Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Shellman posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but any recommendations for telephoto (probably zoom) on a full frame? Seems like 70-200 f/4 L non-IS is basically the bare minimum for entry. Is there anything comparable to the 55-250 for crop, or are the cheap ones mostly crap? I don't do a TON of work that the 24-105 isn't long enough for, but it'd be nice to have the longer end of the range covered.
You didn't specify a price range, so I'll suggest that the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x would be a flawless choice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mclifford82 posted:

Just Announced: Canon EOS-1D W: The Professional DSLR Designed Specifically for Wildlife Photographers

I am genuinely surprised that this isn't a A Thing already.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Just got my 70D in the mail. Holy poo poo I'm already in love with it. The buffer was the first thing I checked out. It took between 18-20 frames on a 90mb/s card (haven't tested on a 45 yet) with RAW and also tried it on Large and got about 130-ish before it fizzed out. The autofocus is quick as poo poo too. The 18-135 STM is a pretty solid lens too from my quick and curious trials with it. I doubt it'll replace my 17-50 2.8 but that STM will probably be my go to for video work. It's super quiet.

I'm really impressed with it compared to my t4i.

Really stoked on it. I can't wait for my next game so I can try it out with the Tamron 70-300. Which completely out performs the Canon 70-300 III that I was using before. The Macro on it is useful if you need one, but it's not a huge selling point for me.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

You didn't specify a price range, so I'll suggest that the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x would be a flawless choice...

I think the sigma 200-500 is really the obvious choice here.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004
I have a child on the way and obviously want to take some decent pictures of the thing so I decided now is as good a time as any to buy a dslr. I'm going to look at a 500D/T1i from craigslist tomorrow. It's priced at $200 and comes with an extra battery, bag and the default lens. Is this a decent camera? Anything I should look for specifically when I go check it out?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Things like whether the battery holds a charge aren't easy to test. Wife still loves her 500d to shoot our baby, so I'm sure you'll be happy. Get a fast prime at some point (prettier pictures in indoors light).

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
What would be a good Canon DSLR to recommend for a freelance journalist? That is, someone who primarily writes, but wants a capable DSLR around to take photos and video as needed, plus hobby photography.

Budget is pretty tight. My gut says to go for a 70D with the 18-135 kit lens and maybe pick up a fast prime lens used. Or would it be better to go with a T5i or an SL1? And then put the money saved toward a better lens and all the other various camera accessories one inevitably needs, like a flash, a bag, a tripod, etc.

Again, money is an issue here. In what situations am I really going to notice the shortcomings of a T5i/SL1? What situations are going to make me wish I'd got a 70D instead?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It depends on how much cost is for you. A 70D with the 18-135 is something I just bought. I got it for about 1300 brand new. I like it a lot better than my T4i. However, like I said, it really depends on what you want to spend. If you had pms I'd PM you a kit I'm willing to sell (or you can wait later this week when I put it up in the actual buy/sell thread) which is a t4i. However, you won't go wrong with a 70D. The video on the 70D is phenomenal and that STM lens is tits. I like it a lot more than my T4i.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
I guess I'm mostly curious as to what specific situations I'd notice the shortcomings of a Rebel over a 70D.

And related, what if I went for a 60D over a 70D? What would I be missing out on?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Portfolio posted:

What would be a good Canon DSLR to recommend for a freelance journalist? That is, someone who primarily writes, but wants a capable DSLR around to take photos and video as needed, plus hobby photography.

Budget is pretty tight. My gut says to go for a 70D with the 18-135 kit lens and maybe pick up a fast prime lens used. Or would it be better to go with a T5i or an SL1? And then put the money saved toward a better lens and all the other various camera accessories one inevitably needs, like a flash, a bag, a tripod, etc.

Again, money is an issue here. In what situations am I really going to notice the shortcomings of a T5i/SL1? What situations are going to make me wish I'd got a 70D instead?

It really depends on what your covering. If you're doing sports or warzzones then you want the best burst rate and ISO performance possible. If it's just normal "talking-heads" type of stuff then an entry-level will do.

I'm a journalism student and in our class we have people using anything from entry-level DSLRs to your 1Ds to mirrorless. We sometimes swap gear depending on the assignment but generally we can at least get a decent enough picture for the paper with whatever we've got.

If you're selling stuff to the web though, they tend to want a lot more (good) pictures as well as video, in my experience.

