Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was directly quoting Shaun of the Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

DetoxP posted:

Literally nobody ever sat down and made an educated choice about which temperature scale to use and then stuck with it.

Except every time a country was doing it one way, looked at the options and switched over to Celsius.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kelvin is the superior temperature scale because it starts at the beginning.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fahrenheit is literally incomprehensible to me, someone raised on the proper temperature scale. I know 98.6 is body temperature and that's about it.

But anyway, movie questions. There is a movie called Fahrenheit 451. Are there any movies about celsius?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

marktheando posted:

Fahrenheit is literally incomprehensible to me, someone raised on the proper temperature scale. I know 98.6 is body temperature and that's about it.

But anyway, movie questions. There is a movie called Fahrenheit 451. Are there any movies about celsius?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

marktheando posted:

imdb comes up with, from cold to quite hot:

8 Grad Celsius
Shanghai 37.2 Degrees Centigrade
Atambua 39° Celsius

i've seen none of them

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Looking for some good sources for research on the following subjects:

-Late silent film (I have Kevin Brownlow's The Parade's Gone By but that's about it)
-Early sound film
-Universal horror
-Los Angeles of the 1920s and 1930s

Plus some other subjects that aren't strictly film-related, such as:

-The history of plastic surgery
-The history of psychedelics
-The history of the American fashion industry

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Criminal Minded posted:

City of Quartz is probably the most famous (or infamous) look at the history of Los Angeles, and would cover that time period as well. It's hard not to recommend this book, even if I might not agree with all of Davie's positions. It was practically required reading when I was in college for anything to do with Los Angeles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Quartz

Edit: looks like there is a new edition that deals with the post 1992 riots. No idea if that new material is any good - Davies (and the book) became fairly famous for predicting the riots a few years before they happened, so I could see that sort of attention really skewing his look at the more recent history of the city.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Looking for some good sources for research on the following subjects:

-Late silent film (I have Kevin Brownlow's The Parade's Gone By but that's about it)
-Early sound film
-Universal horror

Plus some other subjects that aren't strictly film-related, such as:

-The history of plastic surgery
-The history of psychedelics
-The history of the American fashion industry

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd be greatly appreciative.

For the first two, check out The History of the American Cinema volumes "An Evening's Entertainment" and "The Talkies". The former is mostly on 1920s American silent film. The Talkies covers the transition period from 1926-1931. As for worldwide, there's some good stuff in David Cook's A History of Narrative Film that covers more than just America. If you can use video material, look for the Brownlow/Gill documentary Cinema Europe. Six hour miniseries - it's a bit brief compared to the 13-part Hollywood series, but it does have episodes devoted just to Sweden/Denmark, Germany, France, England, as well as one on early pioneers and another on the transition period to sound. Highlight would be interviews with Jules Kruger, one of the cinematographers on Napoleon showing one of the cameras he used.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

as I recall, The Monster Show by David J Skal had some interesting stuff about Universal Horror, in particular Tod Browning.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I just watched Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and this was bothering me.

Towards the end of the film, Chuck discovers that Patricia is the mole. She tries to poison him by lacing his coffee, and marks it with a sugar cube. Chuck, predicting this, swaps the cups. Patricia, predicting Chuck would do this, swaps them back. But then she still takes the poison cup. What happened there?

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Actually Chuck doesn't switch the cups. He just moves the sugar cube so it looks like he did. Then when she switches the cups, she's giving herself the poison.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Why do superhero movie previews have so much honking?

The villain appears

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

The premise is stated

The protagonists look hopeless

I just saw the new Captain Murrica and I think the previews averaged 8 honks a piece.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

Why do superhero movie previews have so much honking?

The villain appears

The premise is stated

The protagonists look hopeless

I just saw the new Captain Murrica and I think the previews averaged 8 honks a piece.

The Inception trailer popularized the horn (though arguably the original teaser for Alien used it first) and hack marketing people have been aping it ever since. Kind of like how ever since The Social Network came out graphic designers have been ripping off its poster.

If you haven't seen the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy it's pretty great because they riff on it by having a booming action movie trailer remix of Hooked on the Feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I suppose I could look some of this stuff up from real-life examples, but I'd rather not since I'm already feeling a bit queasy for unrelated reasons:

I've recently watched three pieces of media that dealt with cannibalism; a movie (We Are What We Are) and an X-Files episode (Our Town), and the book version of World War Z. In each one, the people-into-food transformation is generally depicted as a Bucket Of Stew.

Without all the grisly details, I'm wondering what the origin of that depiction is. Reality? Some older property chose it for design reasons ("How can we depict people eating human flesh without someone gnawing on a thigh bone prop") that everyone else just replicated until it became the go-to thing?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 14, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It sort of ties into the idea of "mystery meat", aka the sense that you don't really know what they're feeding you and it could be a wild variety of things.

It helps that traditionally stews are literally a wide variety of things by nature since they're all of the leftover stuff put together in a pot to boil.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

It sort of ties into the idea of "mystery meat", aka the sense that you don't really know what they're feeding you and it could be a wild variety of things.

