Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

mclast posted:

jimi tuned down a half step, yeah? brings the tension in line with .011s or so, heavy but not crazy imo

Ya that's true, but even 11s are pretty heavy if you're going to be doing all the crazy bending dudes like Jimi or SRV did. Wouldn't be so bad on a gibson-scale neck either. You don't really gain anything by it, and I've met more than one person who permanently hosed up their hands trying to emulate so-and-so after a few drinks or bong hits.

The whole "I practiced every day until my fingers bled" is a dumb and dangerous myth, playing guitar shouldn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
lol that's true

kill your idols .010s standard strat scale 4 lyfef

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

reallivedinosaur posted:

Ya that's true, but even 11s are pretty heavy if you're going to be doing all the crazy bending dudes like Jimi or SRV did. Wouldn't be so bad on a gibson-scale neck either. You don't really gain anything by it, and I've met more than one person who permanently hosed up their hands trying to emulate so-and-so after a few drinks or bong hits.

The whole "I practiced every day until my fingers bled" is a dumb and dangerous myth, playing guitar shouldn't hurt.

yeah pain and bleeding is for bass players

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I play .008 strings because Im cool.

And it was Stevie Ray Vaughan who did the heavy string = tone thing. Jimi played 9s like everyone else in the 60s, because nobody made heavy strings back then.

edit: just googled an article, apparently Jimi played a custom set that went .010 to .038. Basically an 8 gauge set with a bigger high e... And he tuned down a half step, so those strings were like limp noodles. This is according to Roger Mayer, the dude who made Jimi's fuzz boxes I guess.

Whatever, big strings are retarded unless you are in a death metal band and have to tune way the gently caress down.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 12, 2014

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

A lot of people think they need heavy strings because they play waaaay too hard on their strumming hand. Raking through the strings like you're trying to make sparks looks badass but does nothing good for tone and control. Once someone pointed that out to me, and I started playing more conservatively with my right hand, I noticed just about everything got better.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

bisticles posted:

A lot of people think they need heavy strings because they play waaaay too hard on their strumming hand. Raking through the strings like you're trying to make sparks looks badass but does nothing good for tone and control. Once someone pointed that out to me, and I started playing more conservatively with my right hand, I noticed just about everything got better.

That's pretty much dead on. All the heavy string players I know or have ever met have dreadful picking technique.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

as a stupid metal kid I went for big strings with a hard as gently caress pick, lol all downstrokes too, and it was stupid as hell but there is something to be said for (however unintentionally) hobbling yourself so when you get a loving clue and tone it down a tad you all of a sudden wow yourself

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
I actually do think that there's a noticeable difference to the sound of different string gauges, but that's just me. Not to say that they have MORE TONE, just that they sound different.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dirt posted:

I play .008 strings because Im cool.

And it was Stevie Ray Vaughan who did the heavy string = tone thing. Jimi played 9s like everyone else in the 60s, because nobody made heavy strings back then.

edit: just googled an article, apparently Jimi played a custom set that went .010 to .038. Basically an 8 gauge set with a bigger high e... And he tuned down a half step, so those strings were like limp noodles. This is according to Roger Mayer, the dude who made Jimi's fuzz boxes I guess.

Whatever, big strings are retarded unless you are in a death metal band and have to tune way the gently caress down.

Jimi experimented with all kinds of poo poo and setups. He played a couple songs on a SG when I saw him.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

My parents saw Hendrix in some lovely auditorium in TX and the whole audience sat in metal folding chairs for a whopping price of $6. Can you even get a beer for $6 at a Jimi tribute band concert? My dad did say that even from several rows back, he could tell that Jimi was using a weird combo of heavier strings because of the TONE. TONE DAD.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
i dunno man on my jazz box where i play jazz chords i use pretty heavy strings and i'm not crippled (yet) but when can i expect the effects to start because i am close to getting social security checks ok

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

bisticles posted:

same but with my masturbation technique

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

Kind of a light top heavy bottom then?

