Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Jibo posted:

Only if your dudes are already on the ship. Otherwise you can't beam into there.
On my last Mantis B run, I was able to teleport two of my mantises into a cleared-out enemy ship, to join the mantis and rock guy already situated in their shield bay.

Maybe I found a bug. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Hmm, I just bought sensors for the slug ship and it took my money but no system got installed. Is this normal?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a crystal ship unlock save available for the advanced edition yet?
It's now way easier to get the crystal ship, so you might not require one. If you start as Rock C you don't need to do most of the quest, you just have to find the beacon in the Rock Homeworlds.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Haha, I just discovered that the Slug Cruiser achievement for killing three enemy crewmembers with a single Bio-Beam shot will trigger even if you kill your own crew.

Two enemies were ganging up on my last boarder, and I had a cloning bay, so I figured what the hell.

e: I'm curious about something. What happens if you teleport your last crewmembers over to an enemy ship, and then the enemy destroys your teleporter before you kill their last crewmember? Is it game over?

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 14, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I swear Zoltan sectors are a trap. They're green so you don't think they'll be full of dick moves but every time I go in one I lose crew members to stupid events and get ambushed by absurd ships.

EDIT: I mean really, gently caress Zoltans.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 14, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Man the Cerenkov is absolutely brutal to start with.

There are so many things that can go wrong. You have a 30s window to basically win the fight, and during that time if you get hit in your weapons, drones, or the backup battery you lose that chance entirely. Your ability to deal damage being dependent on 3 rooms not getting hit is awful. Plus the fact that you need zoltan powering specific rooms to stay fighting, so a fire in the wrong room can throw everything into disarray. The cerenkov really should start with piloting 2 so at least you have the option of using your pilot zoltan for power.

My only advice for making it through sector 1 is to hold off on activating battery for 1-2 volleys if your supershield can hold. Disable shields/oxygen and move the shield zoltan to weapons so you can power the ion and drone without the battery. Because you can't afford to pump up your engines or get 2 shields for so long, I basically hull-tanked the first 2 sectors. Repaired at a shop, had an event repair my hull 17 points (!!) and still only made it to sector 3 with 4 hull remaining.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Internet Kraken posted:

I swear Zoltan sectors are a trap. They're green so you don't think they'll be full of dick moves but every time I go in one I lose crew members to stupid events and get ambushed by absurd ships.

EDIT: I mean really, gently caress Zoltans.

This is pretty much true, excluding the home-worlds now, since before AE doing the Zoltan ship quest didn't get you much in your current run, but now you can get a loving zoltan shield from it :black101:.

Green and red don't mean a whole lot, Rock sectors aren't usually any more dangerous than Engi sectors for me, but Mantis/abandoned sectors are obviously a threat if you aren't equipped to deal with boarders. A lot of things that seem like big ol' "gently caress you!"s from the game can usually be avoided by having rank 2 in a system you probably don't usually upgrade, but are generally cheap to do so. Nebulas in particular are good to have your miscellaneous systems upgraded a bit.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Right, thats it I'm finally going to get Engi ship C.

Ooh a distress as my first jump, fly to the surface and check for survivors and-

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Crystal Ships can be amazing.

Now, the enemy needs to shoot me. And yes, they stack. :getin:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So I had always assumed that the shield drone only ever gave 1 pip of supershield at a time, but apparently it can theoretically charge all the way to 5. I made this discovery while waiting for my stealth B's beam to warm up.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My first victory in forever :toot:

But it's easy so it doesn't really count

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Did you beam your mantises back in time? :ohdear:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I just jumped from a pulsar to an asteroid field to a solar flare. :monocle:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I once got the 'hostile boarders with solar flare' event three times in a row. In Sector 2. There wasn't a single room without a boarder by the end of it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Inadequately posted:

I once got the 'hostile boarders with solar flare' event three times in a row. In Sector 2. There wasn't a single room without a boarder by the end of it.

This is why I never pass up the Long-Range Scanners.

