Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

GNU Order posted:

Don't know if they still do it but Game Grumps used to accept and play games that fans sent in

Highwang posted:

Someone already mentioned that the Grumps get stuff already, but I've heard rumors that they also sell off some of the fan-stuff they get since they barely have enough room already.

Yeah, the Grumps put a "thank you" to everyone who sent them a copy of the game they're playing in the first video of a series. Most of the stuff they sell off is excess games; for a little while there was a running gag about "the Glover pile" because they just had so many copies of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Honestly, I'm not personally of the belief that 2BFP has a markedly better fanbase than others, even including Restupurae. Frankly, at PAX, meeting other groups and their fans, I felt pretty loving lucky to have the fans that we do, especially compared to some of the fandoms I saw there. Another big YouTube LPer, AllShamNoWow, actually complimented us on our comments section being that there's funny poo poo in there from time to time.

I'm not saying 2BFP doesn't have good fans, I just don't think the mailbag is any indication that their fans are better than average.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

GNU Order posted:

Don't know if they still do it but Game Grumps used to accept and play games that fans sent in

Wait so I could send them lovely games like Superman 64 or Glover or something and they'd play it.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

PAMaster posted:

Wait so I could send them lovely games like Superman 64 or Glover or something and they'd play it.

Check the list first. No idea how often or who updates this. They apparently already have both.

I can't believe this list.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
They'd still probably beat it before Proton Jon does, too. Whatever happened to that thread?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Suspicious Dish posted:

They'd still probably beat it before Proton Jon does, too. Whatever happened to that thread?
Proton Jon abandoned both and I seem to recall he toxxed himself into not being able to make another or something. He's a busy man who needs what with his Mario romhacks and chat panels.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

PAMaster posted:

They already played Glover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArnYKNnSQaI

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 15, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Niggurath posted:

Proton Jon abandoned both and I seem to recall he toxxed himself into not being able to make another or something. He's a busy man who needs what with his Mario romhacks and chat panels.

I guess Jon likes to Runaway from all his problems, eh? Eh?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Suspicious Dish posted:

Slowbeef banned him from making anymore Superman 64 threads cause his updates were basically non-existent.

Just to give you some perspective on how slow he is, the last video update was Jan 31, 2013.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think the Retsupurae fans have gotten better over the years to be honest. Sure if there was a mailbag I'd expect there to be a lot of Mike Dawson stuff or something, but considering the content and what some people misinterpret it to be I'm honestly surprised at how little happens from the fans in a negative sense.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

bobjr posted:

I think the Retsupurae fans have gotten better over the years to be honest. Sure if there was a mailbag I'd expect there to be a lot of Mike Dawson stuff or something, but considering the content and what some people misinterpret it to be I'm honestly surprised at how little happens from the fans in a negative sense.
RP cannot open a mailbag because their pockets are not as deep as John Mayor's. Plus people would think it'd be funny to send them slabs of meat all the time and notes that read "did you kill rita" or some old-as-gently caress joke like that. It just wouldn't work out well.

SnakemanMn fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 15, 2014

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Jesus Christ, they didn't even finish the first level. They were literally seconds away, too! Are all their videos like that?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MGN001 posted:

Jesus Christ, they didn't even finish the first level. They were literally seconds away, too! Are all their videos like that?

They've spent at least 12 minutes stuck on the second boss of BroForce.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MGN001 posted:

In their defense, it is Glover after all.

I still don't know how I got so far in it as a kid.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

MGN001 posted:

They were never very good at games, but they usually got further than the beginning, at least. If they really liked a game, they'd sometimes end up finishing it. As someone who used to watch Game Grumps, I did it because JonTron and Egoraptor were both people who's stuff I enjoyed watching, and I had a fun time watching them play games together. Not because they sucked at video games, but because they usually had pretty entertaining commentary, regardless of their inability to play platforming games from the 90s. Though there was, like, one game where they sucked so much that they spent the entire video sitting in the tutorial and complaining and it was pretty awful.

I'm definitely not going to defend their skills at video games. They were always pretty awful, and even with JonTron gone and replaced by another dude entirely, they still really suck at them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Colonel posted:

Though there was, like, one game where they sucked so much that they spent the entire video sitting in the tutorial and complaining and it was pretty awful.

