Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Maybe they'll print a 2/2 Lifelink Trample Bestow creature called Cloaked Armadillo and we can get Magic's second anteater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

What they really need to print is a new Brushwagg.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

Why yes. I would certainly like to bounce my cantrip auras back to my hand every turn. Thanks for asking! U/W Heroic decks in limited are going to be even more insane than they are already.

That's the best "Build around me" uncommon since Howl of the Nightpack in M14.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mulletstation posted:

Don't dismiss it so ezzay. Chandra is equally deceptively powerful.

I have considered your opinion, but have decided that yes I will continue to easily dismiss the card.

I have to doubt you've tried playing Rw Burn at a competitive tournament, otherwise you'd know bringing up Chandra is a point against your case. In all my games with her active I have done her 0 ability exactly 0 times. I can see extreme exceptions that prove the rule where doing the 0 would somehow be better than +1-ing and threatening the ultimate, and the same case goes for the 1/3 for 1RR. Nothing about the new card fits into the deck's main or sideboard plans, and unless there's some huge metagame shift and tons of changes to existing archtypes, the card will not be played.

In Standard. In Limited we'll see if it creates interesting board states or annoyances that you can just lose on turn 3 (facing against it).

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not targeted. The language just says "choose a creature."

You mean this card, right?

choose any number of target creatures...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

That's the best "Build around me" uncommon since Howl of the Nightpack in M14.

I would hardly call drafting a single color building around a card.

Unlike a card like Spider Spawning.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yoked Ox saw fringe sideboard play against aggro decks so I have high hopes for SPACE SHEEP.

Count Bleck posted:

I'm just hoping they reprint Chandra, Pyromaster.

Because honest to god it's the best Redwalker we've had in a while and I hope Wizards realizes that.
Yeah, fingers crossed for M15, because that's the first Chandra I've really liked. If Lili OTDR got a drat reprint, surely Chandra, Pyromaster can.

I wonder if they could push the use-it-or-lose-it card draw at lower rarities. Would this be too good for red?:

Use it or Lose It 2R
Sorcery
Exile the top two cards of your library. You may play them this turn.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AnacondaHL posted:

I have considered your opinion, but have decided that yes I will continue to easily dismiss the card.

I have to doubt you've tried playing Rw Burn at a competitive tournament, otherwise you'd know bringing up Chandra is a point against your case. In all my games with her active I have done her 0 ability exactly 0 times. I can see extreme exceptions that prove the rule where doing the 0 would somehow be better than +1-ing and threatening the ultimate, and the same case goes for the 1/3 for 1RR. Nothing about the new card fits into the deck's main or sideboard plans, and unless there's some huge metagame shift and tons of changes to existing archtypes, the card will not be played.

In Standard. In Limited we'll see if it creates interesting board states or annoyances that you can just lose on turn 3 (facing against it).

Chandra, Pyromaster's 0-ability shines in R-Devotion decks. You Nykthos for 7+ mana, plop her down, use it and now you just drew a card. She has saved me so many times by giving me the little extra dig the deck needs to get sufficient creatures on the board. In fact, once she is rooted on the field, her 0-ability is the first thing I do after I draw every turn, unless removing a potential blocker would mean the win with the current board state.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Scrying with Magma Jet with a Chandra on the board is the best.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

I wonder if they could push the use-it-or-lose-it card draw at lower rarities. Would this be too good for red?:

Use it or Lose It 2R
Sorcery
Exile the top two cards of your library. You may play them this turn.

This card seems awful, you need a ton of mana for it to actually be more than a 1 for 1.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

This card seems awful, you need a ton of mana for it to actually be more than a 1 for 1.

Maybe RR for the cost? Don't want to give Storm too many tools.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

AlternateNu posted:

Chandra, Pyromaster's 0-ability shines in R-Devotion decks. You Nykthos for 7+ mana, plop her down, use it and now you just drew a card. She has saved me so many times by giving me the little extra dig the deck needs to get sufficient creatures on the board. In fact, once she is rooted on the field, her 0-ability is the first thing I do after I draw every turn, unless removing a potential blocker would mean the win with the current board state.

Yes, it's pretty neat she's actually good enough to be played in two different ways in two different decks! I'm hoping for an M15 reprint too.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

Maybe RR for the cost? Don't want to give Storm too many tools.

RR is probably too good for storm. 2R is almost too good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Storm ruins everything.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
The most disappointing thing about Pharika is that they posted a FFL article a while back talking about how someone figured out the current Dredge deck as a good deck in FFL. They were keenly aware that BG players in standard would want something that synergizes with that sort of strategy of dumping things in the graveyard to be used for other purposes.

As another poster commented, they must have changed Pharika with another card. It just doesn't make any sense including the "ability" to give your opponent 1/1 deathtouchers. Why would you ever want to do that?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Korak posted:

The most disappointing thing about Pharika is that they posted a FFL article a while back talking about how someone figured out the current Dredge deck as a good deck in FFL. They were keenly aware that BG players in standard would want something that synergizes with that sort of strategy of dumping things in the graveyard to be used for other purposes.

As another poster commented, they must have changed Pharika with another card. It just doesn't make any sense including the "ability" to give your opponent 1/1 deathtouchers. Why would you ever want to do that?

You'd want to do it if they were going to reanimate an Angel of Serenity or something. No one's playing reanimator in the current standard though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Korak posted:

Clearly Ken Nagle found out about these Standard Dredge shenanigans and decided to put the screws to it by not only ruining the Dredge god, mut remaking it into the anti-Dredge god.