It helps that traditionally stews are literally a wide variety of things by nature since they're all of the leftover stuff put together in a pot to boil.

Now I really want a movie about a cannibal in the Midwest who turns his victims into casserole.

Also, if you want some really good food photography re: Cannibalism, watch the Hannibal show on NBC right now.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Now I really want a movie about a cannibal in the Midwest who turns his victims into casserole.

Call it "Cannibal Hot Dish" and I'm all over it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I watched Gravity (on DVD) earlier today and noticed something odd. I had the subtitles on and probably 5-10% of the dialogue was not being emitted from my TV speaker. Are they releasing DVDs now that require stereo sound or something?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Call it "Cannibal Hot Dish" and I'm all over it.

Lutemanniska.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Back a bit, but...

Skwirl posted:

Actually, the trailer for Godzilla (2014 d.p. Seamus McGarvey) explicitly mentions awakening something in 1954, the same year Gojira (1954 d.p. Masao Tamai) came out. Also when and why did that become the semi-official title for the 1954 original, instead of Godzilla? I understand that you're transliterating Japanese to English, and when you hear people in the old movie say the monsters name it's easy to hear it either way, but why did someone somewhere decide to make the switch fifty-ish years later, but only in reference to the original film.

I think it's mostly used to distinguish it from the Americanized version with all of the Raymond Burr footage added in. It also gives the original more of a mystique-- it's not a Godzilla movie like those fifty other movies where he battles giant moths and space robots, it's Gojira, a nuclear weapon allegory that is beloved by art house film enthusiasts.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Anyone else have an opinion about the movie 'Enemy'? (Context is I have read many reviews and, while I might have perhaps missed some, I haven't seen this interpretation of events) I mean some dude said it was about the world slowly being invaded by spiders cause of all the talk about dictatorships. I am going off of spiders being a representation of his deep guilt.

So, Adam and Anthony have to be the same person, just two sides of the same coin. Having the same scar is kind of the kicker for me, and on the same side so they weren't conjoined twins. His mom confirms he was her 'only son'. Also, his mom asks him to give up acting and stay as a teacher in that one scene (ding ding!). I think the real story is that one of the two personalities (in his double life) is a married man with a deeply sexually perverse appetite. He goes to those crush fetish shows (or whatever they are) and cheats on his pregnant wife (she accuses him of seeing 'her' again, so he makes up a story about some crazy fan). The other side is a normal guy with a girlfriend and a 'real' job (no offense to actors!). How does he do both things? Well, the acting is a good excuse to get out of the house (auditions, filming) but notice the security guard says 'You haven't been here in six months!' when he stops by the agency representing him to pick up his mail. His girlfriend only comes over at night and comes and goes randomly. He is depressed and wracked with guilt over his sins and infidelities, distracted at work. The girlfriend even pushes him off of her once, angry for no apparent reason (well, she says ow!). I would say this is because he gets his personalities mixed up, and is being the more sexually aggressive Anthony personality with her, and it freaks her out a bit. The two sides of him fight in his head, and NO ONE SEES THEM BOTH TOGETHER, save them (that I can recall). I think the hotel room meet is him coming to terms with both sides of himself, he sees the woman in the skirt leaving, bringing out his Anthony side.. that must be the place of his extra marital (and extra-girlfirend) one night stands. He is Adam, but he always has a destructive side, Anthony, who is ruining his life with his behavior and lusts. The personalities start to bleed over into each other. The wife starts to prefer the 'normal' version after she meets it at school, and asks him if he had a good day at school and to 'stay', as in please be this man, the one I can rely on and love. She sees him at the college, discovers his 'other life' and he doesn't even notice her as being his wife, or pretends not to. She tells Anthony, "I saw 'Adam' at his work, and he looks exactly like you. He says he doesn't understand, but she says, "I think you understand, Anthony." She caught him, he can pretend he wasn't caught, but she knows it isn't some random doppelganger (unless this is more existential than I think) I think it's pretty straight forward. The Anthony side starts to seduce the girlfriend, and she discovers his secret, too. She sees the ring mark. He is married. Her asking "Who are you" is just her way of saying, "you are married and lying to me, I don't even know you anymore!" because she gets in the car with him. If he was a stranger she never would have done this. They fight and forced with facing who he really is and the guilt of it all, they 'crash', and Anthony-personality dies (nice spidering glass effect), leaving only Adam with his wife, who should have been together all along. He chooses his wife ultimately and tries to bury Anthony. But! He opens the key, and Anthony starts to reawaken. He says he has to 'go out', so he is back to his old way of life, or thinking about it again. A giant spider sits in his parlor, again, all spiders in the film being a representation of guilt, and he is back in its web, big time, it is now all consuming, ready to strike and completely destroy him the second he slips up again.

Anyone else get this? There were lots of clues to this being the general storyline (I think)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh thanks for reminding me that Enemy is out on demand. I'm a big Saramago fan and I've been looking forward to this adaptation for a while.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's a pretty good take even if I'm not one for that kind of storytelling. I always find "x is all in y's head!" or "x is y's split personality!" a little too pat, but here's what I said about it in the old general chat:

Honestly, I think the movie lays it on a little thick by directly quoting Hegel and Marx right at the beginning.

