Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, that'll happen when the zombified corpse of Lawton Chiles rises from beyond the grave to run the state democratic party. The two things driving Florida to keep being Republican is a constant influx of old people from other states as the ones living here die off and a state legislature willing to trick out anything to attract more businesses. You're talking about a state that gave a billion plus dollars in taxpayer money to Progress (now Duke) energy for nuclear reactors that will never be built; that money only started being collected by Duke in 2009, when the state budget was looking like absolute dogshit and there were cuts everywhere.

Please stop reminding me how awful my state is goddamn :smith:. I was meaning as a general rule of thumb for the Democratic party that they should focus on gaining back state legislatures prior to 2020 so they can at least reduce the impact, even if they can't reverse, of the redistricting.

Without it will be just in the same state we are in now forever as a best case scenario :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Party Plane Jones posted:

No, as in a billion dollars for new reactors that weren't even built yet. Crystal River was a whole nother fuckup but Duke is only making off with 100 mil of taxpayer money in it. :smithicide:
http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/energy/duke-energy-announces-closing-of-crystal-river-nuclear-power-plant/1273794
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-05/duke-kills-florida-nuclear-project-keeps-customers-money

quote:

In the fall of 2009, as workers began the project, they cracked the reactor's 42-inch thick concrete containment building, designed to keep radiation in and bad things out.

They repaired the wall only to discover their efforts had cracked the wall again. The plant has been idle since. It costs as much as $300 million a year just to buy replacement power.
The circus music is playing in my head as I read this article.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HEY GAL posted:

The reason this is especially hosed up is that the pro life movement claims to support the human worth of people with disabilities. I have no doubt certain wings of it do, but to hear the opposite stated so baldly by a pro-life politician is vile.

Of course it's going to be that way. You're making the assumption that the anti-choice crowd is mostly arguing in good faith, rather than starting at their conclusion (women being punished for having sex) and then working backward from there to the justification. It's nearly at the same level of dog whistling as Southern Strategy racism.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Just be glad the Florida Democrats aren't trying to run Alex "I Never Even Win at Bingo" Sink.

And yes, we're all paying extra fees to FPL to build nuclear plants that never will get built. Furthermore, we lost a ton of taxpayer money on that stupid cracked foundation. It's enough to make your blood boil.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/73-year-custody-fatal-jewish-center-shooting/story?id=23310932

Speaking of the Clansman, the spree shooter at the Jewish Center was a former Grand Dragon of the KKK.

His website is pretty rad.

http://www.whty.org/

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

rkajdi posted:

Of course it's going to be that way. You're making the assumption that the anti-choice crowd is mostly arguing in good faith, rather than starting at their conclusion (women being punished for having sex) and then working backward from there to the justification. It's nearly at the same level of dog whistling as Southern Strategy racism.

Once again, if anti-choicers were even slightly interested in reducing abortion, then opposition to birth control would be completely nonexistent. Instead they're making a supreme court case based on precisely that.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Warcabbit posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/73-year-custody-fatal-jewish-center-shooting/story?id=23310932

Speaking of the Clansman, the spree shooter at the Jewish Center was a former Grand Dragon of the KKK.

Holy poo poo that's right up the road from where I used to live.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

Once again, if anti-choicers were even slightly interested in reducing abortion, then opposition to birth control would be completely nonexistent. Instead they're making a supreme court case based on precisely that.

Apparently they are just opposed to IUD's and morning-after pills though because they never took a biology class. The guys at supreme court are OK with normal pills and condoms. Which is not to say there aren't plenty against those too.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

Apparently they are just opposed to IUD's and morning-after pills though because they never took a biology class. The guys at supreme court are OK with normal pills and condoms. Which is not to say there aren't plenty against those too.

Their belief in IUD's and Plan B is that "If you prevent a fertilized egg from implanting, it's baby murder" Yet many times when an egg is fertilized it fails for one reason or another to implant on the uterine wall to begin with. The stars and planets maybe didn't align or some poo poo. As George Carlin said Almost two decades ago "Basically, what these anti-abortion people are telling us is that any woman who’s had more than more than one period is a serial killer!"