:tinfoil:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Fantasy designer for Pharika, since I just put together the GB dredge deck that shits out Monstrous Nemesis of Mortals on turn 4-5:

1GB: Reveal the top 4 cards of your library and put them into your graveyard. Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn for each creature card revealed.

Kinda like Drown In Filth, except not?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Loving Life Partner posted:

Fantasy designer for Pharika, since I just put together the GB dredge deck that shits out Monstrous Nemesis of Mortals on turn 4-5:

1GB: Reveal the top 4 cards of your library and put them into your graveyard. Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn for each creature card revealed.

Kinda like Drown In Filth, except not?

Would it be too crazy if it were "Each creature card in your graveyard"?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

jassi007 posted:

RR is probably too good for storm. 2R is almost too good.

2R is nowhere near too good, otherwise Storm would just play Divination.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

jassi007 posted:

You mean this card, right?

choose any number of target creatures...

Yeah, we talked about that already. I was thinking of the blue card that lets you copy a creature without targeting.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Elyv posted:

2R is nowhere near too good, otherwise Storm would just play Divination.

1R would honestly be fine. It's not like Night's Whisper broke any formats in half.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there a list somewhere for this standard dredge?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Note that Ideas Unbound already exists and got played a lot in Pauper storm decks, but never in Modern to my knowledge. RR is a bit easier than UU, given all the rituals. Maybe two of them would cause critical mass?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

Note that Ideas Unbound already exists and got played a lot in Pauper storm decks, but never in Modern to my knowledge. RR is a bit easier than UU, given all the rituals. Maybe two of them would cause critical mass?

Idea's Unbound also lets you discard cards instead of exiling them, feeding both the dredge mechanic and Past in Flames.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think this is the most current version from Conley Woods, I think there was also a similar list at SCG Dallas this weekend as well.

G/B Dredge

Lands
    8 x Forest
    1 x Golgari Guildgate
    4 x Overgrown Tomb
    7 x Swamp

Creatures
    2 x Deathrite Shaman
    4 x Sylvan Caryatid
    4 x Elvish Mystic
    3 x Herald Of Torment
    2 x Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
    3 x Lotleth Troll
    4 x Nemesis of Mortals
    4 x Nighthowler
    4 x Satyr Wayfinder
    2 x Shadowborn Demon

Noncreature Spells
    1 x Whip of Erebos
    3 x Commune with the Gods
    4 x Grisly Salvage

Sideboard
    2 x Golgari Charm
    1 x Lifebane Zombie
    3 x Skylasher
    2 x Shadowborn Demon
    3 x Thoughtseize
    2 x Mistcutter Hydra
    2 x Nylea's Disciple

I haven't played with it yet since I don't have the deathrites or shocks, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Ari Lax's list from the GP - http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1192250

Top 16 from SCG Milwaukee - http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1194541

Decktech from SCG Dallas - http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/deck_tech_gb_dredge_with_hal_b.html

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I distinctly remember Shadowborn Demon being a 3 dollar mythic.

I should've picked up the remaining 3 for 12 :argh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

I distinctly remember Shadowborn Demon being a 3 dollar mythic.

I should've picked up the remaining 3 for 12 :argh:

It's still a little over 3 bucks on TCG player.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Cactrot posted:

I haven't played with it yet since I don't have the deathrites or shocks, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Definitely is a ton of fun to play, but the downside is that it is not terribly consistent, you'll lose to your mana base or mulligans more frequently than you would lose to an opponent. Other games you'll be swinging with multiple 15/15 lifelink trample dudes or do nothing for 4 turns other than dump stuff into your graveyard, be down to 5 life and then swing for 24 or something silly like that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

It's still a little over 3 bucks on TCG player.

Aaaand snagged.

Now all I need is another Jarad, and two Deathrites :3:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Idea's Unbound also lets you discard cards instead of exiling them, feeding both the dredge mechanic and Past in Flames.

You can also play it before your combo turn to help set up.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

You can tell this was really pushed. It is so much better than Two-Headed Cerberus.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Applebees posted:

You can tell this was really pushed. It is so much better than Two-Headed Cerberus.

Comparing a common and a mythic is usually fruitless.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Applebees posted:

I'm just not totally convinced that Flamespeaker isn't just a Win More card since you still have to pay for the drawn spells. Obviously, I could be wrong and it could be a powerhouse.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 14, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Applebees posted:

It doesn't seam crazy broken to me. Pretty cool card though.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Just got a playset of the Flamespeaker for 7 bucks apiece. Now up to 8 an hour later....already in value-town! Seriously, could go either up or down but has enough potential to speculate a little on as it's a card that will be fun to play with no matter what. Now time to start brewing up my Kiln Fiend/Prophetic Flamespeaker deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm just not totally convinced that Flamespeaker isn't just a Win More card since you still have to pay for the drawn spells. Obviously, I could be wrong and it could be a powerhouse.

Also keep in mind you can't play those spells until after combat, so burn spells and haste / pseudo-haste creatures lose a lot of utility here.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Toshimo posted:

Comparing a common and a mythic is usually fruitless.

It's still pushed if you compare it to other cards like Markov Blademaster and Warren Instigator. The only other card that has trample and double strike is Dragon Tyrant, and that costs ten mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Zoness posted:

Also keep in mind you can't play those spells until after combat, so burn spells and haste / pseudo-haste creatures lose a lot of utility here.

You lose utility but you gain card advantage so it probably balances out.

Seems like he's decent wrath insurance, too. If they clear your board and you drop him after they have one turn to deal or you're getting in there for new dudes or just more burn to the face.

• Locked thread