Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

wikipe tama posted:

I haven't played these since platinum but i'm kind of curious. Do people even try to collect em all anymore

There's a service where you can pay 5 bucks a year to have an extra 3000 pokemon worth of storage and people use this to assemble an actual living pokedex, one of each pokemon stored away so that the next time they release a game they can transfer in all of their stored pokemon and mostly complete the pokedex.

I imagine it's probably going to go a step further now that breeding can be as structured as it is and we're going to have the first dude with a full living pokedex of 6IV pokemon. Someone is going to do it, I just know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Azzents posted:

For a while now most attacks in the anime consist of some body part glowing...And that's it, it just glows and hurts.

Yeah, every single move, no matter how mundane, has to glow for years now. I don't know if the animators think it looks good or if it just saves on costs, but we've got mysterious white light and miniature explosions happen all over the place in every fight. I'm not saying it can't look good, but it just ridiculous long ago.

VVVEdit: They could go the Iron Tail route and make the claw turn metallic gray.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 13, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Geostomp posted:

Yeah, every single move, no matter how mundane, has to glow for years now. I don't know if the animators think it looks good or if it just saves on costs, but we've got mysterious white light shines all over the place in every fight.

It's slightly more visually interesting than having the trainer yell 'Metal Claw!' and then Scizor just bops a guy with his fist since it's already a metal claw.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Countblanc posted:

The vast majority of people are saying a ban is a bad idea, or at least that it should be a complex ban that's like "no more than two passers per team". It seems disingenuous to copy some random dudes lovely message and be like "lol stupid smogon"

Also Knock Off is sorta silly but also escavalier is the best sooooo.
I may knock Smogon in some of my posts, but they do an excellent job of creating and refining a Pokemon's best sets, EV spreads, and everything else. They're great at what they do, so much so that even with all the recent stuff that's happened they're still my go-to source for what sets are best/most effective for any new Pokemon I want to try out.

I also agree with pretty much every ban they did prior to SwagPlay; Funbro is a retarded battle over who has more time to waste, Blaziken can rip through teams easily, then pass the Speed Boosts to someone else to continue the rampage, facing Mega-Gengar and Mega-Khan on Wireless was/is completely aggravating, and Genesect is an absolute bastard just from the U-Turn version I faced (I'm honestly not sure why banning him was contentious). Mega-Lucario isn't hard for the team I use, but I can still see why he was banned; not everyone has four mons on their team who can easily gently caress him over.

The SwagPlay ban was the first ban over a strategy, not an overpowered mon, with the reason for the ban boiling down to "it's really loving annoying". That's the big difference to me; I don't actually oppose the ban (SwagPlay is annoying as gently caress) but the Baton Pass thing is another example of going after a strategy because you hate playing against it, not because it's overpowered.

TheSpiritFox posted:

I imagine it's probably going to go a step further now that breeding can be as structured as it is and we're going to have the first dude with a full living pokedex of 6IV pokemon. Someone is going to do it, I just know it.
I'm assuming there's some Japanese player who is already halfway through this. Hell if RNG'd or Pokecheck mons count then someone's probably already completed this.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 13, 2014

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Geostomp posted:

Yeah, every single move, no matter how mundane, has to glow for years now. I don't know if the animators think it looks good or if it just saves on costs, but we've got mysterious white light and miniature explosions happen all over the place in every fight. I'm not saying it can't look good, but it just ridiculous long ago.

VVVEdit: They could go the Iron Tail route and make the claw turn metallic gray.

It's likely a cost issue, or rather it being easier to have a glowing hand rather than animate a mon growing sharper claws for the metal claw example.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

TheSpiritFox posted:

With egg moves for breeding; drat that would be a crazy feat.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Azzents posted:

It's likely a cost issue, or rather it being easier to have a glowing hand rather than animate a mon growing sharper claws for the metal claw example.

Oh, it's gotten dumber than just glowing cg crap and energy balls. Rock slide summons boulders from nothing to drop on the opponent, stone edge makes little CG rocks circle around the pokemon to fire at the enemy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Night Blade posted:

Oh, it's gotten dumber than just glowing cg crap and energy balls. Rock slide summons boulders from nothing to drop on the opponent, stone edge makes little CG rocks circle around the pokemon to fire at the enemy.