Their other argument is the same line, just replace baby murder with "Playing God". Guess we don't need antibiotics, surgery, or anything life saving because we are obviously playing against Gods will! :bang:

And if you ever went to a midwest or southern Sex ed class in 8th grade, It is full of scare tactics (Photos and freak-worst case scenario stories), Religious propaganda, and sometimes outright lies. Of course people are confused about how things work or in a round about way of thinking that no birth control is better than having it, I have no idea how the coasts deal with it but it probably isn't much better

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 14, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gygaxian posted:

The UDP just whines about how the state is controlled by Republicans and about how diverse the Dems are and such. They like the idea of reaching out to Mormons but the base (who are generally not Mormon) hates it (and Mormons) and the establishment has no idea how to convince Mormons to believe in even center-left ideas.

The establishment also likes to present the steadily decreasing number of Utah Democratic legislators as a win, because at least we didn't lose more! I mean, I get it, it's Utah, but we really could do better.

Also, the LDS Dems caucus is pathetic, and I say this as an LDS Dem myself (albeit a Bernie Sanders-esque one). We have a lot of people, but no one willing to change their fellow Mormons minds, no one willing to go out and volunteer, no one wiling to do anything but endorse Jim friggin Matheson and call it good.

The Indiana Democratic Party groups are drat near off the radar. I had to go through some very round about ways to get ahold of them, if I hadn't been active for years and been a known quantity to those contacts I'm not sure I could have gotten ahold of the locals at all. Their outreach and activation program is so broken you'd think it is run by republicans to keep people away.

Indiana Democratic Party - nothing listed about when or where meetings are or various opportunities. "Get Involved" link gets you on their fundraising mailing list, nothing else
Marion County Democratic Party - upcoming events page is blank, applying for the mailing list gets no response, nothing about meetings or precinct chair volunteering or GOTV or any of that
Young Democrats of America links - most pages for the Indianapolis area are blank. The one functional one goes to a SEO page about "business solutions" that hasn't been updated in 2 years.
Purdue/Indiana University/Butler College Dems - no response from the first two, no way to find if the 3rd even exists
Reddit.com/r/indianadems - a few articles but nothing about getting involved. In fact one of the top rated threads is complaining about there being no way to get involved on the page
Drinking Liberally - chapter is listed at meeting at a bar that closed down in 2010, no response to contacting mailing list
Indiana Equality - still waiting to hear from, with HJR3 just a month past you'd think they would be more aggressive about snapping up volunteers, guess not

When I finally got through to someone it turned out they apparently have one harried intern who spends most of his time doing data entry and planning the social media policy for these groups, but the plan is awaiting approval still and his internship ends in a month and he'd be so overworked he'd have trouble executing it anyways

And while I'm on this hobby horse what the gently caress is with the Dems losing all the tools between each election cycle? Not the Indiana groups, all if them. We have to reinvent the wheel every 2 years. Case in point, I went walking/lit dropping this weekend and we lost the least time calculator again! In 2008 it was a big deal that OFA had the calculator so you dropped in your walk list and it organized the addresses with a least time pathing algorithm. Instead of them just being in numerical order by street it told you where to go in what order to save time, like what UPS and FedEx use for their drivers. Cut walk time down to a breeze. Then 2010 comes around and no one has it. It took Rep Foster personally coding it and emailing it out to the rest of the caucus, and that didn't happen until October. Then 2012 comes around and the tool is back, as part of VAN!... Behind the $3000 paywall most campaigns can't afford. Now it is 2014 and no one knows where it is AGAIN.

It is a loving python script, you can do it with free software like EsriGIS or ArcGIS and it is proven effective, but no one keeps track if it and makes it available.

