Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

bonewitch posted:

Oooh I might have to sit down and read the manga then, I've only ever watched the 2012 anime and now this one.

Yeah go read the manga. It's good stuff. I powered through Stardust Crusaders after watching the 2012 anime and didn't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
I get to be in the curious position of reading the entirety of Jojo years ago and remembering nothing of it.

I get the old references, AND the experience of watching new!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I say just wait it out and let the anime surprise you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Plowed through the first two parts in the past week and just watched the first two episodes of three. Definitely one of the best anime I've seen in a long time. A shame there doesn't seem to be fantastic gg subs.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

You can always do what I did after season 1 ended and pick up the manga from part 7, which has no spoilers whatsoever for the previous parts. I gave in and went back to read parts 4-6 afterwards though due to Jojo withdrawal and realized I missed lots of little references, so... maybe I'm not the best person to emulate after all.

But I never did read part 3 so I'm going along for the ride this season! I did see most of the OVAs, though...

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

bonewitch posted:

This is incredible. :allears: Could you imagine a JoJo protagonist that actually went "Okay what the gently caress is going on?" instead of just taking everything in stride and everyone ignoring him as he's in constant confusion

I feel like I want to see a series that's not a ripoff but an original work in the spirit of Jojo that features completely self-aware characters. Who ah, would tend to be rather stunned by all the weird poo poo happening.

Araki's masterwork definitely has always (with notable exceptions here and there) tended to feature characters with 'manga-plot brain damage' in that they don't react like people would in real life.

Freakazoid_ posted:

The part where Jotaro's stand grabbed Heirophant Green by the neck and shook him made me burst out laughing. Reminded me of this. Probably unintentional but it kinda ruined the mood.

Nah, it is pretty funny. :allears:

More in a 'bad guy gets owned' way though.

Genocyber posted:

Plowed through the first two parts in the past week and just watched the first two episodes of three. Definitely one of the best anime I've seen in a long time. A shame there doesn't seem to be fantastic gg subs.

You should get a crunchyroll account. High quality subs and stream definition of the entire series.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 13, 2014

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

bonewitch posted:

This is incredible. :allears: Could you imagine a JoJo protagonist that actually went "Okay what the gently caress is going on?" instead of just taking everything in stride and everyone ignoring him as he's in constant confusion

Well, they actually do that quite often with the weirder Stands until they figure them out, to the point where you'd think they would instantly realize there's a Stand user nearby when weird poo poo starts happening.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

CJ posted:

Talking about the anime, i've been rereading the manga along with each episode and it's really cool how basically every panel is recreated as a shot in the anime. I don't think anyone has to worry about them skipping stuff, if anything the pacing is too slow.

Because the pacing is too slow now, it makes me worry they'll skip stuff later on.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Why would a team that is obviously obsessed with JoJo cover the boring beginning in such painstaking detail and even add an extra scene if they intended to skip actually interesting stuff later on? Though I do agree that the pacing could be a little bit faster.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I like the second episode's pacing more than the first. Everything moves forward while there are more quiet moments like Joseph's instant coffee skit or Jotaro's and Kakyoin's first encounter. First episode was just way too loud and intense for my tastes.

Also it's funny in retrospect how Kakyoin's powers were falsely teased with both him splashing paint over his picture of Jotaro and then seemingly manipulating the nurse with a marionette. I guess back when the comic was serialized this was most likely used to keep the reader guessing.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

jyrque posted:

I like the second episode's pacing more than the first. Everything moves forward while there are more quiet moments like Joseph's instant coffee skit or Jotaro's and Kakyoin's first encounter. First episode was just way too loud and intense for my tastes.

Also it's funny in retrospect how Kakyoin's powers were falsely teased with both him splashing paint over his picture of Jotaro and then seemingly manipulating the nurse with a marionette. I guess back when the comic was serialized this was most likely used to keep the reader guessing.

Hah! You thought my stand was interesting, when it really just vomits emeralds on everything!

YF-23 posted:

Because the pacing is too slow now, it makes me worry they'll skip stuff later on.

Doing the boring parts in detail and skipping the cool parts makes no sense. They are just going to milk it for all its worth so they can sell a bunch of DVDs with 3 episodes on them for $100 each.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Snapping fingers is racist?

Nah, but it seems like a pretty disrespectful way to treat a friend. I also found it weird how Joseph didn't bother to introduce Avdol to his daughter.

I don't think Joseph is racist towards avdol at all, it's just weird behavior from a guy who introduced his grandma to a pickpocket.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Or we can chalk it up to Joseph not bothering with niceties because holy poo poo some rear end in a top hat vampire stole his grandpa's body.

This episode was amazing. I'll end up burning in my screen the scene of Jotaro's stand folding down his fingers one by one, making a fist, and mauling Hierophant Green to shreds.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Condiv posted:

Nah, but it seems like a pretty disrespectful way to treat a friend. I also found it weird how Joseph didn't bother to introduce Avdol to his daughter.

I don't think Joseph is racist towards avdol at all, it's just weird behavior from a guy who introduced his grandma to a pickpocket.

Friends do "disrespectful" things to each other all the time.

Alternatively, Joseph wanted to get Jotaro's attention. Like, "hey pay attention because this is the guy who's gonna kick your rear end if you don't get out of the cell right now."

