Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My grandparents understand/get Roku pretty well, and it has a bunch of support from various streaming services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BonoMan posted:

Thus I'm looking for an HDMI and VGA enabled portable monitor/keyboard/mouse combo. Essentially a laptop with no CPU in it and accepts inputs rather than just outputting to a display!

Only thing I can think of that even comes close to this is a rackmounted terminal (basically a laptop monitor, keyboard and touchpad in a 1U package), but they aren't exactly portable and when you can find them for sale they're upwards of $1000.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Geoj posted:

Only thing I can think of that even comes close to this is a rackmounted terminal (basically a laptop monitor, keyboard and touchpad in a 1U package), but they aren't exactly portable and when you can find them for sale they're upwards of $1000.

Yeah what you're describing is basically this or one of those carts with the keyboard/monitor/mouse on them that you wheel around to each server. I don't know if anyone makes portable ones...

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010

BonoMan posted:

A friend of mine has a small side business where he wires houses (new builds only) for smart home integration. I then come in on the backend and do the configuration with the actual devices/routers/etc. The brain he installs is usually small and out of the way and the customer rarely has room for a machine room or anything like that so there's usually no pre-installed keyboard/mouse/monitor.

Thus I'm looking for an HDMI and VGA enabled portable monitor/keyboard/mouse combo. Essentially a laptop with no CPU in it and accepts inputs rather than just outputting to a display!

I don't know of any all-in-one solutions like you're describing. Your options seem to be a normal laptop and one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Console-Portable-Laptop-Crash-Adapter/dp/B002CLKFTQ OR perhaps you could build your own solution with a cheap monitor mounted inside a briefcase and an included mouse/keyboard.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

BrumDart posted:

I don't know of any all-in-one solutions like you're describing. Your options seem to be a normal laptop and one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Console-Portable-Laptop-Crash-Adapter/dp/B002CLKFTQ OR perhaps you could build your own solution with a cheap monitor mounted inside a briefcase and an included mouse/keyboard.

If going this route, the Logitech DiNovo edge is a great keyboard with integrated mouse that runs on Bluetooth and holds a charge for a good month of use.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Maybe we should go back to the beginning...is the "brain" you're referring to a proprietary controller unit or a low power computer (net top, etc.) running an operating system you can interact with? What I'm getting at is is there any reason you couldn't have your friend install some version of VNC on the "brain" so you could connect to it over the network on a normal laptop?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

BonoMan posted:

A friend of mine has a small side business where he wires houses (new builds only) for smart home integration. I then come in on the backend and do the configuration with the actual devices/routers/etc. The brain he installs is usually small and out of the way and the customer rarely has room for a machine room or anything like that so there's usually no pre-installed keyboard/mouse/monitor.

How about something like this, but with your system in place of the Raspberry Pi?

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/27/pi-laptop/

Except it doesn't have VGA.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

clockworx posted:

How about something like this, but with your system in place of the Raspberry Pi?

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/27/pi-laptop/

Except it doesn't have VGA.

Actually yeah that dock thing looks perfect except for the VGA

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Geoj posted:

Maybe we should go back to the beginning...is the "brain" you're referring to a proprietary controller unit or a low power computer (net top, etc.) running an operating system you can interact with? What I'm getting at is is there any reason you couldn't have your friend install some version of VNC on the "brain" so you could connect to it over the network on a normal laptop?

The brain is a mix of proprietary stuff on a basic windows xp system. It's already remote-in capable once everything is setup properly, but a lot of the setup (training the devices and downloading them to the brain) has to be done in person.

That Star Tech crash cart converter with a standard laptop seems to be the best solution.

Although the tinkerer in me loves the idea of building some DIY solution with the Pi.

edit: Also I only need VGA integration, not HDMI.

BonoMan has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Apr 7, 2014

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

BonoMan posted:

Although the tinkerer in me loves the idea of building some DIY solution with the Pi.

edit: Also I only need VGA integration, not HDMI.

