Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Rookersh posted:

So realtalk with a few spoilers?

Brilliant, thank you! This write up is very interesting - and I've actually played some of Consular and found it a tad dull. I did love Kotor 2 a ton though.

I might try Agent, although I do like the idea of Hunter - I may flip a coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damage8185
Mar 29, 2010

IchGestalt posted:

This was some great advice, thank you! I am leaning more towards Agent or Hunter, but I can't decide which now. I prefer the Agent's animations and ship, but prefer the idea of being a freelancer on this character. Choices! How bad are the BH spawn-in animations(Like Missle Launcher basic skill they get)? And thank you all for the awesome advice!

Depending on how far you zoom your camera out, you go from being able to see every little detail to not noticing at all. Also, if you stay with the "traditional" BH sets, you don't notice it at all since they have built in flamethrowers/missile racks on the gloves.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Eimi posted:

Edit: Also if you are apprehensive about playing Empire, I went into the game hating them, but the game is very slanted against the Republic. After playing an Empire character I like them alot better. I won't exactly say the Empire are the good guys, but I feel much better about playing them than I do Republic nowadays. Both factions are pretty horrible in universe.

Haha what? This is literally the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

The Imperials have five (I have counted!) quests involving breaking into republic bases to kill their wounded, inorder to 'scare' them. They have multiple others (mostly on Corellia, Belsavis, and Balmorra) that are literally 'go kill these civilians to make the people resisting us surrender.'

They intentionally subvert and scare the Voss, putting thoughts into their head that they don't belong, so they can use them as tools in their war.

The Republic isn't scot free - Dyne mentioned one of the big bad things they do (the Balmorra Planet questline involves a superweapon that can wipe out every ship in a system. Though, he gets it wrong - the cannon doesn't kill all LIFE on the planet, it just strips a majority of mineral wealth from it, leaving an unstable planet on par with Makeb, that might collapse at some point.) But claiming that the Empire is much better than the Republic is blatantly wrong/creepy. I mean, the Republic discusses how they're not allowed to use torture. Meanwhile, the first quest an Inquisitor gets on Korriban is learning how to properly torture someone.

They also discuss (I believe in the Trooper storyline) that the republic cannot and does not murder criminals - even those on par with mass genociders. The whole reason Belsavis exists is because the republic cannot legally justify executing prisoners, Sith or otherwise. Is sending them to a secret planet where they're never allowed to contact loved ones a little extreme? Maybe but... meanwhile, the Jedi discuss how anyone captured by the Sith during the first war was either corrupted to the dark side or murdered as the treaty was had. And on Dromund Kaas you're explicitly informed that breaking the law in Sith space is almost always a death sentence - the Sith decide whatever punishment they want for any crime.

On Imperial Taris you meet a woman who mentions that she was convicted of genocide and warcrimes in the republic, for her actions in the first war, but the Empire is quite happy to use her research, and gives her plenty of funding on how to perfect it!

The Empire is loving creepy and Evil with a capital E when it's being competent. Luckily for most people, the Empire is incompetent, and as stated above almost all the sidequests are more along the lines of 'Hey I sent 20 squads to their death, and now I might lose my promotion! You uh, wanna go handle it for me so I don't?"

I have very strong opinions on the Empire, because people seem to love defending them - the class missions themselves are able to be finished lightsided acceptably, as are most planet quests, but a ton of their sidequests should justifiably give darkside points.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 13, 2014

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

I have very strong opinions on the Empire, because people seem to love defending them - the class missions themselves are able to be finished lightsided acceptably, as are most planet quests, but a ton of their sidequests should justifiably give darkside points.

It shows a tad - but I don't think I entirely disagree with you. I noticed it some when leveling my Agent back around launch with the comically evil empire.

Part of me does wish Jedi got better ships, or that there was another class republic side - as I've heard Trooper storyline is a bit dull, and.. Well, Jedi is a tad cliché so far and I doubt it's getting better. I could level another Smuggler but that'd be a bit odd.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah, I mean, like whatever faction you want to like - but if you like the Empire, don't claim they're better than the Republic or something. I mean, unless you're a libertarian, I think everyone can agree that the Empire is objectively a worse place to live, as well as a much harsher and uses much more disgusting tactics.

