Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pulling for Ke$ha, but Adele is a good guess.

edit: Robyn?

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Yoshifan823 posted:

Pulling for Ke$ha, but Adele is a good guess.

edit: Robyn?

Maybe Ke$ha and Robyn have formed a feminist electropop supergroup. They're releasing a concept album based on The Handmaid's Tale.

Also:

Sam Smith, the dude who won the BBC Sound of 2014, is gonna be on SNL. I guess he's trying to break through in the US. I think he's awesome but I fear his performance will be reviled like the Lana Del Rey performance :(

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm almost positive the surprise album will be Lil Wayne. The album's supposed to be coming by May and he said in an interview that he wanted to do a surprise release.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Mariah's album should actually finally be done, too.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm almost positive the surprise album will be Lil Wayne. The album's supposed to be coming by May and he said in an interview that he wanted to do a surprise release.

I don't think there's a single person who knows a single thing about Lil Wayne who is even remotely excited for a new Wayne album.

Mariah is another really good guess, because she might be able to get sales/hype on the level of Bey.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Sam Smith, the dude who won the BBC Sound of 2014, is gonna be on SNL. I guess he's trying to break through in the US. I think he's awesome but I fear his performance will be reviled like the Lana Del Rey performance :(

He'll be fine if he performs well. The Lana Del Rey performance was reviled because it wasn't very good. Sure, a lot of the backlash was exaggerated, but that doesn't change the fact that she did not give a good performance.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Metal Loaf posted:

He'll be fine if he performs well. The Lana Del Rey performance was reviled because it wasn't very good. Sure, a lot of the backlash was exaggerated, but that doesn't change the fact that she did not give a good performance.

I think he'll perform well, it's just that the Disclosure/Rudimental/Naughty Boy sound isn't too popular in the US. Plus he's got such a unique look, I can see people making fun of him by turning his haircut into a stupid meme or something.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Please be Mariah with a 90s throwback album.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Metal Loaf posted:

Isn't the SNL stage also notoriously bad for live music? I remember reading somewhere that even the best live acts sound bad at 30 Rock.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Isn't the SNL stage also notoriously bad for live music? I remember reading somewhere that even the best live acts sound bad at 30 Rock.

From what I can tell, the music is always way louder than the vocals. Whenever HAIM was on there, I couldn't understand a word they were saying.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

Whoever works sound mixing for SNL should be shot for crimes against ears. I mean, I'm sure it's a tough job and all, but the only person I can think of that didn't sound significantly worse on SNL than they would otherwise is Kanye West, and I'm pretty sure that's because he transcends sound systems and beams directly into your brain. Even Gaga sounds off on that show.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

Whoever works sound mixing for SNL should be shot for crimes against ears. I mean, I'm sure it's a tough job and all, but the only person I can think of that didn't sound significantly worse on SNL than they would otherwise is Kanye West, and I'm pretty sure that's because he transcends sound systems and beams directly into your brain. Even Gaga sounds off on that show.

Possibly because Kanye's albums are mastered by a loving idiot. Yes, I just went LOUDNESS WARS in the pop thread.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

bpower posted:

Possibly because Kanye's albums are mastered by a loving idiot. Yes, I just went LOUDNESS WARS in the pop thread.
Ugh.
edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3P4n7TTXOw

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-zpOMYRi0w

This song is so trashy. Why do I like it so much? It must be that synth bass line. And she kinda sounds like Gwen.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

If any of you UK people didn't use your chance to get some loving KATE BUSH tickets I will look at you with contempt.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Sprat Sandwich posted:

If any of you UK people didn't use your chance to get some loving KATE BUSH tickets I will look at you with contempt.

Seriously. Holy poo poo.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Not from the UK, but I guess I'll make a short vacation there come September, 'cause I somehow managed to get a ticket! All 22 shows have sold out in less than half an hour. And she has pretty much confirmed that The Ninth Wave will be part of the show. I can die happy (after September, please).

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

Not from the UK, but I guess I'll make a short vacation there come September, 'cause I somehow managed to get a ticket! All 22 shows have sold out in less than half an hour. And she has pretty much confirmed that The Ninth Wave will be part of the show. I can die happy (after September, please).

Hate you so much right now :mad:

Congrats man. I would've been all over this but I just can't afford to travel that much, even if it is for loving KATE BUSH.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Have we talked about the new Kylie Minogue CD? Because I think it's great. The Enrique Iglesias song kind of sucks, but Kiss Me Once & I Was Gonna Cancel more than make up for it.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Have we talked about the new Kylie Minogue CD? Because I think it's great. The Enrique Iglesias song kind of sucks, but Kiss Me Once & I Was Gonna Cancel more than make up for it.

I don't think we have. And I probably wouldn't have brought it up, 'cause I'm actually a bit disappointed. The only songs I really like are Into The Blue and Kiss Me Once. A couple of others like Les Sex are nice as well, and the video campaign using Sexercize is fun. But even if I compare it to Aphrodite, there's nothing as majestic as All The Lovers or Aphrodite on here, or as elegant as Cupid Boy. You mention I Was Gonna Cancel, and a lot of reviewers have noted it as an album highlight as well, but I actually can't stand it one bit. It has the sound of a current Pharrell production "going" for it (I'm probably the one person on the planet to whom Get Lucky was just merely okay). But it's completely tuneless, and I get the impression that with his own album and his other production duties, Pharrell was spread a little thin when it was time to come up with a memorable song for Kylie. The Enrique Iglesias song is horrible, as you mentioned.

