members take when they die? I feel like you want to keep your guys alive to try and preserve their skills, and if you do that then you're essentially wasting a slot you can put a cloak device or something like that in.

Several of the stations don't have especially relevant skills. Shields, repair, and combat are all skills that, while nice to have, are not dealbreakers if you put a complete novice in charge. I could see the cloning vats especially being welcome for your boarders, who are inherently going to have higher mortality.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

I never thought of this game so morbidly before.

Well, it really isn't a wasted slot if you were going to have a medbay. Medbay and Cloning Vats are a one or the other choice as you can't have both.

Clone vats are ideal for ships that focus on boarding over other options. In general, I try and keep my characters with good system skills alive. But for the away team, who cares. They might lose experience in fighting, but they will be doing so much hostile boarding that it will quickly make up for it. The real negative to the clone vat is defending against boarding yourself, as you can't lead hostiles into the med bay and make your guys invincible.

A tip for Clone vat. It heals everyone for a certain amount per jump based on how much it has been upgraded. This heal happens even if the system is powered down.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Well, I came closer than before to defeating the boss on my mast run thanks to the advice in here. My teleporting Mantis strategy to take out the weapons was foiled in the last phase by the Zoltan shield though, and I didn't have the cloak or drones to stop the missiles. Oh well.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well, it really isn't a wasted slot if you were going to have a medbay. Medbay and Cloning Vats are a one or the other choice as you can't have both.

Okay that I did not now. So if I was flying around with a ship that started with a Medbay, I assume I wouldn't be able to purchase a cloning vat then? As opposed to replacing it or something.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

Okay that I did not now. So if I was flying around with a ship that started with a Medbay, I assume I wouldn't be able to purchase a cloning vat then? As opposed to replacing it or something.

If you try to purchase a clone vat, the game asks you if you want to replace your medbay, and visa-versa

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Momplestiltskin posted:

The dodging damage one is easy as long as you make it to stage 3 of the boss, just cloak during a power surge at the same time as his laser fires (happens pretty often). Congratulations, you got the achievement. Destroy a ship within one round of cloaking is best accomplished with the stealth weapons augment that makes it so firing does not decrease your cloak time. Pretty easy to do to AI ships that don't have shields as long as you have decently powerful weapons. Can even do it in sector one sometimes.

I got the single attack achievement really early on. Because you kinda have to. First thing I did was upgrade my Stealth to level 2, and just cruise around, lookin' for trouble. And eventually I found an unmanned enemy ship. Five health, no shields. Like you often get in the super early sectors. Fire the dual lasers for two damage, use the beam to cut through three rooms. Bam.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Momplestiltskin posted:

I wonder if the clones remember their deaths. That could give you some major PTSD. Pretty dark stuff.

There was a doctor who about that

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Glenn_Beckett posted:

There was a doctor who about that

There's a Dr. Who about every generic sci-fi idea. Also, I don't care if some rabid fan comes to kill me, but gently caress Dr. Who. :colbert:

Momplestiltskin posted:

I wonder if the clones remember their deaths. That could give you some major PTSD. Pretty dark stuff.

The whole cloning thing reminds me more of The Swapper. It's an indie game that came out last year whose whole premise, both gameplay and story, was based on cloning and the nature of identity.

Niggurath did an LP of it not too long ago, and it raises some really interesting questions about the topic.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Finally, my first victory!

With the Kestral. On Easy mode.

But I am now in love with the Vulcan Laser. Holy, does that thing earn its keep on long battles!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

berryjon posted:

Finally, my first victory!

With the Kestral. On Easy mode.

But I am now in love with the Vulcan Laser. Holy, does that thing earn its keep on long battles!
No poo poo. I got my first victory on Easy Mode with the Vulcan Laser using the Red Tail. I can't believe I actually had to think before ditching the four lasers for the single Vulcan.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Ya, chain vulcan is pretty amazing. Bit risky for my tastes, but really strong when it works.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Congratulations! Beating it on easy is still good, easy isn't that easy and normal is uh hard?

If you can get the chain vulcan with 2 weapon reloaders and a veteran weapon officer it fires at +5 every .66 seconds! Get 3 and it's .55 seconds! Of course if you get a pre-ignitor, it'll save you up to 11.1 seconds in charging.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I had the Chain Vulcan, a Smart Bomb and an Ion Blaster. It built up steam while the Smart Bomb took care of the missiles (then other weapons), and the Ion was targeted on the Shields. Once I had cracked the shields, I started to target systems of choice. Went into the battle at 29 Health, and with no repairs, came out at 4. On round 3, I saved the Smart bomb until the Zoltan Shield was down, then focused on the engines and Shields until it died.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Kirenski posted:

Congratulations! Beating it on easy is still good, easy isn't that easy and normal is uh hard?

