Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I kinda secretly hope they leave a good number of unannounced unlockables. Even newcomers. I enjoy the in-game surprise.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I feel like Luigi, Marth, Toon Link etc. being announced already kinda hints towards them abandoning unlockable characters and I'm ultimately okay with that. Smash has plenty of secret stuff besides characters. In general, fighting games have been steering away from secret characters as a bit of pointless tedium.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
The feeling of surprise for unlockables is excellent, and I hope it's still available in some capacity. However, I also understand the whole "it's a party game, why do you have to unlock all this stuff" argument. As nerdbot mentioned, there's a lot of other non-character stuff to unlock: trophies, music, stages, and now probably custom move sets. Of course, these aren't as "important", so there's a lesser feeling in that case.

In my perfect world, the 3DS version would have locked characters - as it's released first, it would legitimately surprise people, and the system is more single-player focused, offering unlockables as a reward. The Wii U version, on the other hand, is more party-focused, and by the time it releases presuambly everyone will know who the characters are, so I'd be fine with the full roster being available there. Maybe the unlock conditions on the 3DS (if equivalent) would instead unlock music tracks on the Wii U version (as it will have a greater selection). More realistically, I hope that we at least can transfer unlock data to the Wii U from 3DS.

Endorph posted:

Welcome to For Glory mode, how tough are you?

SpongeBob walks into the Salty Spittoon and immediately slips on an ice cube and has to go to the hospital. Tripping confirmed for For Glory mode.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I also hope they suck some of the fun out of the game by giving you every character and stage at the beginning.

Why do I have to unlock these drat trophies?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

We unlocked characters three times already, this is the fourth Smash game. Just let us play with the guys we like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I want every character and stage at the beginning so I can, y'know, just grab it and play with friends immediately without feeling gimped. Trophies don't have a gameplay effect, so having to unlock them is fine.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I dunno, I think the game is plenty fun just to play, I don't need rewards for doing it. I've put approximately a bajillion infinity hours into smash across melee, brawl, and P:M, and I think outside of beating mewtwo when I was 14 I don't really think I've ever cared about unlocking characters outside of the inconvenience of having to do it. I like the middle ground of them being locked on the 3DS (though they really shouldn't lock anyone they announce since then it's just a boring grind) and then having them all available on the Wii U though, both because everyone would know the roster by then and because the Wii U will be the "party" console where it's more important to be able to just slap the disk in and go.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't really mind unlockable characters, especially in the 3DS version where I won't always have an internet connection and will be doing single player stuff. But I still want them to announce all the characters ahead of time, even just putting them behind a spoiler warning like the Dojo did it

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

How about Sakurai makes it so when you start the game you have the choice to unlock everything yourself or have it all unlocked at the start.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Have almost the entire roster open from the start, with the exception of Jigglypuff. Who still requires you to beat Classic Mode.

But yeah, I think it'd be good to have the 3DS version with unlockables, and the WiiU version without. It seems like a good setup; the surprise and anticipation is the best part, and it's not gonna be there by the time the WiiU version comes out.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Macaluso posted:

I don't really mind unlockable characters, especially in the 3DS version where I won't always have an internet connection and will be doing single player stuff. But I still want them to announce all the characters ahead of time, even just putting them behind a spoiler warning like the Dojo did it

I don't. I want there to be rampant speculation flying the day it is released that is not cleared up for at least one week, due to the requirements or characters sounding insane. E.g., Melee: "What, I have to play the game for 20 hours? But it's man-hours? And if I do this I get the most bad-rear end Pokémon? You've gotta be lying to m- [CHALLENGER APPROACHING]". Pokémon X/Y had this with it's simultaneous world-wide release, and I think it turned out pretty well!

Actually, your original point is predicated on there being a gap in release dates (the Dojo didn't add those characters until after the Japanese launch), so I'm hoping they're able to get the window as small as possible this time. If the text-heavy Pokémon can do it, why not Smash Bros.?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Cleretic posted:

Who still requires you to beat Classic Mode.

That reminds me, and this is pointless musing on my part but I wonder if they'll bring back the Event Match things. They were fun to go through in Melee and Brawl, if utterly forgettable.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Just include a cheat code like they've done for every Guitar Hero. Unlock all. Boom.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

I want every character and stage at the beginning so I can, y'know, just grab it and play with friends immediately without feeling gimped. Trophies don't have a gameplay effect, so having to unlock them is fine.

I unlocked every character and stage in Brawl in 24 hours, it's only a problem if you make it one :smug:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How do you have 24 hours to play video games?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like getting rewards but for travel and and tournament stuff they probably should include a code that unlocks everything. I like getting stages and characters for playing. It's fun for me and part of what sets Smash apart from what feels like pointless grind in other fighting games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reiley posted:

How do you have 24 hours to play video games?

I assume he means "within a day' and not "in 24 hours solid playtime."

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

I assume he means "within a day' and not "in 24 hours solid playtime."

The latter isn't exactly out of the question either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I like getting rewards but for travel and and tournament stuff they probably should include a code that unlocks everything. I like getting stages and characters for playing. It's fun for me and part of what sets Smash apart from what feels like pointless grind in other fighting games.
Wait, so playing the game for its own sake is pointless grind, but having to unlock characters/stages isn't? :psyduck:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

TaurusOxford posted:

The latter isn't exactly out of the question either.

I did take food and shower breaks, but yeah. I was a dumb 17 year old kid who had no responsibility then, so why not?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Endorph posted:

Wait, so playing the game for its own sake is pointless grind, but having to unlock characters/stages isn't? :psyduck:

I like advancing! Part of what drives a whole lot of gaming are the "pointless" badges, points, levels and whatnot you're awarded along the way and yes, they are all technically pointless, as is usually the game itself.

