Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

WhiteHowler posted:

Nope. Entered the last sector with 2 x Flak 1, Flak 2, and a Fire Bomb. The flagship never knew what hit it.

Just one more C variant to unlock (not including the Lanius, which I haven't unlocked the B for yet).

Well, it's a good thing that the Lanius doesn't have a C variant then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blackray Jack posted:

I have a question. How on earth are you supposed to get vision of every room on an enemy ship without using sensors on the slug cruiser?

Teleport your slugs over. Slugs get vision on rooms adjacent to them, so spread the slugs throughout their ship until you have full vision.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I had the weirdest flagship fight. I mind controlled the 'lone gunman' on stage1, but my defense drone got hit by a laser and my teleporter was hacked. So it teleports out not only my mantis in the missile room but the mind controlled lone gunman in the laser room as well. But now I couldn't cheese the boss which is simply unacceptable, I refuse to give the flagship a fair fight.

To fix this, I had to time their cloak perfectly so I could double-bomb their hacking system, mind control a different crewman, teleport them onto my ship, recharge the teleporter and teleport them back into the laser weapon room, and accomplish all this just before they re-cloak so when they repair the hacking system 1 pip the flagship wont teleport the new lone gunman out immediately. Once mind control expired it was a done deal, the flagship had a new lone gunman and she stayed there for the next 2 stages. :toot:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Goddamn I hate the Slug-B. The game didn't give me any weapons until the end of sector 6, so I was running away from automated scouts (it gave me tons) and Zoltan. I was really scrap-poor and went up against the flagship with two Flak-1's, and my starting Artemis and Healing Bomb.

The result:

I thought I was completely doomed, especially when my clone bay took a massive hit from missiles and got set on fire.

I sacrificed my Mantis boarding crew to do the last couple of hits on the flagship, which basically saved the run. You'll be remembered, guys.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 13, 2014

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
Yeah, I think flak might be a little bit too good, but drat is it fun. Mind controlling the pilot for the first volley brought the shields down to completely damaged.

TacMan fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 20, 2014

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think that with mind control and hacking, in addition to all the previous methods, there are so many ways to drop an enemy's evasion that a weapon that sacrifices accuracy for damage isn't much of a tradeoff.

Also, finally unlocked all the ships! Now to only ever use the ones I like.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Lanius-B is a fun ship :D

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
How different is easy from normal to hard? I'm nearing 1 for 15 or 20 on easy at the moment. I used to be able to beat the game no sweat on any ship in normal. Its almost discouraging to play at this point I'm so terrible.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bob A Feet posted:

How different is easy from normal to hard? I'm nearing 1 for 15 or 20 on easy at the moment. I used to be able to beat the game no sweat on any ship in normal. Its almost discouraging to play at this point I'm so terrible.

Normal is 25% less scrap rewards than Easy (or is it that Easy is 25% more than Normal? One of those.) Also, according to one of the devs, the sector difficulty ramps up earlier after sector 1, the higher your game difficulty is set. So for example, sector 2 on Normal will roughly feel like sector 3 on Easy, in terms of the enemy ships you see and how strong they are.

As someone who has recently transitioned from Easy to Normal myself, I can say that the difficulty jump is significant but it feels natural. I was pretty much dominating with every ship layout on Easy, able to hoard tons of scrap, getting a bunch of luxury upgrades at the final sector, and overall able to make a ton of impulse purchases at early stores that I could later sell. Normal punishes bad choices harder, but I learned enough to make fewer of those. Basically upping the difficulty level by one notch is keeping the game challenging and rewarding.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 13, 2014

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

WhiteHowler posted:

I sacrificed my Mantis boarding crew to do the last couple of hits on the flagship, which basically saved the run. You'll be remembered, guys.
But not by the game! :v:

(I find it hilarious how the end game text doesn't recognize the efforts of anyone who died)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Am I the only one who started playing this game on normal? Playing on easy felt like admitting weakness :v:

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
I got FTL'd pretty hard today was having a great run in slug A. Got an ion blast 2 in first sector then a heavy ion and flak in 3rd sector. Basically use the ions to lock down shields and med bay then use the bio beam to kill crews(only used flak on auto drones). This ship is kicking butt all game capturing every ship without scratching them im loaded with scrap good augments the whole nine yards. I get to the boss he qwikly hacks my oxygen and missles my med bay right off the bat. Full crew dead by aspyxiation.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So I've got a Lanius A going, trying to unlock B, and I found a shop that's selling both another Chain Laser (me having started with one) as well as a Charge II laser. I still have both my starting chain laser and ion stunner as well as a lovely random burst laser I i picked up - should I buy another chain laser or the charge II laser? or both?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Wren610 posted:

I got FTL'd pretty hard today was having a great run in slug A. Got an ion blast 2 in first sector then a heavy ion and flak in 3rd sector. Basically use the ions to lock down shields and med bay then use the bio beam to kill crews(only used flak on auto drones). This ship is kicking butt all game capturing every ship without scratching them im loaded with scrap good augments the whole nine yards. I get to the boss he qwikly hacks my oxygen and missles my med bay right off the bat. Full crew dead by aspyxiation.

