Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaan
May 24, 2005

That is really weird. Since all the other Dictate of __________ are universal effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why couldn't they just have gotten Terese Nielsen to draw every enchantment in the block? "All enchantments are Nielsen" would have been a way cooler motif than "all enchantments are starfieldy".

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

starbarry clock posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=366384&type=card i could see this also working really well with thaumaturge since you would play this on their upkeep and just tap everything they have down for free and maybe kill stuff while at the same time hitting them in the face for the full x
another abolutely insane e: with this guy's first ability because of that colon you would sacrifice things first and after that resolves(and any other triggers resulting from that do) the creatures you sac'd would return right? so if you had the big red rear end in a top hat who destroys all other permanents when he dies, everything would blow up and then you could return x creatures back to the battlefield right?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but you can't return the guys that you sacced. You pick targets before paying costs. Also, there's no way to stack it such that the red guy's ability goes off while this ability is on the stack, short of strionic resonator+stifle.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

starbarry clock posted:

with this guy's first ability because of that colon you would sacrifice things first and after that resolves(and any other triggers resulting from that do) the creatures you sac'd would return right? so if you had the big red rear end in a top hat who destroys all other permanents when he dies, everything would blow up and then you could return x creatures back to the battlefield right?

No because you would need to declare targets at the same time you activate his ability. You can't sac dudes and reanimate those same dudes because they aren't valid targets when you activate his ability. If the red guy was worded differently, you could get some other guys back after everything else blew up, but that doesn't work either because it's end of turn.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Alaan posted:

That is really weird. Since all the other Dictate of __________ are universal effects.

It's not that weird, a universal Anthem wouldn't be any more interesting to play with at instant speed. Dave Humpherys mentions this in his development article:

quote:

We were having a hard time finishing out the cycle and eventually decided it was best to loosen up the cycle a bit and simply find enchantments that would be the most interesting if they had flash, rather than restricting these all to symmetric effects.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

Why couldn't they just have gotten Terese Nielsen to draw every enchantment in the block? "All enchantments are Nielsen" would have been a way cooler motif than "all enchantments are starfieldy".

All enchantments are Nielsen and/or Guay.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

Battlefield Thaumaturge every Theros block cost reduction

X refers to X cards, where each creature = 1, Y strive where it's targets - 1

Acolyte's Reward 1W -> W
Ajani's Presence W + 2W*Y -> W + 1W*Y - 1 (W WW 1WWW ...)
Artisan's Sorrow versus art/enchant creatures 3G -> 2G
Asphyxiate 1BB -> BB
Battlewise Valor 1W -> W
Bolt of Keranos on creatures 1RR -> RR
Boulderfall 6RR -> 1RR : 5RR
Crypsis 1U -> U
Culling Mark 2G -> 1G
Curse of the Swine XUU -> UU
Cutthroat Maneuver 3B -> 1B : 3B
Dauntless Onslaught 2W -> W : 2W
Dawn to Dusk on enchant creatures 2WW -> 1WW
Demolish on artifact creatures (sables op) 3R -> 2R
Divine Verdict 3W -> 2W
Excorciate 3W -> 2W
Fade into Antiquity on creatures 2G -> 1G
Fall of the Hammer 1R -> R ({-1}R in case of cost increases)
Fated Conflagration on creatures 1RRR -> RRR
Gild 3B -> 2B
Glare of Heresy on creatures 1W -> W
Glimpse the Sun God XW -> W
Griptide 3U -> 2U
Hero's Downfall on creatures 1BB -> BB
Hold at Bay on creatures 1W -> W
Hunter's Prowess 4G -> 3G
Lash of the Whip 4B -> 3B
Last Breath 1W -> W
Launch the Fleet W + 1*Y -> W
Lightning Strike on creatures 1R -> R
Magma Jet on creatures 1R -> R
Mischief and Mayhem 4G -> 2G : 4G
Mortal's Resolve 1G -> G
Necrobite 2B -> 1B
Pinnacle of Rage 4RR -> 2RR : 4RR
Polymorphous Rush 2U + 1U*Y -> 1U + U*Y
Portent of Betrayal 3R -> 2R
Rage of Purphoros 4R -> 3R
Ray of Dissolution on creatures 2W -> 1W
Reap What is Sown 1GW -> GW ({-2}GW : GW)
Revoke Existence on creatures 1W -> W
Riddle of Lightning on creatures 3RR -> 2RR
Rise to the Challenge 1R -> R
Savage Surge 1G -> G
Sea God's Revenge 5U -> 2U : 5U
Setessan Tactics 1G + G*Y -> G + G*Y
Shredding Winds 2G -> 1G
Silence the Believers 2BB + 1BB*Y -> 1BB + BB*Y
Sip of Hemlock 4BB -> 3BB
Sudden Storm 3U -> 1U : 3U
Time to Feed 2G -> G
Twinflame 2R + 1R*Y -> 1R + R*Y
Unravel the Aether on creatures 1G -> G
Vanquish the Foul 5W -> 4W
Voyage's End 1U -> U

