Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Internet Janitor posted:

Making a series of frames for an 8-direction walk.

Still needs some work, but I think it's a good start.

8 direction walk? Nah man the turtle should just spin round and round like that the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

seiken posted:

8 direction walk? Nah man the turtle should just spin round and round like that the whole time.

Spinny the overwaxed turtle.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean? Is it that they're the same brightness through each stage of colour? If so, im in sort of a quandary because i had to ensure the 2nd darkest purple was darker than the 3rd darkest metal colour (Last column) and im also trying to reduce the amount of colours i use, on advice from the Pixeljoint forums. Should i try to make certain colour ramps darker than others? I'll keep playing around with the colours.

Very late in replying, but yeah that's what I meant. The colours in your latest revisions look good. For a universal palette especially you need colour ramps to be able to cross-over, which is no good if every ramp appears to have the same value. Ideally if there's a gap you should just be able to sub in a grey or something.

Your current palette with all desaturated shades and saturated, fairly dark, lighter colours is interesting. Suits that kind of nu-school bubblegum style.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I'm really proud of this so far.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Currently trying my hand at doing small, pixelated characters:

Hopefully it's still readable, whilst retaining detail.

The reason for the differences is that i am trying different body types; Average, Short, Skinny, Tall and Fat, I'll try to do them in different poses, but this is all i've done so far.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
So i'm thinking of perhaps doing a mock-up reminiscent of Tactical RPG's like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advance, Advance 2, Shining Force series, fire emblem etc and how they dealt with various unit's classes and their promotions/class changes

My aim is to create some units depicting various classes and their class-line promotion/evolution. First Row is supposed to be the more defensive line of warriors, 2nd focuses on melee units that either dual wield or wield one handed weapons and the last focuses on two-handed weapon users. After the 2nd promotion, you'd be given a choice to promote said unit to either one of the end classes for that line (3 or 4).

My main issue is that i don't know how readable these units are, whether they're anatomically correct (i am unsure of the arms) whilst keeping them below 32X32.

Any feedback would be immensely appreciated, it's sort of my first real attempt at anything remotely resembling an npc.

Here's a bigger version:

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 17, 2014

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

blargh

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Tried making bigger, more detailed versions of the body types i did earlier (Currently missing thin-tallish pink one).

I kind of feel that my lack of understanding the human body and it's shape shows.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Tried making bigger, more detailed versions of the body types i did earlier (Currently missing thin-tallish pink one).

I kind of feel that my lack of understanding the human body and it's shape shows.

It kinda looks like their torsos are pointing straight ahead while their heads and legs are off to the side. That might be the problem.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Disproportionation posted:

It kinda looks like their torsos are pointing straight ahead while their heads and legs are off to the side. That might be the problem.

Does this edit help? (Lower left corner)

Could it also be the shading of the right leg?

Thanks for the comment, appreciate it. I'm not sure how else to change the chest, without radically altering it to fit the direction of the legs and head.

Edit: Tried moving the chest to make it look like it's facing the same way as the legs and head, think i pretty much failed:

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 19, 2014

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Edit: Tried moving the chest to make it look like it's facing the same way as the legs and head, think i pretty much failed:

If the torso is turned the same way as the legs, the shaded area where the light isn't hitting the armpit & ribcage should be more prominent on the left.

I think you could get away with what you have now if these guys are going to be animated though.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
I think the arms on the right (viewer's right) need to not sprout straight from the torso, that's what gives it the feel of bad proportions. Like the legs are shaded to be in perspective but the arms aren't. I'd also try moving the heads one pixel to the right. (again viewer's right)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

the chaos engine posted:

I think the arms on the right (viewer's right) need to not sprout straight from the torso, that's what gives it the feel of bad proportions. Like the legs are shaded to be in perspective but the arms aren't. I'd also try moving the heads one pixel to the right. (again viewer's right)

I tried doing what you said (barring the position of the arms, although i did move the right-arm a pixel closer to the chest and also moved the head a pixel to the right.

If it still doesn't look right i'll try changing the position of the arms (both or just the right?).

Thanks btw for the comments, critique and advice so far, it's really helpful in making me re-evaluate and make changes to my pixel-art.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I tried doing what you said (barring the position of the arms, although i did move the right-arm a pixel closer to the chest and also moved the head a pixel to the right.

If it still doesn't look right i'll try changing the position of the arms (both or just the right?).

Thanks btw for the comments, critique and advice so far, it's really helpful in making me re-evaluate and make changes to my pixel-art.

Getting there! The arms still look like two mirrored pieces though, and the perspective / angle of the sprite shouldn't allow that. Maybe the hands shouldn't be facing inwards on both arms, at least not to the point where they look like absolute mirrors of each other.

EDIT: Let me try something so I don't feel like a dick if I'm wrong.