Come ask the actual working pros in the journalism thread!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536198

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Portfolio posted:

I guess I'm mostly curious as to what specific situations I'd notice the shortcomings of a Rebel over a 70D.

And related, what if I went for a 60D over a 70D? What would I be missing out on?

The T4i with a Class 10 SD card will burst (in RAW) 5 FPS, then drop significantly down to ~2 FPS. I this would be the most limiting factor if you're going to be covering anything requiring a burst rate that's decent. I own the T4i and I love it, but it's not for bursty shooting whatsoever IMO. The body of the 70D is also much more comfortable to me and doesn't feel as awkward with heavy glass on the end of it.

If you have a local shop that will let you try each out untethered (unlike a Best Buy where holding it more than 2 ft from the display will sound the alarm), then I'd go and try each one out. If not, rent them and try them out ($106 for both bodies + 18-135 STM kit for 4 days on LensRentals.com). I did this when deciding between a 6D and 5D Mark III and consider it a great investment.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Speaking of the 60D, I still have one and some lenses for sale:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3619018

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The focus motor went bad in my 40mm pancake, and Canon is quoting $112 for the repair. I like having the lens around, but the repair doesn't really seem worth it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I paid less than that for the lens itself (granted, I bought it from someone ere but it was in as-new condition)
Suuuchh a good lens.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

The focus motor went bad in my 40mm pancake, and Canon is quoting $112 for the repair. I like having the lens around, but the repair doesn't really seem worth it.

sell the broken one for parts on ebay, and buy a new one

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Portfolio posted:

Get a used x0D (60D if you must have video, 40D if you don't) from KEH and invest in a fast walk around zoom. The Tamron 17-50 2.8 is always a recommendation, and that with one of the used bodies would be a good way to start for about $1000 or so. That plus a prime (because the thrifty 50 and pancake 40 are sooooo cheap) is a good place to start.

I know guys back in 2007-08 who were able to scrounge pennies and get 5Ds or find L glass, but they were also photo-j students, so it was an investment. If you're curious and want something better than an iPhone or point-and-shoot, the used/cheaper route is a good starting point.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
While I'm working on my portraiture, I've become interested in the idea of shooting figurative work. I was thinking that I don't like the idea of asking anyone I know to pose, and I don't have the hobby money to pay a model, so I came around to the idea of asking the local butoh troupe if they'd let me practice on them while they're practicing. In exchange, I'd give them free promotional material in the form of finished digital proofs, with all rights.

The question is, does anyone have experience shooting dancers? During practice or performance? Butoh performances (but I'm guessing not practice) usually have unusual lighting, so I'd have a technical hurdle to get over, but if anyone has any advice as to zooms they think would be good for this sort of thing, I'd appreciate it.

edit: since this would be shooting people doing rather extreme bodily control and focus, I couldn't use a flash of any sort. I imagine the same would be said for shooting any sort of dancing, but butoh involves stuff like trying to convey how a dying insect moves while balancing at the end of a rope, or on a chair, stuff like that.

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 10, 2014

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I am not too entirely sure, but I'd think that some "aspiring" models would do a quid pro quo deal where you both get practice and product. It's essentially what I'm doing now with my sports shoots. I'm offering free pictures for the opportunity to build my portfolio. Both parties are happy, and when I do decide to actually start charging, I have pictures I can back it up with.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've been using a 50D for a while. Recently, my parents have been talking about getting a camera. I've been unable to convince my dad to buy a really nice camera, so rather than having them buy a Rebel-series camera and then something really nice later on, I'm going to give my parents my 50D + Tamron f/2.8 17-50 and then buy another body myself.

So now I'm wondering what I should do. This just came up today, so I'm only going by what I've read today. Options:

Option 1: 70D
+AF
+Video Capabilities
+Flip Screen
-Low light

Option 2: 6D
+Full Form
+Low Light
-AF is not as flexible/good
-No flip screen
-Lenses will be more expensive

Option 3: Just let them get a Rebel-series camera.
Option 4: Wait for the 6D MkII

Current lenses: Tamron f/2.8 17-50, Canon 70-200 f/4, Canon 50 f/1.8

When it comes to budget, I view 70D and 6D as "equal", but I think lenses for the 6D will be more expensive, especially since I lose the artificial zoom from the crop sensor.

I don't want a 6D because the AF and flip screen of the 70D appeal to me, but then I do because the low-light capabilities of my 50D have frustrated me repeatedly and obviously going to a full-form sensor will improve that dramatically.

Anyone offer any thoughts?