Well, that and they get some good blue events.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

If you haven't gotten Captain's Edition with the Infinite Space addon for it, I recommend it. Don't use vanilla ships. Don't use the one that makes it so that NPCs can't use the endless loot options. You too can die in horrible ways!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Vengarr posted:

This is why I never pass up the Long-Range Scanners.

Well, that and they get some good blue events.

I consider Long-Range Sensors to be the best augment in the game. I get rid of it late sector 7 if I can find a combat augment that makes sense, but if not, no biggie.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Slug A seems so much worse in AE. Ship captures seem to be only slightly better than frags unless the game gives a hint that the other ship is carrying something -- a rebel transport, or a slaver. Which is fine, except that Slug A's armament goes obsolete really fast. Back when captures made big $$$$, the ship could afford an entirely different weapon set, plus a teleporter, plus baseline defensive upgrades before the starting weapons stopped being awesome. Oh yeah, and enemies try to flee so much more often too, and the Bio Laser + Breach Bombs are terrible at winning fast. Is anyone having better luck with this thing?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't stand Engi A. It feels like my success is so reliant on finding a good weapon or the drone recovery augment. Even if I do though, I have to spend so much cash on weapons that my defenses end up lacking.

I've been playing nothing but this and Crawl for the last few days. This much frustration probably isn't healthy.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 14, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Crystal Ships can be amazing.

They seem to become near-useless the second enemies start having defence drones, for me. But then almost every ship I met in the last two sectors of my last run with one had like three of the goddamn things.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Arg! Just lost an amazing Slug A run at the flagship due to my own misplay. Absolutely fantastic weapon setup. Biobeam/Pegasus/Breach bombs/dual laser, with cloaking, hacking, MC, 3 shields, 45% evade.

I'm slowly killing crew on stage 1, thinking I've got this, even if they hacked my med bay. Sure I lost a crew member to that, but no big deal. Then just as I kill off the ion crew, I get hit in the Oxygen system. And the only way to get to oxygen on Slug A is through the Medbay.
Que me frantically trying to destroy hacking before my crew suffocates. I didn't make it. Sigh

On the plus side, the Explosive reconstruction trait makes the Pegasus absolutely fantastic.

Snow Job posted:

Slug A seems so much worse in AE.

Not sure, since I didn't do Slug A in the original, but I found it fairly effective. It might be because the game gave me a Pegasus in sector 1 and a shop with Explosive Reconstruction in sector 2. Made taking down weapon systems fairly easy, so I could sit and Biobeam for awhile.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 14, 2014

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Having 3 small bombs is hilarious because it pretty much insta-kills enemy crew when they all hit.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I actually think the Rock C outclasses the Crystal A, although whether it outclasses the Crystal B is up for debate. Crystal shard and Swarm makes a mockery of almost all the early sector enemies, saves on missile ammo and ensures you can slip at least a couple of missiles past a defense drone. It starts with a cloning bay, so you don't have to be so careful with your starting Crystalman when fighting. Plus, the layout makes for easily kiting enemies around and venting the ship. Basically once you can pick up a teleporter, the Rock C can take on pretty much everything up to the flagship.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Decided to try a Kestrel C run, because hey, pirates!

Ran into this in the second sector:

My number of victories is increasing :toot:

And don't worry, I had the DNA backup thing, so everyone was safe even if the clone machine was broken and on fire. :razz:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
A weapon floating in space is the most :3: event

The last one gave me a glaive beam, which always pairs nicely with a pair of flak weapons

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Why are flak weapons useless? I've been trying to use one in my latest run and it misses literally every shot.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Bad luck is all :shrug:. Flak weapons are just about the exact opposite of useless, they do crazy damage for how fast they charge and the power they take

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Why are flak weapons useless?
They're actually incredibly overpowered.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Flesnolk posted:

Why are flak weapons useless? I've been trying to use one in my latest run and it misses literally every shot.