If you can get the chain vulcan with 2 weapon reloaders and a veteran weapon officer it fires at +5 every .66 seconds! Get 3 and it's .55 seconds! Of course if you get a pre-ignitor, it'll save you up to 11.1 seconds in charging.

I can tell you from recent experience that hard is extremely so. Also doing Vortex runs on normal is suffering.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The difficulties should really be called Normal, Hard and Bullshit.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I don't know how you make the game look easy man, I can hardly get to sector 8 let alone kill that ship, The rng hates me and I never find good weapons.

That said you did manage it with nothing but 2 lasers and that was pretty slick, I need to rewatch the run and try to work out just how you stayed alive.

Also add me to a crew at some point please :3: I wana beat up some aliens.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
So I'm batting %50 so far (all easy mode runs) the one ship I simply cannot beat the flagship with is the Zoltan one. It's cursed for me, I swear.

I've done runs with the Kestrel, Osprey, Torus, and the Zoltan. Can I get a hint on how to unlock another ship? Or is it just luck?

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
Bought the game thanks to this LP - spent my Sunday getting my first win on easy. Went with the torus with two ion weapons and a burst laser I - 20 seconds into each fight the enemy ships had no shields and weren't fighting back. Think ion weapons might be a little overpowered! Got some good tips from the OP though (like how to use cloaking to trivialise the final boss).

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
One ship is unlocked by a stasis pod you may have found in your travels ya have to do a thing with it, In engi or zolton space.

They are all unlocked by special quests that come up randomly, just partake in as many quests as you can, and im sure youll notice that some are different from often recurring ones.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
edit: Nevermind

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 13, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dirt5o8 posted:

I've done runs with the Kestrel, Osprey, Torus, and the Zoltan. Can I get a hint on how to unlock another ship? Or is it just luck?

When I last played, all of the ships had specific unlock conditions, i.e. it's not "just" luck. However, those unlock conditions rely on you having access to the right encounter cards. E.g. the unlock might require you to go to a Rock system (which requires such a system to be generated on your route), then to find a specific set of three encounters in sequence (as the start, middle, and end of a quest chain). The Crystal ship is particularly stupid-rare to get a chance of unlocking. I'm sure you can find specifics if you search online.

Assuming they haven't changed this, IMO it's perfectly legit to just cheat to unlock the ships instead, since you shouldn't have to play a bunch of games over and over again just to randomly get the chance to maybe unlock one of the ships you want to play as.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Dirt5o8 posted:

So I'm batting %50 so far (all easy mode runs) the one ship I simply cannot beat the flagship with is the Zoltan one. It's cursed for me, I swear.

To avoid spoilering up the thread I'll just direct you to the wiki's ship list, which has links for their unlock quests. However, it's important to keep in mind that the quests were bullshit enough that they had to add the progressive unlocks in Advanced Edition - If you wanted to unlock ships, you'd probably have the easiest time running your Zoltan ship and praying to find flak weapons.

I also had a bunch of trouble with the Zoltan Cruiser. Having no real shield-breakers and a weapon wholly dependent on shield-breaking make for an unhappy midgame if you don't get lucky.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 13, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK, I reread the OP, he asked us not to spoil the unlock quests.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.
This LP is great, and has already helped me to suck less at this game. I'm still hesitant to play on Normal difficulty, though. :ohdear:

I might try it with the Lanius B, though.

The Lanius B is a beast. I would say arguably one of the best ships in the game, if not the best.

ArchetypeBlue fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 14, 2014

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Oops, sorry for asking for the ship help. I watched the first set of videos, bought the game and have been marathoning since. Having a blast with it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
If anyone here's looking for help, the game does have a fairly active thread in Games. Spoiler warning though.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?
Thanks guys; some people don't care about spoilers, and that's fine. Definitely check out the ftl wikia for ship unlock info if you are interested. I just want to avoid spoilers for those that do care about that sort of thing.

On another note; the one time I was fortunate enough to nab a Vulcan and an automated reloader, it was DISGUSTING how good it was.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Panboy posted:

I don't know how you make the game look easy man, I can hardly get to sector 8 let alone kill that ship, The rng hates me and I never find good weapons.

That said you did manage it with nothing but 2 lasers and that was pretty slick, I need to rewatch the run and try to work out just how you stayed alive.

Also add me to a crew at some point please :3: I wana beat up some aliens.