I mean, they won the first war by inviting the republic to a peace conference, then sending in their ships to attack coruscant, and then bombarded civilian zones, until the Republic decided 'okay, okay we'll sign this treaty that everyone will dislike because you're killing billions of non-combatants!'

The whole appeal of the Empire is that when it gets its head screwed on and it does something actually smart? It's brutally efficient. They don't worry about collateral damage, or even how many of their own people die. They're terrible but effective people. Or should be - we honestly don't see much of that.

Meanwhile, the Republic in setting is mostly horrible because it's over extended, and overly tied up in policies that just don't work in war. They've got rules, regulations, all kinds of things they aren't allowed to do without permission from X and Y. Even the Supreme Chancellor has to have the okay of a majority of the Senate to do anything regarding war. And the Jedi aren't any help - they advocate non-action until it becomes horrible, just like what caused Revan to go to war in KOTOR.

Both of the sides are bad, but one's evil and incompetent, and the other is just incompetent.

Edit: Note: The republic has a lot of people in it (General Garza is a big one, as is the person on Balmorra) who are high up and want to change the Republic - Garza openly says that they need to become more like the Empire if they are to ever crush it, in regards to the Trooper going 'we can't use bioweapons, why are you making me grab the imperial research into one'. So again, they aren't scot-free morality wise.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 13, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I dunno, as an inquisitor the empire seems pretty awesome! :science:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Both of the sides are bad, but one's evil and incompetent, and the other is just incompetent.

You're either ignoring or unaware of some of the comic book villain stuff the Republic gets up to.

Just from memory, on Belsavis scientists were running a gladiatorial deathmatch between various alien species in order to gather data on how to kill them more efficiently. On Alderaan, there's the researcher who asks you to find out why the Kiliks are acting so violently. When you find out that it's due to a machine from one of the rival houses scrambling their brainwaves and driving them mad, she says "Oh, well now that we know how it works, we can use it against our enemies."

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nipponophile posted:

You're either ignoring or unaware of some of the comic book villain stuff the Republic gets up to.

Just from memory, on Belsavis scientists were running a gladiatorial deathmatch between various alien species in order to gather data on how to kill them more efficiently. On Alderaan, there's the researcher who asks you to find out why the Kiliks are acting so violently. When you find out that it's due to a machine from one of the rival houses scrambling their brainwaves and driving them mad, she says "Oh, well now that we know how it works, we can use it against our enemies."

Don't forget anything involving the SIS. They're aggressively dickish when they're not incompetent.

Having played through both sides storylines, it's obvious the Republic is just as hosed up. They just put a veneer of being the arbiters of justice and peace on things. Whereas the Empire is far more honest about their evilness and will straight up execute you for stepping even slightly out of line.

Neither are particularly good. Though I guess the Republic seems better on the face of it unless you're one of those people who happen to be stuck on a literal death camp planet while the Jedi :smug: about how enlightened they are (while doing nothing) in the distance. Or you live outside the core planets, which seem to get poo poo on at every opportunity by the Republic. Or you were born as any caste except a noble on a planet like Alderaan. Then you might harbor a bit of a grudge against them.

Really, given how hypocritical and sometimes genocidal the Republic can be it's kind of obvious why some planets went head over heels to join the Empire before they realized they were just as bad.

Edit: And that's not even counting all the hints of how corrupt the Republic senate is.

Like nine tenths of the quests involving them have them getting caught out in participating in horrible poo poo that has more in common with imperial actions. Like the senator that is actively supporting and supplying slavers, which is something the Dark Council does by default. Or the guy who's working with the freaking Black Sun. The Senate just covers it up, whereas a Dark Council member would electrocute you for suggesting it was wrong.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 13, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Nipponophile posted:

Just from memory, on Belsavis scientists were running a gladiatorial deathmatch between various alien species in order to gather data on how to kill them more efficiently.

This one is unjustifable - though when you report it, you learn that the senator in charge of it was charged with enough crimes to be imprisoned for life, and he openly admits to having done it behind the government's back.

quote:

On Alderaan, there's the researcher who asks you to find out why the Kiliks are acting so violently. When you find out that it's due to a machine from one of the rival houses scrambling their brainwaves and driving them mad, she says "Oh, well now that we know how it works, we can use it against our enemies."

Sort of a technicality here, but she's technically a House Organa member. And if you tell her superior what she suggested, her superior gets disgusted, and demands she give up her post and return at once.

