Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Irish Joe posted:

:shrug: I guess I'm just from that weird generation of Americans where you didn't advertise your mental problems, physical deformities and medical history to the world.

Really because you sure post a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Irish Joe posted:

:shrug: I guess I'm just from that weird generation of Americans where you didn't advertise your mental problems

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576094&userid=121013

:confused:

e: Aw, beaten to the obvious dumb joke.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I've been watching a lot of Italian Spiderman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZ20wVpjYQ

The Italian club at college told me that I'm fashionable. They proudly call me "fascina." It makes me so happy to have such good friends.

Anyone know any good italian soap operas I could watch to learn the language?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ravane posted:

The Italian club at college told me that I'm fashionable. They proudly call me "fascina." It makes me so happy to have such good friends.

This would be funny if you hadn't had to work so hard to set it up

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rarity posted:

This would be funny if you hadn't had to work so hard to set it up

Yeah, well I don't have any real friends. Nobody ever likes my posts on facebook. Almost funny is as good as I can get. :negative:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Ravane posted:

Anyone know any good italian soap operas I could watch to learn the language?

L'Isola dei Famosi

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Is there a new rick n' morty / archer? I see no sticky.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OSG killed himself after he had to mod the GoT thread all by himself last night.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rick and Morty's season finale is tonight, yes. I don't know if he knows because there was some massive confusion with the scheduling of the last episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Was there only one episode of Mad Men last night? Normally they do a double episode launch, but I guess the shorter season changed that?

Also, has anyone else been completely dampened on the season because of the split format? And did the entire story really leak online?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

How do you even spoil mad men

Wait you're telling me don cheats on his wife? And he has flashbacks to Korea/ his difficult childhood? And he drinks and smokes and gets the big client, which is a company that no longer exists? poo poo!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Undeterred by AoS's continually tumbling ratings, ABC is considering giving a Peggy Carter series (that would star Hayley Atwell) a straight to series order.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What are you gonna tell me next, you loving dick? Pete is a douchebag and roger is completely useless? Peggy is competent but due to her gender is undervalued? Betty is a terrible, boring character and worse mother? gently caress!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They might start another agency?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Joramun posted:

L'Isola dei Famosi

This show has some of the lowest ratings I've ever seen. It's lower than Jersey Shore.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Ken gets poisoned at a wedding. Harry turns into a tree

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Mad Men has to be the most over-hyped boring rear end TV show I've ever seen. IN THIS SEASON OF MAD MEN... THEY GET DRUNK AND DEGRADE WOMEN.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Occupation posted:

How do you even spoil mad men

Wait you're telling me don cheats on his wife? And he has flashbacks to Korea/ his difficult childhood? And he drinks and smokes and gets the big client, which is a company that no longer exists? poo poo!

Isn't the main guy literally Armin Tamzarian? I think I watched enough of that boring dreck to remember that being a 100% serious plot point.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
fuckin character dramas always bein about characters and poo poo.

ROB A BANK OR SOMETHING, gently caress

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh man I wish azure were still here instead of being banned for being a rapist he'd swing in and autistically explain how mean were being to mad men and how it's actually perfect in every way and man breaking bad sure sucks huh

I do love mad men but the only thing that pisses me off about critical reaction is how nobody points out that season one was severely flawed and season 2 was actively bad since at least a full half of the season was devoted to Betty staring out of windows and wistfully sighing as she contemplated leaving don permanently. Critical reaction to mad men was exclusively focused on the final three episodes which were loving fantastic but ignored the stupid boring nonsense before it for the previous ten episodes. Like Betty and that terrible chick that don was banging or the super loving dull 'Peggy is catholic now' story or fuckin duck fuckin Phillips

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

fuckin character dramas always bein about characters and poo poo.

ROB A BANK OR SOMETHING, gently caress

I love mad men but it's not unfair to point out how so much of the show is very, very repetitive

I mean obviously a lot of it is weiner attempting to comment on the cyclical nature of these characters lives but when he goes off the deep end like he does in season 2 what you get is a whole bunch of nothing happening and the wheels desperately spinning

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Mad Men didn't become amazing until they solved/abandoned the mystery hooks (Who is Dick Whitman, What happened with Peggy between Season 1 and 2).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CPFortest posted:

Mad Men didn't become amazing until they solved/abandoned the mystery hooks (Who is Dick Whitman, What happened with Peggy between Season 1 and 2).