Those don't really bug me. How else would you get tonnes of rock into a stadium as needed? They're better than the days when Rock Throw was just Onix slamming someone with its tail or Geodude tackling someone.

What bugs me is stuff like Tackle leaving a glowing trail or Pound lighting up or Peck growing into a glowing cone.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 13, 2014

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

I am Reverend posted:

Woah I don't know how those sperglords are gonna be able to handle getting owned so hard.

I want this embroidered on my posting gloves.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

fade5 posted:

The SwagPlay ban was the first ban over a strategy, not an overpowered mon, with the reason for the ban boiling down to "it's really loving annoying". That's the big difference to me; I don't actually oppose the ban (SwagPlay is annoying as gently caress) but the Baton Pass thing is another example of going after a strategy because you hate playing against it, not because it's overpowered.

Well, there was Drizzle+Swift Swim in Gen V. And I'm pretty sure they did ban ingrain+baton pass Smeargle (I think that was the combo) in an earlier gen because of full baton pass teams (they could just do that again couldn't they?). Granted Baton Pass had the ability to pass trapping moves like Mean Look back then.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Toraen posted:

Well, there was Drizzle+Swift Swim in Gen V. And I'm pretty sure they did ban ingrain+baton pass Smeargle (I think that was the combo) in an earlier gen because of full baton pass teams (they could just do that again couldn't they?). Granted Baton Pass had the ability to pass trapping moves like Mean Look back then.

Why did they ban Drizzle+Swift Swim :psyduck:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Toraen posted:

Haquer posted:

Why did they ban Drizzle+Swift Swim :psyduck:
Oh yeah. Drizzle+Swift Swim was somewhat oddball since that was most of OU's first experience to the hell of perma-rain; Ubers players were used to perma-rain from Kyogre and how centralizing it was, but OU wasn't.

Someone else can explain in more detail, but the gist is that under Drizzle you're facing rain boosted water attacks+Swift Swimmers+neutered fire moves+perfectly accurate Thunders and Hurricanes+HydraRest+Dry Skin/Rain Dish stalling; it is absolute hell to face unless you're using Rain yourself.

The ingrain+baton pass Smeargle was really weird since it was a Gen 3 ban that happened in March 2011; B/W were released that same month. Whether that ban was justified or not, it just seems kind of pointless; who the hell is still going to play a competitive game in Gen 3 aside from maybe nostalgia?

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 14, 2014

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
With all these bans I wonder if we'll get to the point where Trick Room is banned as well.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The conclusion I'm drawing here is not that Smogon is dumb babies, but rather OU is dumb babies.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

LEGO Genetics posted:

With all these bans I wonder if we'll get to the point where Trick Room is banned as well.

Trick Room is basically a weather effect with no Ability to bring it (and it also sucks). It's not going to get banned.

It helps that some of the higher-ups actually really like it as a concept, too.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Come to think of it, why ISN'T there any ability that generates a trick room upon entering the battlefield?

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Ignite Memories posted:

Come to think of it, why ISN'T there any ability that generates a trick room upon entering the battlefield?

Because that would be insane for doubles. It's the same reason we'll never get a damp/heat rock equivalent for trick room either.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Raserys posted:

The conclusion I'm drawing here is not that Smogon is dumb babies, but rather OU is dumb babies.

The broad principle behind OU is that it should be as wide-open a metagame as possible and it does a pretty good job of it. When a pokemon or strategy is too centralized it gets sent to Ubers (or for evasion stuff, banned).

Seriously, most of the bans are pretty good ideas. Like, the reasoning for Gengarite getting sent to ubers:

quote:

It is a Pokemon that allows teams to, with near 100% probability, remove specific counters or threats and open the way for an easy victory. This capability is especially pronounced against defensive teams, and to some extent any kind of team relying on slow Pokemons, to the point that the Council believes that Mega Gengar is stifling the development of defensive teams overall. Note, we don't necessarily mean just stall teams (though these are affected significantly), but defensive teams in general. This overall detriment to defensive teams (remember, not just stall) is considered a pronounced negative for the metagame's development (hence why we're not waiting on PokeBank to ban it).

