Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

MrOnBicycle posted:

Moral of the (all) stories is trust no one in traffic. I would have been hit by a car while crossing the road at the crosswalk the other day, if it wasn't for me trusting no one. it was a 2 lane road with a crosswalk and (as you are required by law) the van stopped to let me cross. However the dude in the next lane was too stupid to realize that the van had stopped at a crosswalk to let a pedestrian by, and raced through.

Luckily I inched my way forward, expecting just that to happen. I see all these pedestrians crossing the road without even looking and it's loving scary. If I wasn't the kind of person that always looks and keep alert of my surroundings, I might have been seriously injured / dead. Wouldn't have been my fault, but what comfort is that?

I had a lady actually roll down her window and yell at me for not crossing when she waved at me to cross a 2 lane street with a bus in the other lane. The bus driver, who I could clearly see, was looking the other direction and moving. I just don't trust other drivers/people.

I like to take note of how absent minded people are when they're pushing a shopping cart in a store, and how almost every one of them drove to that store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I applaud the polo shirt+sunglasses alpha male rear end in a top hat who laid on his horn trying to convince people to inch forward so he could make a right turn at an intersection that had no turn lane. I guess he was late for his tee time or something?

Eventually people inched up far enough that he could squeeze his Acura through, which might have been fine except he stopped right next to the first car that had blocked him, stuck two hands out the window, and gave some gray haired old lady a pair of middle fingers. His jaw was flapping too, I was too far away to hear anything but I'm sure he wasn't complimenting her dress.

Then the light turned green and traffic cleared and he had saved absolutely no time after all those theatrics. :downs:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is where you turn your engine off, your hazards on, pop the hood and fake a mechanical issue.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

To be fair it's super annoying when the car could easily pull forward enough for you to make a right turn. Not saying this guy isn't a douche but when the SUV is staring at their phone 1.5 car lengths back a quick beep of the horn usually gets them to move up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

To be fair it's super annoying when the car could easily pull forward enough for you to make a right turn. Not saying this guy isn't a douche but when the SUV is staring at their phone 1.5 car lengths back a quick beep of the horn usually gets them to move up.

There are a lot of people who pull all the way to the left line, and up to the stop line so cars can still turn right if there's enough room at the intersection to do so. Every once in a while you get that douchebag a full car length back from the stop line, and nearly hugging the curb, as if they are intentionally blocking people out. gently caress those people, they get the horn.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Got stuck behind some retard (or senile old person, or drunk, not sure which) doing 20 in a 40 for 5 miles on my way home from work today... in a white minivan with CT vanity plates. Even doing half the limit they couldn't keep it between the lines and still swerved right and panic braked every time a car came the other direction.

I wished I could pull them over and cut up their goddamn license. Get off the loving road if you're that poo poo at driving.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I ran into that before except it was a Neon doing 5-10km/h with no lights on at night. I called it in and the OPP picked up the driver. It turned out to be a really old grandma and I had mixed feelings about sicking the cops on her.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You did the right thing, both for her safety and for everyone else's safety, as well.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Got stuck behind some retard (or senile old person, or drunk, not sure which) doing 20 in a 40 for 5 miles on my way home from work today... in a white minivan with CT vanity plates. Even doing half the limit they couldn't keep it between the lines and still swerved right and panic braked every time a car came the other direction.

I wished I could pull them over and cut up their goddamn license. Get off the loving road if you're that poo poo at driving.

You should have called the police and maneuvered around them when safe. Its never a good idea to be behind an impaired driver. You are better to pass them on a double yellow *when obviously safe to do so* and get distance than sit behind them waiting for disaster.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Chinatown posted:

You should have called the police and maneuvered around them when safe. Its never a good idea to be behind an impaired driver. You are better to pass them on a double yellow *when obviously safe to do so* and get distance than sit behind them waiting for disaster.

This is my attitude when riding my motorcycle except I consider all drivers 'impaired'.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Chinatown posted:

With my luck a cop would come along exactly as I did that. Nope.

I flicked the high beams every time they hit the double yellow line and eventually they pulled over into a parking lot (which meant slowing to a crawl for 1/8th mile, then coming to a full stop in the middle of a state highway before a very leisurely right turn.) Probably should have called the cops, oh well.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Why do so many people think this?