What I posted wouldn't have a Pi, it would be using your "brain" instead of the Pi. It's basically what you asked for - keyboard, mouse, monitor + included battery to run it, with an HDMI input. That's going to a bigger hassle than it's worth, though, since you'd need a VGA-to-HDMI converter.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

clockworx posted:

What I posted wouldn't have a Pi, it would be using your "brain" instead of the Pi. It's basically what you asked for - keyboard, mouse, monitor + included battery to run it, with an HDMI input. That's going to a bigger hassle than it's worth, though, since you'd need a VGA-to-HDMI converter.

Ah yeah I see what you were saying.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

BonoMan posted:

Does it have 2 USB ports? Get a portable monitor like this: http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/monitor/lt1421/

and a keyboard with a trackpad in it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Trillest Parrot posted:

Does it have 2 USB ports? Get a portable monitor like this: http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/monitor/lt1421/

and a keyboard with a trackpad in it.

I actually have an AOC 16" usb monitor but it's finicky and has to have drivers installed. Do you have experience with this monitor by chance?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonoMan posted:

I actually have an AOC 16" usb monitor but it's finicky and has to have drivers installed. Do you have experience with this monitor by chance?

I know nothing about that monitor but just guessing that a WinXP stock install is going to need drivers for a USB monitor made like 10 years after it came out. Would it be possible just to create an image of XP with the remote desktop stuff you need already rolled in, then just image each "Brain"? Might save some initial configuration time too.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Anyone have any experience with a particularly good air mattress that sleeps two? My folks are going to be flying out to visit for a week in a month or so, and a month and a half after that I'm going to be moving. We have the space but no bed to put them up for that week, but an air mattress would be far cheaper than a hotel for a week, and that way when I move my girlfriend and I won't have to buy a bed immediately. Seems like a win win, but now I need to find an air mattress that doesn't suck. I've been assured they exist, but I haven't ever experienced one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

mezzir posted:

Anyone have any experience with a particularly good air mattress that sleeps two?
I'm not specifically recommending it (sleeping habits are pretty personal), but something you shouldn't leave out of your consideration is buying two single air matresses. You can inflate them each to preference and you won't have the problem that the vibrations of the tiniest movement of your partner travel across to your side, which is something air matresses are bad at.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

BonoMan posted:

I don't, sorry. I thought about the drivers thing and I found a review that said it was plug and play and I didn't find any drivers with a quick search, so I thought it might be worth looking in to.

Also found the GeChic On-Lap 2501B on NewEgg which is battery powered and has VGA and HDMI.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Can anyone recommend me a good anatomy and/or physiology textbook, or even a website?
I'm an A student, but I'm not really practiced on massive loads of memorization. Next semester I have to take anatomy and physiology together, and while I'm looking forward to physiology, I'm completely dreading anatomy because I know it's just a disgusting list of words to memorize. So I'm trying to get a jump start.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Baldbeard posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good anatomy and/or physiology textbook, or even a website?
I'm an A student, but I'm not really practiced on massive loads of memorization. Next semester I have to take anatomy and physiology together, and while I'm looking forward to physiology, I'm completely dreading anatomy because I know it's just a disgusting list of words to memorize. So I'm trying to get a jump start.

I found the anatomy colouring book useful. Check Amazon.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Baldbeard posted:

I'm finished up Anatomy now (my final is on Tuesday), and while there is plenty of blunt memorization. It's really not too bad if you try to understand it instead of memorize it. Break things down into systems and remember to study functions along with each structure.

Our class used the Netter Atlas which I found to be pretty good. There are also flashcards - which have the same illustrations, just broken up and with more information.

The University of Michigan Anatomy website is a great resourse as well here, especially if you want to study for your practical without going into lab.

But the single thing I probably found most useful was Youtube. Check out "Anatomy Zone", "Interactive Biology", "Handwritten Tutorials", and "Nebil Ebraheim."

Also, check out Bio Digital Human for an interactive model that you can use to study. You have to sign up - but its free. They have an Ipad app too, but the website is much better.

