Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bastard Tetris posted:

I have a bit of a doozy.

Several years ago I took over the family estate as trustee, and the poo poo I've seen is just insane. My grandmother passed, with a poorly-written will that my aunt re-wrote once my grandmother started slipping due to dementia. Said aunt is in her sixties now, and is the worst person at money I have ever seen. I will preface this by saying upfront that she is obviously bipolar and has had an amphetamine habit for almost three decades, and I've tried everything I can to get her in treatment instead of repeatedly incarcerated. Here we go!

Her behavior towards her mother compelled a judge in a probate case to apply a 20 year restraining order against her.

Hired her meth-head friend to be the property manager of an apartment complex, leaving a half million dollar mess for me to deal with, along with the lawsuits.

Lived in one of the rental properties and managed to turn it into some hideous vortex of feral cats and out of control QVC spending. Just thousands of square feet filled with lovely consumer garbage that will just get thrown away. There isn't a secondary market for this crap.

She has always claimed to be an animal lover, but is utterly incapable of taking care of any actual pet- hence the feral cats. She had a cat living with her in Nevada that her dipshit boyfriend ran over with an ATV. As an animal lover, she wanted to get this animal the best treatment she possibly could. Life Flight took this cat over 200 miles to UC Davis, where the attending veterinarian said "uh this cat is in 3 pieces, why the gently caress didn't you euthanize it?" and promptly did so. Total cost: $34,000.

From what I've figured, the estate was valued somewhere around 15-20 million dollars at the point my grandmother passed away. The remaining beneficiaries aside from my psychotic aunt are my sister and I, and it's a crazy thought to think that I'd be a multimillionaire if it wasn't for a crazy drug addict that blew everything on amazingly stupid poo poo. Fortunately my sister and I do ok for ourselves, but it's completely depressing to see that I could have easily started a company, a philanthropic organization, or who knows what else, if it wasn't for an insane woman destroying four generations of inherited wealth.

She is 61 years old and has never worked a day in her life.

What a terrible story and exactly the kind of thing I think about when people say "people who have a lot of money obviously earned it, stop being so lazy and bootstraps :smug:"

That lady sounds like she pissed away enough money that would have gotten a small town on its feet again or saved a ton of students from their debt.

So mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
http://www.gofundme.com/HopeGirlFixtheworldQEG
"$30,276 raised by 506 people in 2 months."
Watch that loving video, holy poo poo. I've never heard of GoFundMe either but I'm about to fire up Windows Movie Maker and scam the gently caress out of some idiots.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You can Life Flight a cat?

If you pay for it. Most air ambulance services are run on a for-profit or at-cost basis. $30-35k sounds about right for a chartered medical flight.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
One of my exes seriously didn't understand the idea of delayed gratification. He was underwater on his car as his previous fancy sports car had been totaled in an accident, plus owed his mom money on other debts. He would whine about not having much money while buying a bunch of poo poo like RC helicopters that he'd use two or three times and then never touch again constantly. When I suggested one time that he should be saving his money instead of spending it, he said in a hurt tone, "You don't have to be so mean about it".

Later on in the relationship, he managed to pay off his debts to his mom, totaled his car, decided not to get a replacement, and got a slightly better-paying job, which cleared up a lot of his debt. His lease was up, and he decided to move closer to his job. To be able to afford to move though, he had to cash out his 401K entirely. And once he'd moved in, he decided to purchase a Great Lakes server rack and a Lego Imperial Star Destroyer AND a glass case and stand to put it in, all of which are not cheap. At the same time, he would be constantly short on money and sometimes would just eat macaroni & cheese for a week cause that's all he could afford.

I also used to work with a guy who turned down both of our company's 401K and insurance plans (which were both decent plans). His reasoning for the 401K was that with inflation, he wouldn't make any money from the 401K, and instead was planning to make money from investing, mainly from investing in condos (we live in the US), because he knew some guy who made money that way.

