Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Dominic White posted:

There's been a shitload of restored content in the last ten or so patches, including adding character animations for every active power, and most recently sweetFX integration and an included toolset. Because I've got nothing better to do in the next 10 minutes, here's the changes since the last CQM build was released, in alphabetical order and split by Plus/Regular features:

+Added a ton of poo poo

Well goddamnit, I've been on the verge of doing another CQM playthrough, but a lot of this stuff sounds pretty good, especially the animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I think Bloodlines has picked up a reputation as an under-appreciated classic over the years thanks to people talking about it and Let's Playing it online.

There's the Snakes on a Plane problem though. Will the internet hype actually deliver?

It kinda did with Deus Ex: HR, so maybe. But I'm skeptical.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Crindee posted:

Well goddamnit, I've been on the verge of doing another CQM playthrough, but a lot of this stuff sounds pretty good, especially the animations.

They need to update CQM. It's long overdue.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Patch notes induced spoiler questions!

You can find Ash at Leopold? Is that if you don't do his quest?

What's with the werewolf laptop? I found it and got in, but didn't understand it other than it referenced the observatory fight.

What's the easter egg ending and is that CQM-only? I've never even heard of it.

I feel like a bad Bloodlines fan. I've beaten the game only five times and I also still have these questions.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Patch notes induced spoiler questions!

You can find Ash at Leopold? Is that if you don't do his quest?

What's with the werewolf laptop? I found it and got in, but didn't understand it other than it referenced the observatory fight.

What's the easter egg ending and is that CQM-only? I've never even heard of it.

I feel like a bad Bloodlines fan. I've beaten the game only five times and I also still have these questions.

I saved Ash (both methods) and he still showed up at Leopold. Incompetent gently caress.

From what I can tell, after accessing the laptop, you need to open and close a door a bunch of times and then a giant dancing werewolf will spawn outside the courtyard of the Luckee Star.

Never heard of the Easter Egg ending.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'd place Deus Ex on a different level of "cult classic" than VtMB. The latter is still largely unappreciated while the latter was a modest success but still lauded as one of the (if not the) best games ever made. Plusit had the good fortune of being picked up by Squeenix, a mid-size publisher willing to take risks on reviving well-regarded Eidos properties. That's a pretty rare thing.

Personally I'd wager that nothing will be done with it, the second likely option being that they license it to a small and new-ish company for a Kickstarter. Beyond the fact that they've likely already settled on their next KS project, a visible and accomplished company like Obsidian is better served by creating their own IP and not splitting profits. Beyond that there's the possibility that a foolhardy boutique publisher like Paradox could license the property. But WoD's star has fallen enough in general that I'm skeptical they could pull together the millions needed to make a game as robust as Bloodlines.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If CCP saw enough potential to fund a 75 person team for 6 years I imagine the market is there. It might be more of a generic vampire fan market than WoD specific, but Vampires as a theme in media are pretty popular, while simultaneously pretty under-represented in gaming. What was the last vampire game that came out? Dark was dogshit. Before that I can't remember. One of the old Bloodrayne games or something? A Castlevania game?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The sequel to Castlevania: Lords of Darkness came out not too long ago, but I haven't heard anything about it so I can generally assume it did nothing amazing.

It's just gothic-themed God of War, really.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h16QzAkChMg

Easter Egg ending with stupid guy voiceover.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Oberleutnant posted:

If CCP saw enough potential to fund a 75 person team for 6 years I imagine the market is there. It might be more of a generic vampire fan market than WoD specific, but Vampires as a theme in media are pretty popular, while simultaneously pretty under-represented in gaming. What was the last vampire game that came out? Dark was dogshit. Before that I can't remember. One of the old Bloodrayne games or something? A Castlevania game?

The market's definitely there. CCP just overstretched with a bunch of lovely side projects to their main money maker, alienating a bunch of customers and eventually blowing hideous amounts on money on financially useless poo poo like Dust. Which, as a side note, is completely underwhelming and lacks a decent long term market since it's console only.

TL;DR: A WoD MMO could work. But not when the license holders are taking the "hookers and blow" approach to game development. The cancellation is more the fault of CCP being idiots and mismanaging their properties, and less the fault of there being a lack of a market for a game like that. They've supposedly been scaling back for awhile as a result of the many stupid decisions they made.

