Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FRINGE posted:

Reminder to people moving to LA: the LAPD is (in)famous for a reason. Your every interaction with them could be your last and its something you need to fully understand before you interact (carefully) with them.
I know this will turn into a white-knight invasion from another subforum, so I will not post about it again, but this is actually something to think about if youre moving into the LA area. The police here are very dangerous and very much immune to repercussions. Interact with them when you need to, but never forget this.

Don't you think your being a tad hyperbolic when cautioning someone that living in LA will cause them to get shot by the police?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

FCKGW posted:

will cause
Since I didnt say that, its not really a relevant question.

They should be treating as local dangers though. *Use as needed.

*Use at own risk.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Everyone I've ever met who has lived in LA was not murdered by the police, explain that one seor safety.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I tried to cross a street once and a cop yelled at me. Also today I got cut off on my bike today by a cop ripping down the street weaving in and out of the bike lane. And then later on had to ride around a cop stopped in the bike lane. In a sense my time was murdered because it took me a few extra minutes to get some coffee.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FRINGE posted:

Since I didnt say that, its not really a relevant question.

They should be treating as local dangers though. *Use as needed.

*Use at own risk.

Ok well it's such an exceedingly improbable event that I think it should be given as much pause as say the chance of getting killed by a palm tree.

So yeah, to anyone moving to LA, be on the lookout for cops and palm trees.

EDIT: or earthquakes since that's another one people like to freak out about. So yeah, please consider the minute possibility you will get murdered by the police or squished by a freeway onramp.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 13, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

Everyone I've ever met who has lived in LA was not murdered by the police, explain that one seor safety.
Defeated. :negative:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Cops generally suck but at least I am white and drive a newer model clean BMW so it could be alot worse.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Don't you think your being a tad hyperbolic when cautioning someone that living in LA will cause them to get shot by the police?

Only cop I ever saw shoot an unarmed, unresisting man was LAPD. Don't know what he was doing in Gardena; they have their own department.

Anecdotes are not statistics but that made a very strong impression on ol' me.

I mean, he was a French-speaking black guy, so if you're white or at least not black or latino or Tongan you're probably pretty safe.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I've been involved with a number of police shooting cases across the US and what you're describing is a nationwide issue, not a specifically Los Angeles problem.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I knew a guy from Lebanon who also wasn't killed growing up in Lebanon. I'd still caution anyone going to Beirut to be careful because it's not as safe as here.

Still, having said that: LA traffic is orders of magnitude more dangerous for your health and safety. Don't move to LA if you have serious asthma. Also if you've never lived somewhere with ridiculously bad traffic before, hoo boy are you in for a treat.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Beirut seems cool from that one anthony bourdain episode.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am brown, so I guess thanks for the hot tip.

Thank you for the responses guys. I really appreciate the word.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Also if you've never lived somewhere with ridiculously bad traffic before, hoo boy are you in for a treat.
Ive given up trying to explain this. People have to experience it.

"The map says if we just run down Pico its a pretty short trip!"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Ive given up trying to explain this. People have to experience it.
Seriously. We just went for spring break and I'd been in LA twice before, but its traffic is like childbirth. You forget just how bad it is until you're experiencing it again. Maybe its some kind of protective mental process.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"We'll be staying in San Francisco for a couple days but we thought we would head down to Disneyland for a day trip, it doesn't look too far. "

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FCKGW posted:

"We'll be staying in San Francisco for a couple days but we thought we would head down to Disneyland for a day trip, it doesn't look too far. "
People from the east coast really have no concept of just how big California is. At college graduation, I was moving to LA and my roommate was going to graduate school at Cal and his mother said that was great because we could still see each other all the time. I didn't have the heart to tell her that we were going to be about as neighborly as Richmond VA is to Hartford CT.

On the other hand, Californians have no concept of time, and you get places like Los Angeles where anything built before 1950 is described as "historic".

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Leperflesh posted:

Also if you've never lived somewhere with ridiculously bad traffic before, hoo boy are you in for a treat.

Definitely. Bay Area traffic really sucks during commute hours (7-9; 3-6) but given that it's such a tiny place with lots of people constricted by a couple bridges, it's expected. It's actually pretty drat impressive that traffic isn't too bad most of the time.

But LA is almost marvelous in how bad traffic is. It can be like 11 PM at night and you'll get into traffic in an 8 lane freeway for no apparent reason.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember last time my dad and I were driving down to Irvine around 5, it took until like 7:30 to actually make it to Orange County. It was just a really slow crawl down I-5 :shepicide:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Xaris posted:

But LA is almost marvelous in how bad traffic is. It can be like 11 PM at night and you'll get into traffic in an 8 lane freeway for no apparent reason.
Literally true, and still no one believes it until they are locked on the 101 or 405 at midnight.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That happened to me in the Bay Area, but it was because of "police action" in oakland at 4am.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

Thankfully you can use Waze, Sigalert, and public radio to find out about how bad the jam is and if you'll need to take an hour long detour around the 101 to cover the last 20 miles to your house. Granted that was Ventura County but the principle still applies.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

FMguru posted:

On the other hand, Californians have no concept of time, and you get places like Los Angeles where anything built before 1950 is described as "historic".