The big difference between Imperial and Republic comic book evil sidequests is that almost all the Republic ones at least let you go 'wow you're evil. Time for you to go to prison!'

Also the Imperials explicitly use the torture devices the republic find in their Alderaan quests, without a choice to it, to attack Republic positions.

So again - on one side you have people actively encouraging evil actions as a standard for their nation, and on the other you have a few bad seeds who are punished for their evil actions. Again - you can like the evil faction, but the Empire is very much Evil. Even if the Republic is also evil, it is the lesser of two. Obviously this means the real good guys of the setting is the Hutt Cartel.

And Garza, if you disobey your orders and refuse to do darkside actions, admits that she can't punish you, because she'd have to explain what she tried to have you do, and that'd be bad for her. You can threaten to squeal on her, but it doesn't go anywhere. Presumably because getting rid of your contact you keep for the rest of the game on the first planet you ever visit post-coruscant would be a little hard.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 13, 2014

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Well, I still can't decide on a class. Bugger. I do agree with the thoughts expressed about the Republic and Empire though - Republic isn't perfect, but it's a less barbarically evil place than the Empire. I just wish their story lines were as interesting and their ships as good, but I suppose this is personal choice.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I really enjoyed my Trooper, Smuggler and my consular. I kinda stalled out on my consular on JC, but only because I'd gotten to act 2 on one a few days before I started the one I made on JC.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's just my personal feelings, though I suppose as a 40k fan, the faction that actively represses xenos instead of the one that has me taking orders from them has a place in my heart. I'm just saying I never really felt like a hero on the Republic side. The way I see it, the Empire is the one with its back up against the wall, trying to retake its ancient homeworld, while being massively outnumbered and outgunned by the Republic. If it wasn't for the Sith being always stupid evil, they'd be scrappy underdogs.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

But... that's not at all what they're doing? Their back isn't up against a wall (until chapter 3), and they're not trying to retake their homeworld (Korriban is their homeworld, they already own it, the Republic didn't care about it before it became a sith training ground in an open war). Nor are they outgunned (though they are outnumbered.)

The Sith lost a war with the Republic ten thousand years ago. They decided to hide on Dromund Kaas. Ever since then, they've been explicitly preparing their revenge, making plans to slaughter the republic/jedi and take over the entire galaxy. They're not scrappy underdogs at all!

Plus there's the whole 'the Empire is ruled over by an entity whose ultimate goal is to consume all life in the galaxy' thing.

I mean your argument is basically "If the Sith were nothing like the Sith actually are, and had all these motivations the Sith don't actually have, they'd be the heroes of the story!"

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 13, 2014

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

But... that's not at all what they're doing? Their back isn't up against a wall, and they're not tyring to retake their homeworld. Nor are they outgunned (though they are outnumbered.)

The Sith lost a war with the Republic ten thousand years ago. They decided to hide on Dromund Kaas. Ever since then, they've been explicitly preparing their revenge, making plans to slaughter the republic/jedi and take over the entire galaxy. They're not scrappy underdogs at all!

Plus there's the whole 'the Empire is ruled over by an entity whose ultimate goal is to consume all life in the galaxy' thing.

My understanding of Star Wars lore in general might just be terrible. I thought they were basically kicked off Korriban long ago and the recent war has been to take it back/get revenge. And the story seems to hint that the only reason the Empire got anywhere in the war was because of how brutal they were. The Republic way outmans them and it was just surprise/brutality/trickery that got the win.

The Emperor on the other hand is pretty indefensible, and I hope the player and Marr get a chance to confront him and end him.

Edit: I mean, changing the Empire is something that the Lightside warrior endeavors to do, and the Agent could do it. As well the Makeb story with Marr is along the same lines of wanting to reform and change the Empire. So it's not an untenable position to take that it could be changed for the better.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 13, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The sith basically go like this - Dark Jedi fled the order after being told their views on how they are special and all people should bow down to them. They find Korriban, populated by the Sith species. These Sith are almost all dark sided, and the planet itself resonates with the Dark Side. However, they're... pretty drat weak. They've never been trained to fight, and the Dark Jedi have lightsabers.

The Dark Jedi (all humans) decide the Sith are lesser for this, and slaughter them until the Sith species declares them the rulers of the planet. The Dark Jedi spread teachings on how to fight to their minions, in return for the Sith teaching them alchemy.