Shame too, since a social MMO like that would have been neat. Especially if they let you play as hunters. That way you could teach all the horrible pubbie vampire roleplayers to fear the night. :unsmigghh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 14, 2014

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Considering the only other Vampire RPG-thing afoot lately, at least as far as I know, is this weird BloodLust: Shadowhunter

http://www.lasthalfofdarkness.com/bloodlust/

I'd have to think there's definitely a gap for this, but there's no telling. I mean, I thought for sure the Ars Magica folks would just get with somebody else from a wide pool of talented places after their First Generation Kickstarter was one of the relatively few to actually not make it...and yet...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Fuzz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h16QzAkChMg

Easter Egg ending with stupid guy voiceover.

The new cannonical ending to me.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Oberleutnant posted:

CCP did see potential in it (hence why they bought the company), but after Incarna fell flat and threatened their core moneymaker they lost interest. Dust pulled any energy and oxygen away from it; had Dust been successful that might have changed things, but...

Mostly the development was spurred by a contractual requirement to develop a WoD MMO from the acquisition of White Wolf.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Apparently Obsidian was going to make a WoD game before CCP bought WW.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

OAquinas posted:

CCP did see potential in it (hence why they bought the company), but after Incarna fell flat and threatened their core moneymaker they lost interest. Dust pulled any energy and oxygen away from it; had Dust been successful that might have changed things, but...

Mostly the development was spurred by a contractual requirement to develop a WoD MMO from the acquisition of White Wolf.

Dust was never going to be successful though. It's a pretty mediocre console MMO with a planned PC release whenever they can scrape together the money to get it out on the real money making platform. Even the few successful console MMO's have mostly been cross platform to make use of that wider market. Take FFXI for example.

Never mind that the current generation of consoles are on their way out. Which presents the issue of needing to update to a new platform to maintain a base of consumers. So that's probably going to be more money going down the tube in the future.

Really, the WoD MMO could have been successful, but CCP has made some mind numbingly stupid decisions over the past few years. So maybe it's for the best that it was canceled.

I didn't know about the contractual requirement to design a WoD MMO though. Where does that leave CCP now with that?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 15, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Archonex posted:

I didn't know about the contractual requirement to design a WoD MMO though. Where does that leave CCP now with that?

Depends on the wording and the principals. Likely CCP did the calculus late last year and figured they could divest themselves/eat the penalty (if any) around now. One comment was a bit suspiciously on the nose--if a company has over 100 employees, notice has to be given before a mass layoff. CCP laid off just enough employees before Christmas to drop Atlanta down to 99 people.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/

On sale for 48 hours. $5.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

Dust was a sweetheart deal with Sony, but it's been a very rocky process. They know, currently, that there is several trillion isk waiting to drop onto the consoles, and that the corporations will both steamroller and dominate Dust as soon as the economies are linked.

It's glorious to watch. Almost as glorious at the shitstorm that greeted Incarna, mainly because people had been talking for a long time on how they played a spaceships game for spaceships, not dressing up in deserted stations; monocle-gate was just the icing on some loving awful PR work that had 'Marine Tank' Hilmar comparing ingame DLC with designer jeans. Unfortunately, this ingame content was supposed to bridge Atlanta until they could produce the dressups for WoD

WoD never became more than the tech demo that was supposed to usher in their first person offerings; there was never any serious conversation about how the mechanics would work, or anything to do with gameplay. After Incarna's blowup, it became apparent that the whole things was a dead development walking. Which is a shame, because I think WoD (pre-requiem) is a pretty rich source set.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'd love to download the latest Unofficial Patch but too bad the author insists on only uploading it to the slowest German file hosting site ever.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Sorry for the double posting and crossposting.

For anyone else looking for a way to download the Unofficial 8.9 patch for Vampires Bloodlines, here's a rehosted mirror found via the Steam forums:

http://depositfiles.com/files/8qga4swpv

CAVEAT: Am currently downloading this right now, have not checked it for virus etc.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

S.T.A.L.K.E.R taught me how awesome buggy underrated games can be, so why not. Here goes the cost of lunch~

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Avocados posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R taught me how awesome buggy underrated games can be, so why not. Here goes the cost of lunch~

It's not buggy, as long as you download the patches for it.

