Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I felt ripped off after playing Golden Sun because there was zero closure for several plots and a giant "to be continued..." at the end. And from what I've heard the sequel was exactly the same in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The DS game got middling reviews because it repeated all the mistakes of the previous games without really bringing anything new to the table - too slow, too easy, way too much pointless dialogue that scrolls at a snail's pace, ends on a cliffhanger for no good reason.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
That's a pretty amazing EU eShop week. I'll definitely buy Nintendo Pocket Football Club and check out the Mario Golf & Etrian Odyssey demos. Maybe I'll buy Golden Sun as well.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I honestly don't remember a single thing about Golden Sun's story. The appeal to me was always in likable characters, awesome battle screens (especially for the time, nothing like that had really been done on a handheld), and a pretty interesting class/summon system. Plus characters from the first game could be transferred over to the sequel.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dehry posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/14/nintendo-cutting-price-five-nintendo-3ds-games-north-america/

Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and New Super Mario Bros. 2 are now all $29.99 on the eshop permanently

And look at that! I was just asking about a discount on Mario Kart!

EDIT: Per the article, this doesn't actually start til the 22nd.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 14, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The DS game got middling reviews because it repeated all the mistakes of the previous games without really bringing anything new to the table - too slow, too easy, way too much pointless dialogue that scrolls at a snail's pace, ends on a cliffhanger for no good reason.

Pretty much. The dialogue is horrible, it keeps going and going and going and is extremely boring, the story is generic as hell, and it feels like a copy and paste of the prior games, for better or worse. It's a frustrating love/hate relationship in that while you play you desperately want to love the game but it just doesn't put anything out there for you to enjoy.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

So it's basically just like almost every other Camelot/Sonic RPG ever made.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Goddamn it Nintendo why publish NFBC only in EU, it's already in English let me give you my money!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Cerepol posted:

Goddamn it Nintendo why publish NFBC only in EU, it's already in English let me give you my money!

The proper acronym is NPFC :v:

I guess they had to make a trade-off for Disney Magical World (which is an NA exclusive) or something, lest we forget how much region locking sucks.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 14, 2014

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Yeah, the main problem with Golden Sun as a series is the fact that every single thing is repeated several times over in the same conversation no matter the subject. It's basically Get On With It: The JRPG. The gameplay is pretty good though even though some of the puzzles tend to be tedious, although it's no Lufia 2.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
The battle system in Golden Sun was pretty good, quick against the basic enemies and fun for the harder ones, with really ridiculous summons on par with a Final Fantasy game. I don't think it was a difficult game overall, but I'd say it's an above-average RPG.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It sounds like Shovel Knight is delayed again. Yacht Club only says now that it will be here "before June".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Whenever it does end up coming out can't come soon enough, the last trailer really sold me on the game. It looks dope as gently caress.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

AnotherGamer posted:

Yeah, the main problem with Golden Sun as a series is the fact that every single thing is repeated several times over in the same conversation no matter the subject. It's basically Get On With It: The JRPG. The gameplay is pretty good though even though some of the puzzles tend to be tedious, although it's no Lufia 2.

Lufia 2 is one of the greatest JRPGs of all time and its puzzles was one of the main reasons why. How dare you!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cerepol posted:

Yes, let's sell a soccer game in the US, that's a good idea.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Well I kinda want that baseball game the US got so who knows

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Another VC Classification, Mighty Final Fight, aka Chibi Final Fight.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

We literally just got an Inazuma Eleven game.

I mean we get games about sharpening swords and pulling blocks out of a wall, there's weirder poo poo that has found a market here. Nintendo just dedicated an entire Direct to weirder poo poo last week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

Golden Sun is a fantastic game that looks god drat beautiful on a big screen, so y'all should get on that as F-Zero GBA isn't that great.

Unless I can race futuristic hover machines at high speeds in Golden Sun I will be buying F-Zero.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

AnotherGamer posted:

There's also the fact that not a single game in the series actually ends. Every single game ends on a cliffhanger. It's like a series tradition now.

Not that the story is anything special anyway, but it's still pretty annoying.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Help Im Alive posted:

Well I kinda want that baseball game the US got so who knows

After searching around, I am now aware that the 3DS only has one baseball game, and even then it's...kinda a baseball game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Shinjobi posted:

After searching around, I am now aware that the 3DS only has one baseball game, and even then it's...kinda a baseball game.

it's a set of baseball themed minigames

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Well does getting a rating cost money? If not where is the big cost in releasing a digital game to another region? Especially one that can just use one of the languages already provided.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Games in the PAL region are commonly translated into at least 3 languages, as opposed to NA which is just English.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

Games in the PAL region are commonly translated into at least 3 languages, as opposed to NA which is just English.

