Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Any PUPPPS sufferers out there with a badass guarantee remedy? My wife is miserable and we've tried a bunch of stuff: Benadryl, Claritin, hydrocortisone cream, pine tar soap, and nothing. Our ob basically went "it sucks, but if you don't want to induce early you'll have to deal". We're two-ish weeks out. Anything you all stand by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

areyoucontagious posted:

Any PUPPPS sufferers out there with a badass guarantee remedy? My wife is miserable and we've tried a bunch of stuff: Benadryl, Claritin, hydrocortisone cream, pine tar soap, and nothing. Our ob basically went "it sucks, but if you don't want to induce early you'll have to deal". We're two-ish weeks out. Anything you all stand by?

Ask your OB about a higher potency corticosteroid cream like triamcinolone. In very extreme cases, oral steroids can be used as well.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

Ugh, PUPPPS was so miserable. At night I usually draped myself with cold wet washcloths, and that gave enough relief that I could get to sleep. I also constantly slathered myself with Dream Cream from Lush, which would give maybe five minutes of relief per application. Sorry, I hope you find something that works better for you!

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

areyoucontagious posted:

That is the worst - basically what let to me being induced only a few days late and not waiting longer.
Benadryl was the only thing that sort-of worked for me. During the day a thick coat of aloe-vera gel helped the most on problem spots, but no real cure.

Totally feel for ya - even my hubby was irritated by me scratching all night as Benadryl wore off.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thanks for the tips =) at this point we're waiting until after the 16th (wife is CPA), and then that baby is coming out. Just 11 days!

As for treatments, literally nothing has worked, and our OB, who is amazing, doesn't want to prescribe something stronger since we are so close.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Dori posted:

I had my first outing to one of the big baby stores on the weekend as I figured it'd make sense to start looking things like car seats and strollers while I am still mobile and all that and so we have an idea of what we might like in case any good second hand deals pop up.

Stroller selection here seems to be somewhat limited (thanks New Zealand) and the prices in store vs online and vs second hand vary a lot for some models and much less for others and it isn't really clear why that is or even how some strollers are different from others besides the extra $200-400 on the price tag.
I was wondering whether people would be happy to share what features they found best/most important when choosing strollers? We're quite happy to spend a little more if it means we get something that'll tick a lot of boxes and that we won't need to replace or replace lots of bits on over time. Brand recommendations are probably less useful for us than feature recommendations as many of the brands available here seem to be NZ or Australian brands. Thanks everyone for all the advice so far - lots of the recent car seat discussion has been super useful.

I'm in Australia too (former Kiwi goon though!) and we went with a Baby Jogger City Mini for our stroller, while it's not a NZ brand it they seem to have retailers dotted all over the place. It's been awesome the whole time, so easy to fold and lift to put in the car - not very heavy. I found it easy even after a Caesarean, so take that as you will.
You can get attachments to clip a capsule to it as well.

I just used one of those car seat inserts in it when Soren was tiny wee, so he didn't have quite so much room around him. It has windows in the back, and two along the hood so you can peek in. Plus the hood folds over really far so it's fantastic for sunshade or when the baby is sleeping.
Super easy to push/steer and the back lies down virtually flat.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

iwik posted:

I'm in Australia too (former Kiwi goon though!) and we went with a Baby Jogger City Mini for our stroller, while it's not a NZ brand it they seem to have retailers dotted all over the place. It's been awesome the whole time, so easy to fold and lift to put in the car - not very heavy. I found it easy even after a Caesarean, so take that as you will.

Another Aussie/former Kiwi goon here - we bought the Valco Snap which seems to be sort of a copy of the City Mini, got the car capsule adapter too. Can't say anything about it though as I haven't had my baby yet!

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
My baby boy Elijah came at 6:51am yesterday morning! My wife was 15 minutes from a C section until he finally dropped (24 hours of labor;2 hours of 10cm dilated)

The doctor gave a once over 1 last time(thankfully) and 20 minutes later out popped a cone headed 7lbs14oz baby!