The first Sith are born when the dark jedi use this alchemy to warp the sith race into being biologically compatible with humans, and start making babies.

A few hundred/thousand years later, these Sith rise up a few times, starting wars, finally the final one starts and they go big, and start wiping out all life around them, declaring all other non human or non sith species as lesser. The Jedi step in, as well as the proto-republic, and fight them off. They don't take this lying down, and continue to war for decades. Eventually, the Sith homeworld (korriban) is found, and the majority of Sith flee to the unknown regions, plotting to wipe out the lesser species that DARE TO OPPOSE THEM, THE TRUE RULERS OF THE GALAXY.

Humans and even aliens find the ruins and holocrons the Sith left behind, and these become Sith as far as what KOTOR/KOTOR2 had.

At some point, the Sith Emperor is born, a vastly powerful darksider with the ability to consume living beings to add to his own force power. When he eventually takes over, he starts warping the Sith to be even more evil - their only reason for existence is to take over the entire galaxy because they're superior racially! He's charismatic and also can control minds, so it's pretty effective.

The Empire then spends thousands of years preparing. The Emperor touches Revan and Malak's minds to corrupt them to the dark side, to make sure they cripple the republic before the Sith return. Except then KOTOR happens, and Revan becomes good again, charges the emperor, etc etc. The Emperor is weakened greatly, as well as having to deal with imprisoning and corrupting Revan, so he quiets down a bit. When he starts waking up again, he orders they enter the galaxy and wipe out the Republic.

They stage a blitzkrieg, basically, and wipe out life on multiple republic planets, taking over many more - despite having a hundredth as many citizens as the Republic, the Republic wasn't prepared for a threat that large. Militarily, the Empire had better weapons, more ships, and employed conscription, meaning every single member of the empire could be forced to fight, while the Republic fields less than .1% of its population in military roles. Even more to the point, the Empire could focus all its forces wherever it wished to attack, while the republic had thousands of planets it was obligated to protect, cutting its military force into a tiny amount.

Once the Republic starts being able to fight back, the Empire negotiates peace with their brutal sacking/bombing of Coruscant. This is partially caused by them taking over more territory than they could effectively control - in the course of a few years, they had fifty to sixty times the amount of planets as the hidden Empire did.

An important thing to note is that Korriban was completely unguarded - the Republic lost all records of where it lay in between Kotor 2 and SWTOR. The Empire could have returned to the galaxy and taken it at any time. But it was never about that - the Empire is literally fueled by a need for conquest and 'cleansing the races'.

Edit: The empire isn't unchangable, but in their current form they are very evil. Even Marr is a very evil man, who justifies the sacrifice of innocents, his own people, entire planets, to defend the Empire. He's just kinda progressive on the whole 'master race' thing.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 13, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Power to absorb living being? Bah binding force ghosts is where it's at.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Consular really depends on how much you care about Star Wars lore.

The actual Chapter 1 plot is a bit boring, but it makes up for it in lore. You learn about the first Jedi/Sith war, you learn about True Gray, you learn about the first Lightsabers. You learn what the sand people really are, more about Hutt culture, and even get a fairly indepth backstory on all of the Alderaan houses, and what caused the infighting/fighting. While the reason you are on a planet might not be the best, you get a ton of backstory nobody else does while on those planets.

And then you hit Chapter 2/3 and end up saving the Republic singlehandidly, by rebuilding the Republic and crushing the main Imperial army.

I felt the Consular had the strongest of the Republic storylines after I forced my way past Coruscant.

As for the "debate". 9/10 Empire quests are about committing warcrimes, and 3 out of those 9 are about committing warcrimes on your own faction. Meanwhile 8/10 Republic quests are about helping people, 1/10 is about a corrupt person ( who you can always report/they lose their job ), and 1/10 are "just as bad" ( who you can report and they lose their jobs. ).

Saying they are similar because one faction has a single guy that takes bribes, while the other firebombs refugee camps before teatime is laughable.