It also got a whole lot better when they dropped Betty from the show and drastically reduced Peggy's role. Don't get me wrong, Peggy's a great character, but she has one loving story arc repeated ad nauseam.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Occupation posted:

I love mad men but it's not unfair to point out how so much of the show is very, very repetitive

I mean obviously a lot of it is weiner attempting to comment on the cyclical nature of these characters lives but when he goes off the deep end like he does in season 2 what you get is a whole bunch of nothing happening and the wheels desperately spinning

dude season 2 is one of the best seasons outside of the Peggy religion plot. its probably only behind 4.

duck phillips seriously owned from his first episode where we get his straight answer to the nixon/kennedy question. jimmy barret was fantastic, the airline crash and their fucks-ups, and then the buyout at the end with Don having hosed around as usual in california totally missing it

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

I think the strength of Mad Men is simply the fact that Weiner is drat good at making these characters' daily lives beyond interesting, and not the fact that there's some mystery to be solved or a "current event" to react to.

This is why Seasons 1, 2, and 6 are definitely the show's weakest years.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Undeterred by its fine ratings which consistently slay the male 18-34 demo? ABC sure must have a death wish!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dude season 3 is the by far best season what are you smoking

Pryce is the all time best non don character on the show. Better than Joan, Peggy, Pete...

Duck loving sucks and is only eclipsed in badness by Betty who is both a terrible character and is poorly acted by someone who clearly doesn't want to be on the show

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

At this point betty is a massive albatross around mm's neck since jj is a bad actress, legendarily difficult to work with, and she do very clearly doesn't want to be there

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hannibal continues to be the best show on television, goddamn.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Pryce is better but duck owns. Not that he's actually great; I mean owns for his role, we're meant to dislike him and watch/want his fall and he does a great job in that role. The whole America Airlines fiasco was great with him pushing to drop mohawk and getting Pete to try and sell them on the idea with his dad dying on the flight.

Most of the Hilton stuff and whatshisface Betty's new husband drag down season 3 for me a lot. No disagreement about January jones though, series wide problem with so few moments that work in her favor.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

January Jones is the only actor on the show I recall bitching about how little they get paid. At least in interviews.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well that's the thing exec, when you say you love season 2 and it's the best in the series how are you forgetting that a literal full half of the season was spent on Betty literally doing NOTHING. She does NOTHING until the very end of the season. Also the times when you're not focusing on Betty you're focusing on Bobbie, who was a bad bad BAD character. The whole point of why dons womanizing is sympathetic to the audience is is he cheats on Betty with someone who is somehow both better than Betty and is better than don. He cheats to seek the sort of enlightenment, whether physical, emotional, spiritual, or artistic that he doesn't receive at home. The entire facade of the womanizing falls apart when don cheats on Betty with someone more loathsome than he either himself or Betty. It didn't help that she had literally no redeemable qualities beyond being moderately intelligent

Jimmy Barrett being great (his scene with Betty might be one of the only good ones in season 2, in my mind) to me doesn't counteract Betty's horse adventures in staring out of windows or Bobbie goddamn Barrett

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Yeah but in Season 2, Betty had sex with Captain Awesome during the Cuban Missile Crisis which was hilarious.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Occupation posted:

At this point betty is a massive albatross around mm's neck since jj is a bad actress, legendarily difficult to work with, and she do very clearly doesn't want to be there

Yeah but they put her in a fat suit so that's gotta count for something.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Betty is definitely the weakest link in the Mad Men cast but they always do hilarious poo poo with her so it's hard to complain too much.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

soapgish posted:

Undeterred by its fine ratings which consistently slay the male 18-34 demo? ABC sure must have a death wish!

It hit a 1.9 in the 18-49 demo last week, and has been trending downward over time. It's performing well enough to keep going, but let's not act like it's a megahit here.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
Anyone know anything about Metal Hurlant Chronicles, apart from what has been advertised on Syfy?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

quote:

Mad Men is an American television drama about an advertising agency...

Not interesting.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Occupation posted:

Well that's the thing exec, when you say you love season 2 and it's the best in the series how are you forgetting that a literal full half of the season was spent on Betty literally doing NOTHING. She does NOTHING until the very end of the season. Also the times when you're not focusing on Betty you're focusing on Bobbie....

I'll go ahead and admit its been a long time since I've seen the show, but I'm quite certain your perception of how much time was devoted to each plotline is very very skewed there. Also I didn't mind Bobbie Barret either, and a lot of what you said about her reads to me as a strong argument for the season instead of against. :shrug:

edit - to elaborate on what I said earlier, when I think back to that season the only thing that stands out to me as unenjoyable was the Peggy catholocism plotline and that even had its moments with her feuding sister/mother (it was mostly her attraction to Colin Hanks that were uninteresting, I liked the bits with her trying to assert her identity with the fight over creative control on the church flier and arguing with them like advertising clients), I legitimately didn't mind the minor horse riding subplot with Betty vicariously living out her own desire for the affair through her friend then turning on her when she actually does it.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Is anyone keeping up with Believe? I think it's gotten much better since the pilot.

• Locked thread