Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aximus
Aug 18, 2010
Just got to good ol' Bragg. gently caress, this place is huge. Hopefully being on the sustainment side will keep me away from most of the stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Gooble Gobble posted:

Is there any policy saying you have to be reachable at all times? Unit is combing the barracks grabbing people to guard arms room and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to shut off cell phone and stay at a friends place.

its funny because my go to military response would be to do like everyone else says and sham out of it because literally nothing good would come out of being dependable

civilian jobs are cool, actual performance matters :eyepop:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Aximus posted:

Just got to good ol' Bragg. gently caress, this place is huge. Hopefully being on the sustainment side will keep me away from most of the stupid.

Sorry, it wont. AIRBORNE! bleeds into the loving grass there.

Edit: Enjoy being called a dirty leg :smug:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Carteret posted:

Edit: Enjoy being called a dirty leg :smug:

Is that a serious thing or is it like saying "high speed" where most people only use it as a joke

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Cole posted:

Is that a serious thing or is it like saying "high speed" where most people only use it as a joke

nobody in the actual 82d calls anyone a leg because we were too busy being miserable ourselves to make other people miserable, I never actually heard people say it as a joke even

the worst is you'll be called a pogue human being, but never a leg

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

Aximus posted:

From what I understand sustainment has it's own brand of stupid. Welcome to Bragg though it isn't the worst place to be.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

nobody in the actual 82d calls anyone a leg because we were too busy being miserable ourselves to make other people miserable, I never actually heard people say it as a joke even

the worst is you'll be called a pogue human being, but never a leg

it's especially funny cause the jump qualified POGs love calling other POGS legs. ultimate piss match

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Gooble Gobble posted:

Is there any policy saying you have to be reachable at all times? Unit is combing the barracks grabbing people to guard arms room and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to shut off cell phone and stay at a friends place.

genderstomper58 posted:

its funny because my go to military response would be to do like everyone else says and sham out of it because literally nothing good would come out of being dependable

Being dependable sucks. Being responsible for getting tons of stupid poo poo done sucks. Don't do it. I can't even estimate how much of my time was wasted because I made that mistake.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Cole posted:

People said it unironically when I was there. Bragg wasn't the worst, but the Army is still SUPER gay.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women

faddypaddy posted:

From what I understand sustainment has it's own brand of stupid.

In the past it was because anyone you didn't want to deal with was sent to that side of the post.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Carteret posted:

the Army is SUPER gay.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Being dependable sucks. Being responsible for getting tons of stupid poo poo done sucks. Don't do it. I can't even estimate how much of my time was wasted because I made that mistake.

Nobody ever, EVER believes me at first when I say the only way to get a promotion in the Army is incompetence because doing a good job is a punishable offense. It's always regarded as a joke and I'm at about 50/50 convincing people it's not.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 13, 2014

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
all i gotta say is after serving in all the infantry and other combat arms units it makes it a fitting end for me to be sitting on a rear d waiting for my walking papers from my medboard in a air defense unit

this poo poo is the army? people do this for 4 years? people do this for TWENTY?

this poo poo is such a joke, i have always heard it was and boy they were being nice.

this has got to be like what the national guard is

Aximus
Aug 18, 2010

faddypaddy posted:

From what I understand sustainment has it's own brand of stupid. Welcome to Bragg though it isn't the worst place to be.

Until I get to my company, the only thing I have to console myself with is that at least I'm here as EOD, although what what my instructors back at school have been saying, EOD also has their own unique set of problems here.

Jonass
Mar 29, 2012

genderstomper58 posted:

Actually, I found being dependable in the army came with a bunch of downsides, and some upsides. Sure, I got called in at 2am to fix crap, went back to bed around 4am, then had half the day off to do whatever. Sure, being dependable came with the occasional 30+ hour work day, but being that SPC that got to tell NCO's what to do was it's own brand of justice. Also helped that the Commander/First Sergeant loved me. Not so hot when the incoming brigade and battalion commanders knows my name before I even know we're getting new commanders. Nothing like running something over to brigade real quick and some full bird stops you "Oh, I've heard so much about you!" and you can just feel the inevitable doom.

drat, in retrospect, being competent and dependable may not have been worth it, but it meant I got away with anything, so long as I kept it low key enough. Everyone was happy to ignore me for the most part, which is the only reason I ETS'd instead of getting kicked out for weight/PT failure like every other useless fatbody in my brigade was.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Jonass posted:

Actually, I found being dependable in the army came with a bunch of downsides, and some upsides. Sure, I got called in at 2am to fix crap, went back to bed around 4am, then had half the day off to do whatever. Sure, being dependable came with the occasional 30+ hour work day, but being that SPC that got to tell NCO's what to do was it's own brand of justice. Also helped that the Commander/First Sergeant loved me. Not so hot when the incoming brigade and battalion commanders knows my name before I even know we're getting new commanders. Nothing like running something over to brigade real quick and some full bird stops you "Oh, I've heard so much about you!" and you can just feel the inevitable doom.

drat, in retrospect, being competent and dependable may not have been worth it, but it meant I got away with anything, so long as I kept it low key enough. Everyone was happy to ignore me for the most part, which is the only reason I ETS'd instead of getting kicked out for weight/PT failure like every other useless fatbody in my brigade was.