To be fair, they clearly try to put the present into the fire multiple times, but the prompt either didn't show up or they were at slightly the wrong angle. I'll defend that one to the end :colbert:

Not to say they're not terrible at video games, but that specific instance was at least as much the game's fault as it was theirs. They knew what they needed to do, but couldn't do it properly. If you want an example of them just being terrible, watch the Rogue Squadron videos. They spend the entire episode shooting at the buildings they need to defend, and crashing into the ground, then say the game sucks when they get a game over because the city was destroyed.

I love the grumps and all but holy crap that video. At least Danny jacks down the negativity a lot since he started.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
The big thing about how bad at video games the Grumps are is, they aren't very good at both playing games AND being entertaining at the same time, so they prioritize being entertaining (I'll leave it up to you if they succeed or fail at that, but I think Jon was better at it). Barry is the exception; on the rare occasions when they do Steam Rolled he wins very consistently because he can be funny AND play at the same time.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Does Egoraptor still get bitchy about old games being better because they didn't need tutorials while needing a tutorial on how to play said old games?

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Danny made GameGrumps much more tolerable to watch/listen to in my opinion. Something about Jon just...wasn't good most the time. I can't remember which game they played but they just did nothing but bitch about it and compare it to a previous entry in the series and it just got annoying to even listen to. Of course this could also apply to several of the games they did. Like mentioned before Danny brings down the negativity, and is on average a lot more funnier.

Bonus that he is also a great singer. :allears:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think Jon vs Danny is the Joel vs Mike of Grumps, neither one's really "better" or "worse" than the other objectively, but everyone has an opinion on which one was their favorite. I actually think they're both funny and am sad that we never got a chance to hear Jon and Danny be funny together.

One thing one of my friends did say about Jon that Danny has an advantage over him, is that with Jon Arin had a tendency to go off on these long nostalgia tangents that didn't really contribute to the discussion and weren't that entertaining; Dan, either consciously or just by virtue of being a fundamentally different guy than Jon, is better at not triggering those.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

bobjr posted:

I actually would've posted a miniature Rock Knight with an axe-guitar thing.

They'd probably already have enough Ridley figures anyway.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

It took hearing that Game Grumps spent way too long getting the first goddamn badge in Pokémon Fire Red for me to realize they weren't worth my time.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The main problem I have with the GameGrumps is that most of their videos go completely against Egoraptor's own videos that talk about teaching the player via gameplay instead of tutorials, yet here they are ignoring those gameplay segments completely and at times acting like they're beyond even the most retard-friendly tutorials any game can come up with. That, plus they keep posting videos where they make zero progress.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Does Egoraptor still get bitchy about old games being better because they didn't need tutorials while needing a tutorial on how to play said old games?

In other words, basically this.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Daily reminder that it's hard to play vidya games while talking (Exhibit A is slowbeef's Metroid Prime LP). I'm sure Arin is not the world's best game player but the Problem, as it is, is that Game Grumps is a lot more focused on entertaining banter than actually doing things in the game or, heaven forbid, saying things about it. So when they get stuck somewhere, they'll halfheartedly wander around while keeping up the talk and occasionally stating something akin to "What is even happening right now" or "This game sucks".

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Zeether posted:

It took hearing that Game Grumps spent way too long getting the first goddamn badge in Pokémon Fire Red for me to realize they weren't worth my time.

On the contrary I actually very much enjoy their run of Fire Red. I had thought that I would initially dread it looking back at Arin and Jon's go at Emerald but this has actually been a pretty fun watch. I've really liked watching Danny learn about Pokemon from Arin, and unlike many many other Pokemon LPs I've seen they're actually having a lot of fun with the game. It was sad to hear that they lost a lot of queued up footage recently.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Amppelix posted:

Daily reminder that it's hard to play vidya games while talking (Exhibit A is slowbeef's Metroid Prime LP). I'm sure Arin is not the world's best game player but the Problem, as it is, is that Game Grumps is a lot more focused on entertaining banter than actually doing things in the game or, heaven forbid, saying things about it. So when they get stuck somewhere, they'll halfheartedly wander around while keeping up the talk and occasionally stating something akin to "What is even happening right now" or "This game sucks".

Let us not forget about this infamous incident. It was naughty in a way. Even YouTube was against this, because they didn't read instructions and couldn't get out of the first room. They pulled a DSP, basically.