I fell in love instantly. I kinda figured people exaggerated when saying that. He's also latching like a champ and all is well.

When I posted here a few months ago saying I was upset with having a boy instead of a girl I got some good advice and what do you know, I couldn't care less. Thanks guys and gals!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Ah, I remember you, congratulations! What a beautiful name :)

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Sockmuppet posted:

Ah, I remember you, congratulations! What a beautiful name :)

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately at the last checkup before going home today he got diagnosed with Jaundice and has to go back tomorrow. We plan on going tomorrow super early and get another bilirubin :-(. The doctor said to keep an eye on his temperature by anus. Obviously I'm terrified and want to check it every 2 minutes but I'm refraining.

I'm sure a lot of you have gone through jaundice and I'm just hoping it all goes well.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Inudeku posted:

I'm sure a lot of you have gone through jaundice and I'm just hoping it all goes well.

I was there! My son was back in the hospital after 1 day home because of his jaundice, and had to do light therapy. It was super scary on top of my exhaustion and painful nipples and hormones..ugh.

Just know that it is in the grand scheme of things a VERY minor problem. Just follow through with the treatment and don't worry too much if they want him supplemented with formula if mom is breastfeeding. Just stick with nursing as much as possible and before every supplementing...despite his early supplementing, I'm still nursing at 10 months! :)

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Car seat expiration dates, bullshit or something to heed? I want to buy one on Craigslist but it expires in 2015 and my kid was just born.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Good lord, don't buy a car seat from craigslist. You don't know its history (has it been in a wreck? Have the straps ever been soaked with liquid? Etc etc). Even the cheapest options at a store are required to conform to minimum standards. Usually the only difference in price is convenience factors and/or higher weight/height limits.

Info here: http://www.thecarseatlady.com/choosing_a_car_seat/choosing_a_car_seat_2.html

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Chickalicious posted:

Good lord, don't buy a car seat from craigslist. You don't know its history (has it been in a wreck? Have the straps ever been soaked with liquid? Etc etc). Even the cheapest options at a store are required to conform to minimum standards. Usually the only difference in price is convenience factors and/or higher weight/height limits.

Info here: http://www.thecarseatlady.com/choosing_a_car_seat/choosing_a_car_seat_2.html

Agreed. I'm a huge proponent of buying used baby equipment, but never *ever* a carseat. There's a reason the baby consignment and resale shops don't have them - there's just no way to know the history of the seat and there are all kinds of ways for it to be rendered unsafe.

I would borrow a carseat from a close friend or relative who I trusted to be honest with me about its history, but never a stranger.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
If you look on youtube, there's a video showing how an expired seat breaks apart in a crash.

If you're in dire straits, there are programs available to help you out, depending on your area. Otherwise, the Scenera (while not the most luxurious) is only $39 bucks.

I wouldn't buy a used carseat unless you actually knew the seller personally and trusted him because people lie terribly and garbage pick and sell what they find on swaps like that.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I use the Scenera (actually it's the same brand different model, I can't think of the name offhand right now, APT 40 or something) for my 10 month old and it's working great for us. I bought 2 actually since they're inexpensive and I wanted to have a backup. Easy to get him in/out, no frills. Only complaint is it was kind of hard to tighten the LATCH strap enough because the cupholders were in the way a bit, but when I went to have it installed by the police (they do seat checks/installation here) he got it no problem.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
This is a bit back and I'm not sure if someone already said this but for the goon with the wife having painful nursing and painful pumping- for the pumping try changing your breast shield size. Pumping could be rather painful particularly if they are too small.

http://www.medela.com/IW/en/breastfeeding/good-to-know/right-size-of-breastshield.html

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I hope this is the right place for this! New mamas (and papas!), what did you find you really wish you had the first few weeks or at the hospital that you might like in a care package? Two of my sisters-in-law are pregnant and, seeing that everyone always brings pressies for bubbas (which I have), I would like to bring some mama care packages for them when they get home (I figure they'll have too much crap at the hospital!)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

They are super clean eating, yoga crazy ladies!

