Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well. First crash out of the way. 60mph low side. Pics and I think I have it on video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

Well. First crash out of the way. 60mph low side. Pics and I think I have it on video.

At the track this weekend? :(

Better there than elsewhere though...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah. Chasing a guy on an 09 zx6r for four or five laps, he takes a tight line too hot through a corner I setup wide for, lost the front while trying to scrub speed.

Tumbled and trashed my Arai - head is pretty sore and have a little bit of a headache. I'm fine otherwise. 750 needs new plastics, bar end, grip, and that's about it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 22, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, my GoPro is a piece of loving poo poo and didn't record poo poo all day except for the first ~7 mins of the time from when I started recording each session. I crashed maybe 15 minutes into the 5th session of the day in A group - had been dogfighting with a dude on a supersport build 09 ZX6R for five or six laps and was kinda hanging back just enjoying everything even though I knew I could pass him and make it stick. Came into turn 1 at AMP with a line setup wide - zx6r took the line that most literbikes take which is entering the corner on the inside of the track and firing it out... seemed like he came in hot and I was rolling up on him quick so I guess I pushed the trail braking a little too hard and lost the front. Probably 60-65mph.

loving smashed the poo poo out of the back of my head.

Well, the thing is rideable and I have tomorrow paid for but I am feeling pretty slow, have a headache, and some other poo poo.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 23, 2014

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
That sucks dude. :( What model GoPro, by the way?

If you have a headache and feel slow after bashing your head, I would think a trip to the hospital might be advisable?

EDIT: I see you edited your post. Yeah, I'd suspect you do have a concussion and should be getting checked out.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 23, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
An original Hero - it's pretty old. Yeah dude, I'm pretty sure I have a concussion. Derp.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BlackMK4 posted:

An original Hero - it's pretty old. Yeah dude, I'm pretty sure I have a concussion. Derp.

You're one of the very few people who actually got Obamacare, use it

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Glad you're (relatively) ok.... thanks for posting the gear pics. What kind of suit is that?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
xaarman, I believe it's an alpinestars suit. You're welcome. :)

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah for real MK4, go get it checked out. Unless you want to have a friend stay up all night waking you up every hour or so to make sure you ain't dead, like I did for a buddy when we were young and retarded.

Not trying to be a prying dick, but IIRC it was you awhile back who was dealing with some lovely breakup thang? I understand because I was there a couple years ago, and it's easy to be reckless/devil-may-care (I try to forget the stuff I did) but life rules now and man am I glad I didn't gently caress myself over. Don't play with your health son!
:cop:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, the thing is rideable and I have tomorrow paid for but I am feeling pretty slow, have a headache, and some other poo poo.
Whether you go to a doctor or not is up to you, but you are an absolute idiot if you ride again or do anything else where a head injury is likely immediately after a suspected concussion. Concussions are no joke, especially during the immediately following hours/days.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

ManicJason posted:

Whether you go to a doctor or not is up to you, but you are an absolute idiot if you ride again or do anything else where a head injury is likely immediately after a suspected concussion. Concussions are no joke, especially during the immediately following hours/days.

To be fair, tomorrow is already paid for...

nsaP posted:

xaarman, I believe it's an alpinestars suit. You're welcome. :)

THANKS NSAP

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thanks guys, I'm good. :) Skipping tomorrow, unfortunately.

Snowdens Secret posted:

:v:

xaarman posted:

Glad you're (relatively) ok.... thanks for posting the gear pics. What kind of suit is that?

Alpinestars Octane that I bought new in 09.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah for real MK4, go get it checked out. Unless you want to have a friend stay up all night waking you up every hour or so to make sure you ain't dead, like I did for a buddy when we were young and retarded.