Shadow Tag allows Mega Gengar to trap and kill whatever Pokemon you want it to eliminate, generally the ones that give your team trouble or the ones that stop your sweeper. Defensively, Mega Gengar can easily switch in with its useful resistances and immunities to common types, and offensively, its high Speed and Special Attack stats and access to STAB Shadow Ball with Focus Blast as coverage allows it at least neutrally damage the entire metagame.

It's not that it isn't beatable, it's that it is good enough against everything else that you have to specifically have a counter for it and will probably be running it yourself. Drizzle + Swift Swim was good enough with Water's neutral coverage that a large percentage of teams were rain teams and OU was stale.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

JesustheDarkLord posted:

The broad principle behind OU is that it should be as wide-open a metagame as possible and it does a pretty good job of it. When a pokemon or strategy is too centralized it gets sent to Ubers (or for evasion stuff, banned).

Seriously, most of the bans are pretty good ideas. Like, the reasoning for Gengarite getting sent to ubers:

It's not that it isn't beatable, it's that it is good enough against everything else that you have to specifically have a counter for it and will probably be running it yourself. Drizzle + Swift Swim was good enough with Water's neutral coverage that a large percentage of teams were rain teams and OU was stale.

With DrizzleSwim, Ubers had a lot of counters to it (Groudon and others IIRC) that don't exist in OU, so that's why it got banned. It was a pretty controversial vote last I remember.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
The Project Pokemon team has successfully dumped X/Y and were able to hack in shiny Volcanion and Hoopa. Serebii has the info up on three new moves found on them as well:

http://serebii.net/attackdex-xy/holdhands.shtml
http://serebii.net/attackdex-xy/thousandwaves.shtml
http://serebii.net/attackdex-xy/thousandarrows.shtml

Volcanion is going to be ridiculous to fight against. Let's hope in Z nothing with STAB learns thousandwaves/arrows moves either :stare:

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

Desperate Character posted:

The Project Pokemon team has successfully dumped X/Y and were able to hack in shiny Volcanion and Hoopa. Serebii has the info up on three new moves found on them as well:

Volcanion is going to be ridiculous to fight against. Let's hope in Z nothing with STAB learns thousandwaves/arrows moves either :stare:

What does Light of Ruin do?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Volcanion looks cool both normal and shiny. The thousandwaves/arrows moves look to be really fun to use. Arrows would kick Zapdos's face in so hard.
What the gently caress does "Hold Hands" do, though? "Ally Pokémon hold hands. This makes them very happy." What does that even mean?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

Blaziken386 posted:

Volcanion looks cool both normal and shiny. The thousandwaves/arrows moves look to be really fun to use. Arrows would kick Zapdos's face in so hard.
What the gently caress does "Hold Hands" do, though? "Ally Pokémon hold hands. This makes them very happy." What does that even mean?

Is it safe to assume that Thousand Waves/Arrows are for Zygarde?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm thinking it will give surrounding pokemon a critical rate boost.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
Spiffster - Just thought I'd say that you've got a pretty solid team there. My battle box is pretty unbalanced and has some pretty terrible Pokes it in that I haven't bothered to EV train yet (as you just saw).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hold Hands is probably secretly devastating.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Given the type and anti-air/anti-ground uses, yeah, probably. Right for when it gets its invertible new form/s.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Spiffster - Just thought I'd say that you've got a pretty solid team there. My battle box is pretty unbalanced and has some pretty terrible Pokes it in that I haven't bothered to EV train yet (as you just saw).