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 14, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Flipscreen isn't a necessity. You're essentially pitting low light against AF. If you can figure out what'd ruin more pictures, a "shoddy" AF or noisy pictures, you know what you need to buy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Haha yeah, put it that way... But I'm less worried about the AF for pictures than I am for video, since either are better than my 50D, I think. I've never taken video, so I'm not really sure how it's supposed to work if the focus needs to be adjusted, etc. On the 6D, would I have to do that manually whereas the 70D will automatically refocus or something like that?

But if I'm going to go the route of the 6D, then I could probably either get a New Hotness or the current one for a much better deal. It sounds like it should be around shortly (relatively), which makes me hesitate in pulling the trigger for current 6D.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 14, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

totalnewbie posted:

I don't want a 6D because the AF and flip screen of the 70D appeal to me, but then I do because the low-light capabilities of my 50D have frustrated me repeatedly and obviously going to a full-form sensor will improve that dramatically.

I would go with the 6D personally. I don't think the AF performance will realistically cost you many shots, it would be a pretty useless camera if it was that bad. Meanwhile you always benefit from FF performance, and Canon's lens lineup is really built around full frame.

I think the bigger question is staying with current models versus waiting for something new to come out. Another option would be to wait until a new one comes out and then buy the older one on a good deal - there's a pretty good price premium for having the latest model, and it's better to let some doctor pay that for you.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 14, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
If you've ever considered dabbling in video then get a 70D. If you're more focused on improving as a serious photographer get a 6D. If you don't really care about either and just want something snazzy and easy, get the 70D.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

totalnewbie posted:

I've never taken video, so I'm not really sure how it's supposed to work if the focus needs to be adjusted, etc. On the 6D, would I have to do that manually whereas the 70D will automatically refocus or something like that?
Both cameras will autofocus in video mode. The 6D does contrast detection autofocus, which means it'll hunt if focus changes, since it can't figure it whether the subject came closer or went further. The 70D has phase detection autofocus in video mode, thanks to the dual pixel stuff, and is pretty quick and accurate. For video, it's better, because you don't get the focus hunting, which may ruin your videos.

Whether you actually need PDAF in video mode or not is up to you. Video sounds nice, but you need to be sure you need it, or whether it's some rose tinted glasses type of excitement for it.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think the bigger question is staying with current models versus waiting for something new to come out.
I doubt that there'll be a 6D MkII anytime soon. The next big thing is the 7D MkII, and the fabled 3D.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I took my 70D on it's first shoot yesterday and I can tell you that it was an absolute blast to shoot with. The flip screen is nice, and while I wouldn't call it a must have, it definitely helps out. Trying to get low or high angle shots are a lot easier, and the real nice benefit to the 70D is the fact that the flippy screen is also touch screen, which lets you essentially click what you want in focus. The autofocus system while in video is also really good. That STM lens is just so smooth with video it's nuts.

I don't regret that decision at all. Granted the 6D is a full frame camera, but it also comes down to your style of shooting. I didn't have a need for a full frame, and truthfully, the buffer on the 70D is a lot more refreshing, and I feel more comfortable just letting it rip without the buffer slowing down much.

I really can't wait until I have enough money saved to get a faster lens.

As far as low light goes, I haven't gone past 6400 ISO and the big issue is autofocus in that regard. To be fair, that's with a common problem with all cameras.

Also, why go against them getting a rebel? Is this just going to be a glorified point and shoot for them?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I wish my 5d3 had a touch sensitive flip screen.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Soulex posted:

I took my 70D on it's first shoot yesterday and I can tell you that it was an absolute blast to shoot with. The flip screen is nice, and while I wouldn't call it a must have, it definitely helps out. Trying to get low or high angle shots are a lot easier, and the real nice benefit to the 70D is the fact that the flippy screen is also touch screen, which lets you essentially click what you want in focus. The autofocus system while in video is also really good. That STM lens is just so smooth with video it's nuts.

I don't regret that decision at all. Granted the 6D is a full frame camera, but it also comes down to your style of shooting. I didn't have a need for a full frame, and truthfully, the buffer on the 70D is a lot more refreshing, and I feel more comfortable just letting it rip without the buffer slowing down much.

I really can't wait until I have enough money saved to get a faster lens.

As far as low light goes, I haven't gone past 6400 ISO and the big issue is autofocus in that regard. To be fair, that's with a common problem with all cameras.

Also, why go against them getting a rebel? Is this just going to be a glorified point and shoot for them?

