Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

RichardGamingo posted:

Wow! I really enjoyed the animation. May I ask what software went into its production?

TVPaint and after effects, my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
I'm down.

scarycave posted:

I'll be glad to give you feed back, I'm just not really good enough to actually submit anything though.

It's a training exercise, dude.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

raging bullwinkle posted:

I'm down.

It's a training exercise, dude.

It is? I thought it was more of a competition thing?
Still though, all I do is practice stuff - I don't really see a reason for me to get involved.
Don't let me stop you though. I want to see what you guys can do.
Show me your power.

Here's a cross post from a few days ago:
I colored the bee.

edit:
loving stinger.
I'm trying to draw frames without tracing over them and its a pain in the butt.

scarycave fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 9, 2014

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
Anyone here with Toon Boom experience, I need help
Recently, whenever I go to make a stroke on a frame ahead of my existing frames, it extends the last frame's exposure all the way to where I drew the new frame
It wasn't doing this before and it's kinda loving me up

Like, example, say I want to work ahead and clean up something further along than what I'm doing:

I make one stroke and then this happens:

To test, I opened up an older project file and tried it and this didn't happen, so I dunno what I did to make it do this

Smolt
Jun 16, 2009

きゅっ きゅっ きゅっ
ニャー♪
Howdy folks, don't have much to add since I've broken my tablet pen. Whoops. I'll be getting to fixing it sooner or later.

Anyways, this site is selling some bundle of programs for $20 -- including Toon Boom Studio. The deal is ending tomorrow and I think it might only work on Macs. So if you can't afford TVPaint and have a Mac this might be a good opportunity to get it.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Smolt posted:

Howdy folks, don't have much to add since I've broken my tablet pen. Whoops. I'll be getting to fixing it sooner or later.

Anyways, this site is selling some bundle of programs for $20 -- including Toon Boom Studio. The deal is ending tomorrow and I think it might only work on Macs. So if you can't afford TVPaint and have a Mac this might be a good opportunity to get it.

For what it's worth, to redeem ToonBoom specifically you have to go to their site and enter the promo code MacHeist gives you-- afterwards, ToonBoom lets you download either Mac or PC version of the software. So-- $20 for PC AND Mac Toon Boom Studio!

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp

Travakian posted:

For what it's worth, to redeem ToonBoom specifically you have to go to their site and enter the promo code MacHeist gives you-- afterwards, ToonBoom lets you download either Mac or PC version of the software. So-- $20 for PC AND Mac Toon Boom Studio!

I'm very interested in this, but I have a PC. Just to verify, I donate 20 bucks to MacHeist and they provide me with a serial for the Toon Boom Studio trial version of my choice?

I'm pinching pennies right now and don't want to accidentally throw away 20 bucks for a Mac version serial I can't use. :ohdear:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I've been thinking about getting one of those new-fangled programs once I'm done with my project, but they all seem pretty much designed to use a tablet - and I really can't do that. I don't know if its because my Laptop screen is too small or something but I sort of get demoralized by it - even though I really loving shouldn't. I think my brain is just trying to keep me doing what I'm more comfortable with sometimes.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

schmarson posted:

I'm very interested in this, but I have a PC. Just to verify, I donate 20 bucks to MacHeist and they provide me with a serial for the Toon Boom Studio trial version of my choice?

I'm pinching pennies right now and don't want to accidentally throw away 20 bucks for a Mac version serial I can't use. :ohdear:

Removed the key, of course, but it says win/mac and gives download link for both.

edit: just successfully installed & activated on Windows.

Travakian fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 10, 2014

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

http://vimeo.com/92020010

this took entirely too long. Give it a clickety-click.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Any room for motion design here? Not strictly traditional animation, but finished up a new reel recently, curious on what you guys think!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

bitmap posted:

http://vimeo.com/92020010

this took entirely too long. Give it a clickety-click.

The guy's bouncy jog up the stairs slays me.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I was worried this thread was gonna tank again for a second, guess not though.

Travakian posted:

Any room for motion design here? Not strictly traditional animation, but finished up a new reel recently, curious on what you guys think!