I do think they should include an unlock code. Because the players tend to be very diverse, virtually everything should be togglable.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I'm certain that the reason why Goroh, The Franklin Badge, and The Polar Bear from Ice Climbers specifically weren't shown off because Falcon, Ness, and The Ice Climbers are unlockable.

The only thing I really question is the whole gimmick behind the newcomers it that they get their own special vids, if they're unlockable how do they get away without unveiling them and putting the videos on youtube like they said?(this is a dumb nitpick and the answer is obvious but whatever)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

GenericMartini posted:

I'm certain that the reason why Goroh, The Franklin Badge, and The Polar Bear from Ice Climbers specifically weren't shown off because Falcon, Ness, and The Ice Climbers are unlockable.

The only thing I really question is the whole gimmick behind the newcomers it that they get their own special vids, if they're unlockable how do they get away without unveiling them and putting the videos on youtube like they said?(this is a dumb nitpick and the answer is obvious but whatever)

They'll reveal them online post-launch with youtube trailers or something, I'm sure.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Captain Pissweak posted:

I also hope they suck some of the fun out of the game by giving you every character and stage at the beginning.

Why do I have to unlock these drat trophies?
No one has ever cared about having to unlock trophies. People care about it being lovely and stupid to have to unlock characters in a party game. It sucks to pop the disc you brought with you into your friend's wii during a party or w/e and realize that half the people there can't play as the character they like without grinding through a long, boring as gently caress campaign. It's a pain for casual play and it's a pain for tournaments.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand it was fun playing with friends the night we got the game and being surprised at who popped up as we completed multiplayer brawls.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Perhaps the unknown connectivity between games is if you unlock every character in the 3DS can easily transfer every character to the Wii U and BAM. No longer do you have to wait to unlock characters when you bring your Smash game to your friends house because all you need now is your handy 3DS.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bicyclops posted:

I like advancing! Part of what drives a whole lot of gaming are the "pointless" badges, points, levels and whatnot you're awarded along the way and yes, they are all technically pointless, as is usually the game itself.

The technically pointless unlockables should be stickers and trophies and music and alt costumes. Characters are much too important to have to grind for. I didn't marathon Subspace Emissary because I was enjoying it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

GenericMartini posted:

Perhaps the unknown connectivity between games is if you unlock every character in the 3DS can easily transfer every character to the Wii U and BAM. No longer do you have to wait to unlock characters when you bring your Smash game to your friends house because all you need now is your handy 3DS.

Yes, buy our 200 dollar handheld and you don't have to waste your time unlocking characters.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
What some fightin games on other systems do is have a dollar or two DLC to unlock the locked dudes for you. I hate this pay2cheatcode bullshit, but I gotta say on Smash release day party that kind of DLC would sound mighty tempting

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

TaurusOxford posted:

Yes, buy our 200 dollar handheld and you don't have to waste your time unlocking characters.

I think the people who have a Wii U but not a 3DS is a really small number right now.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Were any characters actually kept secret through the release of Brawl? Just Wolf? I seem to remember everybody else being announced on the site prior, but it's been quite a while.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sonic was supposed to be a secret, but the game's delay led to a dearth in Dojo content and Sakurai was forced to spill it early.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If I remember correctly, all the secret characters were successfully kept secret right up to the Japanese launch (I wouldn't count Snake and Sonic as 'secret', even though they had to be unlocked).

Wolf, Jigglypuff, and Toon Link took longer than the rest to discover, though, because of the way they were hidden.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Sonic was supposed to be a secret, but the game's delay led to a dearth in Dojo content and Sakurai was forced to spill it early.

Sonic was the reason for the delay. His and Green Hill Zones files are the last added, almost a year before the last modified file (a file for Wolf).

Also, yeah, outside of Snake and Sonic the rest of the secret characters were hidden until release, and later posted on the Dojo after it's release. Lucario and Jigglypuff leaked in the sticker video, where one of the stickers showed there icons.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sonic was the best unveil for Brawl because rumors were so thick Sonic and Tails were hidden somewhere on Melee that people assumed it'd be the same joke again and they'd never do it, but then they did. I think there was even two empty spaces on the complete Melee character select screen people assumed were for Sonic and Tails that sort of lent credibility to the rumors, but it was so long ago I can't honestly say I remember.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remember R.O.B. was the big pleasant surprise.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I remember how the last three were successfully predicted before we knew them for sure; characters always appeared in the same left-to-right order on the select screen, and someone figured out in advance that if you added characters in three particular spots, the whole grid would settle into organized columns for each franchise.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Gutcruncher posted:

I didn't marathon Subspace Emissary because I was enjoying it.

No kidding. I've been playing Brawl since I've been starved for some Smash gameplay, and my Wii is currently out of commission, so I had to throw it in the U. Playing SSE just because it's (arguably) the simplest way to unlock characters, and my god do I hate it. I used to love it, too, which is insanely confusing to me. Must be because I co-oped my way through it, and the novelty of "it's seriously just Kirby Superstar all over again, but with more characters! This is awesome!"

Now, though? Ugh, loving pain in the rear end. Here's a bunch of little enemies that do way too much percentage damage and can launch you across maps just by flicking you. Also here are some orb enemies that have no difference between their movement and attack animations, as well as some guys that only attack when they're at full health, but they regenerate their health and they have no wind up for their ridiculously devastating attack. gently caress SSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

GenericMartini posted:

Alternatively: You can only unlock characters in the Wii U version, and then can sync with the 3DS version to get them there. This "forces" people with only 3DSes to buy a Wii U and keeps part of the roster a secret until the Wii U version comes out so its delayed release is still exciting.

I don't think Nintendo would actually do that but it'd be a pretty good scam on their part.

• Locked thread