You're better off:
  • Being on a different road (re-route yourself)
  • a safe distance behind them, where you can effectively brake to a stop when they do something stupid.

If you pass them, they can swerve into you. If you are in front of them, you cannot control the situation as effectively because your only option is outrunning them. You're giving them control over a large portion of the possible eventualities.

This is the same silly logic people seem to whip out with drunk drivers and it's remarkably short-sighted.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, the last thing I want to do is pass a drunk which involves getting closer to them while I complete my pass. If I'm passing them on a double yellow, which seems to be the case here since Kastein said he was stuck behind them, you're also making an illegal and dangerous traffic move, which could potentially piss off aforementioned drunk. Get away from them by going a different way or pull over for a bit to let them go away. That'd when you'd call the cops - it's not like they're going anywhere fast.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Oh this one's a classic:

http://www.standard.net.au/story/2219242/i-just-dont-care-texting-p-plate-driver-hits-cyclist/

quote:

A P-PLATE driver who used her mobile phone behind the wheel 44 times before running down a cyclist near Koroit has been fined $4500 and lost her licence for nine months.

Kimberley Davis, 21, of Grant Street, Port Fairy, yesterday pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court to dangerous driving.

She was originally charged with 47 offences covering each time she had used her phone.

The cyclist suffered a spinal fracture which required surgery and placement in a spinal cage at Melbourne’s Austin Hospital. He was originally told he could be left a paraplegic and spent three months recovering.

He also suffered a broken big toe and lacerations to his head and body.

The court heard that the victim couldn’t believe that Davis rang triple-0 after the accident but refused to offer him help after she parked 100 metres up the road.

Even more stunning was Davis’ answers when interviewed by police two days after the accident and asked about using her phone.

“I just don’t care because I’ve already been through a lot of bullshit and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it,” she told a police officer.

“I’m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don’t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn’t on my phone when I hit the cyclist.”

Davis had driven from a supermarket in east Warrnambool to just west of Koroit when she hit the cyclist at 7.20pm on September 20 last year on the Penshurst-Warrnambool Road.

The cyclist was on the edge of the road heading west when Davis hit him from behind, despite there being lights on the back and front of his bike.

Records showed Davis used her phone 44 times in her drive from east Warrnambool to Koroit, sending and receiving 22 text messages to seven different phones.

At 7.18pm she received a text message and 51 seconds later made the call to triple-0 after hitting the rider.

Magistrate John Lesser said there were issues surrounding the case of great community significance, especially drivers using mobile telephones.

He noted that Davis’ comments were poorly put when she was interviewed by police.

The wife of the bike rider was in court for the hearing yesterday and was deeply disappointed Davis did not lose her licence for longer.
Nice slap on the wrist fine and disqualification

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

Yeah, the last thing I want to do is pass a drunk which involves getting closer to them while I complete my pass. If I'm passing them on a double yellow, which seems to be the case here since Kastein said he was stuck behind them, you're also making an illegal and dangerous traffic move, which could potentially piss off aforementioned drunk. Get away from them by going a different way or pull over for a bit to let them go away. That'd when you'd call the cops - it's not like they're going anywhere fast.

If I was gonna call the cops I probably would do it while following them so I could say exactly where they were. It's not like I'm going to find talking on the phone while doing 20 in a 45 in broad daylight difficult.

I just wanted to get home, damnit. And yeah, I'm not afraid to make use of passing zones, if I could have passed legally I probably would have.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

You Am I posted:

Oh this one's a classic:

http://www.standard.net.au/story/2219242/i-just-dont-care-texting-p-plate-driver-hits-cyclist/
Nice slap on the wrist fine and disqualification

I want to write a lot of bad words but have refrained. :suicide:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

One consolation prize is down around warnambool the next thing she side swipes whilst texting and driving might be a log truck.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Krakkles posted:

Why do so many people think this?

You're better off:
  • Being on a different road (re-route yourself)
  • a safe distance behind them, where you can effectively brake to a stop when they do something stupid.

If you pass them, they can swerve into you. If you are in front of them, you cannot control the situation as effectively because your only option is outrunning them. You're giving them control over a large portion of the possible eventualities.

This is the same silly logic people seem to whip out with drunk drivers and it's remarkably short-sighted.

