Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Gunslinger: CCTS is what you're looking for. I would contact them since this does seem to be shady Wind behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

ForkSniper posted:

I browsed that website and didn't see anywhere that says that they put IMEI's on the blacklist-they let you check up to 2 imei's per day so you can see if its blacklisted or not. To get it on the blacklist you are supposed to call customer service of your carrier to report your phone lost or stolen at which point they put it on the list. To get it off you call them up again. I'm not sure what scenario you are envisioning in which an IMEI is put on the list erroneously.

Sucks to be the victim of poor foresight, doesn't it. Since the list is controlled by the carrier, your only recourse is to convince them that they made a mistake. Good luck.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Sounds like by offering a credit, Wind is acknowledging a fuckup. Case for the CCTS?

edit beaten

ante fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 14, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Ok I'll refer him to that then. I just can't believe this even happened in the first place. What kind of idiot offers to replace his phone then walks it back and offers some lovely little credit while also demanding he pay the tab on the stolen phone they loving sold him as brand new. Unreal. That's some poo poo I would have expected from Rogers.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Looks like I am on month to month with Bell now, are there any good deals on right now? I'm mostly happy with my nexus 4, so I don't have a burning need to upgrade. Right now I'm looking at getting that Koodo sk plan

Located in Calgary, Need unlimited texts and at least 1g of data. 90% of my calling is evenings/weekends, so unlimited during those times would be great.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Been a Rogers customer since 2006, and I just called to see how much to buy out the rest of my contract so I can switch to Koodo prepaid. Ended up with $10 off my monthly bill for a year, which will carry me until my contract expires in November, and then adios Rogers. Based on my usage, I figure I get away with spending $640/year on Koodo pay as you go boosters and base plans, and I'll take $53/month vs $75 with Rogers any day. Plus if I'm super stingy with my data use and just use Wifi, I can get away with a hell of a lot less.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I'll check into it tomorrow, but I can confirm that phones are indeed sent from a central source; we've sometimes received devices locked to Telus. That said, I've never heard of anyone getting USED ones shipped to them. Typically mistakes like that are communicated to stores and the stores ship the phones back. Also, the clear plastic sticker that "sealed" the box is not a good indicator of fresh packaging. Blackberry boxes often come with spare stickers for resealing. The altered BBM is also a huge red flag, as BBM is unique to your device.

Definitely mention it to the CCTS, and has he spoken to the manager of the Wind store yet? Because the fact that there is altered BBM info on the phone pretty much proves, blacklist or no, that the phone was used. They sold you a used phone with someone's info on it, that should be enough. The fact that it is blacklisted is even worse. That Wind store sold you the phone under the pretext that is was not used/blacklisted, so they need to fix that. Even if Wind didn't know they had received a stolen phone, it's not like you can just call their loving distribution center to complain. Wind is the only one who can do that. Don't bother speaking to anyone but a manager in this case.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
He's already talked to the office of the president and everyone is just passing the buck. He was offered a $80 service credit and they didn't even bother to send him a new phone. I told him to contact the papers and the CCTS, he already got a response from the Toronto Star so hopefully that spurs Wind to stop being a bunch of scumbags.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Let me run this scenario past you guys:

- I have a company provided iPhone 4S that is giving me some trouble. We're with Telus.
- I would like to upgrade to a Nokia Lumia 625 which is apparently $200 with no term as listed on their website.
- I'm pretty sure my company could swing an upgrade, but I don't want to get my company involved since I'd like to keep this phone if I ever leave. My goal is just to get a Telus locked phone for now and use it with the SIM card that is in my iPhone.

So my question:

If Telus is offering the phone for $200 with no term, does that mean that they are not subsidizing it in any way? If so, do we know if Telus will sell a phone outright without signing up for a new plan, even one with no term?

If not, what is the feasibility of signing up for some crap plan with no term to get the phone at full price, then cancelling it immediately?