If I recall, JonTron later went on Twitter and complained about people abusing the Dislike button because of this video.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I went and watched some of the Gaming Grumps after every second person in the thread was posting about how funny and entertaining they are.

Now I don't trust any of your opinions, that Towerfall video was anti-humor.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

I went and watched some of the Gaming Grumps after every second person in the thread was posting about how funny and entertaining they are.

Goons have really lovely taste.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Lazyfire posted:

I really thought they were alright in the beginning! I think their first LP was of Mega Man 7, and it had some pretty good moments! Egoraptor made some neat animations of some moments, as well, which I thought was a nice touch.

It kinda started to fall apart when Sonic 06 came along, for me. I didn't last through that LP. I haven't watched them since the other guy came in to replace JonTron.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They're thoroughly mediocre, essentially. From time to time they stumble upon a combination that's hilarious (as evidenced by some of their fan animations) but watching a long-running series to find them is a slog.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
I remember liking them power through Skyrim in hardly anytime at all, showing off a ton of sequence breaking glitches. Also the Randy Savage Dragon mod.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mr DJB posted:

I remember liking them power through Skyrim in hardly anytime at all, showing off a ton of sequence breaking glitches. Also the Randy Savage Dragon mod.
My only complaint about their Skyrim videos is when they fast forward through the speedrun tactics bits. The rest of it is great. But then, I like Ross and Danny better than Erin.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Sonic 06 was pretty great when it wasn't just them being bad at playing video games, because then it was them being horribly confused and amazed by how buggy and horribly designed everything in the game is.

Nksor
Feb 1, 2013
To those who brought up the Game Grumps selling their games:

They "sold" their games once, but to their fans, and donated all of the proceeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-8tdouNJ0

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

gently caress I thought the Glover idea was unique. I will admit that I found the opening seventeen seconds funnier than just about anything I've seen from them recently, though.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I stumbled upon this guys LPs recently, This ones more like a Skit comedy where he interposes his own Story and characters over the game.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNC_sRuPtMonAOP46gqW9Q6E4ESFmum6d

This Mechwarrior 4 one he just started and it seems funny so far, I don't think I can recommend his other stuff though.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
I know a few of you lot browse /r/letsplay, I've been on that subreddit for like a year I have yet to find anyone on there to subscribe to. Maybe my standards are to high, but I like watching all the informative, non blind, non live, LP's it's just my preference but it seems like no one on that subreddit does anything like that, it's always like the live, reaction stuff and it doesn't do anything for me.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I browse it every so often to laugh it, much like /r/bitcoin and /r/ouya. There's nothing of value there, and it's not your high standards.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Migeman posted:

I know a few of you lot browse /r/letsplay, I've been on that subreddit for like a year I have yet to find anyone on there to subscribe to. Maybe my standards are to high, but I like watching all the informative, non blind, non live, LP's it's just my preference but it seems like no one on that subreddit does anything like that, it's always like the live, reaction stuff and it doesn't do anything for me.

They place a pretty high value on "genuine reactions", but tend to be anti-facecam for some reason for what it's worth. It also seems like they prefer duo commentaries just based on the few Unsucky Sunday contests I've looked at - but that really depends on who's judging a particular week I guess.

One of the main problems is that everyone wants to give their opinion on things, no matter how new or inexperienced they are - so sometimes you see terrible advice. There's a decent core of people that are nice and know what they're talking about, so I just try to upvote them as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Suspicious Dish posted:

I browse it every so often to laugh it, much like /r/bitcoin and /r/ouya. There's nothing of value there, and it's not your high standards.

I've been going there to sort of see what the posters are doing/talking about if they can't promote themselves anymore. That's where I snagged that "I want to quit work to make YouTube videos, even though I don't have a YouTube account at the moment" post.

Here's the problem: You aren't allowed to post your videos, but you can have flair that shows a link to your YouTube channel, so people still postpostpost poo poo that servers a stealth promotion like "Should I change my name" or "what should I do about this video?" Most of these guys have like 30 views per video and custom banners of them as a video game character or something, so they're clearly there for themselves more than anything else, so it's still a pretty terrible place to get advice or even find interesting new people because I can about promise they'll be doing everything the same as the other people there.

• Locked thread