Frankly, if its a moving image in any shape or form its okay.
Also that looks pretty good too. In an advertisement sort of way.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Travakian posted:

I get half my money from motion graphics and I am constantly amazed, in a pretentious 2d animation "artiste" sense, by the skill and thought of what it takes to deliver something good enough. Your showreel makes me look like a two bit hack. Please keep posting in this thread.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Travakian posted:

I'm a motion graphics designer and my stuff is about 8% as good as this

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Pencil test of a worm that someone glued a pair of googly eyes too.

It kind of looks like male genitalia.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

scarycave posted:

Pencil test of a worm that someone glued a pair of googly eyes too.

It kind of looks like male genitalia.

Everything is male genitalia, didn't you ever read Freud? That is a cute design though.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Toot toot

Foran
Apr 19, 2008

Garry's Mod is an Art

Colon Semicolon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHu970pu5UQ

I provided a tiny bit of work on this (the torso model for the robot's rotoscoping) but overall this is more Paul's work.
Also this is a game trailer too, haha.

This is awesome. I'm not fond of the robot's design (on the outside, at least), since it looks too much like something out of mazinger, but the animation is great.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Foran posted:

This is awesome. I'm not fond of the robot's design (on the outside, at least), since it looks too much like something out of mazinger, but the animation is great.

Thanks! We were talking about extending it a bit possibly. It'll depend on our funds and other things.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Where's the happy little poof of smoke? :yaycloud:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

neonnoodle posted:

Where's the happy little poof of smoke? :yaycloud:

Not in the animation budget.
I'm probably going to add it when I re-scan everything so I can color it.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Something for someones thing

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is the first version of my CG animation demo reel I'm comfortable sharing. Before I've mostly done rigging. Got an interview tomorrow with a studio in Halifax, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up on being hired, so be merciless with (constructive, hopefully) criticism. I need to improve!
https://vimeo.com/92857009

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

The CalArts student films came out, if y'all wanna take a gander at the work of some of the best animation students around:
https://vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2014/

I particularly recommend Jacob Streilein's "There's a man in the woods".

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ccs posted:

This is the first version of my CG animation demo reel I'm comfortable sharing. Before I've mostly done rigging. Got an interview tomorrow with a studio in Halifax, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up on being hired, so be merciless with (constructive, hopefully) criticism. I need to improve!
https://vimeo.com/92857009

I've been trying to think up something to say these past few days, and hoping someone would say something before I really had too, but I think that, as a 3D animation student, I would like to see a bit longer reel. Or maybe get a bit more which field your trying to do since I don't know if you did all the animation yourself or just set up the rig.

You seem to know how to animate a rig properly, though some movements seem a bit stiff. There just isn't too much fluid movements, except for the tentacles, I think those came out pretty well - same for the sack boy. The lowman-esque people on the other hand seem a bit off. I wish I could help you more but I can't really place my finger on it, I think the weight lifter is probably the weakest one in the piece, while the demon chick got my attention the most.

Forti
May 5, 2009

On a sheer presentation standpoint, no, 1 minute is spot on. I find it helpful to put a little block at the bottom with the information of what program you used, what you did (ie Me: Rigging and modelling, Some other guy: Animation) just to make it clear. Put the information in the video to make exactly what you did clear, no one's going to watch your reel with the extra notes. They're going to play the video and ignore everything else.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cool, I will put the info in the video.
I will definitely work on more fluidity in the movement. Much to learn! Thanks guys!

bitmap posted:

The CalArts student films came out, if y'all wanna take a gander at the work of some of the best animation students around:
https://vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2014/

I particularly recommend Jacob Streilein's "There's a man in the woods".

Awesome, that was great.
Sheridan also had their final showing the other day, though a lot of the films aren't online yet. The best one was a combination of stop motion and traditional animation called "Lucy and the Limbs". I'll post it here when it hits vimeo.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 29, 2014

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

I'm looking to commission an animated swf/gif as an avatar for a variety of sites I use.

Thinking of a top-down dragon flying over some landscape.

Wondering if anyone here interested in doing such?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm sure a number of people here would be interested.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Is anyone familiar with duik for AE? I am having trouble making a 2 layer chain with the Upper and Lower legs that doesn't rotate the Body. Seems like it requires an additional parent above the body in the hierarchy.