^^^^My Consular's force energy is literally that of every force user in the galaxy. Force Ghosts ain't got nothing on that.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
It doesn't matter because this is Lucasarts and the Republic are good guys so they will win. Star Wars is a fantasy game, and the good guys always win except in kotor2 but we don't talk about that anymore plz dont ask about kreia or holes in the force ok thx.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Good guys don't lose in KOTOR 2 so that's what counts.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

dont really win either

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

A Curvy Goonette posted:

It doesn't matter because this is Lucasarts and the Republic are good guys so they will win. Star Wars is a fantasy game, and the good guys always win except in kotor2 but we don't talk about that anymore plz dont ask about kreia or holes in the force ok thx.

They plugged the holes with the body size 3 males. Curse this choice paralysis, it is dumb.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Good guys lose all the time, haven't you seen the prequels? The entire premise for TOR was the Republic getting wrecked by the Imperial invaders.

TOR doesn't do too much with KOTOR 1 either - there are references but it's treated as irrelevant stuff from the past, unless its Revan or Cartel shop items.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

Good guys lose all the time, haven't you seen the prequels? The entire premise for TOR was the Republic getting wrecked by the Imperial invaders.

TOR doesn't do too much with KOTOR 1 either - there are references but it's treated as irrelevant stuff from the past, unless its Revan or Cartel shop items.

we don't talk about the prequels

and even if we did you'd have to view them in their complete context, which still ends with the good underdogs beating the big bad oppressive angry dudes

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well I think there's one thing we can agree on is that the Empire has charisma coming out of its ears. Granted I've only really played Jedi Knight and Trooper, and not for long as the trooper is too OH RAH REPUBLIC, but aside from generic reasons as to their good guy ness I never really had a reason to like the Republic. I mean Satele and the Jedi Council may as well be emotionless robots from what I've seen.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tezzeract posted:

Also, Selkath. Because apparently they're going to be a thing in this upcoming arc. One of the new cartel packs even has underwater gear.

I hope you liked Manaan in KOTOR! :shepicide:

KittyEmpress posted:

The sith basically go like this - Dark Jedi fled the order after being told their views on how they are special and all people should bow down to them. They find Korriban, populated by the Sith species. These Sith are almost all dark sided, and the planet itself resonates with the Dark Side. However, they're... pretty drat weak. They've never been trained to fight, and the Dark Jedi have lightsabers.

The Dark Jedi (all humans) decide the Sith are lesser for this, and slaughter them until the Sith species declares them the rulers of the planet. The Dark Jedi spread teachings on how to fight to their minions, in return for the Sith teaching them alchemy.

Also, this omits the fact that the original Sith were implied to be darksiders that really had their poo poo together. It's heavily implied that they respected strength for instance, instead of backstabbing their way into getting it. Modern Sith are kind of like kids doing the angsty poser thing without really understanding why the original Sith were so grimdark and edgy.

To put some perspective on it, they were a slave race that single handedly crushed the Rakata in a straight fight. The only reason they didn't end up a galactic power is that they were pretty book dumb, and no one remembered how to construct the Rakatan technology they stole and used to help beat the Rakata into submission. Which lead to a slow decay in their civilization until a bunch of :smug: dark side leaning Jedi showed up and appropriated most of their culture and came up with their own self centered version of their beliefs.

We get to see how an empire devoid of Sith being lunatic bastards works in Legacy. Turns out it's pretty awesome since Star Wars is a setting that's doomed all the time. Having a benevolent militaristic superpower nearby comes in handy when some ancient batshit insane Sith comes screaming out of the nearest black hole every other monday while riding a superweapon designed to eat planets.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 13, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tezzeract posted:

Well, yeah, KOTOR1 happened centuries ago.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Think I've settled on trying Trooper properly - what advance class is recommended? Commando or Vanguard? I know Vanguard is a Melee tank/DPS and Commando is a Ranged DPS/Healer. I recall back when I was raiding in ToR (Around launch, Vault and Karagga) that Vanguards were a mean tank and Commando's were really, really strong DPS.

Which one is more fun to level with solo (as in, not grouping) or able to hold it's own more? Also, is the assault cannon a tad silly visually or does it tend to grow on you?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Rookersh posted:

So realtalk with a few spoilers?

The Imperial questgivers are not really on your side in any sense on any of the Imperial classes. This is a good thing, because unlike the Republic questgivers, they are all horrifically incompetent/sadists. Around half the quests for any given planet are "can you help me destroy the Empire so I might have a chance at a promotion?" or "I didn't get my promotion, do severe damage to nearby Imperial troops.". I eventually just started skipping the average Imperial quest info, because it was pushed so hard I stopped caring.