Yes. Note that increase aggressiveness and widely varying speeds are symptoms of alcohol intoxication (on reason alcohol intoxication is more dangerous than MJ for driving). You could be half way through that pass and fucko speeds up to 120. Then he weaves into you.
Best case is get a plate, fall back, and call the cops if you think there is a serious safety issue.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yeah, if I'm on a long trip and someone's driving like a jackass, I pull into the next parking lot and take a quick nap. 10-15 minutes, I'm refreshed and ready to go, and they're hopefully miles away and pissing off someone else by that point. Doesn't help much if you're on a deadline, or something, but it helps a ton in not getting some drugged-up tweaker pissed off at me for daring to pass his braking rear end.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was stuck at a light next to two trucks, one behind the other, both filled with obnoxiously loud frat assholes (tank top, sunglasses, beanie; "bros.") The passenger in the front truck was throwing coins at the rear truck.. just grabbing a handful of coins and tossing them at the truck behind him... I had no idea what the gently caress the guy was yelling and laughing about. He was just making incomprehensible noise. Holy poo poo, people like them are why I generally can't stand frats and sororities.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
I was driving through south-east Iowa on Sunday on the interstate when I came up on a car in the left (passing) lane going ten under the limit. An Oldsmobile Alero was riding their back bumper pretty hard trying to get them to move over. I come up on them in the right lane and right as I'm about to pass the Alero driver cuts me off and floors it past them. That's not even why I'm posting, though. After the alero passes, another group of cars come up behind them and they slow down even more and put on their hazards, and when the highway widened to a third lane, went to the leftmost lane. they ended up exiting on the same exit I did, and nothing looked off other than every window but the windshield being completely fogged up. :iiam:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This morning, I was nearly hit head on by a moron who swerved into my lane to avoid a truck parked on his side of the road. He just swerved right across the double lines straight at me without even slowing down :wtf:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm posted:

Yes. Note that increase aggressiveness and widely varying speeds are symptoms of alcohol intoxication (on reason alcohol intoxication is more dangerous than MJ for driving). You could be half way through that pass and fucko speeds up to 120. Then he weaves into you.
Best case is get a plate, fall back, and call the cops if you think there is a serious safety issue.

I thought about passing this guy.. for about 1 second.

And yes, cops did get involved on that one.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
It's April. That means that we don't have to brush the eighth inch of powder off of our cars right? Because everybody knows that it doesn't snow in April.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Driving to work this morning on 95 north bound in CT. Crest a .5% grade hill to find traffic has slowed to a 40 mph crawl...why? Oh, because there is a State cop half way down the "hill." Does it boggle anyone else's mind that people drive that slow past a cop when the limit is 65? :psyduck:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

GramCracker posted:

Driving to work this morning on 95 north bound in CT. Crest a .5% grade hill to find traffic has slowed to a 40 mph crawl...why? Oh, because there is a State cop half way down the "hill." Does it boggle anyone else's mind that people drive that slow past a cop when the limit is 65? :psyduck:

It does boggle my mind. Was the cop even in the right jurisdiction? A cop driving somewhere usually has something better to do than watch every single person on the road, that's what parked cops do.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

EightBit posted:

It does boggle my mind. Was the cop even in the right jurisdiction? A cop driving somewhere usually has something better to do than watch every single person on the road, that's what parked cops do.

He was a state cop, so yes I believe he was. Just posted up on the side of the highway at the end of an unused access ramp. If I were him I'd be pulling over people left and right for going too slow.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have been in central Italy for the last week. The car rental place hosed up and we ended up with a Mercedes van that seats nine, but in the end it has worked out since this is my first time driving in Europe and a bus is kind of nice for learning the traffic, people give you room.

Everything you have heard about Italian drivers is true.

Passing on a mountain road with a blind turn? Check.
Mopeds driving down both sides in city traffic? Check.
Parking your fiat wherever? Check.