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that I don't really want to use, and the Telus trade-in value appears to be about $70 according to their calculator. How does this figure into the above, if at all?

Sorry if this is a mess of a question. I really should be asking a Telus rep, and I will once I have time to meander to a Telus store, unless you guys know for sure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not familiar with Telus specifically, but usually those no contract prices still expect a month to month plan. They'll sell it to you for around $200, but it might be a bit more.

Probably for less than it would cost to pay a month of a plan though (since that's, what? $80 now?)

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Martytoof posted:

If Telus is offering the phone for $200 with no term, does that mean that they are not subsidizing it in any way? If so, do we know if Telus will sell a phone outright without signing up for a new plan, even one with no term?

The "No term" price is typically for new month to month activations. You could probably sign up and cancel the cheapest plan, but after Connection Fee, at least 30 days of service fees and your time and effort, it's probably just easier to pay the outright price which is typically $50 higher then the no term price.

You just have to find a store that's willing to sell outright; policies will very from location to location. Call or visit your nearest corporate, dealer and/or bestbuy/futureshop type stores until you score. A couple years ago I bought a Telus phone outright from BestBuy, the reps there had no issue doing that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks guys, I'll try BestBuy tomorrow. Worst case they just say no and I keep trying elsewhere.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

reflex posted:

Been a Rogers customer since 2006, and I just called to see how much to buy out the rest of my contract so I can switch to Koodo prepaid. Ended up with $10 off my monthly bill for a year, which will carry me until my contract expires in November, and then adios Rogers. Based on my usage, I figure I get away with spending $640/year on Koodo pay as you go boosters and base plans, and I'll take $53/month vs $75 with Rogers any day. Plus if I'm super stingy with my data use and just use Wifi, I can get away with a hell of a lot less.

Keep in mind as well that in the past, Koodo has done double minute/data promotions every couple months. Since you can stack multiple "boosters", you can theoretically stock up for a long time at half price.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Once my Rogers contract expired I ported over to Koodo's prepaid. Best move ever. For the year, I'll be saving more than 50% compared to Rogers.
If you can keep an eye on usage, I feel Koodo is the way to go. I really only need data when I'm out to check emails and maps. Otherwise, I'm constantly around an internet connection. When I'm home, I'll use Fongo for phone calls. It may not work for everyone especially if you're constantly in need of using your phone but for my situation it's great

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Let me run this scenario past you guys:

- I have a company provided iPhone 4S that is giving me some trouble. We're with Telus.
- I would like to upgrade to a Nokia Lumia 625 which is apparently $200 with no term as listed on their website.
- I'm pretty sure my company could swing an upgrade, but I don't want to get my company involved since I'd like to keep this phone if I ever leave. My goal is just to get a Telus locked phone for now and use it with the SIM card that is in my iPhone.

So my question:

If not, what is the feasibility of signing up for some crap plan with no term to get the phone at full price, then cancelling it immediately?

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that I don't really want to use, and the Telus trade-in value appears to be about $70 according to their calculator. How does this figure into the above, if at all?

Sorry if this is a mess of a question. I really should be asking a Telus rep, and I will once I have time to meander to a Telus store, unless you guys know for sure.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, this is a very simple transaction.

Assuming you have authority on your work account with Telus, you walk into a store and ask to buy the Nokia phone outright. As hard as it is to believe, you are actually allowed to do this. You are a Telus customer and have an account for them to activate it on, so there should be no trouble here. You sure as hell do not need to activate a whole extra line to do this. How do you suppose people who break their phones a week after buying them get new ones?

You can also use your Galaxy S3 for trade in value if you like. If they said it's worth $70, they'll apply $70 (before taxes) as a payment to your purchase in store. That should be no problem, assuming the store participates in the trade in program (not sure if Best Buy or whatever does. Any actual Telus store should)

The only requirement is to get your company to allow you to have authority to switch phones on your work account if you don't already. This transaction will have no impact on your company's account in any way, and I'm assuming you are paying for this phone fully with your own money, so there's no reason why your company wouldn't let you keep the Nokia phone, since it will technically be your property.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So what small Androids are not lovely and available with Bell or Telus (I guess I could switch to Telus)?