However, there's an unmarked "twist" after Adam discovers Anthony (I forget which is which). There's an ambiguity about it, but I think we're meant to see their dreams in parallel not knowing which is which - we think Adam is sort of this rotten poo poo because he's kind of awkward with his girlfriend (Mary?), and juxtaposed with the whole crushing thing, you're already judging him as a weirdo who can't relate to women. Then, as Anthony (the actor, again I forget which) reveals who he is, we realize suddenly that the tarantula is part of his fantasy/nightmare, and Adam has been dreaming about Anthony's pregnant wife, so there's this sense of this life he's been denying himself because he's too meek, he can't commit because he's a coward, then he meets this Id figure and is basically forced at gunpoint to take on this frightening fantasy of being his dream woman's lover/provider.

Also, part of what's unsettling throughout the second act of the film is what each character knows; when he visits his mom she "knows" about Anthony (because she seems to confuse the two), later on, Helen asks him "how was school?", and so on. There's a relief when Anthony and Mary are killed but to leave that out there and sympathize with how he's got what he's wanted is just setting up that fantastic ending shot. There's still something to be reckoned with. What has he let happen to him? Helen definitely knows him, but she's his "dream woman" after all.

So while I don't like that kind of storytelling, I like the ideas behind it, because I concur in a less concrete way. Adam has discovered a side of himself he'd been too afraid to confront. Either take on it supports that, but generally I think the idea of a doppleganger is legit enough that there's no need for it to be a schizophrenic delusion. I think the film suggests that but only just.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Well said, Beast, that is a good write up, thanks! I might need to watch it again!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Has anyone here watched any of the movies in the Cinematic category from this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_films_by_running_time

And, if so, would you recommend it?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

regulargonzalez posted:

Has anyone here watched any of the movies in the Cinematic category from this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_films_by_running_time

Sátántangó is probably the best film I've ever seen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Best of Youth was was a pretty good 20th-century Italian family saga, but it's also really just a miniseries that got screened in theaters.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

regulargonzalez posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about Out 1, Shoah is a masterpiece, Sátántangó is apparently incredible, Abel Gance's Napoleon is pretty nifty, Cleopatra is stupidly huge but entertaining enough, 1900 is supposed to be good, and Fanny and Alexander is essential cinema. Suggested long films that aren't on the list: Scenes from a Marriage, Nymphomaniac, Jeanne Dielmann, Once Upon A Time In America. Also, not a film but Einstein on the Beach is a long thing that everyone should see.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about Out 1, Shoah is a masterpiece, Sátántangó is apparently incredible, Abel Gance's Napoleon is pretty nifty, Cleopatra is stupidly huge but entertaining enough, 1900 is supposed to be good, and Fanny and Alexander is essential cinema. Suggested long films that aren't on the list: Scenes from a Marriage, Nymphomaniac, Jeanne Dielmann, Once Upon A Time In America. Also, not a film but Einstein on the Beach is a long thing that everyone should see.

Thanks (and to everyone else too)! The last I'm actually familiar with as I'm a huge opera buff. That said, I think Satyagraha is the superior Philip Glass work. And if we're throwing opera into the mix, The Ring Cycle is probably the greatest long work I've ever experienced.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Satyagraha is definitely more lusciously emotional but I'm also a giant Robert Wilson fan.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
La Commune is one of my favorite films ever, ditto Satantango. Shoah in total may be longer than they (because there are four other films that branch off from Shoah) list there. Hitler, A Film From Germany is pretty amazing, too.

ZenMaster posted:

Well said, Beast, that is a good write up, thanks! I might need to watch it again!

I really want to see it again, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 17, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Echoing what others have said but yeah Satantango and Fanny And Alexander are both goddamn brilliant.

I've still only gotten an hour into Shoah because it's (obviously) crushingly depressing. I need to try another go at it soon.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Yeah, Fanny & Alexander might be in the top 10 greatest movies ever. Les Vampires is fun but frankly it's kind of unbearably slow. I know this sounds awful but it's a silent film and it's way more entertaining if you watch it sped up slightly, but I don't think it's necessary viewing outside the historical context.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Hitler: A Film from Germany is crazy good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I really need to see that one, it looks really loving strange every time I come across it at the library.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

I've gone and watched two other Syberberg flicks (Parsifal is good, Karl May is really good). Neither is quite as good as "Our Hitler".

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I really need to see that one, it looks really loving strange every time I come across it at the library.

Luckily it's explicitly in four parts, I saw the whole thing at once in an afternoon but taking long intermissions doesn't break up the flow such as it is.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

It's also one of those movies that you can pretty much tell in the first five minutes or so whether you're gonna be able to go along for the whole thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Each part has a centerpiece, so it's structured very well for a movie pushing eight hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Each part has a centerpiece, so it's structured very well for a movie pushing eight hours.

Satantango and Andrei Rublev (maybe my favorite 3+ hour movie) are like this too.

I watched the full Fanny and Alexander in basically one sitting though and that was amazing.