Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Looking at the bloopers for Fight The Future, I wonder how Tea Leoni thought about this 'accident'.

(If it doesn't work, go to ~7:30)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

BrandonGK posted:

My main problem with I Want to Believe was the fact that Mulder and Scully felt like guest stars in their own movie. I think Amanda Peet got more screen time than Gillian Anderson did.

It felt like Mulder and Scully were shoehorned into the story. They were just... there. Out of all the paranormal crap that happens in the X-Files universe, they are brought out of FBI retirement to assist in a murder investigation involving a psychic priest? Even if they didn't want to write a movie involving the alien conspiracy, they could have at least written a story with a cool new monster. The movie wasn't terrible, and the whole head transplantation thing was kind of cool, but it was a huge letdown and it just didn't feel like The X-Files.

MisterBibs posted:

Looking at the bloopers for Fight The Future, I wonder how Tea Leoni thought about this 'accident'.

I think Tea Leoni had bigger things to worry about when it came to their marriage.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

That blurry, man-shaped white ghost thing shuffling past in what looks like security camera footage in the opening credits freaked me the hell out as a kid.

I never got what the hell was with the finger print with the red spot on it

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Race Realists posted:

I never got what the hell was with the finger print with the red spot on it

Yeah, I looked this up once. It's a Kirlian photograph. I'm not an expert, but as I remember, it's basically a photographic technique where you use high voltage to capture the image of an object's coronal discharge when subjected to the high voltage. Some kooks use it in paranormal research for whatever reason, the same kooks who use infrared cameras and tuning forks to find ghosts. They make for some really neat pictures, though.

edit:

Here is a link to the Wiki on it

Exploder fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 6, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having taken a break from the series after season seven (I watched the first two seasons of seaQuest DSV) I've started back into season eight.

I'm not far in so I can't pass judgment yet. I like Doggett well enough. The last three episodes in a row that I watched ("Surekill", "Salvage" and "Badlaa") were all a bit dull, unfortunately. Hopefully it picks up with the next one ("The Gift"). I've heard it's meant to be okay.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I've just finished season 8 and it was not as bad as I expected it to be. Not as good as the seasons before it, but still. Doggett is cool, even though he too suffers a bit from denying everything even if it hits him straight in the face. Scully going from 'nope, nothing supernatural exists' straight into 'good god Doggett, how can you not believe its obviously a human-bat that has hold a grudge for the past 50 years?!' felt a bit forced.

I couldnt help but laugh at how obvious the birth of Scully's baby was compared to the birth of Jesus though. But using the Lone Gunmen as the three wise men was pretty funny.

9-Volt Assault fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 12, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Charlie Mopps posted:

I've just finished season 8 and it was not as bad as I expected it to be. Not as good as the seasons before it, but still. Doggett is cool, even though he too suffers a bit from denying everything even if it hits him straight in the face. Scully going from 'nope, nothing supernatural exists' straight into 'good god Doggett, how can you not believe its obviously a human-bat that has hold a grudge for the past 50 years?!' felt a bit forced.

I couldnt help but laugh at how obvious the birth of Scully's baby was compared to the birth of Jesus though. But using the Lone Gunmen as the three wise men was pretty funny.

Wait until the second half of season 9 when Doggett is just about a believer. Actually, that whole season is much better than I remembered it.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
If The Gift is the one about the third eye, that one is THE BOMB.

And I disagree about Doggett disbelieving everything in Season 8; he would take everything on a case-by-case basis, and was much more willing to engage in the world of weirdness once he knew what he was facing. Like, if there were vampires, he might still not believe in them, but he sure as hell would carry garlic and stakes.

Contrast that with Scully, who for 7 full seasons just straight-up refused to engage with the paranormal stuff she saw all the time, or would shoot it (much more accurately than Mulder) and then by the end of the episode go back to denying it. Doggett accepted stuff much quicker, which goes along with the line-blurring of character roles in those last few seasons.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, Doggett was very much 'I don't know if there's a rational explanation. I hope there is, but either way, we got a job to do.'