He turned down insurance because he said he rarely has to go to the doctor and didn't want to pay for it. I brought up that we did have plans for people like that, and that it was still good to have insurance in case of emergencies. He replied saying that he had cut his leg badly the previous year and just hadn't gone to the ER, and pulled up his pant leg to show a long scar on his leg. He was so proud of it that I had a hard time not laughing, so I didn't ask him what would happen if he got hit by a car.

lambeth fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 13, 2014

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Jastiger posted:

What a terrible story and exactly the kind of thing I think about when people say "people who have a lot of money obviously earned it, stop being so lazy and bootstraps :smug:"

That lady sounds like she pissed away enough money that would have gotten a small town on its feet again or saved a ton of students from their debt.

So mad.

When I wrote a check to the IRS for several million dollars of estate taxes, I wasn't even mad, at least some percentage of that was going to Medicaid or something.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
When my grandfather passed, my step-grandmother destroyed his most recent will so that everything would pass to her as a surviving spouse. He wasn't bad with money but bad with planning - he never made copies of his recent will to give to anyone. My dad's side of the family found the lawyer he'd used to draw up the will and fought back, eventually ended up getting most everything except the real estate since her name was on it. She was a racist homophobe, but his death really brought out the bitch in her like I'd never seen before.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My great-grandfather on the other side of the family was a gold miner and built a ranch in Arizona. He remarried in his 50s and lived into his 80s.

Now, my great-grandfather and his new wife had a common-law marriage and never formally married. So when he died, guess what happened?

My step great-grandmother testified in court that my great-grandfather was her "hired help". She took the ranch and everything else outside of a trust that was split among the grandchildren. My family was cut out entirely.

Oh yeah - my step-great grandmother was a millionaire before coming into our family. She died, but her family still squats the ranch and has our family heirlooms rotting in a semi-truck on the property. We are not allowed on the property.

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
How is that possible? Wasn't the ranch in his name? Couldn't any one of his children testify that he wasn't her hired help?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

HoogieChooChoo posted:

How is that possible? Wasn't the ranch in his name? Couldn't any one of his children testify that he wasn't her hired help?

I'd wager the ranch was in both of their names, so her testimony + her name on the deed to the ranch would trump the testimony of just about anybody, considering they have no official paperwork saying any of that stuff belongs to/should have been bequeathed to them.

Have a will, folks, even a hilariously out of date one can be pivotal in keeping that one rear end in a top hat in your family from weaseling their way into anything & everything.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
My uncles pissed away my dad's inheritance (probably a few hundred thousand) on booze and gambling while my grandmother was still alive.

In a situation like that, by the time you find out it's being stolen from you a lot of it is gone, and then all of it is gone by the time you can hire a lawyer to stop it. And then once it's all gone you can't get blood from a stone, so you go "aw shucks, better luck next time" and never talk to your family again.

Why are we being responsible with our money again? So it can ruin our future descendents' families?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lambeth posted:

Great Lakes server rack

Why would he buy this? Does he actually have a legitimate need for a server rack?

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?

oldskool posted:

I'd wager the ranch was in both of their names...

But wouldn't his name on the deed throw up huge red flags if he was just "the help"? And once you add in testimony of the family....

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

HoogieChooChoo posted:

But wouldn't his name on the deed throw up huge red flags if he was just "the help"? And once you add in testimony of the family....

Not a lawyer, but my mom worked for them for a while: The deed only cares about their identities. How they were related doesn't come into play. A & B on the paperwork, A dies, B's entitled to A's half regardless of whether A & B were siblings, married, complete strangers who one day decided to buy a ranch because why not we're having a midlife crisis...unless A bequeathed their half of the property to somebody else via a will, it's going to B.

And what Rick Rickshaw said likely came into play as well; by the time you find out the inheritor is a shitdick that'll keep stuff you really should inherit for selfish purposes, it's too late to do anything but find a will or lawyer up, and without a will there's not much you can do but drag it out in court and hope they go broke before you do.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

oldskool posted:

Not a lawyer, but my mom worked for them for a while: The deed only cares about their identities. How they were related doesn't come into play. A & B on the paperwork, A dies, B's entitled to A's half regardless of whether A & B were siblings, married, complete strangers who one day decided to buy a ranch because why not we're having a midlife crisis...unless A bequeathed their half of the property to somebody else via a will, it's going to B.

B only receives A's half automatically if the deed established one of the forms of ownership which includes "right of survivorship" (google "joint tenancy" or "tenancy by the entirety"). If A and B owned their respective halves severally (google "tenancy in common"), then A's 50% interest passed through his/her estate.