Things that stick out besides X's and strives are Boulderfall which gest as low as 1RR, Sea God's Revenge going from 5U down to as much as 2U, Time to Feed goes from 2G to G so a strictly better prey upon, Mischief and Mayhem, Pinnacle of Rage, Dauntless Onslaught, Sudden Storm and Cutthroat Maneuver all target up to 2 creatures and so get a cost reduction of 2, which is pretty significant for them.
Battlemage going to lead to some fun blowouts in Limited.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They really want you to be able to tron up a Mirari's Wake in G/W this set don't they.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

rabidsquid posted:

They really want you to be able to tron up a Mirari's Wake in G/W this set don't they.

They should've just reprinted Mirari's Wake. Come on, Elspeth was just on Mirrodin, the Mirari was on Mirrodin. Maybe a piece of Memnarch got stuck to her shoe.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

Green Dictate is too symmetrical to fuel the amazing thing that was Wake.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Attorney at Funk posted:

Aegis of the Gods - 1W
Enchantment Creature - Human Soldier
You have hexproof.
2/1
Naya/Esper Hexproof gonna wreck faces for the next few months. :getin:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dictate of Heliod is crap. Any deck that wants an Anthem effect will never pay 5 mana for it.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Dictate of Heliod is crap. Any deck that wants an Anthem effect will never pay 5 mana for it.

It's a pretty wicked limited rare for sure.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Korak posted:

Naya/Esper Hexproof gonna wreck faces for the next few months. :getin:

Yeah man, let's play a creature that turns on their removal that they couldn't use on your other dudes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

Collective Blessing saw some fringe play in Junk Tokens last standard.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zoness posted:

Yeah man, let's play a creature that turns on their removal that they couldn't use on your other dudes.
There are several ways to make him hexproof right now. The worst case scenario is it getting searing blooded immediately. Best case you shut someone down long enough to beat down.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

JerryLee posted:

All enchantments are Nielsen and/or Guay.

Yeah, because what I want is enchantments that look like this.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Entropic posted:

Collective Blessing saw some fringe play in Junk Tokens last standard.

I'm still holding out hope that it will get one last shot before this season is over.... I miss my token decks.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Korak posted:

There are several ways to make him hexproof right now. The worst case scenario is it getting searing blooded immediately. Best case you shut someone down long enough to beat down.

But hexproof decks don't play cards that make their cards hexproof?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

MrBling posted:

Yeah, because what I want is enchantments that look like this.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but: yes, unironically this.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zoness posted:

But hexproof decks don't play cards that make their cards hexproof?

:psyduck:

EDIT: Also, has gotten plenty of play in the past, not as relevant currently:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I wonder if Battlemage and that Izzet goblin will lead to some funky UR Valuetown decks.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

:psyduck:

EDIT: Also, has gotten plenty of play in the past, not as relevant currently:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=7060&d=240591&f=ST

I dunno man, I don't see it in the up-to-date hexproof lists.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 15, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm still holding out hope that it will get one last shot before this season is over.... I miss my token decks.

Well I mean if you think Pharika and an anthem is a thing that you would like to do in a Junk deck you probably could. I don't think it would be a deck that could take down a GP but you could probably have fun with it at FNM.

Sidebar is there any reason to be excited that Obzedat turning on B/W god during only your own turns is an interaction that can occur?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zoness posted:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=7060&d=240591&f=ST

I dunno man, I don't see it in the up-to-date hexproof lists.

Not saying it's getting play at the moment (I haven't really played or looked at hexproof in months), but Alpha Authority is a card that was in almost every hexproof list I saw a while back, nor is it a bad card. It's lost relevance with things like Witchstalker to suit up.

Just saying, it's something that's been done and CAN be done without much drawback (add something like Unflinching Courage for trample and not being able to use multiple blockers is extremely relevant). Personally, I'd rather stick Aqueous Form on a Witchstalker, but blue has fallen out of favor for red lately.

rabidsquid posted:

Well I mean if you think Pharika and an anthem is a thing that you would like to do in a Junk deck you probably could. I don't think it would be a deck that could take down a GP but you could probably have fun with it at FNM.

Sidebar is there any reason to be excited that Obzedat turning on B/W god during only your own turns is an interaction that can occur?

