Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

This is just as bad as Mother Goose and Grimm or any of that Wiley poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The real twist is that the first ball was replaced after the first pitch of the game, and the boy must reconcile the fact that he didn't really care about the ball at all, but the ideal that the ball represented. Also one of them has cancer.

Screenplay by John Green.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Aztec posted:

What does this mean? What does ANY of this mean?!

Sersiouly, weren't they just on some sort of flying inter-dimensional pleasure dreadnaught, and he got stabbed in the head and????
CAD is more coherent than this.
He's been brainwiped back to the beginning of the story. Because we needed to sit through more of him undetectiving.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

What, you didn't encounter 20-year out-of-date subculture stereotypes when you were in high school 20 years ago?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

New!
Decorate your table / Table in Korean

Pöytä is table. Korea, besides being a country or two, means beautiful or decorated. -ksi is the suffix for the translative case, denoting a change of state: "change to", "become", "into". "Make your table decorated" is probably the closest literal translation in proper English. Besides that, the translative case is also used for "in (language)".

At any rate, despite its literal meaning, pöytä koreaksi is a common phrase that actually means to put a lot of good food on the table, not about frills or anything. If there's an English equivalent, let me know.

Fok_It

On Palm Sunday (usually), there's a tradition where children (especially girls) dress up as Easter witches carrying willow sprigs decorated with colorful feathers and whatnot and (not unlike Halloween) walking from door to door exchanging a sprig and a prayer for candy. It's (supposed to be) done in remembrance of Jesus arriving in Jerusalem and being greeted with palm leaves. Despite this whole deal coming from an Eastern Orthodoxy tradition of blessing willow sprigs and giving them to people to bless their family and relatives, it seems to me like it took on some old pagan characteristics as it became the modern version.

The prayer (more like a nursery rhyme, but still) I mentioned is more or less virvon varvon tuoreeks terveeks tulevaks vuodeks although there's some local variance. Virvon varvon is particularly troublesome to translate: the verb virpoa comes from virpi, a sprig, and it refers to the entire process of waggling the sprig in front of your candy-giving victim. I guess you could say it's something like "I spriggle, I spraggle" :v:. Tuoreeks... I loosely translated in the second panel.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 14, 2014

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Tiggum posted:

Ham Shears

Jill and Other Jill aren't dating? :aaa:

:aaa:

Well now I'm glued to Ham Shears again

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Classic Phantom doesn't know he's not the first Phantom?
I like the fact he has an Uncle Dave.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Sphinxster posted:

Dustin files 1040EZ.
Yeah, all his work is via a temp agency or under the table odd jobs, so his taxes will take him a half hour if he does it by hand.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Weirdly accurate artwork on the street signs. Either that, or she shopped in photos because she didn't want to screw with drawing them?

Non Sequitur

Well, not in this case, at least.

Heavenly Nostrils

I've only done that with Battlestar Galactica ToS, before we had netflix, and back when SciFi was good, and they ran a 24 hour marathon.

Kliban

Soot, I get it... but... :stare: Their noses. Weird.

9 Chickweed Lane 4/14/2003

Oh stop bitching you old bat.

Zits

Oh come on Sarah, you've got to know that Jeremy's folks are old just like your own.

Kevin & Kell

This "attempting to drop large objects on a poodle" is clearly not very effective. Why don't they just shoot her? Or, are there no guns in the K&K universe.

Nemi

Whatever you said, Nemi, it must've been impressive, as you made Ofelia puke into her napkin. :v:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Nemi

Whatever you said, Nemi, it must've been impressive, as you made Ofelia puke into her napkin. :v:

Huh. Musta shared that larva orzo recipe from earlier in the week.

Cul-de-sac plans villainy.

The Creeps is in the midst of a story line!

Candorville gives you clyde, which I know you people like for some goddamn reason.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Candorville gives you clyde, which I know you people like for some goddamn reason.

Hey hey hey, don't put that on us.

Bloom County

Imagine how unsettling the garbage-man version of the Wonkatania trip would be.

:byobear: again.

Calvin And Hobbes

Teresa Burritt and David Stanford's Shoecabbage is a strip focusing on inter-lingual homophones. I'm serious.

The artwork of the characters in Jeff Harris' Shortcuts always made me think of the Vengaboys, for some reason.

And Jason Little's Shutterbug Follies is set in the long-ago days before digital photography!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I love Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz. The problems are practically impossible to solve without some sort of extra crazy knowledge, but I just love how Inspector Danger is so delightfully grumpy. He's all like "ugh, another case? I had tickets to the game tonight."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Sphinxster posted:

Dustin files 1040EZ.

This is probably it, he works jobs but doesn't have investments or property or anything complicated. Hell, if the temp agency is like the one I worked with, he just has the one W-2 and doesn't even have to add different things together.

e: I procrastinated on my state and local returns because I knew I wasn't getting a refund and they took me about 5 minutes to do.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Darthemed posted:

Hey hey hey, don't put that on us.

Bloom County

Imagine how unsettling the garbage-man version of the Wonkatania trip would be.

What's great is that this later showed up in the Simpsons.

[quote="tiistai" post="428282514"]
Fingerpori

New!
Decorate your table / Table in Korean

"The [ethnicity] Table" is a common title for cookbooks, especially the kind with more photos than recipes. Maybe that?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm getting sick of these Masturbatory Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Everybody likes a little attention from time to time.

Ballard Street

He's not really asleep.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Darthemed posted:

And Jason Little's Shutterbug Follies is set in the long-ago days before digital photography!