It is the same with things like voter databases. We see how powerful they are, but no one wants to keep them up to date in off years so they are useless until a presidential campaign or a big name senate campaign makes them update it.

But gently caress yeah we have lawn signs I guess?

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 14, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Spiffster posted:

Their belief in IUD's and Plan B is that "If you prevent a fertilized egg from implanting, it's baby murder" Yet many times when an egg is fertilized it fails for one reason or another to implant on the uterine wall to begin with. The stars and planets maybe didn't align or some poo poo. As George Carlin said Almost two decades ago "Basically, what these anti-abortion people are telling us is that any woman who’s had more than more than one period is a serial killer!"

Their other argument is the same line, just replace baby murder with "Playing God". Guess we don't need antibiotics, surgery, or anything life saving because we are obviously playing against Gods will! :bang:

And if you ever went to a midwest or southern Sex ed class in 8th grade, It is full of scare tactics (Photos and freak-worst case scenario stories), Religious propaganda, and sometimes outright lies. Of course people are confused about how things work or in a round about way of thinking that no birth control is better than having it, I have no idea how the coasts deal with it but it probably isn't much better

I gotta say I went to sex ed in public school in Alabama in 1996, it was completely normal and science based. They pushed abstinence just a little bit saying it was the only foolproof method, but talked about condoms and stuff and didn't tell lies about them not working

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

greatn posted:

I gotta say I went to sex ed in public school in Alabama in 1996, it was completely normal and science based. They pushed abstinence just a little bit saying it was the only foolproof method, but talked about condoms and stuff and didn't tell lies about them not working

This is what I got in Virginia around the same time. It feels like the Christian right has become stronger and more brazen in the last ten years so I have no idea if that's still the case.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Radish posted:

This is what I got in Virginia around the same time. It feels like the Christian right has become stronger and more brazen in the last ten years so I have no idea if that's still the case.

I got my sex eds in the early 2000's in VA, and that's basically what they told me. They told me condoms had a 99% effectiveness rating, essentially.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

greatn posted:

Kansas, 1998 for me. Abstinence only, condoms have 50%-plus failure rates, sponge causes cancer, talk to your parents or minister if you have issues with lust, blah blah. A pile of lies plus skirting the religious line as closely as they possibly could in written format. The spoken lectures were waaaaay across the religious line, but when your audience is 15-year-old Kansans who were probably raised to believe similarly, nobody cares.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

1996 really was before the dawn of the current GOP. That was back when the 1994 crowd had taken power and was heading towards the present state of the GOP, but they still had shreds of decency and humanity in places and understood you have to know how fuckin' works in order to make safe choices about it. Sure they were repressive prudes but that's always been their mode.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If it gives context 2000 or 2001 was when Our class had our week of brainwashing Abstinence only education. I swear they didn't really even cover anything important in that class, just all the negative consequences. At least one of my best memories in that class was a good size of them calling the guest teacher out on her bull after a really stupid story about how putting all your love (in this case water) in one cup before marriage will leave you empty on the inside. (The cup was lined with something that either evaporated or absorbed all the water)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SedanChair posted:

How do you manage to get that opinion out of your mouth without realizing :stare:

e: Literally Matthew 25:35

I've always found Alan Watts' explanation for western Christianity's revisionism pretty on-the-mark. They turned the religion of Jesus into a religion about Jesus by pedestalizing him, and in doing so, they have a reason to ignore any parts they don't like because "He was the divine son of God and couldn't possibly be speaking of the practicalities of life". All that "Have I not told you that you are all sons of God" (82nd Psalm, I believe) is quietly swept under the rug.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Illinois in ~1995-96 was pretty reasonable. We just got told to make sure that we could answer "abstinence" to the question "What is the only 100% reliable form of birth control?".

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

I've always found Alan Watts' explanation for western Christianity's revisionism pretty on-the-mark. They turned the religion of Jesus into a religion about Jesus by pedestalizing him, and in doing so, they have a reason to ignore any parts they don't like because "He was the divine son of God and couldn't possibly be speaking of the practicalities of life". All that "Have I not told you that you are all sons of God" (82nd Psalm, I believe) is quietly swept under the rug.