You Do NOT have to stay the fights with the boss. If you get a bad start like that just jump out, heal and try again.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Sigh. Get to flagship, overflowing in scrap, every single system maxed, chain gun, charge gun, ion bomb, flak gun. Can't even kill the first phase of the goddamn loving flagship. This game. :smith: Everyone's all MAX ENGINES (every single missile will hit you anyway, even with max rank pilot and engine guy)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Internet Kraken posted:

Am I the only one who started playing this game on normal? Playing on easy felt like admitting weakness :v:

You're not, I've never played it on easy. Can't say that I've tried hard yet though...

In other news, double shield drone plus drone recovery arm is amazing. I never found a defense drone on that run, but it didn't really matter.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Inadequately posted:

I think that with mind control and hacking, in addition to all the previous methods, there are so many ways to drop an enemy's evasion that a weapon that sacrifices accuracy for damage isn't much of a tradeoff.
Flak cannons can still miss at 0% evasion though (depending on the ship layout - the flagship has enough rooms clustered together that that will basically never happen). Flak I is great but I still prefer BLII.

Wolpertinger posted:

Sigh. Get to flagship, overflowing in scrap, every single system maxed, chain gun, charge gun, ion bomb, flak gun. Can't even kill the first phase of the goddamn loving flagship. This game. :smith: Everyone's all MAX ENGINES (every single missile will hit you anyway, even with max rank pilot and engine guy)
How are the flagship's missiles still a problem when you have enough firepower to kill them within about 20 seconds?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I also only play Normal.

And this is a reason why you should never restart after you get screwed. My first AE run of Mantis B, to unlock Mantis C. The first sector was terrible, lots of ships I couldn't reliably deal with, hull in red, no good items. But I trucked on and at the end of the sector got a free scrap recovery arm. Then got a lot of crew. Now this is how I look at the start of sector 7:

I don't have much stuff to upgrade left. The weapon system itself is enough to kill the boss easily. Add the boarders and yeah... This should be fun.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

The game changes much more than simply scrap rewards. On hard the first sector rewards are in the single digits for the most part, and enemy ships will commonly have extra power in their pilot/engines/shields/weapons so disabling them is a lot tougher than on normal. Their load outs will also improve much quicker and with their improved systems/crew skills boarders can come and go quickly or jump away within one volley to escape and it's not that uncommon to face an enemy early that is almost impossible to defeat.
For example, catching the smuggler/rebel transport event you better have good, fast weapons or he's gone.

The most significant playstyle change for me is that accepting surrenders and fleeing is practically required, and if you flee too many or get bad RNG luck in the first few sectors you enter a death spiral that means even if you can make it to The Last Stand it's impossible to win. I've found myself in the last 1-2 sectors just having to jump to safety with no hope of success.

e: Also you lose the bonus scrap at the start of the game. Totally forgot about that.

omeg posted:

I also only play Normal.

You should never restart after you get screwed.

This advice does not apply to hard. :suicide:

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 13, 2014

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Strumpie posted:

This advice does not apply to hard. :suicide:

Well, hard is a thing all right :v:

omeg fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 13, 2014

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
It's pretty dumb that your crew doesn't prioritize attacking real enemies over mind controlled friends. My mantis just killed my own rock instead of the flagship guy standing right next to him.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
They should make a kind of boarding drone that is super tough but can only enter through external airlocks.

That'd be a nice buff for the crystal ship too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I can't even remember any enemy ships with external airlocks so would that just be a weapon for enemies?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Does the game remember where the rebel fleet is in the previous sector when you start a new sector, or is it always a set number of jumps before they start to show up on that sector's map? Like if I jumped real quick through a nebula sector because I hate them, would it take them really long to show up on the next sector after that?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I've never counted or anything but I still feel like I have a few jumps in a new sector before it shows up, even if I leave the previous sector as the Rebel fleet is basically on top of me.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Does anyone know if the ion intruder stuns your own crew as well? I'm trying to decide if I should get one to help my mantis B boarding party.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm having trouble making it through the game with the first mantis ship. What should I focus on?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wren610 posted:

Just put two into oxygen against hack ships. If they hack oxygen and you have more than one bar, you just got a huge advantage. Hacking oxygen does nothing when you have more than one bar and the system isn't damaged, so you can just ignore the drone while you focus on disabling the enemy ship ASAP.

super fart shooter posted:

Does anyone know if the ion intruder stuns your own crew as well? I'm trying to decide if I should get one to help my mantis B boarding party.