Anyway, the album as a whole is NOT horrible. It's got a nice, summery feel to it. But to me it's really one of the least memorable albums non-SAW Kylie has released.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I'm a longtime Pharrell fan so that's probably why I liked it. :) dude rules and I'm glad he's finally getting some mainstream solo success.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Can I make a Pet Sounds general?

I really think it'd be good

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Griff Lee posted:

Can I make a Pet Sounds general?

I really think it'd be good

Pet Sounds is so good. Came very close to walking down the aisle to "God Only Knows" at my wedding.

edit: Sam Smith just killed it on SNL. Yay!

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 30, 2014

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
The Beach Boys are such a hosed-up, interesting band with a lot of really good music that isn't from their hit period. They really deserve a thread of their own...

This is probably my favourite Beach Boys song that's criminally lesser-known: "All I Wanna Do" (recorded 1969, released 1970 on Sunflower): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_LX-m74uw

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

HEEEYYY!

YOU KNOCK ME OFFOFMY FEET NOOW BAYBEE HOOOOOOOOO!

There's a new Michael Jackson album coming May 13th it's called XSCAPE.

'Michael' was kinda bad but this might turn out to be good.

AHEEE HEEEAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yURRmWtbTbo

gently caress

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scHS8YaYoRA

Ed Sheeran just released one of the best songs of the year. Ed Sheeran. Everything I know is a lie.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Sounds like it should be on FutureLove/SexSounds

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Here's 'West Coast' a new Lana Del Rey song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SqUUoJjW8
I'm not entirely convinced.

Here's 'Monument' a snippet of a new Robyn/Röyksopp song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nek-IvGpe0w
There's a 5 track 'mini album' (…so an EP?) coming May 26th.

Reminder this is what Robyn/Röyksopp created last time they did something together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EJUCkSMN4k

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
There was a good article on Popjustice about that Ed Sheeran song, where they recalled vociferously slandering him in the past but had to admit that the new song was great. Listening to it now for the first time, I'm not sure what the fuss is all about, although it is more palatable than his previous stuff. Sounds a bit Timberlakey. Still not really my thing I don't think

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Here's 'West Coast' a new Lana Del Rey song.
Down on the West Coast they got a sayin': "gently caress all the critics in the N-Y-C"

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
So this is some pretty cool pop from Down Under:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-SeaCZE2TM

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Any love here for Banks?? From what I heard in coachella uploads she sounds similar to herself on MP3.

Found this NZ duo on a Fuse article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U48jwC8cZU

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
There's lots of definitions for Pop music. Frank Sinatara is considered pop. I for one really like Dean Martin Live at the Sands. It's fun and drunken.
Beyond the post-rock n roll age, pop became a bubble gum approach to melodies.
I enjoy the sickingly sweet + surf approach. The chick who plays drums in Tiger Trap taught me to listen closely to drums much more as part of the song. I heard the drums were recorded with one microphone hung over the top of the drum set, but it's just the greatest tone.
Most of this 'new wave' of pop, I prefer the women vocalists, like Velocity Girl.
The Shaggs are a hilariously bad attempt at pop music. The Resident's deconstructed it.
Pop is probably the name for American Idol music because there's no other name for it.
You can take Pop and add a layer of unnecessary noise and call it the Jesus and Mary Chain. It's about the melodies, man.
The mini album A Brief History of Amazing Letdowns by the Lily's is a good one to turn to for groovin on melodic, guitar oriented music with vocal harmony. This is what I've been programmed to think of when pop is brought up.

crikster fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 20, 2014

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
This guy GETS IT

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Welp, Avril Lavigne just dropped the worst thing ever.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Since I had not yet heard Avril's current album, not only could I enjoy the awfulness of the video, but also experience the awfulness of the song for the first time. What a great way to start my day. This truely is one of the worst pop releases of the year so far. It will probably get an insane amount of plays from me.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

What the loving gently caress.

Did some rich random just pay her retarded amounts of money for that? Because holy crap that's bad. I can't even like it in a funny hate-like way.
And it's so out of nowhere. She surely hasn't stooped this low? I mean, her last two albums were pretty good for the most part.

edit: Apparently this is from the new album too, and is much better

Khagan posted:

Found this NZ duo on a Fuse article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U48jwC8cZU

Being in NZ, this is all over the radio, and its really really really nice to drive to work to and hear every day.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 23, 2014

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Spiteski posted:

What the loving gently caress.

Did some rich random just pay her retarded amounts of money for that? Because holy crap that's bad. I can't even like it in a funny hate-like way.
And it's so out of nowhere. She surely hasn't stooped this low? I mean, her last two albums were pretty good for the most part.

She has a sizeable audience in Japan. She is also quite into Hello Kitty.

It's a complete mess though.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I went back to listen to her old stuff to try and redeem her but the contrast just made me sad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I couldn't finish it. Truly terrible.

I said the same thing about Hit Me Baby One More Time as a teenager, so I expect this to chart.