However, with that said, the Agent, Bounty Hunter, and Sith Warrior are able to subvert this by pointing out how loving stupid everyone is at every opportunity. Once you get off Kaas with any of those classes, you are able to start attempting to stem the tide of Imperial stupidity ( or join in if that's your thing. ). A LS Sith Warrior will do his best to fix the Empire up to not be so crazy, while a LS BH/IA get some options near the end that allow their characters to wipe their hands of the mess.

Although if we are talking main story quality? The Jedi Knight has the worst storyline in the game, especially if you enjoyed KotOR2. It never really gets better, just much much worse. If you want to be an actual Jedi that does Jedi things, I'd recommend a Consular over it, it's got a bit of a slower start, but it's much better. As for BH/Agent, Agent has the "best" storyline in the game, just not very Star Warslike. Bounty Hunter has no real connection to anybody/anything until the very last act, so it's mainly just 60 hours of "get paid son.". This is fine if you don't really need any sort of plot twists in your storyline, but I found it got dull pretty quickly.

I really enjoyed playing my male consular. Like, much much more than my Smuggler or JK thus far.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

wtftastic posted:

I really enjoyed playing my male consular. Like, much much more than my Smuggler or JK thus far.

Isn't one of the Consular companions basically Dr. Kriegar?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Eimi posted:

Isn't one of the Consular companions basically Dr. Kriegar?

It looks like it? I haven't watched enough Archer to know.

Also, on the whole Sith vs. Jedi, Empire vs. Republic thing, one of my favorite NPC lines (or maybe its an inquisitor line) is "Each Sith is the ultimate individual". It explains why they do weird stuff and gently caress each other over all the time- there's no real reason you CAN'T decide to be unselfish, but as a Sith there's also no duty or obligation to not be a spazzbot who tortures people to death all day long in an agony dungeon! The sith who chose to serve the idea of the Empire/ the Emperor for whatever personal reasons are the ones who don't look loving insane. Marr is a terrible person, but he's a good leader. Gravus basically doesn't even give a gently caress anymore, but he's ruthless and dedicated, and so on and so forth. Then you get people like Thanaton, Thana Vesh, and Baras where yes, absolutely as sith they are well within their rights to behave the way they do, but they more or less gently caress over everyone else to MAX OUT their sithiness. Although its debatable as to why Baras does what he does- does he want to play Emperor or does he think he can save the Empire? And with Thanaton, some of the fluff/ background stuff makes it sound like the whole SLAVE RISES TO POWER IN TIME OF TURMOIL thing hits too close to home. Also Jadus and Malgus are weird because they kind of fall in between, I don't even know how to address them.

republic is boring, SO loving BORING

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Consular was THE Jedi experience for me. Knight was fun, if you want to play as an up and coming Jedi cracking wise, goofin' around the galaxy and doin' good. Consular though is very Obi Wan / Qui Gonn and you become the most powerful Jedi in history while literally stopping the war and saving the universe several times over.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rookersh posted:

As for the "debate". 9/10 Empire quests are about committing warcrimes

There's an Imperial quest on Taris where you break into a hospital and infect the kolto tanks with the rakghoul virus, because the republic are looking to use said hospital. :v:

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Rasmussen posted:

Consular was THE Jedi experience for me. Knight was fun, if you want to play as an up and coming Jedi cracking wise, goofin' around the galaxy and doin' good. Consular though is very Obi Wan / Qui Gonn and you become the most powerful Jedi in history while literally stopping the war and saving the universe several times over.

Consular is fun, my Shadow is my primary character with 40 days played but man is the voice actor real bad. He takes the no emotion thing too far, no matter how great the galactic evil may be he always sounds like a college professor reading the phone book.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The trouble with Star Wars is that it's not really a setting of nuance when it comes to the factions. We all grew up with Star Wars and know the Empire to be evil and the Republic to be good because that's what Han, Luke, Leia fought for. So ingrained is the Empire being horribly evil that it'll do so until a company like Obsidian comes along and writes shades of gray into a black and white world - at least as far as video games go. I think that sort of thing is just beyond what Bioware is capable of.