No problem, Today was the first time I did online battles. I wanted to test the fruits of my breeding and labor out on people and not AI for once to see what works and what doesn't. Thanks for the test run! :D

Let me know when you get your team fully set up, I'd love to try you at your best :woop:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Geostomp posted:

Given the type and anti-air/anti-ground uses, yeah, probably. Right for when it gets its invertible new form/s.
Yep, it's probably just like Freeze Shock/Ice Burn for Kyurem. Wait, poo poo, does this mean Gamefreak/Nintendo is gonna do a two game sequel again?:doh:

Spiffster posted:

No problem, Today was the first time I did online battles. I wanted to test the fruits of my breeding and labor out on people and not AI for once to see what works and what doesn't. Thanks for the test run! :D

Let me know when you get your team fully set up, I'd love to try you at your best :woop:
Sorry I declined your battle earlier, you had item clause on, and I've got two guys with the same item. If you want to try fighting again right now or sometime tomorrow with item clause off, I'm game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wouldn't surprise me. And for all the flaws of B2/W2 it was a much more interesting approach than the usual third game fare. There wasn't much reason to buy the first two games before when the third was always just a straight upgrade. Not that that stopped anyone, but still. :v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

What does Light of Ruin do?
http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/lightofruin.shtml

Apparently, it's the signature move of AZ's Floette, which also has unique Base Stats.

I love that even with the 3DS's resistance to hacking, we've still managed to find out all the upcoming event stuff months or even years before it's released. Sorry Gamefreak, better luck next time.:v:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What about all the pokemon that don't have hands?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

fade5 posted:

http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/lightofruin.shtml

Apparently, it's the signature move of AZ's Floette, which also has unique Base Stats.

I love that even with the 3DS's resistance to hacking, we've still managed to find out all the upcoming event stuff months or even years before it's released. Sorry Gamefreak, better luck next time.:v:

Is there any way to get the Eternal Flower Floette?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I just hope there's a wider range of clothing in the next games, especially for the guys. I can't get my edge on with just the ripped up jeans, I need the entire ensemble!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Travis343 posted:

You don't necessarily need visible hands to do things that require hands.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Travis343 posted:

Wooper used Ice Punch! Shroomish used Drain Punch/Focus Punch!
Come on man, you gotta use a Pokemon reference in the Pokemon thread.:colbert:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I think I need to finally ask for some help with my team.

I've got a variety of Pokemon I've been using, but my current team for online battling is this: (they're all 4-5V)

Unburden Hawlucha @Hard Stone
Adamant Atk/Spe EVs
-Fling
-Taunt
-Flying Press
-U-Turn

Natural Cure Chansey @Eviolite
Calm HP/SpD EVs
-Soft-Boiled
-Thunder Wave
-Aromatherapy
-Seismic Toss

Poison Touch Muk @Black Sludge
Adamant HP/Atk EVs
-Poison Jab
-Shadow Sneak
-Minimize
-Curse

Moody Glalie @Leftovers
Quirky HP/Spe EVs
-Frost Breath
-Crunch
-Substitute
-Protect

Huge Power Azumarill @Sitrus Berry
Adamant HP/Atk EVs
-Play Rough
-Aqua Jet
-Belly Drum
-Aqua Ring (I should change this)

Blaze Typhlosion @Life Orb
Modest SpA/Spe EVs
-Swift (need to change I guess)
-Eruption
-Will-O-Wisp
-Extrasensory

This is just a working team for online singles. The main 'Mons I use are Glalie, Chansey, and Muk, with Azumarill and Hawlucha rotating in and out depending on the opponents. Typhlosion is mostly there for coverage.
The rest of my stable and previous team members include Milotic, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Murkrow, Dragonite, and Gliscor. I'm thinking about breeding a better Gliscor to replace Hawlucha, or possible Chandelure to replace Typhlosion. Basically, the only two that I feel are working out well are Glalie, Chansey, and Muk, but they still can have issues with common threats like Scizor. So I guess I'm mostly looking for Pokemon suggestions and maybe moveset tweaks.

E: I also was thinking that including a Mega might be a good idea- maybe Heracross or Medicham, since I think they would help round out my type coverage and I've always liked them.

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 14, 2014

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

fade5 posted:

a little bit of patience and some group effort goes a long way
still waiting on the fake GTS server though

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

fade5 posted:

Wooper used Ice Punch! Shroomish used Drain Punch/Focus Punch!

Gotta love google images :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm going to assume that it's like Happy Hour in that its a move that's almost useless in battle but has an effect outside of it (In this case, maybe increasing happiness?)

Or it could be like Celebrate (a move where the Pokémon appears in a present and wishes happy birthday).

• Locked thread