So Flak weapons effectively have two chances to miss: one is the actual "miss" roll that checks against enemy evasion, same for every other non-beam weapon. The other is that it draws a circle around the room you target, and every individual flak projectile (3 for a Flak 1, 7 for a Flak 2) can land anywhere within that circle. If the projectile lands outside a room, it counts as a miss, even if it looks like hit hits the surface of the ship. The rooms are the only damageable hull on ships.

The second check does not apply to shields, so if the enemy shields are still up the hit chance is only the normal hit chance. This means that flaks are fantastic for taking down shields. They also tend to suck vs. Auto-scouts because their room layout is very sparse, which means more of the targeting circle of the flak is outside of a room.

Basic flak strategies are to pair one with any other weapon and use it to take out the shields (requires timing your shots properly), or get multiple flaks and prioritize targeting the large square rooms or dense clusters of small rooms.

But no, Flak are fantastic, you just have to use them correctly. Advanced Edition has done a lot to prevent people from doing autofire/alpha strike strategies for every ship ever, and I think that's a good thing.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

I somehow managed to get 3 Flak I's and man that was probably the easiest run I've ever had. Killing the end boss before he even gets to use his super weapons is pretty funny.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Che Delilas posted:

I consider Long-Range Sensors to be the best augment in the game. I get rid of it late sector 7 if I can find a combat augment that makes sense, but if not, no biggie.
Long-Range Scanners are so good at amassing scrap and resources. Plus they turn uncharted nebulas into scrap goldmines instead of a sector where you'll lose tons of fuel visiting empty beacons and missing encounters with lost rebel ships.

I love/hate watching FTL streams. When they make terrible decisions more often then not it's a slow attrition that leads to their death; they'll waste scrap buying crew but it's never clear to them what they did wrong. I saw a streamer last night find long-range scanners in sector 1 only to sell them at a shop so he could buy a scrap recovery arm because "scrap recovery is better the sooner you can get it." Certainly not a false statement, but 10% more scrap is such a pittance compared to hitting more encounters, wasting less fuel jumping around, and getting more rewards which include not only scrap but fuel/missiles/drones and chances for new weapons and crew.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I somehow managed to get 3 Flak I's and man that was probably the easiest run I've ever had. Killing the end boss before he even gets to use his super weapons is pretty funny.

My first run with the Federation Cruiser I found 2 Flak Is.

In the first phase of the boss, I was still trying to get my poo poo together and work out a rhythm and suddenly he's dead.

For phase three I put on autofire, put my feet up, and watched the fireworks. Killed him by my second laser beam shot.

I had a Burst Laser II that my initial plan was to swap power across subsystems to make use out of but it turned out to be unnecessary because the double Flak Is was hilarious.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm about to face the final boss with the starting burst laser 2, a fire beam, and breach missiles.

I'm the mother of all boned.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

But no, Flak are fantastic, you just have to use them correctly.

I actually figured this out like right after posting. Like you said they're a great combo weapon; take shields out with it and maybe a laser if you need, break out the big gun during the recharge. Using a Flak 1, a Burst Laser 1 and a Halberd Beam I took out the Flagship for the first time - I think I was literally all "HAH, gently caress YOU" as it blew up. Too bad I lost my godly Rock pilot using him to board one of the weapon segments and take it out in the first phase, forgetting a) the flagship would jump and I should beam him out and b) that he was the pilot! I mixed him up with my "just beam over and hit things" Rock and tragedy ensued.

I often find I don't have enough scrap to go around and get the stuff I really like/need, especially since stores only ever seem to show up right after I run too low on scrap to get good stuff. Any tips for maximising scrap so there's enough for purchases and upgrading the ship?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Man, I remember saying this when the game first got released, but why are Automated Ships so often significantly stronger than anything else you're fighting.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Studio posted:

Man, I remember saying this when the game first got released, but why are Automated Ships so often significantly stronger than anything else you're fighting.

What are you having problems with, exactly? It's true that by sector 5 or so they start to become evasion monsters, but if you have a boarding party or good weapons you can still dominate them fairly easily.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

ShineDog posted:

I'm about to face the final boss with the starting burst laser 2, a fire beam, and breach missiles.