On the plus side though, while crazy I have not seen any road rage and heard almost no honking. You may cut off or get cut off, but no one takes it personal. Our van is nice as people seem to let you go vs cutting in front. Drivers are pretty patient and while you may get tailgated for a bit, rest assured you will also get passed at the first opportunity.
On the autostrada the left lane is strictly passing only unless you are doing 130kph or up. (Limit is 100kph fwiw)
On tiny mountain roads 1.5 cars wide people seem to make room at the last second. They mostly stop for pedestrians too. I don't know what to think, they are nuts, but it seems to work really well for the most part. My one caveat is I have only been in the smaller cities and rural areas. I expect Rome sucks for driving.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
I lived in Italy for 6 months and they are just crazy. I've come up to a turn and seen a car passing a car that was passing another car on a 2 lane road. They are absolutely crazy drivers especially the people on Vespas. Nothing like seeing a family of four on a drat moped.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

KozmoNaut posted:

This morning, I was nearly hit head on by a moron who swerved into my lane to avoid a truck parked on his side of the road. He just swerved right across the double lines straight at me without even slowing down :wtf:

Many of your uncaged kind have taken to wearing those "visible from several Scandinavian miles away" vests to get an easier time in our traffic, might be something for you to consider.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrLonghair posted:

Many of your uncaged kind have taken to wearing those "visible from several Scandinavian miles away" vests to get an easier time in our traffic, might be something for you to consider.

I was driving the car when it happened. It's silver and my bike is bright loving orange, so I think I'm actually more visible on the bike even without a vest.

Then again, when you're on a bike, car drivers seem to think it's perfectly OK to just steal 50-75% of your lane whenever they feel like it. Cagers :argh:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 16, 2014

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

MrLonghair posted:

Scandinavian miles

I learned something today

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

GramCracker posted:

The first several people to see him probably slowed down to 65.

The next group saw the cars slowing to 65 before they saw the cop, and slowed down to 62 just in case there was an accident or something.

The group behind them slowed to 58. Et cetera.

A better question is why the trooper didn't just move somewhere else.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

GramCracker posted:

not as much as when they slow down for one of the "SPEED LIMIT XX // YOUR SPEED XX" displays. The other day I was on a two-lane 35mph road ( traffic usually goes 40 or so ) caught in a line of people who either slammed on their brakes so the sign would read "27" or slammed on their brakes because the person ahead of them didn't want to get pulled over by an LCD display.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 15, 2018

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Krakkles posted:

Years ago, I'd make them flash "99" with my motorcycle.

I don't do it anymore, but I'm still tempted.

Yea, I used to see them as a challenge. Thankfully I have calmed down in my old age.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

triple clutcher posted:

not as much as when they slow down for one of the "SPEED LIMIT XX // YOUR SPEED XX" displays. The other day I was on a two-lane 35mph road ( traffic usually goes 40 or so ) caught in a line of people who either slammed on their brakes so the sign would read "27" or slammed on their brakes because the person ahead of them didn't want to get pulled over by an LCD display.

There's one near me that has blue and red lights on it (is that even legal not on an emergency vehicle?) that flash if you go over the speed limit. That's pretty drat annoying.

There's another pair not far away. One seems calibrated just fine, the other reads ~5% too fast, so people going south slow down even more than they need to because of it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Krakkles posted:

Years ago, I'd make them flash "99" with my motorcycle.

I don't do it anymore, but I'm still tempted.

Negromancer posted:

Yea, I used to see them as a challenge. Thankfully I have calmed down in my old age.

I'm have no evidence that the two things are related, but in multiple states all the ones I've seen now will blink the speed limit or something like **SLOW** once you're doing about 10+ over. I'd like to think that it's because the signs double as high score displays though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ror posted:

I'm have no evidence that the two things are related, but in multiple states all the ones I've seen now will blink the speed limit or something like **SLOW** once you're doing about 10+ over. I'd like to think that it's because the signs double as high score displays though.
Yeah, that's pretty ubiquitous at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I always try to slow down for these (usually to within ~5 over the limit) because I'm paranoid that they've gotten sneaky and installed speed cameras in them. They've gone nuts with the red light cameras around here in the last couple years. I trust nothing. :colbert:

Is that a thing? Do these ever have cameras in them? The kind that snaps your plate if you are :siren: BREAKING THE LAW AND ENDANGERING EVERYONE ON THE ROAD BECAUSE SPEEDING :siren:, and then you get a nice love letter from your local friendly police precinct a couple weeks later? When I was in HS like 17 years ago, we actually had a cop come in to talk to the class about something, and I asked her this point blank in front of everyone. She dodged the question. :(