Not trying to be a prying dick, but IIRC it was you awhile back who was dealing with some lovely breakup thang? I understand because I was there a couple years ago, and it's easy to be reckless/devil-may-care (I try to forget the stuff I did) but life rules now and man am I glad I didn't gently caress myself over. Don't play with your health son!
:cop:
Yeah, that was me. I'm far better now - and better than I ever have been. :)

ManicJason posted:

Yeahhhhh.... after reflecting on how disoriented I actually was for about an hour afterwards I have no idea how the medics I walked up to and asked for Tylenol just let me go. This all said and done, I really want to give racing a try.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
You're going to the hospital, right dude?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, seriously, get yourself scanned. Head injury is no thing to gently caress with.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm hanging out with a friend who is a trauma nurse for the night. I'll see how I feel in the morning but I'm alright now.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I don't understand why folks will buy gear to help prevent getting hurt yet refuse to see a doctor immediately to make sure they aren't hurt.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Suit held up well.

That does look like a nasty shot to the head though. :(

Did you just grab too much brake at once?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm hanging out with a friend who is a trauma nurse for the night. I'll see how I feel in the morning but I'm alright now.

why in gods green earth would you do that

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I don't understand why folks will buy gear to help prevent getting hurt yet refuse to see a doctor immediately to make sure they aren't hurt.

I think it might have something to do with US Healthcare.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeahhhhh.... after reflecting on how disoriented I actually was for about an hour afterwards I have no idea how the medics I walked up to and asked for Tylenol just let me go. This all said and done, I really want to give racing a try.

LOL reading this after reading your story tells me you definitely have a concussion. "I was riding like a badass, coulda passed this dude any time but then HE made a mistake and I crashed. Got myself a concussion but I think I want to race."

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Motsew posted:

I think it might have something to do with US Healthcare.

US healthcare is a one-way ticket to bankruptcy. I can sympathize with not wanting to go to the hospital right away, as a fellow American, but head injuries are seriously no joke.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
e: nothing to see here

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 23, 2014

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Wulframn posted:

US healthcare is a one-way ticket to bankruptcy. I can sympathize with not wanting to go to the hospital right away, as a fellow American, but head injuries are seriously no joke.

That's why despite its flaws, I love my NHS. With my accident, a fast response Ambulance unit turned up followed by the standard Ambulance. In Hospital, I was attended by probably close to a dozen hospital staff, numerous CT scans/X-Ray's etc... and I didn't pay a single penny. I can't imagine how many tens of thousands of dollars it would cost in the US.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If you have pretty good insurance, it probably would have cost only around $2k - $4k.

Not that that's good, but it's not going to put most people in the poor house.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

In my experience, for a mild concussion the ED will pretty much just look into your eyes to make sure your pupils are working properly and talk to you a bit to see exactly how much sense got knocked out of you. If you're showing signs of a serious trauma then you will get stuck in a CAT scan machine and whatever else they feel is needed. Otherwise they give you some mega Tylenol and have you lay in an uncomfortable bed for a night.

If he feels ok and a trauma nurse agrees then he's probably ok.

Also, gently caress GoPros. I have a Hero 3 that likes to randomly save and not save at it's own discretion. I use it every day on my commute but the one time I tried to review a video I found my morning commute and about 5 minutes of my ride home then nothing new. My last track day it saved NOTHING.
My $50 G1W chinacam does a gently caress load better than that piece of poo poo.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 23, 2014

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Bugdrvr posted:

Also, gently caress GoPros. I have a Hero 3 that likes to randomly save and not save at it's own discretion. I use it every day on my commute but the one time I tried to review a video I found my morning commute and about 5 minutes of my ride home then nothing new. My last track day it saved NOTHING.
My $50 G1W chinacam does a gently caress load better than that piece of poo poo.

I have a contour+2 that is money seriously well spent. I bought a display model from a store and it had issues similar to what you're describing. I contacted customer support and they had me send it to them before shipping me a brand new one. The brand new one has never given me any issues whatsoever and I got a spare battery, waterproof case, upload cord, carry pouch and all that other stuff. Plus the thing is a tank.

It's a shame they lost out to GoPro.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What brand of SD card are you using? Besides my GoPro having some kind of sensor failure, most of my early issues with it were due to a cheap SD card. That or ID-10-T errors. I had some times where my 'gopro didn't record' but in it's defense, I didn't start it recording, I took a picture or something instead.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah I read a lot online before I bought my SD cards and bad ones can cause many issues. I paid $40/ea for 2x32gig high speed chips. Hero3black supports 64gig but people often run into problems.