I've been reading this for a while now, and it's kind of like Jane's World in that there is a story going on and it's really hard to pick up because it keeps jumping from one thing to another. But without the time travel, aliens or flashbacks within flashbacks.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

This is almost getting into Spider-Man territory now.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy gives us OBAMACARE. :argh: (January 24, 1927)

Peanuts gives us...oh, I dunno, Planned Parenthood? (April 17, 1967)

And speaking of abortions, here's Funky Winkerbean! (Wow, that was a stretch.)

CANDY KANE. These joke names from the old days are a real slap in the face from a strip that's pretending to be art now.

Popeye: Anyway, continuing on the topic of things with a lack of relation...

Rip Haywire: And while we're on the subject of taking inappropriate pride in things that piss other people off...

Pogo: And while we're contemplating how sometimes you find out things in the worst possible way... (April 16, 1956)

Out Our Way (October 20-21, 1956)

Furthering the theme of filling yourself with crap in the great outdoors...

...and from here, we start another type of fire.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I've always thought of myself as kind of a boring person but every time they do one of these strips I say a little prayer of thanks that I'm not boring enough to think that putting some jalapeño on a sandwich is an act worthy of a 'badass' biker alter-ego.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiggum posted:

I've been reading this for a while now, and it's kind of like Jane's World in that there is a story going on and it's really hard to pick up because it keeps jumping from one thing to another. But without the time travel, aliens or flashbacks within flashbacks.

This is almost getting into Spider-Man territory now.

Wrong, Spider-man is extremely boring.

e. isn't!!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 14, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kennel posted:

Wrong, Spider-man is extremely boring.

Let's not say things we can't take back!

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

RandomFerret posted:

I'm getting sick of these Masturbatory Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Everybody likes a little attention from time to time.

Ballard Street

He's not really asleep.

:staredog:

I scrolled down to read Pooch Cafe first and all I could see of Ballard Street was the squirts and the hunch of the dog. That was very disturbing.

vvv Seconding this. It was so weird and confusing at first, but now it's just charming and hilarious sort of in the same vein as Heathcliff.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 14, 2014

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I genuinely believe that Ballard Street is the best strip in papers today.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary continues to feel rerunny:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I've always thought of myself as kind of a boring person but every time they do one of these strips I say a little prayer of thanks that I'm not boring enough to think that putting some jalapeño on a sandwich is an act worthy of a 'badass' biker alter-ego.

Rose's "alter ego" makes me blindingly angry.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (March 27th 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

pienipple posted:

Rose's "alter ego" makes me blindingly angry.

Doesn't it look a lot shitter today than usual, Normally it's boringly solid, artistically.

Momma

The title is incorrect: it is the unconsidered specificity of her order (ie "That's all!") that gives her son the room to just obey the letter of her wish. Also, some odd stuff from Francis.

The Doctor's crabby attitude makes me think that this is the 3rd time this week Momma's dragged her son to see him to satisfy her proxied hypochondria.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like to think Rose isn't doing the alter ego thing intentionally. Certain things just run so counter to her bland upbringing that she spontaneously creates Other Rose. Other Rose can eat spicy food. Other Rose can listen to loud music. Other Rose can talk back to her controlling creep of a husband.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Some Guy TT posted:

A candid representation of the entrenched xenophobia of modern-day South Korea. A startlingly frank cartoon.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Whoever does Inspector Danger needs to take over ZNJ.

I feel way too smug about finally being able to solve one of those things.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Much like Out Our Way, Chief Dharma focuses on the lighter side of entrenched racism.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dr. Dos posted:

I feel way too smug about finally being able to solve one of those things.

I was able to pick the second guy as well because of the booze but I can't figure out how that makes him the killer rather than the odd man out :confused:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I was able to pick the second guy as well because of the booze but I can't figure out how that makes him the killer rather than the odd man out :confused:

I assumed that his liver disease was a cover for him poisoning both their drinks.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Some Guy TT posted:

So am I reading this wrong, or were they terrified of that guy's dick in the bathroom panel?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

I assumed that his liver disease was a cover for him poisoning both their drinks.

I thought the guy had liver disease because he was an alcoholic and wasn't going to stop just because booze was literally killing him.

VictorGrunn posted:

So am I reading this wrong, or were they terrified of that guy's dick in the bathroom panel?

Yes, because it is huge. You're probably familiar with the equivalent stereotype in American culture.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The Little King

This whimsical lil' spoiled butterball is NOT afraid to get his hands bloody.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

I thought the guy had liver disease because he was an alcoholic and wasn't going to stop just because booze was literally killing him.

I think the suggestion is that the liver disease gave the murderer an excuse to avoid drinking with the victim ... but there's no evidence the other two had a drink with the victim either, is there? Gah. Encyclopedia Brown was never this stupid.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

That dress is going to look amazing next to Quill's loving purple plaid cummerbund Gunther made him.

Apartment 3-G

1. Once again, A3G obstinately refuses to show us anything interesting. Tommie smuggled a live deer into a motel, but no reason any of us would want to see that.

2. Bolle's all like, "Hey, its that farm guy again. I guess that means this scene takes place at the farm. What motel?"

3. Good job sounding sincere with that apology, Tommie.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Selachian posted:

I think the suggestion is that the liver disease gave the murderer an excuse to avoid drinking with the victim ... but there's no evidence the other two had a drink with the victim either, is there? Gah. Encyclopedia Brown was never this stupid.

The "no prints on the water glass" isn't supposed to be nobody used it, you're supposed to insinuate "the murderer picked it up wearing gloves!" (because everyone drinks water with gloves on?), and figure out that the guy who can't drink alcohol had the water. It requires some very cheesy-detective-novel logical jumps and depends how obsessed you are with the genre conventions... much like every other Inspector Danger. The only real change is that this reference is only about 20 years old, whereas most of them seem to rely on you knowing that "Chinamen with long whiskers are always nefarious" and other ideas from Raymond Chandler-era novels.

• Locked thread