Every other ion weapon will stun your crew when it his them, so I assume it would. That said I imagine you could micro your mantis to avoid it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What's the deal with the ASB or whatever it is shooting at me throughout the final sector? Is there a strategy to avoiding it besides "max engines"?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

What's the deal with the ASB or whatever it is shooting at me throughout the final sector? Is there a strategy to avoiding it besides "max engines"?

Avoid rebel controlled beacons, don't jump to flashing red beacons. Same as every rebel controlled beacon the anti-ship battery will fire at you until you jump.

On hard it's pretty much impossible as all beacons will be rebel controlled in a few jumps, not sure about normal/easy but I'm certain it's slower.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Got offered a Shield and a Defense II drone, I've never used either of them before but I can only afford one? How useful is the "Periodic super shield"?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Strumpie posted:

Avoid rebel controlled beacons, don't jump to flashing red beacons. Same as every rebel controlled beacon the anti-ship battery will fire at you until you jump.

On hard it's pretty much impossible as all beacons will be rebel controlled in a few jumps, not sure about normal/easy but I'm certain it's slower.

It seems like I really don't have much choice over where I go in the final sector, every time I've gotten there since the update I have had to make an absolute beeline to the base to intercept the flagship. You still lose if the flagship gets there before you do, right?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

It seems like I really don't have much choice over where I go in the final sector, every time I've gotten there since the update I have had to make an absolute beeline to the base to intercept the flagship. You still lose if the flagship gets there before you do, right?

No, the flagship needs to spend three or so jumps at the base to win this time.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is true for the Stealth B and maybe a couple other lovely ships I suppose.

Stealth B is awesome once you can actually afford shields.

E: First node sector 3 i meet this little number: Zoltan Ship W/Boarding crew and mind control, two shields + zoltan shield, flak gun plus ion blaster plus breach bomb.

I wonder if it's the algorithm that's broken. You'd think that enemies would appear with a set amount of "points" for distributing along ship upgrades and weapons, but you'd be cruising along killing unshielded auto-assaults in meteor showers, and then the loving ship from independence day shows up and wrecks your poo poo without you being able to do anything about it.

Most roguelikes give you a way out of these situations, this game just pushes a giant gently caress you button, forcing you to hit restart after the first two volleys impact.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 13, 2014

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Zsinjeh posted:

Got offered a Shield and a Defense II drone, I've never used either of them before but I can only afford one? How useful is the "Periodic super shield"?

It's pretty useful in that it blocks missiles, hacking, and boarding but it takes a while to charge. It works well with cloaking because it can usually charge a single shield pip in a lvl 1 cloak time I think. I want to try it on a zoltan ship though.

Defense 2 is kind of lovely because it targets both lasers and missiles. When I tried to use one, it kept shooting down a single ion blast or some poo poo and let all the missiles right through. Defense 1 is cheaper and better at targeting missiles.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Stealth B is awesome once you can actually afford shields.

This is true. I had a stealth B run last night that was one of my best runs ever. The flak-B and the glaive beam are an amazing complement to each other, and with cloak level 3 you have enough time to charge them both up without getting hit. This would obliterate virtually anything in one volley.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Every few seconds it gives you one pip of Zoltan Shield, forming one if you don't have one and strengthening it if you do. Personally I didn't think it was that useful if you don't have cloaking. Since it takes a while to charge up, it doesn't provide you with the immediate benefits of the Zoltan Shield (blocking teleport and mind control and hacking) because enemies will use these on you immediately at the start of the battle. If you take the Defense II, you can shut it down when you don't need it and turn it on when you see a missile. Not perfect, but a bit less luck-based than hoping the Shield charges up every time a missile launches.

Also, ran into a friendly ASB in the abandoned sector, where it was taking potshots at the enemy Lanius. Didn't hit once, but still a nice find.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Notorious QIG posted:

Playing the Fed C, very first jump is a shielded auto scout orbiting a sun. :ftl:
That actually is incredibly easy to beat with the C configuration. You just have to realize that you have to kamikaze with your sole mantis.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

pogothemonkey0 posted:

It's pretty useful in that it blocks missiles, hacking, and boarding but it takes a while to charge. It works well with cloaking because it can usually charge a single shield pip in a lvl 1 cloak time I think. I want to try it on a zoltan ship though.

Defense 2 is kind of lovely because it targets both lasers and missiles. When I tried to use one, it kept shooting down a single ion blast or some poo poo and let all the missiles right through. Defense 1 is cheaper and better at targeting missiles.
Thanks for the tip, though I ended up using Defense 2 and I noticed the downsides you mentioned. Despite that I had one of my best runs so far and finally killed the boss. Slowly getting back into the groove I had before I took a long break from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

pogothemonkey0 posted:

The Defense II is much improved in AE. It will easily shoot down 2 lasers in a volley and only uses 3 power now instead of 4.

Other than on the Flagship fight (Due to the huge amount of weapons fire) it should effectively stop missiles and seriously limit the effectiveness of lasers. Or maybe I'm just super lucky and my drones work all the time.

• Locked thread