Prosperity Theology mixed with gently caress you Got Mine republican standpoints leads to really lovely Christians. It's really that simple

withak posted:

Illinois in ~1995-96 was pretty reasonable. We just got told to make sure that we could answer "abstinence" to the question "What is the only 100% reliable form of birth control?".

Oh it is, But like with all birth control success is extremely linked to how well you adhere to it, and in case one fails you need to have knowledge on other ways to protect yourself and how to use them properly. the second you don't abstain and you have no knowledge about other methods... welp :shrug:

greatn posted:

Should have answered "Gay or lesbian sex"

Ok I chuckled. Sorry When I go on birth control politics and talks I usually think about Hetro due to... well Birth control parts. It's also important to cover those bases as well because everyone needs to be safe.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 14, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spiffster posted:

Prosperity Theology mixed with gently caress you Got Mine republican standpoints leads to really lovely Christians. It's really that simple

Well, yeah. That's the surface explanation, but I was referring more to the mental hoops twisting the social view over the last 2000 years which has led to the FYGMers.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

withak posted:

I went to a Catholic grade school in Illinois in the 90s and while our teacher talked about all the approved methods (and how abstinence was the only 100% effective method), she also told us about condoms and birth control (did not give it glowing reviews but she at least told us how they worked.)

Public high school blew my mind though with the explanation of anal and oral sex. Those were definitely not mentioned.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

withak posted:

Should have answered "Gay or lesbian sex"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My conservative mother-in-law just described the rancher situation as "Harry Reid stealing the poor guys cattle to sell for millions of dollars (which will get redistributed) all because of some dumb tortoise. So he stood his ground and the Feds ran away with their tails between their legs"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
And that rancher's name was Albert Einstein.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Wonder if the people who are cheering that rear end in a top hat on know that every nutjob who showed up with a gun is now on a terrorist/hate group watch list.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alter Ego posted:

Wonder if the people who are cheering that rear end in a top hat on know that every nutjob who showed up with a gun is now on a terrorist/hate group watch list.

Someone with a login to freep should start spreading rumors that it was a false flag honeypot. :beck:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

My conservative mother-in-law just described the rancher situation as "Harry Reid stealing the poor guys cattle to sell for millions of dollars (which will get redistributed) all because of some dumb tortoise. So he stood his ground and the Feds ran away with their tails between their legs"

Someone said in a different thread that the situation will be resolved quickly and quietly when the government threatens his license to sell cattle on the open market. Is this accurate? None of the media coverage I've read mentions it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
It's basically the same poo poo as when Hannity whipped up a frothing rage over the Terry Schaivo case, resulting in bomb threats to schools, death threats to judges, and an armed attempt to collect a "bounty" on Michael Schaivo. Or Bill Orielly whipping up rage against George Tiller resulting in threats and attempts on his life for years until someone gunned him down in church. Or Glenn Beck and the Tides Foundation. Or Sarah Palin and Gabby Giffords.

The outrage machine whips people up into a mob to make money. And in that mob you get people who are unstable, people not inclined to sit at home and accept that sending money to the hucksters is enough to oppose those evil others, who take the message as gospel and are armed and try to act on it, because if you take it as truth the enemy really is a murderous tyrannical threat to you your friends and neighbors the logical and ethical action is to fight. People get hurt, but the outrage machine gets paid and anyways the ones who get hurt aren't rich and are on the other "team" so isn't that a fine reason for them to suffer.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 14, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fried Chicken posted:

The Indiana Democratic Party groups are drat near off the radar...