In the words of Steve Martin in LA Story: "Some of these house are over twenty years old!"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

RandomPauI posted:

Thankfully you can use Waze, Sigalert, and public radio to find out about how bad the jam is and if you'll need to take an hour long detour around the 101 to cover the last 20 miles to your house. Granted that was Ventura County but the principle still applies.

Been using Waze for the past few months here in SoCal and I love it.

Must. Get. Points. :xd:

FMguru posted:

Art Deco architecture!!!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Any advice for a couple of non-drinking non-partying non-golfing mid-30s :canada: tourists going to Palm Springs in mid May? We've never been but we managed to have fun in Vegas despite being such bland fuddy duddies so surely there's something to do. We're staying in town at a major hotel and will be flying directly to PSP (local airport).

My wife is eyeing El Paseo for shopping.

Is it gonna be scorching hot/too hot to go outside by mid-late May?

FCKGW posted:

I tried a spontaneous trip to the grand canyon from Vegas at like 4pm once. Oops.

Although for me everything in the southwestern US seems close since in Vancouver there's Seattle 3 hours away and jack poo poo for thousands of miles otherwise.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 15, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Palm Springs can be well over 100 in May, it's why the rates drop so much.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Palm+Springs+CA+USCA0828

Since you aren't golfing you wont' have to get blasted by it for hours on end though. You might want to stay in downtown Palm Springs and just go visit Palm Desert, lots of dining and close to the mountain tram if you want to get some cool air and a hike in.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Basically do stuff outdoors until 11am and then shop and relax for the rest of the day.

Then you go out to eat after the sun goes down.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

leidend posted:

Any advice for a couple of non-drinking non-partying non-golfing mid-30s :canada: tourists going to Palm Springs in mid May? We've never been but we managed to have fun in Vegas despite being such bland fuddy duddies so surely there's something to do. We're staying in town at a major hotel and will be flying directly to PSP (local airport).

My wife is eyeing El Paseo for shopping.

Is it gonna be scorching hot/too hot to go outside by mid-late May?

I tried a spontaneous trip to the grand canyon from Vegas at like 4pm once. Oops.

Although for me everything in the southwestern US seems close since in Vancouver there's Seattle 3 hours away and jack poo poo for thousands of miles otherwise.

The palm springs tram is also pretty cool, plus it is a good 20-30F cooler up there.
Joshua tree NP is also actually pretty scenic, but it may be too hot to do anything but car tour. If not, there are some nice hikes -- bring water!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Palm Desert has a cool zoo called Living Desert too. I went there a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed for what I thought was a lesser known zoo.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Near the airport there's a WWII military aviation museum that I found pretty interesting. You might too, depending on how interested you are in old warbirds.

Edit: definitely go to the tram though

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Stuff that happens in LA keeps making the national news (fire! flood! fire truck crash!) and my grandmother will call frantically begging me to stay safe and be careful because California is a very dangerous place. (I live in San Mateo.)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That air museum in Palm Springs is kick rear end. Do it. It's amazing how HUGE planes like the P-47 Thunderbolt are in person.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Speaking of huge, go see the Endeavor (among other cool space and avionic poo poo) at the Children's Science Center. Admission to the center itself is free and Endeavor is like seven bucks and you get to stand under the shuttle. Just a bit too high to reach out and touch. If you think poo poo that's been to space is cool, there you go.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

If you think poo poo that's been to space is cool, there you go.

This is not a matter of opinion FYI.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Oracle posted:

Speaking of huge, go see the Endeavor (among other cool space and avionic poo poo) at the Children's Science Center. Admission to the center itself is free and Endeavor is like seven bucks and you get to stand under the shuttle. Just a bit too high to reach out and touch. If you think poo poo that's been to space is cool, there you go.

Endeavor is free if it's not a day where you have to reserve a ticket, otherwise the ticket is "free" with a 2 dollar service fee.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Is there anywhere I can find Dulce de Leche around Irvine or the Bay Area? I found some at Wholesome Choice in Irvine, but it's chocolate and $8.49 a jar.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

A can of sweetened condensed milk and a few hours on the stove*?

*or one of the many other ways to make it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Pretty much any Mexican grocery should have a heap of it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

BeeSeeBee posted:

A can of sweetened condensed milk and a few hours on the stove*?

*or one of the many other ways to make it.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/28374-dulce-de-leche
Here's what seems like a real easy-street recipe so long as you've got an hour and a half to kill.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ah, thanks.

My Argentine buddy told me that it's tough to get it "juuuuuuuuuust right," and that his family usually just buys theirs from the store. Guess I'll try that recipe out.

...this really is a lovely place to not have a car.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thanks for all the Palm Springs help.

The living desert zoo looks awesome. We don't have a good zoo in town. Only concern is my wife is deathly afraid of snakes, can we avoid them pretty easily?

The tram looks interesting but a little less exotic considering we live next to these

Still will check it out if we have time though probably.

• Locked thread