Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

And when was the last time Wand submitted someone?

Checked his record, the answer is 14 years ago.

OK that's a pretty good point you have there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Wandy is a cool fighter but him beating Chael, or even fighting him at this point, would be a monumental surprise and is pretty much the kind of poo poo PSP lives for.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

MycroftXXX posted:

^Wanderlei doesn't submit people though except for almost Bisping that one time.

Can someone post the .gif of the guillotine attempt where he's screaming and it looks like Wand's jaw is going to detach from his skull like some creature from the thing? Because it's probably the coolest thing he's done in the last 4 years along with breaking Cung Le's nose.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Wandy isn't even a cool fighter.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

He's a big drunken baby so there's that

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
So was my favorite TUF guest coach. Wandy has entertaining fights, they're bad for him but they're fun to watch and I appreciate someone going out with the intention of putting on a show.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Wandy can knock Chael out? Quick name everyone who has knocked Chael out cold!

I need a Chael Av. Preferable him during the confrontation with crossed arms saying, "This is actually helping." Or when he said in mid double leg, "fuckin' Wanderlei"

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Senjuro posted:

Can someone fill me in as to why everyone is convinced Wanderlei is no match for Chael? The only Wanderlei fight I've seen is against Brian Stann but if nothing else, he at least looked like he's quite capable of knocking Chael out. Meanwhile Sonnen can't use TRT anymore and his last and only win in a long time has been against a way past his prime Shogun.

Wanderlei fights best when it's a brawl and Chael's spent his entire career learning how to avoid those.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Captain Log posted:

I need a Chael Av. Preferable him during the confrontation with crossed arms saying, "This is actually helping." Or when he said in mid double leg, "fuckin' Wanderlei"

Pretty confident that people said they DON'T think that Wandy can put Chael completely out.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fine so TKO instead of KO.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Captain Log posted:

you don't have to knock somebody out cold to beat them, it turns out

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
wanderlei's guard is almost exclusively wrist control and hand holding.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
also we literally already saw how the fight would exactly go only minus the Dida sucker punches

e: although Chael won't get to wear sandals this time

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Wanderlei was in Vibrams which was also funny.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Maybe if we allowed flip flops and made board shorts compulsory Arona would come back?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Lloyd Boner posted:

On that note, Jack Slack wrote a breakdown of the fight and why Big Nog was going to eat those right hands even if he wasn't at the end of his career.
Not sure why I should be shocked that Nelson actually has a strategy, given that it's a pretty simple strategy that wouldn't fly outside of heavyweight. Still, very good breakdown.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Captain Log posted:

I was going to mention that too (as well as Wand looking like he was close on the Bisping Guillotine), but I do wonder about the punishment Chaels taken in his latest set of losses. People aren't even bothering to stay canon and triangle him anymore.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

attackmole posted:

Can someone post the .gif of the guillotine attempt where he's screaming and it looks like Wand's jaw is going to detach from his skull like some creature from the thing? Because it's probably the coolest thing he's done in the last 4 years along with breaking Cung Le's nose.

I don't know if we're allowed to embed photobucket images and it's too big for imgur, so here's a link instead:

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae11/andersondasilva1/wandblowinghiswad.gif

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Could someone explain to me where the unbearably stupid "WAR ______!!!!1!1" poo poo came from in places like Sherdog and the UG? for like 10+ yearsI haven't known what it could possibly mean and for some reason I've decided I must know.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gregor Samsa posted:

Could someone explain to me where the unbearably stupid "WAR ______!!!!1!1" poo poo came from in places like Sherdog and the UG? for like 10+ yearsI haven't known what it could possibly mean and for some reason I've decided I must know.

it's a college sports thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Eagle

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
:siren: Robuste Nation Finale GDT : Un americain contre un Euro en Frenchy Canada :siren:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gregor Samsa posted:

While Lost For Words' link correctly identifies the Auburn battle cry as the origin, I believe using "WAR ____" to cheer on non-Auburn things originated on the Jim Rome show.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

While Lost For Words' link correctly identifies the Auburn battle cry as the origin, I believe using "WAR ____" to cheer on non-Auburn things originated on the Jim Rome show.

As if I didn't have enough reasons to hate Jim Rome.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Senjuro posted:

Can someone fill me in as to why everyone is convinced Wanderlei is no match for Chael? The only Wanderlei fight I've seen is against Brian Stann but if nothing else, he at least looked like he's quite capable of knocking Chael out. Meanwhile Sonnen can't use TRT anymore and his last and only win in a long time has been against a way past his prime Shogun.

As rheinhold mentioned, Shogun is way less washed up than Wanderlei at this point in time and Shogun was a MUCH bigger threat all around, his timing and accuracy standing up and his ability to sweep and submit from the bottom are way more than Wanderlei could have ever offered up at any point in time. Wanderlei isn't as good as his record suggests, and from 2004-2014 he's been on the receiving end of a crazy amount of damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rexhjiOL3_0

Also, there's the fact that we did see them fight sort of, and Chael immediately took Wanderlei down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=177Nz93z9lc

edit: it's worth watching this full scene because at the end Wanderlei says "I preach nonviolence all the time" :kiddo:

1st AD fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 15, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I was going to mention that too (as well as Wand looking like he was close on the Bisping Guillotine), but I do wonder about the punishment Chaels taken in his latest set of losses. People aren't even bothering to stay canon and triangle him anymore.

Well that punishment has come at the hands of Jones and Rashad so I don't think you can really take anything from those losses other than he can't beat guys that are better fighters that are also bigger than he is. These guys are light-heavyweight strap holders and Chael is a bloated middleweight also-ran.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Chuck Liddell has some information for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQAsvKE2E5A

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

1st AD posted:

Well that punishment has come at the hands of Jones and Rashad so I don't think you can really take anything from those losses other than he can't beat guys that are better fighters that are also bigger than he is. These guys are light-heavyweight strap holders and Chael is a bloated middleweight also-ran.

Ok, but Chael Sonnen is going to take him down easily.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Where did I imply otherwise?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Has there ever been question of that? Wanderlei is going to spend approximately 15 minutes on his back unless Chael can grab another submission.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ditch posted:

Not sure why I should be shocked that Nelson actually has a strategy, given that it's a pretty simple strategy that wouldn't fly outside of heavyweight. Still, very good breakdown.

Simple strategies are usually the best!

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Dida was disturbingly proud of sucker punching Chael.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
He probably has that jersey he tore off framed

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Wise Learned Man posted:

I don't know if we're allowed to embed photobucket images and it's too big for imgur, so here's a link instead:

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae11/andersondasilva1/wandblowinghiswad.gif

yessssssss

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
wanderlei and shogun arent that similar and never were

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

This some kinda gigolo thing?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Everybody here loved Wanderlei a few years ago: they told stories about him chewing gum with Don Frye and dressing up like Santa Claus to distribute presents to impoverished children. Now it turns out he's an rear end in a top hat. My faith in the PSP hivemind is shattered.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

This some kinda gigolo thing?

lol

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Everybody here loved Wanderlei a few years ago: they told stories about him chewing gum with Don Frye and dressing up like Santa Claus to distribute presents to impoverished children. Now it turns out he's an rear end in a top hat. My faith in the PSP hivemind is shattered.

What have you don't for me lately, etc. Chael has been consistently entertaining while Wanderlei has just acted a fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I only dislike Wanderlei because I'm racist against Brazilians or whatever

• Locked thread