Oh and once class starts, spend a lot of time in lab, and make sure to look at multiple bodies. Everything looks so different from the textbooks, and from one body to the next.
But make sure you prepare before you go, or else you just waste time. Anatomy isn't hard, but it sure is a time sink.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Sportman posted:

I'm finished up Anatomy now (my final is on Tuesday), and while there is plenty of blunt memorization. It's really not too bad if you try to understand it instead of memorize it. Break things down into systems and remember to study functions along with each structure.

Our class used the Netter Atlas which I found to be pretty good. There are also flashcards - which have the same illustrations, just broken up and with more information.

The University of Michigan Anatomy website is a great resourse as well here, especially if you want to study for your practical without going into lab.

But the single thing I probably found most useful was Youtube. Check out "Anatomy Zone", "Interactive Biology", "Handwritten Tutorials", and "Nebil Ebraheim."

Also, check out Bio Digital Human for an interactive model that you can use to study. You have to sign up - but its free. They have an Ipad app too, but the website is much better.

Oh and once class starts, spend a lot of time in lab, and make sure to look at multiple bodies. Everything looks so different from the textbooks, and from one body to the next.
But make sure you prepare before you go, or else you just waste time. Anatomy isn't hard, but it sure is a time sink.

Great, thanks for all of the information!

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

mezzir posted:

Anyone have any experience with a particularly good air mattress that sleeps two? My folks are going to be flying out to visit for a week in a month or so, and a month and a half after that I'm going to be moving. We have the space but no bed to put them up for that week, but an air mattress would be far cheaper than a hotel for a week, and that way when I move my girlfriend and I won't have to buy a bed immediately. Seems like a win win, but now I need to find an air mattress that doesn't suck. I've been assured they exist, but I haven't ever experienced one.

I don't know the exact model, but my roommate has a Simmons Beautyrest air mattress with a built-in pump that works fantastically. Just plug it into the wall, press the button and it inflates itself, and you can adjust the firmness with up/down buttons on the cord once it's mostly inflated. I've taken it a few places and slept two on it with no deflation the next morning, where my $20 Walmart special can't last the night with one person on it.

(protip: if it's not already obvious, don't buy airbeds from Walmart ever- not only is the quality on all but the high-end ones pretty poo poo, but if it's open and you bring it back you can only exchange it for another airbed even if you have the receipt, and only within 15 days. This policy may or may not actually be posted anywhere when you buy it but it will definitely be enforced when you return it unless you raise holy hell to the highest management.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I asked a while back in the thread if anyone could recommend some good PC speakers since mine are having issues but unfortunately money became too tight. I'd love some more recommendations. My current ones also have problems using my Sennheiser HD 595 (I think) headphones because the headphone jack gets stuck in a lip on the input port so something that avoids that would be good

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

Jose posted:

I asked a while back in the thread if anyone could recommend some good PC speakers since mine are having issues but unfortunately money became too tight. I'd love some more recommendations. My current ones also have problems using my Sennheiser HD 595 (I think) headphones because the headphone jack gets stuck in a lip on the input port so something that avoids that would be good

These sound (I've used them before) incredibly good for the money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121013

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

Also they sell like $0.50 3.5mm extensions that have a really slim male end that will fit anywhere, 2" of cable, then a female jack. I bought a couple for headphones that have the threads for the big adapter thing and thus don't fit in iPhone cases. If I wasn't on my phone I'd find what I bought but you can probably google variations of slim 3.5mm extension and come up with some.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Jose posted:

Price range? Are you wanting something cheap (See below) or something that is actually decent ($300-500~)?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Around $150-200

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

mezzir posted:

Some just popped up on slickdeals this morning...http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/118358/sears---air-beds-beautyrest-plush-aire-raised-40-simmons-smartaire-comfort-top-instant

No idea if they're any good though :)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Around $150-200

Harman/Cardon Soundsticks are about that much and are excellent, if funny looking. I bought a set about 10 years ago and they are just now starting to sound off. I bought a second set last year to use in my kitchen/living room.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Jose posted:

Around $150-200

Audioengine A2's. Nothing better in the price range.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a pair of A2s hooked up to an Audioengine D1. Been extremely happy with that investment.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I'm looking for a 3-day size roll top pack that will work as a backpack/rear bike rack bag. Canvas is preferred, Molle also a plus. Preferably under $80, although if the quality difference is notable I can go a bit higher--goruck is way out of my price range.