I know :smith: I'm just still sad that Selesnya hasn't been doing well this year. Nothing but wishful thinking.

Also, yes. I had that same thought. No real need to overextend into a wrath or leave him open to things like Glare of Heresy any longer than you have to.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 15, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Not saying it's getting play at the moment (I haven't really played or looked at hexproof in months), but Alpha Authority is a card that was in almost every hexproof list I saw a while back, nor is it a bad card. It's lost relevance with things like Witchstalker to suit up.

Just saying, it's something that's been done and CAN be done without much drawback (add something like Unflinching Courage for trample and not being able to use multiple blockers is extremely relevant). Personally, I'd rather stick Aqueous Form on a Witchstalker, but blue has fallen out of favor for red lately.

All right - here's an in-depth analysis of why this card isn't useful in a Hexproof shell. Naya Hexproof uses redundancy and hexproof and voice to blank like, 90% of the spells mono-black casts while using the efficiency of auras to outrace pack rats. That speed also lets it race Supreme Verdict, which is a luxury that Alpha Authority does not provide. By playing not-True Believer, you're playing a 2-drop that's vulnerable to every removal spell the rest of your creatures aren't, that doesn't come down before thoughtseize and is significantly less useful than voice.

It may have a place post rotation, and it probably has a place in an older format as a hatebear, but it doesn't belong in a hexproof shell because it forces you to play worse cards to make it work with the rest of your cards. The hexproof deck is tuned to be able to fight at least two of the top three decks in the format and playing this guy just makes it worse at doing exactly that.

As-is, you're just opening yourself up to much easier 2-for-1's by playing this card with the rest of a Hexproof shell, which is why it doesn't make sense.

The problem with playing auras that don't boost the power of your creatures is that you're just asking to lose to any deck with Verdicts at that point because they don't actually accelerate your clock.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 15, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zoness posted:

All right - here's an in-depth analysis of why this card isn't useful in a Hexproof shell. Naya Hexproof uses redundancy and hexproof and voice to blank like, 90% of the spells mono-black casts while using the efficiency of auras to outrace pack rats. By playing not-True Believer, you're playing a 2-drop that's vulnerable to every removal spell the rest of your creatures aren't, that doesn't come down before thoughtseize and is arguably less useful than voice.

It may have a place post rotation, and it probably has a place in an older format as a hatebear, but it doesn't belong in a hexproof shell because it forces you to play worse cards to make it work with the rest of your cards.

As-is, you're just opening yourself up to much easier 2-for-1's by playing this card with the rest of a Hexproof shell, which is why it doesn't make sense.

I should clarify: I wasn't defending whatever creature this is (too lazy to scroll back), I have no dog in that fight. Just saw "there's no way to make things hexproof" and jumped in with a pet favorite card and things I played in hexproof last season that have been underplayed recently. You're probably absolutely right otherwise.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So if I were to target the entire board with curse of the swine, including Thermatuge, wouldn't Thermatuge become hexproof and life would be incredibly boaring around him?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

So if I were to target the entire board with curse of the swine, including Thermatuge, wouldn't Thermatuge become hexproof and life would be incredibly boaring around him?

What does Hexproof mean?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

You can target your own hexproof guys.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

JerryLee posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but: yes, unironically this.

You are a bad person.

Nielsen trivia (whom I like much more than Guay): the art on Plea For Guidance, the BNG double Idyllic Tutor, was originally going to be for a straight up reprint of Idyllic Tutor. The dove appearing in both isn't a coincidence.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

You can target your own hexproof guys.

Oh yeah.
drat. :argh:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lunsku posted:

What does Hexproof mean?

I was more concerned with what creature Thermatuge [sic] was, since it sounded like it was a red creature of beast type or something.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zoness posted:

I was more concerned with what creature Thermatuge [sic] was, since it sounded like it was a red creature of beast type or something.

Thaumaturge is basically just a wizard. It's specific to Theros though, and I'm not sure if there's any connection with the similarly-named thaumaturgists.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Thaumaturge is basically just a wizard. It's specific to Theros though, and I'm not sure if there's any connection with the similarly-named thaumaturgists.

That's why Zoness put a [sic] in the post.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Sleep of Bronze posted:

That's why Zoness put a [sic] in the post.

I'm not sure what knowing how to spell something has to do with knowing what it is, but ok.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The idea was swapping in "Therma" implied it was like a heat wizard.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

E,fb on him being Hexproof, but you can still get away with this without targeting the Battlemage.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yeah, good luck without Lingering Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm going to predict that the answer is 'No', but does the Thaumaturge reduce Overload costs?

• Locked thread