And just to be a pedant: You "bequeath" personal property (e.g., jewelry, vehicles, etc.) to your heirs, but you "devise" real property (e.g., houses, land, etc.).

Edit: To further clarify, if the deed established a joint tenancy with right of survivorship, then it doesn't matter if B devised his interest to somebody else--it automatically goes to A. The right of survivorship established in the deed trumps the will.

Cranbe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 14, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Fun (well it amuses me) fact a female executor is an executrix.

Cheradenine
May 29, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Fun (well it amuses me) fact a female executor is an executrix.

And a female janitor is a janitrix. :eng101:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

HoogieChooChoo posted:

http://www.gofundme.com/HopeGirlFixtheworldQEG
"$30,276 raised by 506 people in 2 months."
Watch that loving video, holy poo poo. I've never heard of GoFundMe either but I'm about to fire up Windows Movie Maker and scam the gently caress out of some idiots.
Oh my god. You have got to be making GBS threads me.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Oh my god. You have got to be making GBS threads me.

I think the religious undertones are the best part. I had to stop and rewind when I heard the bit about her father being very spiritual and downloading plans. Uhh...what does being spiritual have to do with downloading plans and who is he downloading these plans from? I bet it's Jesus. He's building a Jesus Generator(TM) to help spread the One True Power to the world.

The other one I caught was the bit about how he is "anointed" to bring this product to the world. That is a really strange word to use outside of religious topics and to see it applied to something like this is really odd.

I get the impression that many of the backers are not native English speakers which makes me feel bad.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ugh. Talking about how free energy devices have been confiscated by the government for national security reasons, too.

Taking money from rubes that don't know better. Despicable.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm very thankful that I don't have to worry about big inheritance fights. And I'm not sure if it's smugness or being an elitist first world jerk but if someone died and left me say, $10k or something, it wouldn't change my life at all. It wouldn't buy us a new car or pay off our mortgage, it would likely just get dumped into savings until we knew what we wanted to do with it.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm very thankful that I don't have to worry about big inheritance fights. And I'm not sure if it's smugness or being an elitist first world jerk but if someone died and left me say, $10k or something, it wouldn't change my life at all. It wouldn't buy us a new car or pay off our mortgage, it would likely just get dumped into savings until we knew what we wanted to do with it.

You'd have to be homeless level poor for 10k to change your life.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker

Bloody Queef posted:

…No? How about working poor, for whom that would allow the purchase of a reliable used car?

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Or break a lease, and move somewhere else? Or even just pay rent for a year?

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Bloody Queef posted:

$10k wouldn't let anyone retire, but that could be half to a quarter of somebody's personal or even household income depending on the state.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bloody Queef posted:

For many couples that's a six-month emergency fund. It depends what you mean by "change your life" but 10k is very nice if it essentially doubles your emergency fund(or allows you to dump 5k more into your 401k for a couple years).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Might not exactly fit the thread but since inheritance chat is going on...

I offer a different perspective. When my grandmother passed away it was a family poo poo show. She has terrible cancer. There are two factions of the 7 siblings on that side. 3 dirt poor and generally bad people, 2 successful, 2 do just fine. So she has terrible pain inducing cancer and we know she has maybe six months to live. The two successful guys (my dad and favorite uncle) do some research and find a place in Ohio about 4 hours from my grandparents that has an experimental treatment (this is back in 95) and my grandparents decide to go for it. We all know that the treatment will not cure her but has the chance for her not to be in pain. Well the poor side of the family is just pissed since we are spending their inheritance. I huge fight ensues and I don't see any of them for 5 years. Meanwhile my grandma gets to have her last thanksgiving, Christmas, and easter in no pain and then die peacefully in her sleep. These people would rather have seen the $5-10k then their mom be pain free and die in peace.