I took the one on the right and moved the right arm more into the torso, also messed w the shading a bit to change the angle. Moved the hand on the right one pixel to the right, and lowered the left arm.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

the chaos engine posted:

Getting there! The arms still look like two mirrored pieces though, and the perspective / angle of the sprite shouldn't allow that. Maybe the hands shouldn't be facing inwards on both arms, at least not to the point where they look like absolute mirrors of each other.

EDIT: Let me try something so I don't feel like a dick if I'm wrong.

I took the one on the right and moved the right arm more into the torso, also messed w the shading a bit to change the angle. Moved the hand on the right one pixel to the right, and lowered the left arm.

Thanks for the edit, would i be able to use it as basis for future versions?

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Yeah dude go nuts :)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

the chaos engine posted:

Yeah dude go nuts :)

Thanks I appreciate it, I applied it to the other ones, I also tried a bigger version of the priest (and another varient, the bishop):

I'm not too keen on the arms of the characters holding the staffs.

Sorry for there being so much blank space, i anticipate it'll be filled pretty soon. I feel like i've improved especially since last year.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I've been listening to retro wave all day and this happened.

Edit:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 20, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Shoehead posted:

I've been listening to retro wave all day and this happened.

Edit:

Okay, I want to see this as a real game now.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Nice work Shoehead!

Here's an update, did some more:

I'm a tad worried about the knight; wasn't sure how to make it look like plate armour so i tried 3 variations, a minimalist one (1), a more detailed version (2) and a compromise between those two variations (3). Hopefully they all read as armour at least. Also still worried that the characters don't look right but that might just be my own anxiousness about the whole thing playing up.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I think the knight's shape looks good in any of the variations (#3 being my favorite) but what it could use is a bright highlight color to indicate that it's metal.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Okay, I want to see this as a real game now.

Fighting against the evil SPC foundation?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I changed up his colours, I think he looks a little sharkier now.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Another quick portrait.

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Numb's no good, but it sure beats the hurt
Argh I really need to get back into pixel work. I've been feeling really discouraged recently and like I need to learn again from the beginning; can anyone recommend some tutorials to start with? EDIT: nevermind, I forgot about the OP!

Even running Compixellated isn't helping, though I appreciate those who are on the pixel community on tumblr doing the challenges. Thanks for submitting Heavy Lobster!

stegoceras fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 22, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

stegoceras posted:

Argh I really need to get back into pixel work. I've been feeling really discouraged recently and like I need to learn again from the beginning; can anyone recommend some tutorials to start with? EDIT: nevermind, I forgot about the OP!

Even running Compixellated isn't helping, though I appreciate those who are on the pixel community on tumblr doing the challenges. Thanks for submitting Heavy Lobster!

You're Patchy, right? I really like your pixels! You just need to do them more!

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Assassin concept and portrait. (edit: and character!)

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 23, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Even more sharks! I made his thighs longer cos I was having a poo poo time animating them.
Also a bike! There has got to be a better way to do those wheels, any suggestions?

Also unrelated!

EDIT: WAIT NO I GOT IT

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 23, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Tunicate posted:

Fighting against the evil SPC foundation?

Yesssss oh god yes!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Another update, changed the chest of all characters, updated some characters, changed the plate armour, hopefully it looks like plate armour.

Not sure if it's an improvement.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I'm curious: How many of you are actually working on games? Or are you just doing this for shits'n'giggles?

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
If anyone is interested in getting feedback on their pixel art from a pro, Paul veer aka Pietepiet set up an email address just for that: pietepiet+feedback@gmail. I asked him if it was ok to share it with this thread and he said fine. His character animations are crazy good.

Anyway I needed a break from guns and poo poo so I drew some kitties :3 Gonna animate em when I have some time.

Sagacity posted:

I'm curious: How many of you are actually working on games? Or are you just doing this for shits'n'giggles?

I work on games. Just indie stuff.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Sagacity posted:

I do a bit of paid freelance in the indie scene. I'd love to get more work in this medium.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Sagacity posted:

My stuff isn't good enough quality to be used in games. I'm just interested in pixel-art and happen to dabble in it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I should probably try find someone to work with on mini games for experience, I'm afraid of letting people down though.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Shoehead posted:

I should probably try find someone to work with on mini games for experience, I'm afraid of letting people down though.

If I were you guys I'd grab the newest version of Fusion (formerly Multimedia Fusion) GameMaker or Construct and go to town. It's really not that difficult to get started. http://www.pixelprospector.com/

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Sagacity posted:

http://retributiongames.com/fotf/first.html

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm having fun doing it.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Ha, awesome. Is this then the right thread to mention that I'm a programmer looking for a pixel artist to work on small/fun little games? :)

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Sagacity posted:

Ha, awesome. Is this then the right thread to mention that I'm a programmer looking for a pixel artist to work on small/fun little games? :)

swarm swarm swarm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Cheap Shot posted:

swarm swarm swarm!

That was the subject line to my PM. Thanks for the inspiration.