How the gently caress does this even happen? Where's the national Dems in this? Is there just not enough money?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

There's plenty of money, they just save it for the 'races they can win' as opposed to actually trying to broaden that base of support. They're all about defense, it sucks, and its a losing strategy, but the 50 State plan died with Howard Dean's scream.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I always wondered if the national Dems hated Dean for succeeding with the 50 state plan. There's a certain kind of rear end in a top hat who hates just about nobody like they hate people who succeed where they've failed, and I remember thinking in 2006 that Dean probably just pissed off a LOT of people.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

haveblue posted:

Someone said in a different thread that the situation will be resolved quickly and quietly when the government threatens his license to sell cattle on the open market. Is this accurate? None of the media coverage I've read mentions it.

Ronald Reagan made the herding district fees required in western open range country permanent, and he did it by executive order. No one in the western states get to graze on open range land without paying their fees. It's a fact of life out in the western states if you farm or ranch you are going to pay herding district fees and water district fees.

It's not about a tortoise, it's about a freeloading rear end in a top hat continuing to freeload. Also notice the Cattleman's Association has stayed as far away from this mess as possible.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The worst thing you can do for your career if you are a party leader is win elections, apparently, given how fast Dean and Steele were fired after massive electoral victories.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

The worst thing you can do for your career if you are a party leader is win elections, apparently, given how fast Dean and Steele were fired after massive electoral victories.

It's less about doing it and more about doing it the "wrong" way, and in Steele's case the power in his party shifting to insane racists didn't help.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

And while I'm on this hobby horse what the gently caress is with the Dems losing all the tools between each election cycle? Not the Indiana groups, all if them. We have to reinvent the wheel every 2 years. Case in point, I went walking/lit dropping this weekend and we lost the least time calculator again! In 2008 it was a big deal that OFA had the calculator so you dropped in your walk list and it organized the addresses with a least time pathing algorithm. Instead of them just being in numerical order by street it told you where to go in what order to save time, like what UPS and FedEx use for their drivers. Cut walk time down to a breeze. Then 2010 comes around and no one has it. It took Rep Foster personally coding it and emailing it out to the rest of the caucus, and that didn't happen until October. Then 2012 comes around and the tool is back, as part of VAN!... Behind the $3000 paywall most campaigns can't afford. Now it is 2014 and no one knows where it is AGAIN.

It is a loving python script, you can do it with free software like EsriGIS or ArcGIS and it is proven effective, but no one keeps track if it and makes it available.

It is the same with things like voter databases. We see how powerful they are, but no one wants to keep them up to date in off years so they are useless until a presidential campaign or a big name senate campaign makes them update it.
Is there anyway we can work distribute some of this kind of stuff (I guess not the database) ourselves? I mean, it seems like a pathing algorithm could be useful even to folks like local state rep democrats who don't have the IT savvy to pull it together themselves.

https://www.democratictools.com

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

greatn posted:

Yeah, I don't actually understand this at all - is it because they upset the apple cart? You'd think at a certain point they'd prefer to be the winning party.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Nessus posted:

You'd think at a certain point they'd prefer to be the winning party.
It's easier to sell "Here's what we're going to do!" rather than make excuses for what you didn't do.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
CBO just released a report showing the deficit is going to be reduced by Obamacare more than originally thought because premiums are so much lower than originally expected. In addition more people are going to be ensured than originally expected and premiums are going to rise very little next year (the average silver plan will go up about $100 a year)

Democrats need to stop running away from this.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
The NYT is adding a new angle to their "pissing on millennials" rotation: kids these days aren't using Obama as a political role model enough; they lack the ambition to run for office thanks to Twitter.

quote:

Obama Effect Inspiring Few to Seek Office

LUDLOW, Mass. — Eric Lesser was shaking hands with diners in a Portuguese restaurant last week when he spotted the owner of Manny’s TV & Appliances. “Oh, I’ve got to get a picture,” Mr. Lesser eagerly said, draping his arm over Manny Rovithis, whose low-budget commercials have run for decades in Western Massachusetts. Mr. Lesser’s giddiness about meeting the local celebrity had not faded when he sat down for lunch.

“Awesome,” he said.