Then my grandfather lived to be 98 (died in 2009) and spent all the inheritance, maybe just to spite those jerks. Who took care of him the last 5 years when he couldn't remember anything? The 2 brothers who took care of mom obviously.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Bloody Queef posted:

Homeless level poor? That's loving rude. I'd understand saying that 10k wouldn't drastically change anyone's life who has good savings, but to go as far as to say homeless level poor? Come on Queef, get off your high horse.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My dad had a 1961 Fender Stratocaster that he purchased for $400 in the early 70's. It's a beautiful, highly collectible instrument worth upwards of $20k. It is the instrument I learned to play guitar on, and we all have memories of him playing it.
It's always sort of been the family joke (but not really a joke) that we'd all fight for it when he died, as it is the most valuable/interesting/memorable asset he owns.

They've had money problems for a long time, stemming from a period of unemployment/underemployment where they were putting groceries for 5 kids on credit cards. Now they both work as teachers, and are still having money problems.

A few years ago, he came up with the idea to sell his guitar to pay down credit card debt. I thought it was a great idea, stuff is just stuff, and getting out of debt is a smart thing to do. One of my sisters opposed it, saying that they were just going to get into more debt again, and in a year they'll be in just as much debt as before but no longer have the cool guitar.

He sold it to Joe Satriani and made over $20k from it even after consignment fees. That was three years ago, and they still have credit card debt and no more cool guitar :smith:
If I ever get an enormous windfall of money, at least now I know who to contact to try and buy it back.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Veskit posted:

Homeless level poor? That's loving rude. I'd understand saying that 10k wouldn't drastically change anyone's life who has good savings, but to go as far as to say homeless level poor? Come on Queef, get off your high horse.

Welp that seemed to anger people. Not my intention.

Having double an emergency fund or bring able to break a lease are not life changing events.

I'd consider life changing to be stuff like "enough money to retire now" or "enough to create a buffer so I can finally be a poet"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Bloody Queef posted:

Having double an emergency fund or bring able to break a lease are not life changing events.

I'd consider life changing to be stuff like "enough money to retire now" or "enough to create a buffer so I can finally be a poet"
See canyoneer's post for what BQ is talking about. It's theoretically plausible for people to be one break away from a big success story, but regression to their mean state is much more common.

This isn't a just-world argument, it's just that median lifetime earnings in the US are waaaaaaay higher than 10k.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would say going pay check to paycheck working 2 jobs to get by to having $10k is pretty life changing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spwrozek posted:

I would say going pay check to paycheck working 2 jobs to get by to having $10k is pretty life changing.

Nah, that's just like a 60" TV and a down payment on a new SUV.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Bloody Queef posted:

Where would you put being 100% debt free? Not life changing?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Veskit posted:

Hopefully not.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Veskit posted:

It might make one credit card or car loan debt free, but 10 Gs isn't going to free you of your mortgage (unless you were super close to paying it down anyway) So... still not life changing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

But a lot of people rent, so if the money literally removes all of their CC debt and thus frees up a large amount per month that lets them change how their life works...that sounds life changing.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

silvergoose posted:

But a lot of people rent, so if the money literally removes all of their CC debt and thus frees up a large amount per month that lets them change how their life works...that sounds life changing.

If someone is in that much CC debt and then they magically had it erased they'd most likely go right back into CC debt.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Talented writer gets undergrad paid for by her parents, lands a full-ride MFA followed by a fellowship, and is living in one of the lowest cost parts of the country. So of course she goes $40,000 in debt for "linen curtains and homemade granola".

http://thehairpin.com/2013/11/how-my-obsession-with-furnishing-a-future-put-me-nearly-40000-in-debt

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bloody Queef posted:

Not change your life? 10k will get you nearly two 8-day yoga retreats in Bali!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

baquerd posted:

Talented writer gets undergrad paid for by her parents, lands a full-ride MFA followed by a fellowship, and is living in one of the lowest cost parts of the country. So of course she goes $40,000 in debt for "linen curtains and homemade granola".

http://thehairpin.com/2013/11/how-my-obsession-with-furnishing-a-future-put-me-nearly-40000-in-debt

As a graduate student with and overly developed sense of nesting and nearly 10k of credit card debt, I almost cracked my teeth reading this it was so painful.

Sure, the lifestyle is romantic. I am guilty of living beyond my means to give myself motivation to keep living. But now I feel shame, and I am fixing it, and working hard in a way I wouldn't have to if I'd always been smart and self reflective. That she says she doesn't feel shame? That is so damaging it hurts me to read.

• Locked thread