I'm hoping to be able to use it for camping, a gym bag, and an everyday bag. Carry-on acceptable would be great, but I don't fly often enough to worry about these fancy pants TSA-compliant bags. I normally carry a change of clothes, gym clothes, iPad, a textbook-sized notebook, two magazines, a newspaper, and two Dopp kits. I know it's a stretch, but any suggestions?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kaizoku posted:

I'm looking for a 3-day size roll top pack that will work as a backpack/rear bike rack bag. Canvas is preferred, Molle also a plus. Preferably under $80, although if the quality difference is notable I can go a bit higher--goruck is way out of my price range.

I'm hoping to be able to use it for camping, a gym bag, and an everyday bag. Carry-on acceptable would be great, but I don't fly often enough to worry about these fancy pants TSA-compliant bags. I normally carry a change of clothes, gym clothes, iPad, a textbook-sized notebook, two magazines, a newspaper, and two Dopp kits. I know it's a stretch, but any suggestions?

If that's your price range I'd hit up any local army surplus stores. If you go higher you can get some good packs from REI but if you want canvas I'd definitely go army surplus. If you don't have anywhere local hit up Sportsmans Guide. They usually have stuff that's pretty decent for the price. Generally most stuff is pretty good, I'd avoid British stuff since most of it that I've gotten has been really used.

Edit: and only buy their actual surplus stuff. The other stuff is mostly trashy airsoft poo poo that crumbles with a sneeze.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Apr 16, 2014

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If that's your price range I'd hit up any local army surplus stores. If you go higher you can get some good packs from REI but if you want canvas I'd definitely go army surplus. If you don't have anywhere local hit up Sportsmans Guide. They usually have stuff that's pretty decent for the price. Generally most stuff is pretty good, I'd avoid British stuff since most of it that I've gotten has been really used.

And therein lies the problem--the only store that was left doing surplus around here quit sometime in the past 5 years. Are there any reputable online surplus outlets, or is it just as much a crapshoot as it was in the pre-Amazon days.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kaizoku posted:

And therein lies the problem--the only store that was left doing surplus around here quit sometime in the past 5 years. Are there any reputable online surplus outlets, or is it just as much a crapshoot as it was in the pre-Amazon days.

I have ordered from Sportsmans guide a couple times. Their bags and such tend to be in good condition and the jackets I ordered for my brother are incredibly nice (1970's Italian jackets that were made by shops in Milan on contract for the army). But since most of it is surplus gear that is purchased from places and held in sealed plastic bags the quality on certain things can vary (Jackets from them often come with no buttons for instance) but I personally have had good experiences with them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am a bit of a backpack fetishist and trying to find a quality roll top with Molle/PALs for under $80 is going to be pretty hard. If you just want a quality bag and can budge on either the roll top or webbing, I would look around for used stuff. I buy and sell a bag or two a year and I know there are other bag nuts out there who do the same. TFR has an offsite classifieds where you might have some luck posting a WTB add. If you post in the newbie thread someone can add you to the group.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Can anyone recommend a good office chair? I'm going to be working from home and am willing to invest in something quality. I've been looking at the Steelcase Leap or Herman Miller Aeron, but am willing to consider other options or something that is slightly less money. Any recommendations out there?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Wirecutter has a good writeup on office chairs. tl:dr get the Steelcase Leap.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My glasses broke this morning. I'm happy with the style because I've been complimented on them and they're one of the few that works for my big head, but they're discontinued.

The Warby Parker Ames for $150 seems like the best affordable option, but they don't come in black, and I'd like to see if you guys can recommend something cheaper.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 08:44 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Have you checked out the Chinese sites? Takes some time for your glasses to come in, but they are dirt cheap assuming you have your prescription and PD measurement. And they are just as good as what you pay at your local eyeglass ware store for a fraction of the price.

http://www.optical4less.com/
https://www.zennioptical.com/

• Locked thread