That's essentially it. I was one of the only people who knew how to use excel and powerpoint in my old unit. This meant doing a lot of favors for officers and ncos. It sucked, worked my rear end off, and got it done. Ended up getting a lot more freedom than other people because of it. However, the hidden downside was that because I established myself as a guy that gets poo poo done, now I have all these extra jobs to do while my first lines sit on their rear end and play computer games. It got to the point where I lived off post, and had to drive on post to clear off the parking lot for the full birds/CG/and SGMs whenever it iced/snowed over.

It's nice getting that type of recognition, but if you don't use it by saying something like "Hey Sir, I need a recommendation to go OCS." or "Would you tell 1SG that I'm helping fix your poo poo so I don't have to go pound stakes into the blacktop for inventory (which is another story completely)?" then you're really just being the bitch of the unit.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
you guys are huge tools

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Soulex posted:

It got to the point where I lived off post, and had to drive on post to clear off the parking lot for the full birds/CG/and SGMs whenever it iced/snowed over.

what?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yup. Then there was the guy that ran the snow plow into the CGs vehicle. He didnt have a lisence either.

I think I talked about him in the idiots thread.

I probably belong there too.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

You re-enlisted right?
yeah, you probably belong in the idiots thread.
All this horrible bullshit is going to get dumber and worse for you.
Welcome to the 1990's garrison mentality, it wants you to brasso your boots and touch up the asphalt walkways with black shoe polish.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 14, 2014

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

tuluk posted:

You re-enlisted right?
yeah, you probably belong in the idiots thread.
All this horrible bullshit is going to get dumber and worse for you.
Welcome to the 1990's garrison mentality, it wants you to brasso your boots and touch up the asphalt walkways with black shoe polish.

I know it is. I already saw the BS take my friend. He was tasked to make and mark off a 2 mile run for the PT test. He used spray paint on a road. Garrison commander sees it and makes him stay till about 7 PM scrubbing it off.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

yeahok posted:

you guys are huge tools

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Four more days bitchesssss

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

yeahok posted:

you guys are huge tools

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Eh, being competent got me treated more like an equal adult more often than not, so it seemed worth it. Used that leverage to sham out of everything else.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I want to hear more about you guys being bitch boys for your units then thinking it's worth it because some dickhead gives you an atta' boy before throwing you on another retarded detail that isn't your job. :allears:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i got hosed over after deployment and thrown into the training room nco position because i wasn't a complete idiot with paperwork, computers, and printers. i didn't want the job at all and i didn't get any perks. last dude with the job ets'd so I got stuck running the show while also taking care of my own guys i was still in charge of along with all our poo poo rear end vehicles, by myself most of the time because my guys would get grabbed up by the other platoons while i wasn't there.

i shammed my last year in, got a gut the last six, and generally didn't give a gently caress about people's paperwork. they didn't notice because they were all retards. suck my nuts, army.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

yeahok posted:

I want to hear more about you guys being bitch boys for your units then thinking it's worth it because some dickhead gives you an atta' boy before throwing you on another retarded detail that isn't your job. :allears:

I learned my lesson. I know better now. Show you can work hard = more work. gently caress that.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Haha no, I was very sure to set my limits. I was asked if I wanted to work in the training room, and I replied with 'Top, I'd sooner hang myself.' Never got asked again. I was asked to go fill out some security stuff so I could take over the arms room. Never did that either, so no arms room bitch duty.

Then again, they did keep throwing the terrible soldiers at me to fix. So yeah, I'm a bitch. gently caress.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I'd say if you can do radio and communication poo poo easily that being the platoon RTO can have upsides if your PSG/PL are cool. Normally, yes, the job is gay as gently caress, but when poo poo starts getting real, real stupid, you can call in some pretty big favors from your platoon daddies. That's a big if though, you have to have some genuinely great leadership to really see the upside.

Maybe it was different in my unit because each team had their own RTO and there were two platoon RTOs per platoon so the work was pretty evenly distributed, but radios and writing stuff down aren't exactly the hardest task in the world and have a big difficulty-to-reward ratio. While everyone else is worrying about mission planning and briefing all you have to do is make sure the equipment works and that everyone is on the same page. It definitely contributed to making E4 faster, that's for sure. Plus you generally know about things before everyone else, since you are the first point of contact.

gently caress being the armorer though. Those people just got constantly bitched at and I felt really bad since they seemed like they were genuinely trying.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 14, 2014

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon

tuluk posted:

At motorpool formation this morning my SGM told us the army was going back to the old 80's-90's days of schools being the only way to get ahead of your peers and that your combat experience was worthless.