Dec 26, 2012

comes along bort posted:

if you were making sparks before see a doctor

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BUSH 2112 posted:

I actually do think that there's a noticeable difference to the sound of different string gauges, but that's just me. Not to say that they have MORE TONE, just that they sound different.

yeah my baritone guitar has this shimmery resonant boom to it like slamming the low keys on a piano gets you, that doesn't happen with lights

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dewgy posted:

yeah my baritone guitar has this shimmery resonant boom to it like slamming the low keys on a piano gets you, that doesn't happen with lights

A few open chords sound absolutely amazing on the Bass VI if they don't use the low E and A strings.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dewgy posted:

probably has more to do with the longer scale

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I had to look up who the hell you're talking about. She sucks. lol

What's it like to have been wrong about every decision you've ever made in your life?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

comes along bort posted:

longer scale and higher gauge both equal more tension.. but yeah there's things a 30" scale can do that a strat never will

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

comes along bort posted:

possible, but i dunno, they feel really substantial since i put 16s on it (and keep it in B most of the time), that's a solid bit of wobbling steel on that guitar

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
I have an Ibanez hollow body with a bigsby with .13 strings tuned A# F a# D D d.

It's me, I'm the worst.

Jedrick fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 12, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Jedrick posted:

I have an Ibanez hollow body with a bigsby with .13 strings tuned A# F a# D D d.

It's me, I'm the worst.

The only bad thing I see there is the Bigsby. Gross.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Jedrick posted:

It's me, I'm the worst.

I just want to hear the kind of music you make with this crazy contraption.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dirt posted:

The only bad thing I see there is the Bigsby. Gross.

lol

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Heavy strings on a Jag sound percussive as hell, nothing else sounds like it. It's the only reason I keep mine around. That and nobody has paid the $200 I want for it.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

BUSH 2112 posted:

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

I Might Be Adam posted:

My parents saw Hendrix in some lovely auditorium in TX and the whole audience sat in metal folding chairs for a whopping price of $6. Can you even get a beer for $6 at a Jimi tribute band concert? My dad did say that even from several rows back, he could tell that Jimi was using a weird combo of heavier strings because of the TONE. TONE DAD.

my dad saw hendrix and he collapsed on stage after 3 songs and two weeks later he was dead (hendrix, not my dad)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This is a guitar pick. Apparently.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
my mind is trying to make sense of that and it's not happening

gonna need a youtube

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

I just use one of these cause I'm not a scrub:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

mclast posted:

my mind is trying to make sense of that and it's not happening

gonna need a youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2JAZw8dda8

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

:monocle:

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
i just tape my pic to the end of this thing

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Allen Wren posted:

Do you hold it like a gun? A little pew pew gun for you axe?

mclast posted:

i just tape my pic to the end of this thing

Holy loving nostalgia.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I saw Tom Morello blow a bunch of dudes(' minds) because apparently Bruce Springsteen's audience has never heard whammy tricks

E: It was also real weird to see Arm the Homeless playing Badlands but it happened

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 13, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

I saw Tom Morello blow a bunch of dudes(' minds) because apparently Bruce Springsteen's audience has never heard whammy tricks

E: It was also real weird to see Arm the Homeless playing Badlands but it happened

The first time I saw it I thought it said 'I am the homeless' then I was disappointed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Allen Wren posted:

cool a $14 novelty pick made of delrin so it'll wear down to dust in like a week

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Jedrick posted:

It's me, I'm the worst.

I play my Jazzmaster with 9s. It makes some people angry since "9S SHOULDN'T BE ON A JAZZMASTER ARGH! ITS A JAZZ GUITAR"

Shut up I like my 9s

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd put .08's on my Jazzmaster if they were easier to find around here. Though most of the claims that you need .12's come from the fact that the bridge was designed for 'thick' strings back in the day, so it tends to not have enough tension to prevent buzzing (although if you just use loctite then it goes away).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

BUSH 2112 posted:

Here's me playing some riffs interspersed with feedback wankery:

https://soundcloud.com/jedricksa/blah

:siren:ugly guitar warning:siren::nms:

• Locked thread