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Charlie Mopps posted:

In season 9 Scully's baby becomes Schrodinger's Messiah: he will exist simultaneously as the potential savior and destroyer of humanity.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
Man, I started watching the X-files thinking i'd only watch it for the MOTW episodes.Every Mythos episode has been solid but some X-files episodes are loving ridiculously lame. Now all I want is more of the mythology arc. "The Field Where I died". Ugh. I am 6 episodes into Season 4 and the mythology arc is great, CSM is amazing, but the field where I died was so out there. And then came Sanginarium. Why did those two doctors in the beginning murder their patients if it was a completely unrelated doctor who was the big bad the entire episode? After they murdered it seemed like they didn't realize what they were doing. Were they under the bad Doctor Franklin's spell of black magic? At least I have Musings of a CSM to look forward to now, so theres that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've finished season eight, and it was pretty good on the whole. It was a bit sluggish at the start and some of the MOTW episodes weren't as strong as they were in earlier seasons but it improved as it went on, and the streak of episodes from "Per Manum" through to "Existence" might very well have been one of the best the series has done.

I guess it's kind of like season six of Buffy, in that respect (that is, insofar as I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did because I'd heard that it wasn't great, but it ended up exceeding my expectations).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And that's the end of The X-Files. It was quite an experience. I hope they get to make their third movie one day.

Maybe I will watch I Want To Believe at some point, but for now I'm moving on to something that I think will be a little bit sillier.

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I started my re-watch shortly after noticing this thread, and hadn't watched any X-Files episodes since their original airings. Just got to the middle of Season 7, and Oh Boy. I pretty much could never watch 'Sein und Zeit' and 'Closure' again. I had to force my way through them, but it was rough. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I have a couple young kids now. Really good, really powerful, but I came pretty close to sobbing like a big baby.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just watched Jose Chung's From Outer Space again.
If there's been a better 42 minutes of TV about loneliness and the hopeless search for the truth, I've never seen it.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

beanieson posted:

Started a rewatch a few days ago & I'm up to Ice. I hadn't seen Carpenter's The Thing until recently, a year or so ago & never realized till now how much of an homage this episode was.

This post was made a while back, but one thing I found cute/interesting is that the establishing shots of the facility they're holed up in are literally shots of Outpost 31 from the film. Not sure how they got their hands on it, but I thought it was a cool nod.

Also y'all is jerks for making me want to plod through S8 again.

re: s9, I remember being really impressed with how they handled Spender's return, and feeling seriously awful for the guy.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

An Old Boot posted:

This post was made a while back, but one thing I found cute/interesting is that the establishing shots of the facility they're holed up in are literally shots of Outpost 31 from the film. Not sure how they got their hands on it, but I thought it was a cool nod.

That is pretty cool, I didn't know that. I'll have to watch that episode again and look for that. The only thing I ever noticed in those exterior shots is the generic "wind whistling" sound effect that was used in almost every TV show and movie in the 80's and 90's. I think it's still used today.

On Spender, I don't think anybody can help but feel sorry for the guy at the end of the series. Sure, he was kind of a dick when we were first introduced to him, but he had a really rough go of things.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Exploder posted:

That is pretty cool, I didn't know that. I'll have to watch that episode again and look for that. The only thing I ever noticed in those exterior shots is the generic "wind whistling" sound effect that was used in almost every TV show and movie in the 80's and 90's. I think it's still used today.

On Spender, I don't think anybody can help but feel sorry for the guy at the end of the series. Sure, he was kind of a dick when we were first introduced to him, but he had a really rough go of things.

Screenshots:

X-Files -

The Thing -

It's mostly filters and effects they used to make it look dark. I could take more screenshots, but I think these are pretty telling. It's understandable they'd want the footage. Going out to the arctic on their own to get shots of a random outpost would be a huge pain (as seen by the trials The Thing cast and crew went through to get to Stewart, BC/Hyder, AK). Also, the homage is always appreciated. The Thing doesn't get nearly enough credit.

re: Spender, on rewatching the series, I just cringe every time he shows up, even if he is being a dick. Like, seriously. EDIT: Interestingly (or not) around S7 or so, I'd been unable to watch it due to lack of VCR and work hours that conflicted with seeing it when it was still airing. When I did catch a part of it, I thought it'd been cancelled because no one I recognized was in the episode at all. I thought Psi Factor got a bigger budget until Scully finally showed up. By then, I wasn't as grabbed by it anymore, so it was years after I'd shrugged off the series that I actually saw (after getting all the DVD sets :lol:) the S9 episode that made it all click, and when it did, holy poo poo. I remember being no-poo poo hit harder by Spender's last hurrah than anything else in the entire series. Dude was a fucker, but goddamn.