I'm the mother of all boned.

Depends on what else you have, but breach missiles are really good against the final boss. Assuming you have enough of them you can whittle down the weapons then set it ablaze. I guess if you don't have any offensive drones the Zoltan shield will stop you cold though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sanctum posted:

I was watching a streamer with 1000s of hours logged who's been playing on hard exclusively since AE came out. He was using the crystal-B and restarted at the end of sector 1 despite never running into a zoltan or automated droneship simply because the rewards he got weren't good enough. So he wasn't restarting sector 1 simply because of bad luck, but rather restarting until RNG handed him a favorable start.

There is so much bullshit that can happen early on, I'd hardly call early restarts a slippery slope. But if you ever reach the point where you're restarting after just looking at the sector 1 beacon map like that guy, you're defeating the purpose of playing on that difficulty. I asked him what his favorite ship for hard runs was and he told me the red-tail. :psyduck: :psyduck:

Red tail is actually fairly powerful. 4, quick charge, single shot laser cannons can actually very easily handle the first 3 sectors so the only RNG you are betting on is getting something better early enough - BL2 or flak or whatever have you. It really only has trouble when you start hitting 3 bubble enemies, but so does pretty much every ship that doesn't start with a teleporter and hasn't upgraded any weapons. I have a fairly high win rate with it at the start because of that early weapon superiority.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Flesnolk posted:

I often find I don't have enough scrap to go around and get the stuff I really like/need, especially since stores only ever seem to show up right after I run too low on scrap to get good stuff. Any tips for maximising scrap so there's enough for purchases and upgrading the ship?

Well, you probably don't need to buy as much stuff as early as you think you do. Especially systems like hacking, mind control and crew teleporter. In AE I like doing some basic ship upgrades before buying anything from a store, except Long Range Scanners. I almost always rush a second shield pip, and a couple of extra engine points, before I start shopping for weapons; this has the side effect of giving me extra time to maybe get a lucky weapon drop. Most ships are capable of getting through the first two sectors with their starting weapons, but boosting defense early is going to save you a ton of scrap in repairs.

Buy crew teleporter AFTER you get a decent boarding crew (if you want to use boarding at all), not before in the hopes of getting one. Avoid buying crew from stores; there are lots and lots of events that will get you crew.

If you have Long Range Scanners or have an updated map from an event, hit up all the ship encounter nodes you possibly can; they are the most likely to give you scrap rewards. Spend as much time in each sector as you can; it's about farming, not rushing to the next area.

If you have to buy a weapon from the store, have a serious reason. Either you can't get through the shields of the ships in this sector and beyond, or you're running out of sectors and need something specific for the flagship. If you're in early sectors, don't buy something with only the flagship in mind. Buying wombo combo weapons early is a trap, they're going to sit in your weapon slots unpowered for 2/3 of your run while you waste all your scrap on repairs because you didn't have enough defenses early enough. And again, there are many events that give you weapons that you can form a strategy around. Weapons are expensive enough just to get online, don't waste scrap buying the weapon too unless you need it. There are exceptions; I often buy a flak 1 or a burst laser 2 from a store if I see it, because they are solid, efficient power throughout the whole game, early and late. But sometimes I have to pass on them; it's a judgement call.

I would save hacking, mind control and cloaking for when you have your ship upgraded to safe levels and have a decent weapon system. Drone control is good pretty much any time you can squeeze it in, though, because those little missile launchers seem to be everywhere now. I'd only buy the system if it comes with a Defense Drone or you already have on in your cargo, though.

Edit: Thought of one more thing. You don't always need to buy reactor power to get your new upgrades online. You don't need the medbay on all the time. You don't need the teleporter or hacking on all the time. Turn off the goddamned air and pump your engines to get 5% more chance to avoid that 4 damage hull missile coming your way. If every system on your ship is powered at once, you've wasted scrap on your reactor.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Studio posted:

I presume they often have better weapons or systems because they have no crew or life support taking up any allotted value/strength/however the game measures how powerful enemy ships are.

• Locked thread