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Lanolin. All of the Lanolin. And quick easy snacks like apples and peanut butter. Our friend also made frozen crockpot meals for us. (like frozen porkchop in a zip lock with carrots broccoli and broth that you just throw in the crockpot and turn on. 1 bagged meals)

That's just what is helping us out the most. We don't have much time to eat and cook with feedings every 2 hours haha.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Don't bring anything to the hospital that isn't edible. People brought me boppy pillows, flowers, balloons, and we were in a room with two other women with the little curtains dividing our beds and there was no room for ANYTHING AT ALL. If they specifically ask you to bring something for them, bring it, but any gifts can wait until they're home.

After that, food. Food that is just tossed in the oven/crockpot/whatever. Nothing that requires work. Come over and do the dishes so mom can sit and hold the baby. Too many moms/grandmas come over and "Oh, I'll HOLD THE BABY FOR YOU, while you do things." gently caress that, do things for them, then leave.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Seconding lanolin! Also when I was in the hospital, a friend bought me some fancy teabags. Which was lovely and very appreciated because the tea/coffee available in the hospital was bleh.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Don't forget to bring food to the hospital for the significant other as well. My mediocre meals were included in my stay but my husband was on his own.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
These are some ideas so far....

POSSIBLE SMALL care package For the hospital

Hand sanitizer (that smells nice)
Mint/gum
Lip balm, hand cream
Snacks (trail mix, chocolate, nuts)
Face wipes
Hair ties
Dry shampoo
Tucks wipes
Socks for mum & dad

Mama & Papa @home care package

Lanolin
Nursing pads
Spa gift cards/food delivery gift cards
Pampering stuff (sitz bath stuff)
Snacks
Mani/pedi stuff
Nice journal
Fruit/veg from farmers market
Beer for dad
Bottle of wine from this year (for them to drink when baby turns 18)

I also found these https://www.etsy.com/listing/173624284/new-mom-gift-set-natural-birth-and

I know they'll need stuff for sore nipples and episiotomies!

Miranda fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 17, 2014

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Gift certificate to their favorite restaurant that delivers? Or several for cheap order in meals, clipped to the menus for ease of use. :)

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

Miranda posted:

Beer for dad

Hell, beer for mom too!!! Hubby brought home some stout with my meds after my girl was born and (half) a beer just after feeding the baby felt sooooo good after so long without! Weirdly enough, beer was the only thing I craved that pregnancy.

Good list so far - I really like the bottle of wine idea, cool!

I would add to the food items at home not only veggies but a plate of cut-up veggies with some dip (peppers, carrots, cucumber, etc.). A friend brought me some with a meal and I must have been lacking some vitamins I was so drawn to them. Easy to just nibble on some every time they're at the fridge. Already cut up because no one has time to do that with a new baby.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

kbdragon posted:

Hell, beer for mom too!!! Hubby brought home some stout with my meds after my girl was born and (half) a beer just after feeding the baby felt sooooo good after so long without! Weirdly enough, beer was the only thing I craved that pregnancy.

Good list so far - I really like the bottle of wine idea, cool!

I would add to the food items at home not only veggies but a plate of cut-up veggies with some dip (peppers, carrots, cucumber, etc.). A friend brought me some with a meal and I must have been lacking some vitamins I was so drawn to them. Easy to just nibble on some every time they're at the fridge. Already cut up because no one has time to do that with a new baby.

True! The mums don't drink beer really so maybe some wine for them!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
OK, countdown to d-day: 4 days. I'm now panicking just a little bit about stuff we don't have (breast pump, hospital grab-and-go bag packed, a changing table, a myriad of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting), but things are going to work out. The wife is doing great, we're inducing next week if the baby doesn't come before then. Any last minute advice? I've been lurking this thread for close to 7-ish months now, and it's been a great read.

