Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Another government IT story: sometime last year I went to demo the replacement for a system which had been going since before I was born. The key user there had his (quite large) monitor set to 800x600 with a huge Win95-style novelty dinosaur cursor. It kinda owned actually, I can respect a man who uses a dinosaur cursor

e: dinosnipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trickjaw posted:

Get your cheque books out lads and lasses. Our old friend Louise Mensch's former partner Luke Bozier has a new exciting project, and this time its not under-age girlies! Babl is a twitter replacement that gets shot of all those extraneous characters and limits it to ten. Another winner, but less likely to have Operation Yewtree sniffing about. Bankrupt fits within the ten character limit, luckily.

So does "paedophile".

Fluo
May 25, 2007

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/meeting-the-future-faces-of-the-tory-party?utm_source=vicefbuk

quote:

RISE OF THE TORY YOUTH: MEETING BRITAIN'S YOUNG CONSERVATIVES
It’s been a long time since the Conservative Party could count on the youth vote. Perhaps it’s all the Bullingdon baggage – or that a legacy of bankrupting entire communities is probably never going to be that hip – but your average Tory branch meeting looks a lot more like a Rotary Club get-together than anything resembling the bright young future of British politics.

However, according to last year’s British Social Attitudes survey, Generation Y’s support for the Tories has doubled to 20 percent since 2003. Surprisingly, a UK-wide survey also found that Conservatives are the most popular party among students, and March’s Guardian/ICM poll revealed that 54 percent of 18 to 24-year-olds would consider voting Tory at the next election.

I wanted to find out what this new generation of Tories are like, and I figured that the best way to do that was to go and speak to some of them.[...]

Recommend reading the whole thing.

quote:

And if you do a degree in something that’s not going to give you practical skills, what can you expect?” said James Price, a 23-year-old security studies student from Gloucester', a Young Tory explaining the growth of youth unemployment.
:ironicat:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 15, 2014

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I lived with one of the people in that picture and he's a nice enough bloke and I get on with him socially but his politics are loving insane.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
So, 1 in 5 of Generation Y, and over 50% of 18-24 year olds support/would vote for the Tories while a whole bunch of other bright young things are buying Brand's 'No Point Voting' schtick.
Kill the young.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Network Rail is currently switching from XP to Windows 7 at the moment, and it's a bloody nightmare.

The entire railway is going to collapse unless someone can rework really old Excel macros and formulas into the new format.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bozza posted:

Network Rail is currently switching from XP to Windows 7 at the moment, and it's a bloody nightmare.

The entire railway is going to collapse unless someone can rework really old Excel macros and formulas into the new format.

I think i mentioned this in the last thread, but becoming a power user in excel really is a good way to land a lot of jobs.

EmptyVessel posted:

So, 1 in 5 of Generation Y, and over 50% of 18-24 year olds support/would vote for the Tories while a whole bunch of other bright young things are buying Brand's 'No Point Voting' schtick.
Kill the young.

I would think the rise is also to do with the government pricing out a lot of people from going to uni. Mostly the type of people that wouldn't vote Tory.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It just so happens I'm looking for a new job, so if a billion "Oh god someone with Excel skills now" positions are coming out of the woodwork then it looks like I'm in luck!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

KKKlean Energy posted:

It just so happens I'm looking for a new job, so if a billion "Oh god someone with Excel skills now" positions are coming out of the woodwork then it looks like I'm in luck!

All of them will be part time, minimum wage and based in the centre of London :downs:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Better paying than my first tech-guy job. It was an anti-unemployment gig, a prototype work-programme, for a startup office building. Less than minimum wage because we were getting training as well.

That training consisted of being blitzed through Learn Direct literacy and numeracy, then moving furniture. When an IT startup there found some people knew their way around computers, we got poached (but not paid more!) and told to set up a server, with no actual instruction. Any questions like 'will there be full-time positions in 6 months when this contract expires' were answered with 'Well, there's apprenticeships!'

It was pretty lovely. The actual Work Programme worked out much better though, they hired me themselves for a genuine apprenticeship.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Another government IT story: sometime last year I went to demo the replacement for a system which had been going since before I was born. The key user there had his (quite large) monitor set to 800x600 with a huge Win95-style novelty dinosaur cursor. It kinda owned actually, I can respect a man who uses a dinosaur cursor

e: dinosnipe

If it's gov spending gently caress ups, have another here.
Worked for 6 months as IT Officer for local council, when LCD screen PDA's were new tech so long ago.
One department head paid for one out of his own pocket, and he used it to record data from all the places he would have to visit around the county. He had a legit use for it.
Once the other heads saw it, they requested one for themselves, with full works. Leather cases, docking stations, memory upgrades, the works. Out of department money even when they had no legit use for it.
My (IT) manager threw a poo poo fit when they started asking for Lotus Mail subscriptions be bought so they could take and read their work mails at home, and she was overruled and told to buy and install it on the network. Must have wasted £20-30k on these pieces of poo poo.
All this while a good percentage of computers the normal council employees were using were chugging away of computers several years out of date that really needed updating.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I would be interested in a chart showing the correlation between "being a young Tory" and "having a bright red face".

