Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Save your Credits
Maelstrom rounds are great, but when we're this poor, let's not spend 80% of our money on a mission that won't have much of a use for them
Micro Filters
You seem to have great macro, getting gas 25% faster would be the most useful here

Yeah, gonna have to go with this. And Great Train Robbery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lets rob some trains so we can afford us some Siege Breakers :dance:

Are you going to be showing off both the endings of Haven or will you put that off until the campaign is done?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Jimmy and the protoss go way back. Purify the colonists, get Micro-Filtering and save the cash for later.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Micro-filtering and save the cash.

Great Train Robbery.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Voting for Maelstrom Rounds to up the Siege Tank power even further, Micro-Filtering as it is just a better all around upgrade, and The Great Train Robbery, mainly because the series of missions it kicks off are pretty fun.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Micro-filtering and Great Train Robbery. Don't buy any upgrades and save your cash til later for fun junk.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm just going to say one thing: Choosing Haven's mission now will permanently lock us out of some dialogue related to Zeratul's missions. If anyone in the thread wants to see everything from the game, hold off on Haven.

With that out of the way, my votes:

Seige Breakers, Micro Filtering, and The Great Train Robbery.

I'll mirror this vote.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

- Siege Breakers
- Micro Filtering
- The Great Train Robbery.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

my dad posted:

Great Train Robbery.

This. Let's rob that train already so that we can purchase upgrades for our tanks.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Thermite Filaments because hellions are cool
Rob all the great trains.... alternately if the colony mission wins, I vote we protect the colony. What is wrong with you monsters? ;)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kurieg posted:

Seige Breakers, Micro Filtering, and The Great Train Robbery.

With some more Zerg Research we unlock Predators, which are simultaneously the most awesome and worthless unit in the game. They must be shown off.

This dude read my mind- thirding his vote.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

One thing about the colony mission choice here, Blizzard declared at some point which one is canon: Defending the colony is the canon choice.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 13, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Just from that cutscene, Selendis seems pretty cool. I like her.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Just from that cutscene, Selendis seems pretty cool. I like her.

There's a good chance that she will be the main character of the Protoss expansion.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Seige Breakers, Micro Filtering, and The Great Train Robbery. Seems like a good choice to me.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 13, 2014

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Seige Breakers, Micro Filtering, and The Great Train Robbery

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Siege Breakers, Maelstrom Rounds and Orbital Depots, and play Great Train Robbery. That last one is a personal preference though because I found having to build depots in the campaign a loving chore and largely relied on infantry, thus not so much need for gas.

I'll also like to see you use the Diamondback in future missions because I found it utterly useless in any other mission and I'll like to see how it possibly can be useful.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Zeratul you're a dick I'm just saying.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

my dad posted:

Great Train Robbery.

This is a very wise choice. Voting for this as well.

Later we can purify the colonists. The non-Taldarim Protoss are the only ones who are still buddies with Raynor, they go way back.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wastrel_ posted:

I'll also like to see you use the Diamondback in future missions because I found it utterly useless in any other mission and I'll like to see how it possibly can be useful.
Yeah I never found any use for it myself. The only thing I can see it used for is stutter stepless kiting. But it's moving kinda slow for that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Laughing Zealot posted:

There's a good chance that she will be the main character of the Protoss expansion.

Blizzard's already confirmed that Zeratul will be the protagonist, sorry.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Laughing Zealot posted:

Cythereal posted:

However, there's a good chance that she was the protagonist of the Protoss in an expansion. :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Wastrel_ posted:

They'd be a hell of a lot less painful to make if each one didn't eat 4 supply when siege tanks do comparable damage, are slightly cheaper/faster to build and have a lot more overall utility for 3

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Poil posted:

Seige Breakers, Micro Filtering, and The Great Train Robbery. Seems like a good choice to me.

Voting this.

Also, in a segregation of story and gameplay, zeratul decides not to get his wounds treated by the terrans when he is incapable of healing them. Or he just really, really likes being dramatic and didn't want to ruin the mood.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Looking good there, Tychus, but... I don't know, there's something... off about you. Wait: zoom and enhance!

It's a kitty!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

- Maelstrom Rounds
- Micro Filtering
- The Great Train Robbery.

We've put off those trains long enough!

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 13, 2014

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I apparently blocked this from my memory. That was rather disappointing to hear.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Laughing Zealot posted:

I apparently blocked this from my memory. That was rather disappointing to hear.