EDIT 2: In Ice, it's amusing as hell to me that Bear is basically MacReady, and happens to be the first victim. See also: hello dogge.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 5, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

An Old Boot posted:

Screenshots:

X-Files -

The Thing -

It's mostly filters and effects they used to make it look dark. I could take more screenshots, but I think these are pretty telling. It's understandable they'd want the footage. Going out to the arctic on their own to get shots of a random outpost would be a huge pain (as seen by the trials The Thing cast and crew went through to get to Stewart, BC/Hyder, AK). Also, the homage is always appreciated. The Thing doesn't get nearly enough credit.

re: Spender, on rewatching the series, I just cringe every time he shows up, even if he is being a dick. Like, seriously. EDIT: Interestingly (or not) around S7 or so, I'd been unable to watch it due to lack of VCR and work hours that conflicted with seeing it when it was still airing. When I did catch a part of it, I thought it'd been cancelled because no one I recognized was in the episode at all. I thought Psi Factor got a bigger budget until Scully finally showed up. By then, I wasn't as grabbed by it anymore, so it was years after I'd shrugged off the series that I actually saw (after getting all the DVD sets :lol:) the S9 episode that made it all click, and when it did, holy poo poo. I remember being no-poo poo hit harder by Spender's last hurrah than anything else in the entire series. Dude was a fucker, but goddamn.

EDIT 2: In Ice, it's amusing as hell to me that Bear is basically MacReady, and happens to be the first victim. See also: hello dogge.

Oh Psi-Factor, the bargain-bin (even moreso) Canadian X-Files. Dan Akroyd will still claim that the OSIR is a real organization that submitted material for the show. I honestly can't tell if he really believes that or not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jack Gladney posted:

Oh Psi-Factor, the bargain-bin (even moreso) Canadian X-Files. Dan Akroyd will still claim that the OSIR is a real organization that submitted material for the show. I honestly can't tell if he really believes that or not.

He does. He is a huge believer in Aliens and UFOS.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Awesome stand-up comedian and Silicon Valley actor Kumail Nanjiani just started a new podcast: The X-Files Files,
in which he intends to go in-depth and talk about his favorite episodes X-Files or at least the really good episodes.
This week opens with Pilot/Deep Throat:

http://www.feralaudio.com/show/x-files-files/

It's pretty good!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jack Gladney posted:

I interviewed Aykroyd once, and yes, he absolutely believes in the paranormal. More the ghosts/supernatural side than UFOs, it seemed, but he's truly into it.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Payndz posted:

I interviewed Aykroyd once, and yes, he absolutely believes in the paranormal. More the ghosts/supernatural side than UFOs, it seemed, but he's truly into it.

No, he's also really into UFOs as well.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Gyshall posted:

Just watched the episode last night with the Shapechanger guy who impersonates Mulder and tries to bang Scully.

I thought it was pretty awesome seeing not-Mulder go about his daily life (phone sex lines) and also holy poo poo the sexual tension on screen was great.

Gah, my wife and I just watched that episode. The episode is like a fractal the sense that the episode is every awesome thing about the show and everything that makes me want to pull my hair out. It is the whole show on a smaller scale.

I loved 95% of that episode. It was funny. It was interesting. I loved seeing Mulder's life. Scully's faces when she was talking to the to the woman in the hospital were golden. I loved it. But as much as I love those parts of that episode that episode also gets me so aggravated.

How the gently caress am I supposed to believe Scully wouldn't notice not-Mulder? When has Mulder ever given up on a x-file? I get that is foreshadowing, but come on. I mean, Scully is hugely intelligent agent; she once correctly identified four causes of death from states away. She's got great instincts. And generally, I think she understands Mulder pretty well. And this episode sets things up perfectly for Scully to solve the case, bag the bad guy, and save Mulder's rear end. In fact, like 15 seconds before Mulder crashes through the door, there is a look on Scully's face, that if things had been edited differently could been a flash of recognition. But no! Fox Mulder has to always come save the loving day. And it's not like this is a one off thing. It happens all the loving time.

Like the episode with the guy that corrupts film psychically and kidnaps women to save them from the howlers. As per usual, Scully get kidnapped, or abducted, or taken, or whatever, because it is always Scully that gets taken. And then, she starts talking the guy down. And it is awesome. And you think, "gently caress ya, she's got this." It looks like she's gonna escape, like she's gonna save herself. Haha, joke's on you! Good thing Mulder breaks down the door and shoots the guy!