Although Mr. Lesser spent much of the last six years in the company of President Obama and Washington hotshots, now, as an earnest, hug-prone 29-year-old candidate for the Massachusetts State Senate, he is far more interested in people like Mr. Rovithis. Which is a good thing. Mr. Lesser, a former White House staff member, has returned home on the path Mr. Obama hoped to inspire many of his young supporters to follow when he said, “We are the ones we have been waiting for.”

But if Mr. Lesser, who is on leave from Harvard Law School to run for office, is the face of the promised Obama political generation, he is also one of its few participants. For all the talk about the movement that elected Mr. Obama, the more notable movement of Obama supporters has been away from politics. It appears that few of the young people who voted for him, and even fewer Obama campaign and administration operatives, have decided to run for office. Far more have joined the high-paid consultant ranks.

Unlike John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan, who inspired virtual legislatures of politicians and became generational touchstones, Mr. Obama has so far had little such influence. That is all the more remarkable considering he came to office tapping into spirit of volunteerism and community service that pollsters say is widespread and intense among young people. Mr. Obama has come to represent that spirit, but he has failed, pollsters say, to transform it into meaningful engagement in the political process.

“If you were to call it an Obama generation, there was a window,” said John Della Volpe, the director of polling at the Institute of Politics at Harvard University. “That opportunity has been lost.” He said the youth who came of voting age around the time of the 2008 election have since lost interest in electoral politics, and pointed to a survey he conducted last year among 18- to 29-year-olds. Although 70 percent said they considered community service an honorable endeavor, only 35 percent said the same about running for office.

“We’re seeing the younger cohort is even less connected with him generally, with his policies, as well as politics generally,” Mr. Della Volpe added, referring to Mr. Obama. Sergio Bendixen, who worked as a pollster for Mr. Obama, blamed a social media-addled generation accustomed to instant gratification for the drop-off. After getting swept up by the Obama movement of 2008, he said, “They went on to the next website and then the next click on their computer. I just don’t see the generation as all that ideological or invested in causes for the long run.”

Mr. Lesser, who once worked down the hall from the Oval Office as a special assistant to David Axelrod, Mr. Obama’s former chief strategist, is well aware that he is both an exemplar and exception of the Obama generation.

“If you want to be involved in politics, at a certain point you’ve got to walk the walk,” said Mr. Lesser, who oversaw all the staff and reporter luggage during the 2008 campaign. (“I never lost one bag,” he likes to tell voters. “No one can say Eric Lesser doesn’t deliver.”)

Mr. Lesser admits, however, that it is tempting to watch the new lives of many of his White House peers, among them Mr. Obama’s former chief speechwriter, Jon Favreau, and all the others who have gone into consulting.

“My buddies are posting pictures on Facebook of zooming around Davos,” Mr. Lesser said, though he added that those who had gone that avenue had “missed the point a little bit. I think that if I wanted to get rich, politics wouldn’t have been the route I would have gone down.”

Instead, he spoke about how Mr. Obama’s return to Chicago to run for the Illinois State Senate after graduating from Harvard Law resonated with him. He said his Washington friends supported his decision to go back home, although some, he said, told him it was “lame.”

Mr. Lesser is not entirely alone, and White House officials hopefully point to the scattering of young Obama veterans running for or already holding office around the country. “I expect to see more of them,” Mr. Axelrod said.

By the time Mr. Lesser left the White House in July 2011, he had the grandiose title of director of strategic planning for the White House Council of Economic Advisers. Now he promotes his direct link to Washington’s power brokers as a way to help his district fix broken roads, fight drug use and improve the local economy. On Tuesday evening, he hopes to get some pointers from the president himself at the White House Passover Seder, which Mr. Lesser first organized and always returns to Washington to help lead.