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The reason he snapped his fingers is because this is JoJo and you never do something normally if you can do it while posing or in a needlessly cool manner.

Same dude.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Prison Warden posted:

this is JoJo

I'm not sure I follow.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Huh, so it was a hat after all.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
That was before he awoke his stand. When it first started popping up, it started to merge his hat and hair to ensure maximum fabulous during fights.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

BlitzBlast posted:

Huh, so it was a hat after all.

Yeah it supposed to be from when he was a younger kid so its a small hat that blends in with his hair or whatever

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Or maybe this is just a mistake that will be fixed in the blurays :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

jyrque posted:

No Kakoyin's stand can only commit premeditated murder if he's using a ominous visual aid.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

When Jotaro why am i talking about future parts :stare:

Also, some zbrush fan-art found at random just now from 2009 I think:

Hair sculpted right into the hat. :allears:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 14, 2014

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I still maintain that the hat is a hat-shaped pompadour.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

That was before he awoke his stand. When it first started popping up, it started to merge his hat and hair to ensure maximum fabulous during fights.

I thought his hair/head just got bigger and instead of just getting a new one, he just tore it and put it on his head.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

Or maybe this is just a mistake that will be fixed in the blurays :v:

Maybe his mom really is the only one who knows him well enough to tell where the hair ends and the hat starts. Would explain why she can clearly see the [border] in flashbacks and such; we were seeing it from her point of view! It all makes sense now! :v:

Wonderful Bread
Nov 11, 2013
I'm extremely happy that I got so excited for this part's soundtrack. Like the last 2 parts, it matches the style perfectly. Jotaro's "battle-theme" brings back that giddy excitement I got watching DBZ as a 10 year old.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Like past parts I'm gonna be getting the soundtrack as soon as it comes out. It's been great so far.

And oh man I just can't wait to see what the ED will be. Still holding out for Holy Diver, cuz you know, DIO's been down too long in the midnight sea.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Stand Proud is starting to grow on me.

Bloody Stream was loud, brash, fun, and crazy - exactly like the Battle Tendency arc is. It's a sugar rush, like the series is was created to capture the mood of.

Stand Proud meanwhile has a distinct classic hard-rock feel, which PERFECTLY fits the very structured style of Stardust Crusaders. As people settle in to the new tone of the series, they will begin to realize how perfectly it captures the mood of the arc. We're in for a long hard fight with characters we're going to really get to know, almost as a rock band themselves.

Reading Stardust Crusaders as an arc is like listening to a seasoned hard-rock band play their instruments with precision and competent (for the most part) know-how, to get something that stands the test of time as a classic. That's what the mood of Stand Proud sounds like. The people who created this anime adaption really loving know the series. :allears:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 14, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Like past parts I'm gonna be getting the soundtrack as soon as it comes out. It's been great so far.

And oh man I just can't wait to see what the ED will be. Still holding out for Holy Diver, cuz you know, DIO's been down too long in the midnight sea.

I'm personally pulling for more Roundabout; it'd be an awesome piece of thematic continuity if it didn't change between arcs. Jonathan is Sono Chi, Joseph is Bloody Storm, Jotaro is Stand Proud, but JoJo is Roundabout.

Baring that, gently caress yes Diver. Both are owned by Warner, so we can dream.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

:allears:

Any other Aladdin/Genie Jotaro images? It seems a pretty obvious joke.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Stand Proud is way more progressive rock than either of the previous OPs, especially if you listen to the full version. That opening sting with the synthesizer is exactly something that Araki would've listened to in the late '80s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu3RdC4XeEA

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Mimir posted:

Stand Proud is way more progressive rock than either of the previous OPs, especially if you listen to the full version. That opening sting with the synthesizer is exactly something that Araki would've listened to in the late '80s.

That is not the OP.

It's pretty awesome if that's supposed to show up in the show though.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Your way works too posted:

That is not the OP.

It won't, because that's "Never Die" from Masked Rider Agito.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Your way works too posted:

That is not the OP.

FortMax posted:

It won't, because that's "Never Die" from Masked Rider Agito.

I've been lied to by Youtube titles for the last time! :argh:

I've misinterpreted a title in a language I don't understand, based on the visual contents, probably not for the last time! :argh:

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Spacedad posted:

:allears:

Any other Aladdin/Genie Jotaro images? It seems a pretty obvious joke.
I don't know about that, but here's young Joseph singing One Jump Ahead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36MN5dc4O0E

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mimir posted:

I've been lied to by Youtube titles for the last time! :argh:

I've misinterpreted a title in a language I don't understand, based on the visual contents, probably not for the last time! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCcmjaCL_c This is the opening notice how it sounds nothing like the other one.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCcmjaCL_c This is the opening notice how it sounds nothing like the other one.

Could've been pulled from an Arc System Works game. :shobon:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Could've been pulled from an Arc System Works game. :shobon:

Not seeing the problem here. :v:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mimir posted:

To be honest I really wished they went with something 80s as poo poo as this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Watched episodes, never watched/read JoJo before. The amount of stuff made in 25 years sure is a lot! Dunno if I should go with the comics or just watch the anime. I recall people saying the comic got really spotty translations in parts.

• Locked thread