I've heard decent things about the Sony Z1 Compact, but it looks like I'd have to get it from somewhere else? Does anyone have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and like it? With the S5 coming soon I wonder if an S5 mini is far behind.

I guess the Nexus 5 isn't too big, so I might go with that. But I'd really prefer something smaller if it's not a lot worse.

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 16, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OilSlick posted:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, this is a very simple transaction.

Assuming you have authority on your work account with Telus, you walk into a store and ask to buy the Nokia phone outright. As hard as it is to believe, you are actually allowed to do this. You are a Telus customer and have an account for them to activate it on, so there should be no trouble here. You sure as hell do not need to activate a whole extra line to do this. How do you suppose people who break their phones a week after buying them get new ones?

You can also use your Galaxy S3 for trade in value if you like. If they said it's worth $70, they'll apply $70 (before taxes) as a payment to your purchase in store. That should be no problem, assuming the store participates in the trade in program (not sure if Best Buy or whatever does. Any actual Telus store should)

The only requirement is to get your company to allow you to have authority to switch phones on your work account if you don't already. This transaction will have no impact on your company's account in any way, and I'm assuming you are paying for this phone fully with your own money, so there's no reason why your company wouldn't let you keep the Nokia phone, since it will technically be your property.

Went in and did this today and it wasn't even as difficult as that. Didn't get any authority from my company. Just went in, asked if they had the 625, told them I wanted to buy it outright and that was that. They didn't even check if I had a Telus account :q:

I was more worried that there were still going to be loopholes with the unsubsidized price, but nope. Easy peasy :)

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

I think my post got lost on the bottom of the last page. Does anyone know if I can still get a Lumia 620 anywhere or do I have to pay twice as much for the 625 like the guy above me?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, neither Bell nor Telus people here know anything about a Xperia Z1 Compact I guess I could just buy it outright. I don't know why I bother going into the stores anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh hey awesome, I just realized Telus doesn't enable Visual Voicemail for anything but iPhones :mad:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Martytoof posted:

Oh hey awesome, I just realized Telus doesn't enable Visual Voicemail for anything but iPhones :mad:

I thought only iPhones had it :confused:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lexicon posted:

I know at least WinPhone supports VVM; I'm fairly sure Android does it too. I'm guessing it's not the same implementation as iOS but still.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lexicon posted:

Rogers provides visual voice mail for Android. It used to be garbage like all Rogers apps but works flawlessly for me these days. It also does voice to text translation so I often don't even need to hear it.

For those asking about Bell phones, I think the Z2 is by far the best. Pissed Sony went exclusive.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

WARNING: Rogers has just increased their no contract bring-your-own-device unlimited plan from $40 to $50. If you want an entry to mid-level device with Rogers, there are literally no savings by purchasing the device outright. Purchasing a high end device outright will save some money on your plan but not recoup the savings of getting a contract discount within two years. This is the second time they've raised the price on this plan this year, and the second $10 bump in a major plan within a couple months. This hasn't happened for the other carriers yet, but given their idea of competing, there's a good chance it will happen with them too.

gently caress this industry scares me sometimes.

If you are planning to sign up with any of the other two major carriers for a month to month plan, do it now before they increase the price too.

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

OilSlick posted:

If you are planning to sign up with any of the other two major carriers for a month to month plan, do it now before they increase the price too.

How long before that happens? Two months? Let's check back on this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone know what these strange caller ids are:

V4261353540000

?

loving rear end in a top hat called me at 5am and it rang despite me having do not disturb set on my iPhone. I have been seeing these type of weird numbers a lot lately.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

priznat posted:

Does anyone know what these strange caller ids are:

V4261353540000

?

loving rear end in a top hat called me at 5am and it rang despite me having do not disturb set on my iPhone. I have been seeing these type of weird numbers a lot lately.