I can make 2 layer chain with the Upper and the Body where the Lower is parented to the control but the Body still rotates.

I am about to say fuckit and add another segment to the legs... claws work fine.

Megaman765
Apr 3, 2014
I can't promise the stop of the use of things like fag and racist jokes.
Say does anyone in here use Source Filmmaker for animation by chance? I've actually been starting up a little Mario animated series called Luigimail if anyone wants to throw some pointers on animating my way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsb-VTCq-ng

I've been told the animation is a little blocky but I'm working on fixing that for the second episode hopefully. My friend does a lot of the animation for this with but I'm slowly working into doing a bit more animating in the program on my own time so I'm just learning from experience.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

DiHK posted:

Is anyone familiar with duik for AE? I am having trouble making a 2 layer chain with the Upper and Lower legs that doesn't rotate the Body. Seems like it requires an additional parent above the body in the hierarchy.

I can make 2 layer chain with the Upper and the Body where the Lower is parented to the control but the Body still rotates.

I am about to say fuckit and add another segment to the legs... claws work fine.

I might be able to help with this but could you grab a screenshot of the whole set up, parenting and whatnot? I love DUIK but I always struggle keeping how everything should link together all matched up in my head.

e: I guess for some additional content, I had a little bit of time yesterday to make this up (hope Instagram links are okay, I wasn't initially planning on sharing it here and it's just a short test so it doesn't feel worth uploading to Vimeo).

http://instagram.com/p/nmi6r8jI-0/

Not for anything, just screwing around in Photoshop for a couple hours! Makes me miss having time to actually plan this stuff out more though!

mareep fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 5, 2014

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

I've hidden the non-essentials. What I have selected in the image is the IK chain I want, which returns the line 23 error. It works fine if I involve the body in the IK, but that's bad.

The various tutorial examples involve the Head-chest-pelvis chain, where the head is not part of the IK chain. I think it's a parenting issue but trying to work around it with dummy layers either gets the error or rotates the body.

The claws work fine so I'll probably just add another segment to the legs at some point today.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I THINK I've done something similar to this when I was trying to come up with a viable quadrupedal rig (with legs that needed to bend correctly with a shoulder piece, upper and lower legs and a foot). Bit convoluted because of all the pieces but for each leg I ended up chaining to a null that I parented to a null (Hind) that I would then parent the body to.

So:

I just parented anything that needed to 'stick' to the body to that 'Hind' null, and if I needed the body to move I'd use that null as basically a master controller. Would it be possible to parent this all to your body controller? Or to make an additional 'throwaway' null to stick the leg pieces to?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sup guys, I started on my entry for this month's 11 second club. Here's some rough blocking in of poses showing the direction I'm going in. Any crits on staging or future stuff to add to the animation is appreciated! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fw2_Q2CP1A

aton
Jul 23, 2008
Using the key light is from the hallway he is walking into would provide a nice allusion to whether or not the limping guy is a baddy, as he would be cast in darkness "when he's thinking about it" and half-darkened, half-lit, two-facedness, "one way or another." Also, I really like that you chose a character with a cane. Seems like it'd be a nice challenge to animate. The dialogue seems to imply the first character is more vulnerable, but the camera is shooting just slightly up on her implying maybe she's in control despite her plea. Maybe explore some more dynamic shots. Right now the characters are almost straight on and centered.

Then again I'm about to post something that is centered shots, so don't listen to me? I made a 48 hour collaborative animation this past weekend with a theme of "mystery date."

https://vimeo.com/93866932

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks for the input! That's good advice, staging I hadn't thought about too much and I hadn't even considered what the lighting would be but that'll give me something to keep it mind for the render!

That's a cool little film you made. I don't know what it means, but I like the visuals.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Hi thread, please recommend me some free web pages where I can watch short (5-10 mins) cartoons from different authors. I should start working on a scenario for a cartoon and I'm looking for inspiration and information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Doctor Malaver posted:

Hi thread, please recommend me some free web pages where I can watch short (5-10 mins) cartoons from different authors. I should start working on a scenario for a cartoon and I'm looking for inspiration and information.

https://www.youtube.com