I know there are cases where she does get to be the hero. Like when she saves Mulder from the creepy albino African guy. And there is Pusher I guess. But the point remains. I feel like she's always being kidnapped, or tricked. Often times it seems like she is only used as a way to set things up so our hero can save the day. Or she's only there to tell Mulder his idea is stupid, and then, for no good reason, he ends up being right. It's loving frustrating. I end up adoring episodes like "Humbug," or the episode with the Eve's for no other reason than that Mulder is loving wrong in those episodes.

gently caress, I forgot the point I was trying to make a long time ago. Blah blah blah, gently caress Mulder, blah blah Scully needs to remind him it isn't always about him again.

Fake edit: This took me so long to write, I realize I am wrong. There are plenty of times that Scully saves Mulder. But, ugh... The resolutions to this episode and the episode to the Howlers drive me up the loving wall.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

alpha_destroy posted:

Gah, my wife and I just watched that episode. The episode is like a fractal the sense that the episode is every awesome thing about the show and everything that makes me want to pull my hair out. It is the whole show on a smaller scale.

I loved 95% of that episode. It was funny. It was interesting. I loved seeing Mulder's life. Scully's faces when she was talking to the to the woman in the hospital were golden. I loved it. But as much as I love those parts of that episode that episode also gets me so aggravated.

How the gently caress am I supposed to believe Scully wouldn't notice not-Mulder? When has Mulder ever given up on a x-file? I get that is foreshadowing, but come on. I mean, Scully is hugely intelligent agent; she once correctly identified four causes of death from states away. She's got great instincts. And generally, I think she understands Mulder pretty well. And this episode sets things up perfectly for Scully to solve the case, bag the bad guy, and save Mulder's rear end. In fact, like 15 seconds before Mulder crashes through the door, there is a look on Scully's face, that if things had been edited differently could been a flash of recognition. But no! Fox Mulder has to always come save the loving day. And it's not like this is a one off thing. It happens all the loving time.

Like the episode with the guy that corrupts film psychically and kidnaps women to save them from the howlers. As per usual, Scully get kidnapped, or abducted, or taken, or whatever, because it is always Scully that gets taken. And then, she starts talking the guy down. And it is awesome. And you think, "gently caress ya, she's got this." It looks like she's gonna escape, like she's gonna save herself. Haha, joke's on you! Good thing Mulder breaks down the door and shoots the guy!

I know there are cases where she does get to be the hero. Like when she saves Mulder from the creepy albino African guy. And there is Pusher I guess. But the point remains. I feel like she's always being kidnapped, or tricked. Often times it seems like she is only used as a way to set things up so our hero can save the day. Or she's only there to tell Mulder his idea is stupid, and then, for no good reason, he ends up being right. It's loving frustrating. I end up adoring episodes like "Humbug," or the episode with the Eve's for no other reason than that Mulder is loving wrong in those episodes.

gently caress, I forgot the point I was trying to make a long time ago. Blah blah blah, gently caress Mulder, blah blah Scully needs to remind him it isn't always about him again.

Fake edit: This took me so long to write, I realize I am wrong. There are plenty of times that Scully saves Mulder. But, ugh... The resolutions to this episode and the episode to the Howlers drive me up the loving wall.

I think at one point I realized, good god, Scully gets abducted and kidnapped a lot. But I never really thought about it in those terms. I just look at an episode like Small Potatoes as a light-hearted, comedic episode and I don't think about it very much. I mean, you are right in your observation, but like you said, Scully saves the day plenty of times, and I think overall, she is portrayed as a strong, capable, and intelligent agent.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Mulder is helpless and unconscious like a lot. Also he seems to lose his shirt roughly once every three episodes. Apart from the pilot and a few brief glimpses of bra, Scully is a sex object in a pantsuit or scrubs, which I think is refreshing, really.

The whole point of small potatoes was that NotMulder actually showed some human interest in Scully's life instead of just being a weirdo, and she was taken in by it because she enjoyed feeling a little closer to him. That was my take on it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just watched Grotesque and I wish we got a full blown shot of Kurtwood Smith in demonic form. The atmosphere and dread carried the episode, as I didn't fully believe in Mulder's obsession and meltdown.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Any update on the HD remasters? I've been trying to get into this show for quite some time but can't get past the absolutely terrible video quality. :(

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Doflamingo posted:

Any update on the HD remasters? I've been trying to get into this show for quite some time but can't get past the absolutely terrible video quality. :(

Don't tell me you're one of those people. You shouldn't have any difficulty in ignoring the bad video quality and watching the show for the plotlines and the characters. That is, if you truly want to 'get into this show'.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I finally watched Pusher. I don't know if its because I watched while still a little groggy but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. The finale pushed(heh) it over for me though. It was a good episode for sure, just wasn't great liked I hoped.