The first one beginning with the V is the ID for an electronic dialer used by telemarketers, I imagine the other one is as well. I think that since it's not a standardized phone number DND would let it through.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Geektox posted:

I think that since it's not a standardized phone number DND would let it through.

That doesn't really make sense, the only exceptions DND is supposed to make are for those on your favourites, and only if you've turned that setting on.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've seen stuff like Skype calls to mobile show up as a number starting with 1.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I need a cheap SIM card for my mum when she visits at the end of May. It needs to give her about 100 minutes of calls, some texts and at least 100mb of data (but preferably more). It would be ideal if it also worked in Alaska because that's where she'll be for a few days too. She only needs it for 18 days so it doesn't have to have a long expiry on credit.

Any recommendations?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nuntius posted:

I need a cheap SIM card for my mum when she visits at the end of May. It needs to give her about 100 minutes of calls, some texts and at least 100mb of data (but preferably more). It would be ideal if it also worked in Alaska because that's where she'll be for a few days too. She only needs it for 18 days so it doesn't have to have a long expiry on credit.

Any recommendations?

Koodo would be $30: http://koodomobile.com/en/bc/plansandboosters.shtml

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ugh, just missed a sale on NCIX for an Xperia Z1 Compact. I'm pretty sure that's the phone I'll get and would have loved to get it from them as I've never been disappointed.

Now I just have to figure out the best place to buy it from. What trustworthy Canadian retailers have phones for cheap?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

odiv posted:

Ugh, just missed a sale on NCIX for an Xperia Z1 Compact. I'm pretty sure that's the phone I'll get and would have loved to get it from them as I've never been disappointed.

Now I just have to figure out the best place to buy it from. What trustworthy Canadian retailers have phones for cheap?

Amazon? Looks pretty expensive though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

odiv posted:

How cheap are we talking here?
Getting an unlocked Nexus 5 directly from Google is $150 cheaper than getting it from the cartel.
And it's half the price of every other flagship phone.

But it's still $350...

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, according to RedFlagDeals it was on for $460 on NCIX from the 24th. Whoops.

I'll keep searching around I guess.

Edit: yeah, I might just cave and get the Nexus from Google. Too bad they don't ship here.

odiv fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 29, 2014

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

I'm going to be spending a weekend in Toronto next month, and I'd like to get a prepaid SIM for my Nexus 5 while I'm there. I'm on the prepaid T-Mobile dork plan in the US, so I don't have any options available to me from them.

I don't need minutes, and I can do texting from Google Voice, so I'm just looking at getting a decent bucket of data (500MB to a 1GB.) I've tried researching some of this, but I'm not entirely certain on everything.

What's the best way for me to get data service for my device?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

odiv posted:

Yeah, according to RedFlagDeals it was on for $460 on NCIX from the 24th. Whoops.

I'll keep searching around I guess.

Edit: yeah, I might just cave and get the Nexus from Google. Too bad they don't ship here.

I ordered my Nexus from Google and they shipped to Canada. Do you live somewhere really far off?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I live in Yellowknife. My co-worker had to get his Nexus 5 shipped to a family member in Alberta instead.

Then again, I was just speaking to another guy who said he had no problems getting a Chromecast shipped here recently, so maybe things have changed.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I suppose it's hopeless to try to appeal to Rogers when going ever so slightly over your data plan? I've got 6 gigs and just noticed it says 100mb left with the last 12 hours omitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

leidend posted:

I suppose it's hopeless to try to appeal to Rogers when going ever so slightly over your data plan? I've got 6 gigs and just noticed it says 100mb left with the last 12 hours omitted.

If it's anything like their internet plans it's 24-48 hours out of date, and you're already over.
And yes, they're anal enough to get every last mb from your account.