Mr. Lesser also gets strategic advice from Mr. Axelrod. “I tell him to stay close to home, focus on local communities, talk about it from the bottom up,” Mr. Axelrod said. David Plouffe, the senior White House adviser who ran Mr. Obama’s 2008 campaign, has counseled Mr. Lesser on field operations. Geoffrey Garin, a prominent Democratic pollster, threw him a fund-raiser. Chris Hughes, a Facebook co-founder who he knew from Harvard and the 2008 Obama race, contributes to his campaign.

Hardly least, the White House political office did not object to his use of the president’s image on his fliers. “I started off carrying his bags,” it says above the smiling heads of the president and Mr. Lesser. Splashed across their midsections it adds, “I ended up working for his Council of Economic Advisers.”

But on the ground, Mr. Lesser seems very much like the handful of other Democrats running in a September primary, just younger. On a recent morning, as he spoke to the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers about his grandfather’s work as a longshoreman and his father’s stint as a union organizer, Mr. Lesser learned that one of the burly 12 men who had come to hear him speak also spelled Eric with a “c.”

“Awesome, me too,” Mr. Lesser said.

Other times he gamely embraced the oddities of campaigns. In the town of Wilbraham, Mr. Lesser toured FloDesign Inc., a technology firm, and marveled at the work it was doing in biological research, using the ovary cells of a species called the Chinese hamster. Then he stopped to pose with the recipient of an office prize — a “stuffed ovary” that vaguely resembled a stuffed, oval-shaped animal — and which read “ova achievers.”

Mr. Lesser then headed to a polling place for a local election, where he encountered Debra Boronski, the Republican nominee whom Mr. Lesser hopes to face in November. She stood alone under a red umbrella.

After exchanging pleasantries, Ms. Boronski looked at him and said, “I see an ambitious young man.” The district voted for Mr. Obama, but, she said, preferred Scott Brown, a Republican, who lost his Senate seat in 2012 to Elizabeth Warren, a Democrat. She said that Mr. Lesser’s fliers focused on Mr. Obama “kind of shows his naïveté.”

Mr. Lesser next drove through Longmeadow, where he and his wife and 9-month-old daughter live with his parents, a doctor and a social worker, in his childhood home. He pointed out his high school, where he served as class president all four years (campaign slogan: “The Lesser of Two Evils”) and formed a coalition to protect the jobs of teachers. Later, after carrying his daughter into a senior center and showing her off at a schmoozing session, he went door to door in Ludlow with an Obama-style app that helped him locate potential supporters. At one house Lucille Nunes, 84, told him she was tutoring a neighbor, Rafaela Fernandes, 12, in reading. As the candidate and voter talked at length about the importance of teachers, the girl came to the door.

“You’ve got a few years to get involved, but you can volunteer,” Mr. Lesser told her. Ms. Nunes then turned to Mr. Lesser and implored, “Got to get these young people involved!”

Or it could be that the Obama campaign rode to power on the youth vote then completely betrayed us by dropping every reformist platform and abandoning the grassroots network.

Yes, electoral politics these days are so noble, why can't those twitter-addled teens see it? :rolleyes: brb going to eschew a "high-paying consultant job" to haul bags for team obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Defenestration posted:

The NYT is adding a new angle to their "pissing on millennials" rotation: kids these days aren't using Obama as a political role model enough; they lack the ambition to run for office thanks to Twitter.

Or it could be that the Obama campaign rode to power on the youth vote then completely betrayed us by dropping every reformist platform and abandoning the grassroots network.

Yes, electoral politics these days are so noble, why can't those twitter-addled teens see it? :rolleyes: brb going to eschew a "high-paying consultant job" to haul bags for team obama

Yeah, a center-right Democrat who made it the goal of his first term to give in to the loonies in the GOP at every opportunity in the interests of some legacy or looking bi-partisan or some crap is not going to inspire our generation to actually do something. I know it is just the status quo at this point for politicians to run on a certain platform and then ignore it when they get elected, but too many people feel betrayed by Obama instantly abandoning the reformist platform he ran on as soon as he set foot in the oval office.

• Locked thread