Actually a ton of companies, including Atlus, have English-only 3DS releases even in Europe. You can even get non-English packaging for these games!

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies is available in North America and Europe but only in English.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Elliotw2 posted:

I thought most games in the US were in English and Spanish? At least when I went over there, it seemed like every box had a good 50% of the back of the box in Spanish.

E: Come to think of it, I bought one of those games and don't remember it having language options. Huh. Weird.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I thought most games in the US were in English and Spanish? At least when I went over there, it seemed like every box had a good 50% of the back of the box in Spanish.

E: Come to think of it, I bought one of those games and don't remember it having language options. Huh. Weird.

Most major titles for the past five years or so (pretty much Super Mario Galaxy 1 onwards) have been in English, French and Spanish at least, while smaller studios/releases (e.g. JRPG's where we were lucky to even get them in English) tend to be English-only. Rarely, Portuguese is an option on the major releases as well. For Nintendo consoles you usually have to actually set the entire console to the language for it to be playable, although there's the odd title that lets you override it in the options somewhere. European releases usually have those 3 languages and add at least German, and often Italian, as well as other languages like Russian depending on the popularity of the title. If the game is dubbed and being released on a console with memory capacity issues (e.g. some 360 and original DS releases) they might have language-specific editions that have to be sought out, or have a few different editions (e.g. Phoenix Wright 1 has an English/French/German edition and a Spanish/Italian version as a separate release). Extremely rarely you'll have highly-specialized releases for weird territories, like French-only NTSC releases for Quebec (I think there have been only something like 12 titles released this way ever, mostly on 360; there was 1 NES game and 1 SNES game released this way, for example).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Agatsuma Entertainment has confirmed a PAL release for Sayonara Umihara Kawase (Yumi's Odd Odyssey), it'll be out next Thursday.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Agatsuma Entertainment has confirmed a PAL release for Sayonara Umihara Kawase (Yumi's Odd Odyssey), it'll be out next Thursday.

Hooray! Now to brace myself for the price.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The price wasn't on the (very Engrish-y) press release, but it's 24.99EUR and I guess around 20GBP. It confirms an AU/NZ release, too.

EDIT: trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ur42L0jKs8

EDIT EDIT: longer overview trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE8xCzXGREY

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 15, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm glad it's coming out, but I hope the 3D is really good or something, because the graphics look pretty lifeless compared to the original sprites.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 15, 2014

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Is there any reason to get F-Zero SNES instead of Maximum Velocity?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Because F-Zero SNES is better is almost every way?

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Is it? How so? I'm just looking for consumer opinions here, I've never played either game. (I did play and enjoy GP Legend though.) I just assumed Maximum Velocity had more content because it's a newer game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

They're basically the same game, though I'd say that Maximum Velocity has better tracks and graphics. F-Zero SNES is perfectly fine as a Mode 7 racer, but I feel like Maximum Velocity had better track design. It's too bad that none of the other F-Zero games are playable on the Wii U though, because I would say that both are the weakest games in the series. X, GX, and GP Legend are far better and more interesting, just they're not on the Wii U.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I guess if you're coming into it with zero nostalgia and want the biggest bang for your buck, MV has more cars and more tracks. I still think F-Zero is better.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

They're basically the same game, though I'd say that Maximum Velocity has better tracks and graphics. F-Zero SNES is perfectly fine as a Mode 7 racer, but I feel like Maximum Velocity had better track design. It's too bad that none of the other F-Zero games are playable on the Wii U though, because I would say that both are the weakest games in the series. X, GX, and GP Legend are far better and more interesting, just they're not on the Wii U.

Isn't X available in the regular Wii store? A pain to deal with, yes, but still doable on a Wii U.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

univbee posted:

Isn't X available in the regular Wii store? A pain to deal with, yes, but still doable on a Wii U.
Yeah, X is on the old Wii Shop Channel.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zenintrude posted:

Because F-Zero SNES is better is almost every way?

No, it isn't. I'd consider it not nearly as good of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The GBA one has better tracks and graphics and probably better racing mechanics. The SNES one has better music and the racers themselves just feel cooler. Both are really simple and bare bones and pale in comparison to the n64 and GameCube versions.