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

sebzilla posted:

Has anyone here read Thomas Piketty? Apparently he's making waves with some unorthodox economic though.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/12/capitalism-isnt-working-thomas-piketty?CMP=fb_gu

Click through to the interview as well. Interesting stuff.

Thanks for reminding me to read this

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

I would be interested in a chart showing the correlation between "being a young Tory" and "having a bright red face".

They're being interviewed for something called "Young and Tory" in Vice. My face would be red, buried in my hands and deeply sobbing out of shame alone.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Anecdotal, but I have a bright red face and am not a young Tory.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Paul.Power posted:

Anecdotal, but I have a bright red face and am not a young Tory.

Outlier :colbert:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KKKlean Energy posted:

Well Business Analysts are in reasonable demand and it requires pretty good Excel skills to be one of them.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lol at goons thinking the tell tale sign of exercising outside in the sun makes you look like a tory.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ah, you see, that's a sign of the changing times. It used to be that having a tan and muscles was considered unattractive, as it meant you were an outdoors labourer, and not a member of the upper classes.

Then, as luxury holidays became popular, more people gained more sedentary jobs and fast food grew, it became the rich elite who could afford to lounge in the sun, and had the free time for fitness training.

:ssh: It's also a sign of having had too much to drink.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I loving hate young conservatives. "yes hello we have discovered the cause of all your ills, turns out you shouldn't be poor so we think to make you not be poor the government shouldn't help you any more. Now run along we have important decisions to make about biscuits and how the economy is just like a credit card. Be like us we pulled ourselves up by our own bootstraps rah rah rah."

cunts.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Is that James Bachman at the end? :ohdear:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I want to choke the one that looks like Evil Daniel Radcliffe with his own ascot.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

This just reinforces my suspicion that anyone wearing brightly coloured trousers is probably a twat.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
When I did the count at the last general election you could tell who the young tories were immediately because all the guys dress like 40 year old men.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I'm not going to read it again because gently caress that, but doesn't one of them smugly say that they grow up poor and then went to some posh school and 'just got on'? What a complete lack of self-awareness. Hey as a working class person I got given the privilege that most rich people get and from that point on my life magically started to be a bit more like a rich person's, it must be because I STRIVED SO HARD, unlike those other scum who didn't get to go to grammar school for some reason. Probably because they didn't strive hard enough when they were 11. Scroungers.

Also what's all the fuss about Piketty, is it coz his book has maths in and that makes people take him seriously even though he's saying the same stuff other people have been for years?

e: strived? strove?

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 15, 2014

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I loving hate young conservatives. "yes hello we have discovered the cause of all your ills, turns out you shouldn't be poor so we think to make you not be poor the government shouldn't help you any more. Now run along we have important decisions to make about biscuits and how the economy is just like a credit card. Be like us we pulled ourselves up by our own bootstraps rah rah rah."

cunts.

loving hell Gove has budded.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Elfface posted:

Ah, you see, that's a sign of the changing times. It used to be that having a tan and muscles was considered unattractive, as it meant you were an outdoors labourer, and not a member of the upper classes.

Then, as luxury holidays became popular, more people gained more sedentary jobs and fast food grew, it became the rich elite who could afford to lounge in the sun, and had the free time for fitness training.

:ssh: It's also a sign of having had too much to drink.

Being poor and voting Tory is also a sign of having had too much to drink.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

You scrub up well, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ;)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

XMNN posted:

This just reinforces my suspicion that anyone wearing brightly coloured trousers is probably a twat.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of brightly coloured chinos, must be a terrible loving wanker.

Red ones especially.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
A collection of photographs in celebration of the vibrant and burgeoning red-trousered communities of London and elsewhere

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Trickjaw posted:

loving hell Gove has budded.

I thought it was established recently that Gove reproduces by way of Hot Sex.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I like how the one on the right looks like he's already being punched in the face by an invisible hand.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
The classic

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

KKKlean Energy posted:

I thought it was established recently that Gove reproduces by way of Hot Sex.

Gove's o-face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dqxZo_myyA&t=13s

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Saved us the effort of getting them against a wall.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

glitchkrieg posted:

You scrub up well, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ;)

thats not me this is me

wooooargh edgy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
"ROB THE RICH" - Alarm Clock Britain

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Barry Foster posted:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of brightly coloured chinos, must be a terrible loving wanker.

Red ones especially.

My heterosexual male life-partner wears red chinos almost nonstop. He's a full communist from watford and looks shockingly like young stalin.

He's a sociopath though so I guess it counts.

Meanwhile,

Farage didn't even bother denying it. "It's an allowance! I can spend it how I like!"

On ales, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Nigel Faberge is just highlighting the problem with MP expenses in that it can be used for anything.

Nigel is merely mad about EU waste, mad about the causes of EU waste. Such as himself.

• Locked thread