Retention also told me that PMOS over strength, Terminal in 10 months :woop:

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
I'll enjoy selling my combat experience anecdotes a decade from now for 100000 space-dollars per month in space-kuwait.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
All I see ITT are proles begging for breadcrumbs.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women

TPSDude posted:

At motorpool formation this morning my SGM told us the army was going back to the old 80's-90's days of schools being the only way to get ahead of your peers and that your combat experience was worthless.

It's amazing and infuriating how many people in certain positions of authority say this when if they actually bothered to read any of the recently written stuff they like to play loving word salad with they'd realize they're the ones who are worthless. Grade plate every field grade and senior NCO position by one or two and see how many stick around.

brains
May 12, 2004

so there's a former drill sergeant in my class with a few years experience both as a line drill and at the schoolhouse as cadre and the stories he's been telling us are loving incredible. besides the obvious dipshit privates being privates stories (which are hilarious and the only benefit of being a drill, as far as i can tell), we've been talking about the changes in quality in the average boot coming through compared to when a lot of us went through in the early years of the war or even during the surge.

apparently there's a major issue right now with basic trainees having such weak muscular and skeletal systems that they are developing stress fractures and ligament damage from even the most basic physical training, and this has caused TRADOC to change how PRT is being conducted, with a huge focus on hip stability drills just because all the trainees are so weak that they are literally breaking bones.

one of the stories he told us about this kid who was on one of the shorter rucks and started limping near the end and was struggling badly. the drills gave him the usual encouragement, and the kid wanted to keep going so they let him finish it out. as soon as he crosses the line he collapses, and says something along the lines of, "this hurts really bad." he had broken both femurs, and they had to put him into emergency surgery.

he's got way too many stories about these kids that are so loving weak they fracture bones by walking a couple miles. it's an eyeopener for sure.

also naturally the first question he got asked was about the 'stress cards' rumor we've all heard since forever, they are bullshit and do not exist. the drills do, however, have to immediately turf them over to mental health if they make the claim they are 'too stressed to handle things' so take that as you will.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I went through in 2012, and a girl I was friends with fractured something in her left ankle and stress fractured her left hip during that final 12-mile sandy ruck at Jackson. I was literally pushing her up some of the hills and we shared her ruck's load because it was the final thing we had to do and she wasn't going to quit. She limped during the final ceremony, and I was with her when we went to the BAS and she had her x-rays done (we went to AIT together).

People be crazy.

stevenolson88
Sep 30, 2009

Looks like I am going to be a ready d oic for one of the companies (supposedly) deploying to Afghanistan. My PL time got cut short so I only got 7 months. I plan on getting out anyways when my time is up in about 20 months so I'm not too butt hurt about it. Plus, my old commander is a huge tool bag, so I won't miss him at all. Decided to try and train up for Best Ranger next year just to keep me busy.

Anybody been a ready d oic and can fill me in on what to expect?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

brains posted:

so there's a former drill sergeant in my class with a few years experience both as a line drill and at the schoolhouse as cadre and the stories he's been telling us are loving incredible. besides the obvious dipshit privates being privates stories (which are hilarious and the only benefit of being a drill, as far as i can tell), we've been talking about the changes in quality in the average boot coming through compared to when a lot of us went through in the early years of the war or even during the surge.

apparently there's a major issue right now with basic trainees having such weak muscular and skeletal systems that they are developing stress fractures and ligament damage from even the most basic physical training, and this has caused TRADOC to change how PRT is being conducted, with a huge focus on hip stability drills just because all the trainees are so weak that they are literally breaking bones.

one of the stories he told us about this kid who was on one of the shorter rucks and started limping near the end and was struggling badly. the drills gave him the usual encouragement, and the kid wanted to keep going so they let him finish it out. as soon as he crosses the line he collapses, and says something along the lines of, "this hurts really bad." he had broken both femurs, and they had to put him into emergency surgery.

he's got way too many stories about these kids that are so loving weak they fracture bones by walking a couple miles. it's an eyeopener for sure.

also naturally the first question he got asked was about the 'stress cards' rumor we've all heard since forever, they are bullshit and do not exist. the drills do, however, have to immediately turf them over to mental health if they make the claim they are 'too stressed to handle things' so take that as you will.

Yeah this is something I've heard a lot to. Apparently I was better off being the big fatass when I was in basic rather some twink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

stevenolson88 posted:

Looks like I am going to be a ready d oic for one of the companies (supposedly) deploying to Afghanistan. My PL time got cut short so I only got 7 months. I plan on getting out anyways when my time is up in about 20 months so I'm not too butt hurt about it. Plus, my old commander is a huge tool bag, so I won't miss him at all. Decided to try and train up for Best Ranger next year just to keep me busy.

Anybody been a ready d oic and can fill me in on what to expect?
Tremendous amounts of stupid.

• Locked thread