EDIT: I am starting up this Indian one, Teso Dos Bichos. I got a bad feeling about this.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
God, Scully is such a badass so far. She's shot at so many things (with varying degrees of success) so far. Just stone cold killed a bank robber. Really enjoying season one so far. Beyond the Sea was a massive standout. Brad Dourif always does a fantastic job. Pretty excited to take in the whole series. After a bunch of Star Trek, I have to say the X-Files is a lot more willing to use interesting camera shots and lighting. It's honestly a bit refreshing.

E. Figures, as soon as I say Scully's being a badass she gets handcuffed to a radiator for most of the episode. :v:

apophenium fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 27, 2014

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
"That's too bad, because the next rape you experience will probably be your own in prison."

Holy poo poo. They don't say things like that on network television anymore.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Doflamingo posted:

As far as I'm aware, the only thing we know is that they exist and they're being shown on television in Germany. I believe they're somewhere in Season 2.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

James Woods Fan posted:

"That's too bad, because the next rape you experience will probably be your own in prison."

Holy poo poo. They don't say things like that on network television anymore.

You don't watch enough SVU, though even they have to be more subtle about it these days.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
X-Files can be subtle when they want to. At one point Mulder semi-jokingly threatens Scully with being sent to a women's prison with a cellmate who "reads a lot of Gertrude Stein".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

X-Files can be subtle when they want to. At one point Mulder semi-jokingly threatens Scully with being sent to a women's prison with a cellmate who "reads a lot of Gertrude Stein".

Large Marge!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

Awesome stand-up comedian and Silicon Valley actor Kumail Nanjiani just started a new podcast: The X-Files Files,
in which he intends to go in-depth and talk about his favorite episodes X-Files or at least the really good episodes.
This week opens with Pilot/Deep Throat:

http://www.feralaudio.com/show/x-files-files/

It's pretty good!

This podcast is really amazing. He gets some very thoughtful guests who are also incredibly funny. And he was recently contacted by Autumn Tysko, a very early internet reviewer who posted really smart reviews that I can remember being one of the first things I read regularly on the internet. She got bored with the show around 1999 and disappeared, and for years afterward people would post about what happened to her or where she went ( she was internet famous from the early days of the show, but just did reviews). It was kind of a thrill to hear from her.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

This podcast is really amazing. He gets some very thoughtful guests who are also incredibly funny. And he was recently contacted by Autumn Tysko, a very early internet reviewer who posted really smart reviews that I can remember being one of the first things I read regularly on the internet. She got bored with the show around 1999 and disappeared, and for years afterward people would post about what happened to her or where she went ( she was internet famous from the early days of the show, but just did reviews). It was kind of a thrill to hear from her.

I remember reading her reviews too... man, that was a long time ago. And I like the guy from Silicon Valley. I'm going to have to check this out now. I had it bookmarked and never got around to listening to it.

Webbeh posted:

As far as I'm aware, the only thing we know is that they exist and they're being shown on television in Germany. I believe they're somewhere in Season 2.

Yeah, there hasn't been any news or developments since January when I started this thread. It has to be released on blu-ray at some point, it just has to. If Twin Peaks got a blu-ray release, you would surely think they would do the same justice for the X-Files.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

This ancient website has all her reviews http://www.syndicateconsortium.com/sites/autumntysko/

It also has this, which is a little creepy http://www.syndicateconsortium.com/sites/autumntysko/smiles.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Exploder posted:

I remember reading her reviews too... man, that was a long time ago. And I like the guy from Silicon Valley. I'm going to have to check this out now. I had it bookmarked and never got around to listening to it.

Yeah, there hasn't been any news or developments since January when I started this thread. It has to be released on blu-ray at some point, it just has to. If Twin Peaks got a blu-ray release, you would surely think they would do the same justice for the X-Files.

I forgot to mention that he's also started reading old usenet posts from the original airings of each episode, originally from alt.binaries.scifi and then from one dedicated to the show. It's fascinating to hear what trolling was like at the dawn of the internet, and to see how people watched this show in the context of 1993 television. When "Eve" aired a bunch of people thought that clones were a big part of the mythology and that Mulder was an Adam.

• Locked thread