Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Yeah, but it's still something you'd expect Kouta to know, if only when they first met. I know I sound like a nitpicker, but it just seems weird for our hero to have a huge blindspot over his supposed best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

Yeah, but it's still something you'd expect Kouta to know, if only when they first met. I know I sound like a nitpicker, but it just seems weird for our hero to have a huge blindspot over his supposed best friend.

We already know that Mitsuzane has pretty much always acted differently when around Mai, Kouta and the rest and very much doesn't want them to know about his social status. It's fair to assume that he'd have just lied about it if the subject ever came up. It's not like Kouta and Mai would've ever had a reason to be suspicious of him about that.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Micchy already had to lie just to hang around them, I don't think he'd be just all willy nilly telling his friends "My brother owns that big rear end building in the middle of the city".

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

RBX posted:

Micchy already had to lie just to hang around them, I don't think he'd be just all willy nilly telling his friends "My brother owns that big rear end building in the middle of the city".

Exactly. Yggdrasil essentially owns the city, put a bunch of it's residents out of work (see Kaito's family) and bulldozed their religious sites. I can understand why he wouldn't want to broadcast that information even without all the Inves and Rider shenanigans.

Plus, I've never really thought of Micchy as Kouta's best friend. In the beginning he was just a forgettable background character from the dance troupe and I don't think anybody expected any important characters to come out of it (they all felt really Mobbish). Circumstances have made them closer, but he still feels more dance-buddy/supposed ally than bff.

If Kouta had anybody for a best friend, my money would have been on Yuuya, since he was probably the only one not younger than Kouta, being the leader (save, maybe Mai).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Summer movie spoilers:

It seems that Yuuya and Hase will be present in some form, most likely flashbacks.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Plus, I've never really thought of Micchy as Kouta's best friend. In the beginning he was just a forgettable background character from the dance troupe and I don't think anybody expected any important characters to come out of it (they all felt really Mobbish). Circumstances have made them closer, but he still feels more dance-buddy/supposed ally than bff.

Agreed; if anything, the show was heavily pointing to Micchy looking up to Kouta as his idealized role model (think episode 1 had Mai scolding him, and the rest of the team, to stop wishing Kouta would come back and just focus on the team as it was), and that relationship was never shown as mutual. That would only reinforce Micchy's motive to hide information about his background from people he highly respects/respected.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So today's episode has lots of fabulousness, silly fights, and some ridiculous cross dressing. So it's basically exactly what I expected out of a Kamen Rider Gaim episode written by Jin Haganeya. I'm pretty sure Urobuchi only wrote one scene of that entire episode. I liked it. The slightly confused reactions I'm seeing from people who weren't expecting something quite like this in Gaim are pretty entertaining.

Haganeya appears to be on point for next week too, so I'm looking forward to how he'll pan out with what appears to be a much more serious episode.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

It's about time Oren got some focus again :swoon:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

This is probably my favorite episode so far. We can't be running in super-serious melodrama mode all the time; goofy episodes can be a wonderful breath of fresh air.

I did get really scared towards the end there, though :ohdear:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
New episode is out.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
I wonder if Sagara was just telling the Prof what he wanted to hear.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And I though there wasn't going to be any romance in this show. :v:

.Clash posted:

I wonder if Sagara was just telling the Prof what he wanted to hear.

That's pretty much what he's been doing to Kouta too.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Man, my heart dropped when Joey said he missed Hase. Just the worst. Is this what dramatic irony is?

e: not the other nutbro

scaterry fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 14, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

This episode was a nice little appetizer before the poo poo hits the fan next week, but oh what good filler it was :allears:

Between Oren finally clueing in to what's going on, Ryoma losing his mind, and more teasing as to what Sagara is , it was a juicy little nugget of plot hidden in the greatest dragshow ever

NEVER GIIIVE UPPPPPP

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I could have done without the cross-dressing stuff, but if this is a sign of Joey actually doing poo poo later I can deal.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So...what happened to Oren at the end of the episode? Did the crack zip on him midway through?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I just thought he was in shock about the forest looking so weird

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Solaris Knight posted:

I just thought he was in shock about the forest looking so weird

But he's been there

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Wow, I feel dumb now :downs:

So this isn't a bannable post, I recently started watching Double, finished episode 4, it's really cool how Rider has so many subgenres that it can do, and themes.

I want a good fantasy based Rider damnit :qq:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wizard is a good fantasy Rider show. The fantasy being that it's a good show at all!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Solaris Knight posted:

Wow, I feel dumb now :downs:

So this isn't a bannable post, I recently started watching Double, finished episode 4, it's really cool how Rider has so many subgenres that it can do, and themes.

