Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

WickedHate posted:

Oh, drat. I really hope it's still Polnareff in the Crunchyroll subs.

When it was announced the game was getting localized it also leaked the anime localization, and that the names would stay the same between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chibs posted:

When it was announced the game was getting localized it was also leaked the anime localization, and that the names would stay the same between them.

The more time goes on, the more it becomes obvious that the person who reported this was mistaken or the person who told them this flat out lied. We still have no word on who is actually handling the anime and it's been half a year since we heard this and I'm sure it was also reported Araki was working with them on the names. That too is also probably false, because Araki did the same thing with Viz Media in the localization of the Part 3 manga and the names are still music references.

So either someone is lying here or the company that got the anime made some unfortunate name choices.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well Deadly Queen and all.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Maybe it's because santana is around for two episodes then is lost to time in a UV light chamber while speedwagon is there for 9+ episodes and is way more important?

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Chibs posted:

When it was announced the game was getting localized it also leaked the anime localization, and that the names would stay the same between them.

The disparity between San Tan and Santviento seems to discredit this.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

The Steak Justice posted:

The disparity between San Tan and Santviento seems to discredit this.

Oh, whoops!

Rothgil
May 12, 2008
The pillar men also kinda got renamed to Kars, Wammu, and Elsideesi

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Rothgil posted:

The pillar men also kinda got renamed to Kars, Wammu, and Elsideesi

Kars, Wamuu, and Esidisi are the official names, as approved by the man himself and have been for a while. So that particular comparison is pointless.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Uznare posted:

Kars, Wamuu, and Esidisi are the official names, as approved by the man himself and have been for a while. So that particular comparison is pointless.

Yeah, even their Japanese names are spelled differently in katakana than the bands' names.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Speaking of localizations and all I'm kinda glad the game, or the demo at least, kept the Japanese voices. Now if only I could beat advol...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I too am glad Namco Bandai sunk as little money into the localization as they possibly could.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of localizations and all I'm kinda glad the game, or the demo at least, kept the Japanese voices. Now if only I could beat advol...

All-Star Battle has a shitload of characters saying a shitload of dialogue. Do you really think they're gonna go to the time and expense of dubbing all that voice acting for such a niche product?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The idea that they would've gotten rid of the Japanese voices anyways is silly. From what I've seen they usually keep the JP voices as an option, so that should never have been a concern for anyone unless the mere existence of a dub offends you.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Imagine Jonathan with shaved eyebrows."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

The idea that they would've gotten rid of the Japanese voices anyways is silly. From what I've seen they usually keep the JP voices as an option, so that should never have been a concern for anyone unless the mere existence of a dub offends you.

At least your fighting game has subtitles explaining what characters are saying. For half a decade I've been trying to figure out what anyone in Guilty Gear is saying during a fight.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All you need to know is Gun Flame.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

All you need to know is Gun Flame.

BUNNY PRINGLES

BUNNY REVOLVAH

To say nothing of Chipp Zanuff whose lines (pre-Accent Core) are a Japanese impression of a weeaboo American trying to speak Japanese without knowing how.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just gonna leave this here if anyone wants a grumpy Avdol title.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Brought To You By posted:

At least your fighting game has subtitles explaining what characters are saying. For half a decade I've been trying to figure out what anyone in Guilty Gear is saying during a fight.

Girlfriend and coconuts.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Uznare posted:

So is Diamond is not Crash, although I like that better than Diamond is Unbreakable anyway.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Meme Emulator posted:

So is Diamond is not Crash, although I like that better than Diamond is Unbreakable anyway.

Diamond is Not Crash is not the official name anymore, since All Star Battle released in Japan I believe. It's Diamond Is Unbreakable now.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Uznare posted:

Yeah but given all of Jojo's names is song or singer/band references accepting Esidisi over ACDC is dumb no matter how official the former is over the latter.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

YF-23 posted:

Yeah but given all of Jojo's names is song or singer/band references accepting Esidisi over ACDC is dumb no matter how official the former is over the latter.

Esidisi looks like an actual name.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

YF-23 posted:

Esidisi is still a reference to AC/DC, the same way Zeppeli is a reference to Led Zeppelin, even though the character is not called "William Led Zeppelin". Same thing for Straizo.

It's not dumb, it's a more subtle reference.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 15, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's about as subtle as a brick, but they're more lawyer friendly and still generally keep the spirit of the names. It's why I donMt mind changes like Blueford, Shining Diamond, and Enyaba, because they are still keeping the goofy naming scheme that makes this series even more fun than it already is.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Orgia Carnaval posted:

It's why I donMt mind changes like Blueford, Shining Diamond, and Enyaba

Those are changes made for copyright reasons, though, not the official unchanged names like Zeppeli, Esidesi etc...

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

YF-23 posted:

To be clear, Araki did not name Esidisi AC/DC in the manga either. The katakana is different for his name than the band. Same with Wammu. Kars is Cars though.

And there's lots of characters that are slightly different from their namesakes, and not all of them are musical (though most are). So get over it, there's no hallowed rule to JoJo names. It's a bummer that some are being changed, like Santana, but a lot of them are still the same, and it's better than JoJo not coming to us at all.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 15, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurtofan posted:

Those are changes made for copyright reasons, though, not the official unchanged names like Zeppeli, Esidesi etc...

Oh no I know about those, I'm specifically referring to the copyright name changes when I talk about the name changes being good. Like I know Esidisi, Wamuu, Kars, Avdol, Ermes, etc. etc. are all the actual names. I'm just saying some of the copyright name changes are actually alright.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 15, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

hoobajoo posted:

it's better than JoJo not coming to us at all.

This is it exactly. Everybody who cares already knows what the names are supposed to be.

Give it a year and the names like Zipper Man and Li'l Bomber will be endearing just like duwang.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Hell we know the original names and what it references anyway. It doesn't really matter

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why doesn't Josuke run a repair shop?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

amuayse posted:

Why doesn't Josuke run a repair shop?

"I found one of your stupid hairs in my VCR!"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

LvK posted:

"I found one of your stupid hairs in my VCR!"

Imagine the phonecall.

"Hey, you might want to keep on the lookout for the next hour or so."

"Why?"

"You didn't properly clean your load belt and your VCR may or may not be flying towards your head right now."

"Isn't your job to fix and clean my-*WHAM*"

"... don't worry about the bill."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Brought To You By posted:

Imagine the phonecall.

"Hey, you might want to keep on the lookout for the next hour or so."

"Why?"

"You didn't properly clean your load belt and your VCR may or may not be flying towards your head right now."

"Isn't your job to fix and clean my-*WHAM*"

"... don't worry about the bill."

That wouldn't be Giorno's gig?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Giorno already has a job as a mafia boss.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Giorno already has a job as a mafia boss.

He could always run a repair shop on the side :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Giorno died on the way back to his home planet.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Giorno died on the way back to his home planet Florida.

Such an odd typo.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He could always run a repair shop on the side :v:

Mob needs a front.

Speaking of Passione, once Giorno got them out of the drug racket, what do you think they did? Protection racket from "rogue" stand users?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

onepixeljumpman posted:

Mob needs a front.

Speaking of Passione, once Giorno got them out of the drug racket, what do you think they did? Protection racket from "rogue" stand users?

Pizza.

Just making so much pizza.

• Locked thread