I've recorded in the heat in the desert and cold mornings on the bike. I've held it underwater and dropped and slammed it against all manner of materials. It's done hour-long timelapses in fog and campfire smoke. Never missed a beat, unless I hosed up and pressed record in the wrong mode or whatever. I've been extremely impressed so far.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

LOL reading this after reading your story tells me you definitely have a concussion. "I was riding like a badass, coulda passed this dude any time but then HE made a mistake and I crashed. Got myself a concussion but I think I want to race."
It was definitely me that made the mistake leading to eating poo poo :) But really... more track time in the future. Just not for a couple of months.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I had thought about coming out to the track and watching too, at least you were on the track when it happened. Really though I hope you make a speedy recovery and sorry to hear about your bike/gear/dome.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've used several different cards. The latest one is a Sandisk class 3 I think. Only 15GB so it should be fine.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Cross post from the dirt thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbpIBAEr9_I

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I feel like the only videos you post are crash vids, and for that I respect your superhuman body.

Everything OK?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

SaNChEzZ posted:

I feel like the only videos you post are crash vids, and for that I respect your superhuman body.

Everything OK?

That's just how all my videos turn out. My right knee has swollen to superhuman proportions, and I'm pretty sore around my everywhere.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

I'll find out a week tomorrow (11th) whether my collarbone will need to be re-broken and pinned to straighten it out (Doctor said there's a chance this will need to happen). In the meantime I've bought another z750 to replace the one I wrecked. It's an '07 with 9000 miles on the clock and I sniped it off ebay for £2210.25 and as long as it checks out when I go to inspect it with my cousin tomorrow is a steal.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I'll post a full crash report later this week, but is it normal for doctors (Orthopedic if it matters) to see you if you don't have an open automotive insurance claim? I have full medical and automotive coverage, and was hoping to not have to open an auto claim so my insurance doesn't go up, but now it looks like I may have to.

VVV Thanks for the quick reply bro.

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 8, 2014

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

McLarenF1 posted:

I'll post a full crash report later this week, but is it normal for doctors (Orthopedic if it matters) to see you if you don't have an open automotive insurance claim? I have full medical and automotive coverage, and was hoping to not have to open an auto claim so my insurance doesn't go up, but now it looks like I may have to.

Not abnormal. In some states, hospitals and medical providers have a right to full reimbursement if the injuries were the result of a collision AND there was an insurance claim filed. If it was a single vehicle accident, you can just tell them that no insurance claim was opened and it should be just fine. Well, at least it was for me. YMMV.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
I think I used up all my luck for the year today.

I had a friend who wanted a sportbike and I decided I wanted to go back to cruiserland, so I picked up his 2005 V Star 650 Silverado and started driving it. Not two days have passed, and I ended up caught out in a thunderstorm on my way home from work.

For some reason, I thought it'd be a good idea to get off the highway and take the frontage. Not five miles after getting off the highway I hit a huge puddle of water and hydroplaned. Got thrown off the bike at roughly 45-50 MPH

Blue jeans, helmet, jacket and gloves with Doc Marten boots. Got off with no rash and swelling with no fracture on my left kneecap. The bike is still able to drive, but the lever for the gearbox seems to get jammed when shifting from 1st to second. 2nd on up and down shifting is fine but it gets caught in neutral if you try to shift from 1st to 2nd.

The blinkers on the left side are also utterly wrecked and pretty much nonexistent. Most of the paint and chrome is intact thanks to some frame sliders.

I think I'm not allowed to take any risks ever again after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think part of the issue is that you were driving the bike instead of riding it :v:

Honestly, that sounds like a pretty poo poo situation. I have two questions: why were you not wearing slightly more adequate gear, and how did you not see a gigantic puddle that hydroplaned your bike? I'm assuming you were riding in a straight line; if you were doing 50mph in the drowning rain on a twisty road on a v-star then god help you.

• Locked thread