We're going to be okay!

what the gently caress goes in the bag we take to the hospital? Robe? Clothes? fuuuuuck

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

areyoucontagious posted:

OK, countdown to d-day: 4 days. I'm now panicking just a little bit about stuff we don't have (breast pump, hospital grab-and-go bag packed, a changing table, a myriad of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting), but things are going to work out. The wife is doing great, we're inducing next week if the baby doesn't come before then. Any last minute advice? I've been lurking this thread for close to 7-ish months now, and it's been a great read.

We're going to be okay!

what the gently caress goes in the bag we take to the hospital? Robe? Clothes? fuuuuuck

Only bring in your bag: a warm outfit and a cool outfit for baby (ours went home in 60 degrees and sunny but if he was born on his due date it would have been 35 degrees), some snacks like protein bars, phone charger and laptop/tablet and a
take home outfit for mom and yourself.

Our hospital gave us lanolin/wipes/diapers/clothes/hats and everything necessary.

Edit : don't worry about a pump yet either. You most likely won't pumping for a few weeks anyways. And you'll also quickly find out a changing table should be called a "hold all my baby stuff" table. We've used ours twice. Found that a pad with recieving blanket over it better and more comfortable

Inudeku fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 17, 2014

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I need some help deciding on diapers. We thought we decided a while ago that we were going with cloth diapers. My wife ordered a free trial of Honest disposables. This is our first kid and she asks me what I think but I honestly have no idea. I like the idea of saving money in the long run with cloth diapers but I'm also scared that it'll be a big burden washing them all the time. The convenience of an eco-friendly disposable sounds appealing, but I'm not pretending to know anything about anything.

Can someone give me some pros/cons or any general advice on making a decision?

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
I've been using cloth diapers for about 4 months now, with my 6 month old, and I love it. I stay at home, so it's a bit easier to wash, but it should be doable even if you're both working. It takes around an hour, give or take, to do the washing and rinsing, and I hang the covers in the laundry room to dry and use the dryer for the liners.

I highly recommend using cloth due to the money you can save. As with disposables, you'll find that some brands work better for you than others. I use Bumgenius pocket diapers with the snaps and those work really well for me.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

Pizza Club posted:

Do you have your own washer? If so cloth is really pretty easy. Washing takes maybe 90 minutes usually every third day for us now at a year every second day when he was younger. We have pocket diapers so we dry the inserts (usually with a regular load of clothes) but you could hang the inserts too. We bought expensive cloth diapers (bumgenius 4.0s) but still are under $500 that should take us until potty training.

Disposables are obviously more convenient but cost a lot more and of course are worse for the environment. I don't know anything about the honest diapers though.

I would suggest disposables for the first few days regardless because I've heard merconium can be hard to get out. Plus you have enough to worry about then.

I'm happy to go into more detail if you want.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I started with cloth but I'm a single parent and work 5 nights a week/all weekend so it just wasn't sustainable for me. I also didn't have enough money to build up a stash and couldn't keep up with the laundry. I likely could now that he's older and doesn't pee/poop every 5 seconds, but eh.

I've been using Honest and while it's pricier, it's so convenient and I'm okay with spending more since he is in these things literally 24/7. Their wipes are my favorite, and the healing balm is wonderful too. I've had great experience with their customer service too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Pizza Club posted:

I need some help deciding on diapers. We thought we decided a while ago that we were going with cloth diapers. My wife ordered a free trial of Honest disposables. This is our first kid and she asks me what I think but I honestly have no idea. I like the idea of saving money in the long run with cloth diapers but I'm also scared that it'll be a big burden washing them all the time. The convenience of an eco-friendly disposable sounds appealing, but I'm not pretending to know anything about anything.

Washing them isn't that bad, it can be a little gross once they start eating solids but for the first 6 months you're just throwing a bag of them in the wash every day or two. We still have our 17-month-old in cloth diapers and it can be a little gross, but it's a relatively quick/easy chore in the grand scheme of things.