I want a good fantasy based Rider damnit :qq:

Watch Hibiki. Unless you mean with Wizards and poo poo then watch Wizard and realize magic is stupid and dumb :colbert:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I didn't hate Wizard, but I can't argue it isn't really anything special.

Anyways, that was a fun episode. I don't think i'll ever stop liking the DJ Gun.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Wizard was my first Rider series and first Japanese tokusatsu show in general, which is the main reason why I want a GOOD fantasy Rider

As for Hibiki, I heard it goes off of the rails and becomes poo poo in the second half :smith:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

As for ______, I heard it goes off of the rails and becomes poo poo in the second half :smith:

This is pretty much all Rider shows right here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Potsticker posted:

This is pretty much all Rider shows right here.
Recent exceptions off the top of my head:

I've heard good things about Black / Black RX on the subject of follow-through. No idea about anything older.

W is on the top of a lot of "best Rider series" lists for a reason.

OOO, because that one becomes shitfiller during the middle and gets good again at the end.

Fourze would've been fine if they'd foreshadowed Kengo being a loving star child better.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

W and OOOs are definite exceptions, but it says something that even they weren't without issues.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Leper Colon V posted:

OOO, because that one becomes shitfiller during the middle and gets good again at the end.

This is true of every Kobayashi series though. Amazing writer no doubt, but the middle part of every series she's behind is really hard to get through. Shinkenger (as much as I like how the Akumaro arc ended up), Ryuki was boring as hell for a rather long while, and Go-Busters had those awful crossover episodes and a few sort of boring episodes, though I don't remember hating its middle quite as much as the rest (and I say this as a massive Shinkenger fan).

I'd say something about Den-O but I've honestly forgotten that series entirely, and I wasn't a big fan of it even while watching it. I expect ToQger to follow this pattern, as well.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is true of every Kobayashi series though. Amazing writer no doubt, but the middle part of every series she's behind is really hard to get through. Shinkenger (as much as I like how the Akumaro arc ended up), Ryuki was boring as hell for a rather long while, and Go-Busters had those awful crossover episodes and a few sort of boring episodes, though I don't remember hating its middle quite as much as the rest (and I say this as a massive Shinkenger fan).

I'd say something about Den-O but I've honestly forgotten that series entirely, and I wasn't a big fan of it even while watching it. I expect ToQger to follow this pattern, as well.

Kobayashi should just get a secondary writer to help with the middle parts.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Great episode all around, especially since more people are starting to get an inkling of the bigger picture.

And Oren, if you see a delicious-looking fruit, please don't eat it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

Counter-point for Shinkenger: The middle became the Genta Show Starring Genta and the Shinkengers and that's basically all I've ever wanted.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 16, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Spoilers for Gaim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFDsL_mwBY

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
Is this the first time a Rider has been successfully attacked mid-form change? Micchy is a poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Thurm posted:

Is this the first time a Rider has been successfully attacked mid-form change? Micchy is a poo poo.

Did that little poo poo finally turn on Kouta? D:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Dexie posted:

Did that little poo poo finally turn on Kouta? D:

He seems to set up a fight between Kouta and Marika so he can see how the window between form changes with Kachidoki, and then sets up a fight between the Overlord Redue and Kaito so that Kouta gets pissed at Kaito for loving up their chances at making peace with the Overlords. While Kouta is changing to Kachidoki to take on Kaito, Micchy shoots him in the back after Orange Arms disappears but before Kachidoki has landed on him.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rei_ posted:

He seems to set up a fight between Kouta and Marika so he can see how the window between form changes with Kachidoki, and then sets up a fight between the Overlord Redue and Kaito so that Kouta gets pissed at Kaito for loving up their chances at making peace with the Overlords. While Kouta is changing to Kachidoki to take on Kaito, Micchy shoots him in the back after Orange Arms disappears but before Kachidoki has landed on him.

That little poo poo. I am so ready for him to get his goddamn comeuppance. :argh:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

And this ALL HAPPENS because Mai loving SLAPS HIM with a righteous fury not seen since like, Bright loving Noa. His faux-pauper poo poo is collapsing around him and he's finally lost his mind it looks like.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 20, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Raws are out.

Holy poo poo this episode. Holy poo poo that preview.

Gaim is too loving good.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Subs for episode 26 are now released.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

This show seriously is not loving around. I'm glad I picked Gaim to start watching Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Micchy you scumbag. Doing the logical thing and striking during the transformation when he is weakest? You motherfucker
Also, I enjoy that we are getting Takatora backstory because that moment during the introduction just cemented that he genuinely does care about what Yggsdrasil is attempting to do. It's almost as if he was Kouta when he was younger.

• Locked thread