Newbie advice: in the beginning of the game, the guns you find will be useless, especially as your weapon skill will be low. You'll find melee weapons, which will actually do less damage than your fists. You might as well just punch things, until later on when you get better weapons and your skills are upgraded.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
A few points in Brawl will also significantly improve your ability to feed in combat, which is a huge tactic against humans (i.e. like 90% of the enemies you will fight).

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I mean, Bloodlines didn't really do all that well, but it was better than the other junk and still has a cult following today.

Bloodlines sales was a case of bad timing more than anything though. It came out the day after World of Warcraft, the same day as Half-Life 2, and the day before a new Final Fantasy game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Otoh, it looked like half-finished rear end when it came out and it still does today. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if a whole lot of people turned the game off when the Sheriff summons wolves and they bug out horribly. That's kind of Troika in a nutshell, good games in spite of themselves.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Imagine my surprise when I check the Steam best-sellers list and see this game near the top. I'm half tempted to reinstall it and see how much has been added or fixed with the fan patches.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

I'd love to download the latest Unofficial Patch but too bad the author insists on only uploading it to the slowest German file hosting site ever.

It's actually not so bad usually. At the time of writing the site is very responsive and the download time isn't too bad. I think the server was getting hammered due to the sale.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Okay, so, after reinstalling and redownloading this game four times trying to get the various patches working, I think that the second post should be updated.

CQM no longer requires you to install to the \Vampire folder. However, it will not assume that you have a 64-bit install of windows, so its default installation directory will install to ...\Program Files\..., rather than ...\Program Files (x86)\...

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm replaying with that 8.9 patch and I am consistently blown away by the animations. Maybe it's been a while since I played this old game but I don't remember them being that good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Anybody got a mirror or something for the Wesp patch? The download's been running like absolute crap every time I try.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

Anybody got a mirror or something for the Wesp patch? The download's been running like absolute crap every time I try.

moot the hopple posted:

Sorry for the double posting and crossposting.

For anyone else looking for a way to download the Unofficial 8.9 patch for Vampires Bloodlines, here's a rehosted mirror found via the Steam forums:

http://depositfiles.com/files/8qga4swpv

CAVEAT: Am currently downloading this right now, have not checked it for virus etc.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

there is one about six posts up

edit: nevermind

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm replaying with that 8.9 patch and I am consistently blown away by the animations. Maybe it's been a while since I played this old game but I don't remember them being that good.

In my opinion the animations are this game's single greatest asset. Every character in a conversation feels like a unique individual and you can tell their personality and mood with the sound turned off, that's a real accomplishment.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

In my opinion the animations are this game's single greatest asset. Every character in a conversation feels like a unique individual and you can tell their personality and mood with the sound turned off, that's a real accomplishment.

I think that's why people keep re-installing it. No game since has come close in terms of detail and precision of acting. Lots of games have better combat, more in-depth levelling, heck, even the story's not particularly special. But it feels like every line of dialogue has its own action set accompanying it.

I finally got the ENB series mod working with it and it looks pretty much like a modern indie title. I got the game for the first time about ten friggin' years ago, and I still giggled like a loon when Jack did his "Uh... shortcut!" line.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So I hosed up and I think I installed the wrong fan patch. Is it too late to go back and do I need a clean install for the one listed in the thread?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Somfin posted:

I think that's why people keep re-installing it. No game since has come close in terms of detail and precision of acting. Lots of games have better combat, more in-depth levelling, heck, even the story's not particularly special. But it feels like every line of dialogue has its own action set accompanying it.

I finally got the ENB series mod working with it and it looks pretty much like a modern indie title. I got the game for the first time about ten friggin' years ago, and I still giggled like a loon when Jack did his "Uh... shortcut!" line.

Half Life 2 has an equal amount of character articulation, for obvious reasons. It's quite sad / shocking how stiff most game mans of today look compared to these relatively old releases.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So what's wrong with playing Clan Quest Mod on my first playthrough exactly?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dexters Secret posted:

So what's wrong with playing Clan Quest Mod on my first playthrough exactly?

Nothing really. I played through my first time with Clan Quest Mod. I think upon playing with the unofficial mod and nothing else that Clan Quest Mods changes are pretty jarring.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Every time I start up another playthrough, I remember all over again that Jack is one of the coolest game characters ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

In the tabletop game he's not terribly prominent, but he's an Anarch legend that nobody in their right mind fucks with.

• Locked thread