The best morality idea they ever had was in Jade Empire with Open Palm and Closed Fist, on paper. Where one was open charity and harmony where the other was strength and discipline but in execution it ended up being Good and Evil. If they ever revisit that setting I do hope they take another crack at getting that stuff right. I like the idea of inspiring the helpless to fight ala The 36th Chamber of Shaolin rather than outright fighting their battles for them, which Open Palm essentially was.

Edit: I do a search for "goon" in-game but I'm not sure who is able to invite my character to the guild. Who should I ask?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 14, 2014

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Eskie posted:

Which nights work best for you?
What times work best?
What role/roles do you play?

Following up on this:

Nights: Sunday, Wednesday, Friday, sometimes Monday
Times: 7:00 to 11:00 GMT -4/-5 (depending on DST)

Roles-
Otcela: Marauderp (DPS) - Mostly 162/168 gear
Araer: Bounty Hunter (DPS/Tank) - Still in mostly 156

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

IchGestalt posted:

Think I've settled on trying Trooper properly - what advance class is recommended? Commando or Vanguard? I know Vanguard is a Melee tank/DPS and Commando is a Ranged DPS/Healer. I recall back when I was raiding in ToR (Around launch, Vault and Karagga) that Vanguards were a mean tank and Commando's were really, really strong DPS.

Which one is more fun to level with solo (as in, not grouping) or able to hold it's own more? Also, is the assault cannon a tad silly visually or does it tend to grow on you?

Honestly it just comes down to taste: if running up to dudes and blasting them with an electricity cannon/rifle butt/fire and bombs seems fun, go vanguard. If hanging back and machine-gunning/exploding everything sounds more fun (with the option to heal if you'd like to try that), go Commando.

To put it in predator terms, Vanguard is Schwartzenegger, Commando is this guy

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Consular is fun, my Shadow is my primary character with 40 days played but man is the voice actor real bad. He takes the no emotion thing too far, no matter how great the galactic evil may be he always sounds like a college professor reading the phone book.

Yeah, I like Nolan North, but consular wasn't a good role for him. He's good at playing snarky and witty, whereas the consular was more of a monotone wizened master type; Nolan North's voice didn't really make sense coming out of his mouth. He'd have made a better Smuggler.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I much prefer the female VA, I couldn't go male for reasons you mentioned.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Can Agents still get the option to tell the Empire to gently caress off in the end if they didn't spare Ardun Kothe? Because the dude literally mind controlled me and letting him live would've been incredibly loving dumb.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Fojar38 posted:

Can Agents still get the option to tell the Empire to gently caress off in the end if they didn't spare Ardun Kothe? Because the dude literally mind controlled me and letting him live would've been incredibly loving dumb.

First of all he didn't mind control you, the Empire did. He just stole their mind control password.

And sort of. MAJOR SPOILERS RIGHT HERE!!!!

At the end of the Agent storyline you get three/four choices. If you do not kill Ardun Kothe, he shows up at the end and offers to let you become a full time Republic agent inside the Empire, if you give him a piece of awesome tech you find. He accepts that you're a good person, and he's a terrible one. You can tell him to gently caress off (darkside) or tell him you can't trust him with this, because you know how he abused mind control, which he accepts as being a fault of his, and then lets you leave (lightside) or you can defect to the republic (though only in story, and even tht is sorta.. .grey. It's never really mentioned.). If you do kill him, an imperial/sith team shows up to take that piece of tech. They demand you give it to them and you can either kill them or give it to them.

Either way you go, if you take the tech back to the Minister of Intelligence, you can either go 'gently caress the empire' and become a solo agent (lightside) or you can demand Keeper hand over the technology for the Sith to use, and stay with the Empire. (darkside)

Also, about the original sith earlier - They're implied to, as a race, have been naturally resistant to the dark side's addictive nature. Unlike humans and.. every other race, basically, they did not constantly crave more and more darkside power once they got a taste. Their culture still revered strength, but it wasn't the addiction that humans get to the dark side.

Basically, the Sith race was awesome. Humans hosed them (literally) and made them non awesome, and became constant evulz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yt2005
Feb 9, 2010
Trying again, hopefully correctly this time:

Looking for an invite, ingame name Sullivar, server is Jedi Covenant, on the Imperial side.

Thanks!

EDIT: Much better result than the last time. Guess it helps not to be incredibly vague. Thanks!

yt2005 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 14, 2014

• Locked thread