We did switch to disposables at night because they feel much dryer so he can sleep through the night without a change. We also use disposables when we travel, and once you're used to cloth it's pretty amazing just how much trash the disposables generate.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
To go along with all this diaper chat, would you guys still recommend cloth diapers for someone who rents an apartment with no washer and dryer in the unit? There is a dedicated laundry room for the complex, but I'm concerned about all the quarters I'll have to stock up on in order to wash the diapers so frequently. I've read that it's still doable but we'll need to buy a *lot* of diapers so we aren't washing as often. Thoughts?

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
We use both. We got like 8 or so at our baby shower so we use them and if they're all dirty, we use disposables. I'd honestly recommend to at least have a few to help out a bit

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

PacoTheThird posted:

To go along with all this diaper chat, would you guys still recommend cloth diapers for someone who rents an apartment with no washer and dryer in the unit? There is a dedicated laundry room for the complex, but I'm concerned about all the quarters I'll have to stock up on in order to wash the diapers so frequently. I've read that it's still doable but we'll need to buy a *lot* of diapers so we aren't washing as often. Thoughts?

We also live in an apartment with shared laundry facilities, but reluctantly decided against cloth diapers. The way I saw it, it was a courtesy issue. Nobody wants to use a communal washer that has been used to wash poop and pee out of diapers. Also, our room has hours of 9:30-9:30 so I couldn't do laundry whenever I wanted, and keeping enough coins on hand would have taken a lot of effort as well.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
There's also a diaper service to consider. They do all your washing delivering clean diapers and picking up your dirty. I've never used them but I have a friend who is. Not as cheap as doing it yourself but I think at least in the beginning cheaper then disposables.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I used cloth full time except for vacations and a couple weeks when he was a newborn. My son is 3.5 now and still needs one diaper at night, so we're still using them and baby #2 will be here next month, so we'll be back to full time again.

Early on, we had to wash about every other day to keep up. As he got older, we could stretch it to every 2 days, but any longer than that and it was too stinky. I stay at home and we have a washer and dryer in our house. I don't know if working would have made me decide against using cloth, but there's no way I'd do it with shared and/or pay laundry machines. You're supposed to be careful to keep fabric softeners and dryer sheets out of your laundry routine altogether when using cloth because those things can cause the fabric to repel liquids, which is the last thing you want in a diaper. And using shared machines pretty much guarantees there's no way you can know what's going into them regularly. Also, there were some days when it would be midnight and I'd go "oh gently caress, I only have 4 clean diapers left." And then I could just toss a load in right then and have them ready for the next day without have to get dressed, find quarters, schlep a load of gross diapers to wherever the machines are in the building etc etc. I know some people can manage it, but knowing myself, it would have been a no-go for us.

The money it saved us was probably in the several hundreds, and the fact that I'll be using them for a second kid will only add to that. I spent about $350 on 27 brand new pocket style diapers, and that is certainly not the cheapest route you can go. Every time I bought a pack of disposables for vacation, I was always appalled at how much they cost and we were only buying the Target brand ones. I know disposables can be made cheaper by watching sales and coupons and all that jazz, but I'm far too lazy to juggle that nonsense.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
I have 6 week old twins, and they're in a combination of prefolds and pocket diapers. I had numerous people telling me that I would never have time to handle cloth. I've found that the amount of time needed is minimal. I'll throw a load of diapers in at 2 AM while my wife is breastfeeding. The hardest part is rinsing off the poop (utility sink works wonders here), but it only takes 20 minutes to throw two days of diapers in the wash. Once there, takes 30 seconds to start the soak cycle and leave it for a half hour, another 30 seconds to start the wash cycle and leave it for another half hour, and a few minutes to throw them in the dryer and leave it for another half hour.

It's easier using disposable, but doing cloth isn't that bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If you are exclusively breastfeeding you don't need to rinse the poop off before chucking them in the washer.