Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Link for posterity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The dogs kicked the book off the train rather than straight up destroying it -- they lured Spender off the train as well. Interesting.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code

neogeo0823 posted:

Most likely, yes. I'm betting she's gonna use it to lightspeed run to her book and grab it before the pixeldogs can destroy it.

I thought only possessed people could do this? Izzies just a tool user, she doesn't have anybody possessing her she could chat (and thus slow down time) with.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

shelper posted:

I thought only possessed people could do this? Izzies just a tool user, she doesn't have anybody possessing her she could chat (and thus slow down time) with.

Max did it too.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I wonder--we earlier saw Eightfold manifest briefly before getting re-tooled, with the implication that that's been done a few times. They seem to have a decent rapport, I'm curious as to if they've considered ditching the book and going medium.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trebuchet King posted:

I wonder--we earlier saw Eightfold manifest briefly before getting re-tooled, with the implication that that's been done a few times. They seem to have a decent rapport, I'm curious as to if they've considered ditching the book and going medium.

I was just wondering why they haven't tried that already honestly :v:

Maybe the appearance complication is more trouble than the advantages are worth?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Something about the way Isabella's drawn in that last panel makes me think that her going wacky time sprint isn't entirely voluntary.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

shelper posted:

They even go out of the way during Max's introduction to the Activity Club, when Spender threw his bat across the room before explaining the communication thing.

Perhaps Isabella has two spirits? For some reason I keep thinking Max does.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Tollymain posted:

Maybe the appearance complication is more trouble than the advantages are worth?

I guess Isabel doesn't want to be an Excrementalist.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

shelper posted:

Isaac went superspeed that time because Spender asked him to because Max was asking why time froze when he met his tool spirit while fighting the frog monster.

Tool users can go superspeed.

Now, how Isabel is managing that when her tool isn't even on the train anymore is entirely another matter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Splicer posted:

Now, how Isabel is managing that when her tool isn't even on the train anymore is entirely another matter.

Perhaps it's because of her ability to remotely use a tool.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

MikeJF posted:

Most likely this. She apparently has incredible range of use for her tool. I bet she went superspeed at the very edge of the tool's range, and is hoping to get it back before it leaves said range.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MikeJF posted:

Yup, but but communing with her spirit just after it's been kicked off a runaway train is probably a step up again from the porch thing.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

If the book didn't fly very far off of the train and the train is moving Isabel closer to the book she may have just moved into range for psychic ghost power shenanigans. So clearly we're gonna see her jump out a window and wall run to her book and kick some rear end! :v:

Or maybe eightfold goes spirit form and climbs back into the train or something either way I'm gonna be sad to see cat?dog? go hah.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 15, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Or maybe eightfold goes spirit form and climbs back into the train or something either way I'm gonna be sad to see cat?dog? go hah.

I don't think Eightfold can incarnate yet, she'd done so earlier in the day and she apparently takes a few days to recover.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
If being pulled into the spirit world is effortless, you'd think they would do it all the time during battles to teleport around the place.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ronya posted:

If being pulled into the spirit world is effortless, you'd think they would do it all the time during battles to teleport around the place.

Shhh you're ruining the future introduction of zwee fighting

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

ronya posted:

I suppose their are some negatives too it that we haven't observed yet. Plus we haven't actually seen anyone using it in battle and actually doing anything but talking to their spirit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Shhh you're ruining the future introduction of zwee fighting
poo poo. I may have to try actually punching and kicking.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I suppose their are some negatives too it that we haven't observed yet. Plus we haven't actually seen anyone using it in battle and actually doing anything but talking to their spirit.

One drawback is that while you are moving quickly, you exist in a different reality, one that has been shown to generally be a small room. So if you wanted to use superspeed to say walk twenty feet forward you would pretty much have to guess at the direction and walk forward in that room, hoping nothing is in your way in the real world

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

DreamShipWrecked posted:

One drawback is that while you are moving quickly, you exist in a different reality, one that has been shown to generally be a small room. So if you wanted to use superspeed to say walk twenty feet forward you would pretty much have to guess at the direction and walk forward in that room, hoping nothing is in your way in the real world

That appears to depend on the spirit. Isaac and Spender get strange internal rooms, but Max's spirit appears to just change the existing environment into a dystopic junk heap so we can't really say how Eightfold will affect the environment.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Unhappy Meal posted:

That appears to depend on the spirit. Isaac and Spender get strange internal rooms, but Max's spirit appears to just change the existing environment into a dystopic junk heap so we can't really say how Eightfold will affect the environment.

Actually, I take everything I said back. If you look closely at Issac's room you can see the shapes of Spender and Max, it's a tight room because they are inside a building. And Spender's is a huge hall, but Forge is present in it.

I guess you could move around, it probably just wouldn't be practical for combat because everything real turns to stone.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Am... am I caught up? poo poo, I'm caught up. That's another webcomic on the list of reading live.

I also decided to read along with the thread partway in (managed to be not too far past this thread's start, even!) and I'd like to point out something I didn't see anyone pick up on. Agent Walker Texas, "Has a day job as a cowboy or forest ranger or somethin' " according to the cast page. So, Walker Texas, Ranger.

Fake Edit: And then re-reading some of the earlier pages thanks to the cast page links finds a gem of a background gag on this page. The page as a whole also makes for a hell of a comparison of art styles against present pages.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Unhappy Meal posted:

I bet she transports Isabel to a library of every book she's eaten.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Being a spirit's medium causes your appearance to change accordingly. Zack has said that being Eightfold's medium would involve lots of peeling, papery skin along with a compulsion to eat books. Once the effects had fully take hold, Isabella would look a whole lot like a paper-munching mummy. So,yeah. Not a good idea.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sounds like Isaac got off easy. I wonder if he has worse to come than auto-gelling hair.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

MikeJF posted:

Sounds like Isaac got off easy. I wonder if he has worse to come than auto-gelling hair.
I heard that the longer the possession goes on, his hair becomes--

--harder to control shut uuuuuup

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

MikeJF posted:

I'm assuming Issacs spirit is really powerful, so the effects would take years to fully manifest.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Swirly nipples. That's pretty bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume the really freaky poo poo isn't visible to normal people.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

youcallthatatwist posted:

Swirly nipples. That's pretty bad.
Also the bit where his legs turn into clouds.

At least everything else below the waist appears to stay intact.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
boop

Eightfold continues to be the best.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Zero_Tactility posted:

boop

Eightfold continues to be the best.

This is about to get sad :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Eightfold knows too much to be as weak and unimportant as she lets on.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Today's alt text brought to you by Gigi.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That alt text is the pinnacle of silly crude hilarity :allears:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Eightfold knows too much to be as weak and unimportant as she lets on.

She's probably just as weak as she appears to be. On the other hand, who said intelligence/breadth of knowledge/importance had to correlate with power level?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 18, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RickoniX posted:

This is about to get sad :(

That's some solid emoting from an origami fortune teller in those last few frames.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
If Eightfold leaves or is killed I will be very sad. Eightfold is adorable and we need more Eightfold.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tollymain posted:

She's probably just as weak as she appears to be. On the other hand, who said intelligence/breadth of knowledge/importance had to correlate with power level?

Knowledge is power. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
drat it use your superspeed time more productively