Thanks. That's really the reason why I was interested in the flip screen; it would make taking pictures over crowds or low angle shots a lot easier.

My mom wants a nicer camera to have around to take pictures with. A Rebel would be sufficient for her purposes, really. However, my dad was really into photography when he was younger. Now that he's working, he doesn't have the time to be into photography anymore. However, he's going to retire in the next couple/few/never years and I'm sure he plans to buy a nice camera then; the Rebel would DEFINITELY be replaced in short order. I think, this way, he'll already have a nice camera when he retires. Or, if nothing else, maybe it will ease him into photography again, as he hasn't really touched a camera since the glory days of 35mm.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Bubbacub posted:

I wish my 5d3 had a touch sensitive flip screen.

Its ok. They can be jealous of our other superior aspects :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

FWIW, I have a 5D (Classic) and as old as that AF is, I never really miss shots. Have to be comfortable and familiar with it, but I don't think the 6D will have you cursing the camera very often if you are willing to learn the quirks. If you didn't need video I would say get a 5D. Having the extra bucks to go towards nice glass is great and you will eventually end up with a new body someday anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

At the end of the day, I would always choose full frame over crop when given the choice. I've shot 60D and 600D for years but always love using my friend's 5D2 so much more. It's probably due to coming from a 35mm film background, I just love the bigger viewfinder.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Quantum of Phallus posted:

At the end of the day, I would always choose full frame over crop when given the choice. I've shot 60D and 600D for years but always love using my friend's 5D2 so much more. It's probably due to coming from a 35mm film background, I just love the bigger viewfinder.

Doesn't the 7D have a 100% viewfinder?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah but it's 100% of an APS-C sized sensor so it'll be smaller than a 5D (I think!)

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Yeah but it's 100% of an APS-C sized sensor so it'll be smaller than a 5D (I think!)

You're still seeing 100% of the effective field of view. So if you have a 50mm lens on it, your effective FOV is 80mm. Your viewfinder is showing you 100% of that 80mm, which is what you will end up with in your image.

If that is incorrect, please let me know. That is my understanding.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Smaller than that of an equivalent lens on a full frame camera, but it's still the full view for the adapted focal length. If you put an 80mm lens on a 5D and a 50mm lens of a 7D you'll see the same thing through both viewfinders.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mclifford82 posted:

If that is incorrect, please let me know. That is my understanding.
That just influences what you see in the smaller finder, not how big it appears to you.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Smaller than that of an equivalent lens on a full frame camera, but it's still the full view for the adapted focal length. If you put an 80mm lens on a 5D and a 50mm lens of a 7D you'll see the same thing through both viewfinders.

mclifford82 posted:

You're still seeing 100% of the effective field of view. So if you have a 50mm lens on it, your effective FOV is 80mm. Your viewfinder is showing you 100% of that 80mm, which is what you will end up with in your image.

I know you'll see the full thing but I'm pretty sure the viewfinder in the 5D/6D/other full frame cameras is physically bigger than that in an APS-C

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Don't forget about magnification ratios. The 7D has a 100% (of APS-C) but it is also at a 1.0 magnification whereas the full frame viewfinders are usually something like ~.75. You literally get what you see on a 7D.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, after thinking about it...

FF vs flipscreen/AF is a pretty uneven fight
I don't do video now and don't really plan to very much

I guess I'll be going with a 6D.

Thanks a lot, jerks, now I get to spend a lot more money on both the body and lenses.

What should replace my 17-50 for my walkaround lens? The Tamron f/2.8 28-75?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
24-105 Canon or Sigma. Where you're going (ISO wise) you won't need f/2.8.

EDIT: Also get a 40mm pancake if you don't already have one just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

totalnewbie posted:

What should replace my 17-50 for my walkaround lens? The Tamron f/2.8 28-75?

The Tamron 28-75 isn't the best performer on full frame unless stopped down. I'd go with the Canon 24-105, they're the "kit" lens for a lot of FF bodies so they're cheaper used than the 24-70. If you can't afford that, maybe one of the older iterations of one of the pro zooms, for example the 28-70 f/2.8L or the 28-80 f/2.8-4L. You can pick up the 28-80 used for about the same price as the Tamron new, just double check you're getting the L version.

And yeah, get a 40/2.8 or a 50/1.4 or 50/1.8 if you don't already have one. I'd say the 40mm personally since I like wide-normals as walkaround lenses.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 15, 2014