The things he's doin where he's constantly pausing and switching power around to maximise the things that need to be used right now, stuff like getting extra power bars by turning oxygen off for a bit really are the key; those habits are the difference between finishing a fight with 1 - 2 hull damage and finishing a fight with 5+ hull damage. It was actually quite educational for me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
When I first started playing this game I never paused the game. I kept forgetting the pause button existed and I'd play everything through in real time.

I think that could be a fun self challenge because the game is a hell of a lot more frantic that way. It'll get you killed though.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Lanius A begins, and I can say this run will be very interesting. I don't want to give away anything further, but I think you'll enjoy it!

Episode Nine Part 1/3: "Is That A Planetary Defense Weapon or Are You Just Happy to See Me?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI9qoEUBeJs

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 14, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I found myself unable to resist trying the game again despite its tendency to induce rage in me, and holy hell the Lanius A with a teleporter is insane. Teleport your Lanius into the medbay, wait for enemy crew to arrive, hack the medbay, suddenly a) the enemy is locked in with you, b) the air is going away, and c) when you activate your hacker the medbay drains health instead of restoring it!

Also, the final phase of the boss fight isn't impossible without mind control; you just need to shut down their ability to use it. Bombs, missiles, and hacking the mind control unit all work well.

That run was ridiculous in general, granted that I was playing on Easy. My final loadout was a Charge II, Flak I, Small Bomb, and Ion Bomb, and I had the augments for faster reloads, long-range scanning, and full-heal-on-teleport (which is pretty bloody useful when running a teleport-based game with a cloning bay, let me tell you).

Silly thing about the cloning bay: since you can't heal units normally except by jumping, in the last couple of fights I intentionally stationed badly-injured "generic" units (i.e. ones without lots of systems skill) in airless rooms to force them to die and come back at full health.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Silly thing about the cloning bay: since you can't heal units normally except by jumping, in the last couple of fights I intentionally stationed badly-injured "generic" units (i.e. ones without lots of systems skill) in airless rooms to force them to die and come back at full health.

Deer diery

I got too close to the enjin and burnd myself again. Captin showted at me for getting hurt. "Weel never win the war if you keep getting woonded like that" he said. Then he made me go sit in the cold room until I got sleepy and woke up in the weerd jelly room agen. I dont like the weerd jelly room. Every time I go in there I feel less clever but Captin says its for the good of the Feddyrayshun. I wish I cood remember what a Feddyrayshun was. I bin in the jelly room so often I dun remember much else.

This is the last readable entry. The few following were just large spirals and scribbles, like someone trying to mimic writing without knowing what it actually is.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Deer diery

I got too close to the enjin and burnd myself again. Captin showted at me for getting hurt. "Weel never win the war if you keep getting woonded like that" he said. Then he made me go sit in the cold room until I got sleepy and woke up in the weerd jelly room agen. I dont like the weerd jelly room. Every time I go in there I feel less clever but Captin says its for the good of the Feddyrayshun. I wish I cood remember what a Feddyrayshun was. I bin in the jelly room so often I dun remember much else.

This is the last readable entry. The few following were just large spirals and scribbles, like someone trying to mimic writing without knowing what it actually is.

And next thing you know he's in charge of piloting the ship because of an unfortunate asteroid accident.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well, that's a nice start to a Lanius run, except the getting shot at by the ASB that is. Got some good weapons there, I can see that charged ion being especially useful for boarding operations.
And I think I'll volunteer for a later run. I'd like to be a rock if the option presents itself, but whatever works.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Holy crap, you actually managed to do the "asteroid field" thing without the poor ship blowing up?! I always have them blow up and I take a bunch of damage. Just like literally every refueling station ever is staffed by pirates.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Whoa hey I don't think I've ever seen that planetary battery before; is that new to advanced edition or does it only happen under certain circumstances? Last time I played getting caught by the Rebels was a pita because you had to fight a more powerful ship than normal and got no reward from doing so but you didn't constantly take potshots from a goddamn plasma cannon.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Neruz posted:

Whoa hey I don't think I've ever seen that planetary battery before; is that new to advanced edition or does it only happen under certain circumstances? Last time I played getting caught by the Rebels was a pita because you had to fight a more powerful ship than normal and got no reward from doing so but you didn't constantly take potshots from a goddamn plasma cannon.

Yep, it's new in Advanced edition and it is BRUTAL. You can occasionally get events where one is on your side. Those are so lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
This Federation outpost was slaughtered brutally... but hey! Free scrap! :D

All the slaves died and that's sad... but scrap! Yeah!!!

• Locked thread