Probably for the best. I dread to think what Blizzard would do with Selendis as a protagonist, given how they write every notable female character in all of their games.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Let's go rob some trains
Save the cash.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Cythereal posted:

Probably for the best. I dread to think what Blizzard would do with Selendis as a protagonist, given how they write every notable female character in all of their games.

Still, you can expect she'll be in Legacy of the Void. Just not as the main character.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

my dad posted:

Great Train Robbery.

This, please. It is a good vote.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

I've seen this in the HotS spoiler thread, which I'm slowly reading through (because of this LP I caved and bought Heart of the Swarm, congrats!). Blizzard is not treating their female characters worse than the males, for all the good it does them.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Cythereal posted:

She probably doesn't have an rear end for them to make the focal point of a bunch of cutscenes, for what it's worth.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Veyrall posted:

She probably doesn't have an rear end for them to make the focal point of a bunch of cutscenes, for what it's worth.

Yet.

There seems little point in adding yet another vote for the train robbery. I don't quite get the Diamondback hate, though. They were useful armour-killers later; they're like Hellions but bigger and better against tanks. I can see why Blizzard didn't put them in multiplayer, but they're fun to play around with. More use against other Terrans, but I had some success using them as hit-and-run units on a few upcoming missions.

It's a shame the new siege tank unit design goes all-out to be a Baneblade sans skulls. That and their anemic firing sounds in siege mode...man, siege tanks really went downhill in Starcraft 2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Loxbourne posted:

I don't quite get the Diamondback hate, though. They were useful armour-killers later; they're like Hellions but bigger and better against tanks. I can see why Blizzard didn't put them in multiplayer, but they're fun to play around with. More use against other Terrans, but I had some success using them as hit-and-run units on a few upcoming missions.

My problem with all the campaign units is that depending on what you choose to upgrade, a lot of units in the game become redundant. In this thread, we elected to kit out Goliaths. Which is fine, Goliaths are a good unit. But the Haven mission offers the Viking, which fills the same niche as the Goliath, just in a different way. But since we already have maxed out Goliaths, there's no particular point to kitting out Vikings. Diamondbacks are fast anti-tank units, yes, but marauders or siege tanks in tank mode do just as well with a dropship to ferry them around. There's nothing wrong with Diamondbacks, but there are better options for their role except in very particular situations. The Great Train Robbery is designed to showcase those situations, but siege tanks honestly work just as well if not a bit better.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Micro-filtering

Save the cash.

Great Train Robbery.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Cythereal posted:

My problem with all the campaign units is that depending on what you choose to upgrade, a lot of units in the game become redundant. In this thread, we elected to kit out Goliaths. Which is fine, Goliaths are a good unit. But the Haven mission offers the Viking, which fills the same niche as the Goliath, just in a different way. But since we already have maxed out Goliaths, there's no particular point to kitting out Vikings. Diamondbacks are fast anti-tank units, yes, but marauders or siege tanks in tank mode do just as well with a dropship to ferry them around. There's nothing wrong with Diamondbacks, but there are better options for their role except in very particular situations. The Great Train Robbery is designed to showcase those situations, but siege tanks honestly work just as well if not a bit better.

That really shows why they are campaign only. Vikings fill the same role as Gols, but they can also be used for harassment and quick strikes. Tanks fill the same role as Diamondbacks, but can turn into long range firing emplacements with splash damage. Firebats...... Well, that nerfs the bioball, I guess

Loxbourne posted:

There seems little point in adding yet another vote for the train robbery. I don't quite get the Diamondback hate, though. They were useful armour-killers later; they're like Hellions but bigger and better against tanks. I can see why Blizzard didn't put them in multiplayer, but they're fun to play around with. More use against other Terrans, but I had some success using them as hit-and-run units on a few upcoming missions.

It isn't as much hate as apathy, Diamondbacks cost more, do less DPS than mobile tanks, less initial damage than a siege mode tank, and have less practical applications, especially if you have good micro. They're not bad units and it is fun to make them run circles around an enemy base while simultaneously burning it to the ground, but Siege Tanks will never not be a better choice for the money.
Especially with upgrades

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Really? I thought it was supposed to have been Artanis.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Anatharon posted:

Really? I thought it was supposed to have been Artanis.

That was the April Fools joke that also retitled Herald of the Stars so they could use the same acronym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Feinne posted:

That was the April Fools joke that also retitled Herald of the Stars so they could use the same acronym.

No, I mean before Wings of Liberty came out the outline for LotV was "styled after diplomacy, you play as Artanis trying to unite the disparate Protoss tribes".

• Locked thread