Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Really this TSA freakout poo poo gets on my nerves because it's solely loving well off people that can afford to fly who are being just slightly put out by having their bags looked through before they travel 1000 miles in 2 hours. I guess it could be a problem from a philosophical perspective but it is just so far down the list of actual problems this country has that we should deal with it right after we deal with spam email or why TWC keeps swapping the channel numbers around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

zoux posted:

Really this TSA freakout poo poo gets on my nerves because it's solely loving well off people that can afford to fly who are being just slightly put out by having their bags looked through before they travel 1000 miles in 2 hours. I guess it could be a problem from a philosophical perspective but it is just so far down the list of actual problems this country has that we should deal with it right after we deal with spam email or why TWC keeps swapping the channel numbers around.

The 4th Amendment: Not really a big deal all the time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Shopping Bag Freedom Act. For gently caress's sake. :psyduck:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yes it is philosophically a 4th amendment issue but on the scale of harms it falls well under the problems of minorities getting disproportionally stopped and having their car searched or their doors kicked in on no knock warrants or stop and frisk policies that the anti-TSA activists are completely silent on and only started to care when suddenly they are affected by. Also they probably don't mind when the Arabic looking dude gets pulled out of line.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'll start taking Huckabee's complaints about the TSA seriously after he addresses the overreach of police action in the cases of Shem Walker, Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

zoux posted:

Yeah, I agree that now, a rich white man in America experiences more oppression than a person in North Korea because he is slightly inconvenienced before he goes rocketing through the stratosphere in a magic flying tube where he is waited on hand and foot by women and upon arrival is whisked away to his luxury hotel in the back of a stretch limousine.

Lol at the idea that Mike loving whitebread Huckabee has ever been frisked at an airport.

Those scanners will trigger on sweat in my experience, so I bet Huck gets frisked all the time.

Also, the TSA is a great thing to get mad about because it's a massively expensive useless boondoggle, but no, not because people get frisked or whatever dumb poo poo they cry about.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

zoux posted:

And it's profoundly stupid because most of the same people complaining now wanted the stringent screening procedures when the country was on high terror alert. Maybe unsurprising, though, because these people are probably straight up unable to remember policy positions they held even a year ago. I'm not mocking them here, I literally suspect their memories are that bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean the TSA is dumb and useless but it gets a disproportionate amount of white people crying about it. When there was a bill a couple of years ago to ban the TSA from Texas airports, Alex Jones marched on the Capitol with his army of crazy fucks to protest in favor of it. The FAA told the state that if the legislature banned the TSA (actually the bill would have made it a crime for a TSA agent to do his or her job) they would shut down every airport in the state. So after it had passed the House, the Senate blocked it.

Then Alex and his Army went to the wrong chamber to yell at the House members and call them cowards from the gallery for not passing a bill that they had actually passed!

This was posted in the pics thread but I don't have a barely related political picture to post in order to permit me to ask there so, any one know what organization was unironically using this graph?

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 15, 2014

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Ron Jeremy posted:

This American life?

"Hello I'm Ira Glass. This week on This American Life, three stories about the Internet. Act I: 'Oh my god, what is that man doing to his anus!' Act II: 'OP is a human being'. And Act III: Dickbutt."

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

zoux posted:

Yes it is philosophically a 4th amendment issue but on the scale of harms it falls well under the problems of minorities getting disproportionally stopped and having their car searched or their doors kicked in on no knock warrants or stop and frisk policies that the anti-TSA activists are completely silent on and only started to care when suddenly they are affected by. Also they probably don't mind when the Arabic looking dude gets pulled out of line.

Huckabee isn't really a fan of racial profiling. Doesn't change the fact you "ironically" said you care more about TV channels than TSA.

Spoilers Below posted:

I'll start taking Huckabee's complaints about the TSA seriously after he addresses the overreach of police action in the cases of Shem Walker, Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell...

I'll believe Muslims aren't terrorists when they denounce Al-Queda in a way that I see everyday. /sarc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

Huckabee isn't really a fan of racial profiling. Doesn't change the fact you "ironically" said you care more about TV channels than TSA.

Gah your use of ironic scare quotes around the word ironcally has undone me! Your retarded concern troll has won the day and now I will go hang myself in real life.

Yes I don't really care about the TSA because I can use critical thinking skills to analyze harms and actual practical effects rather than believe in a dumbass slippery slope theory where every thing ends at the federal government taking my guns away from me.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 15, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

Huckabee isn't really a fan of racial profiling.

quote:

Huckabee: "[T]here is no such thing" as "American looking." During the April 24 broadcast of Fox & Friends Saturday, Fox News host Mike Huckabee stated, "They're going to get sued. I predict they're going to lose. Because if you stop somebody and say, you know, he just doesn't look American to me, what does that mean? Walk the streets of New York and tell me, how do you know who's the American-looking, because there is no such thing."

Yeah this doesn't exactly make him a champion of minority rights. The fact that he's not screaming "SHOOT ALL THE WETBACKSILLEGALS" doesn't make him someone who isn't a whiny, privileged idiot. There's plenty of room for people to be privileged twits without being overtly racist.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

edit: my whole post was wrong so nevermind.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 15, 2014

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
Pfft, if you beat Facility in under 2:10, then you never have to worry about getting shot again. Fukken scrubs need better twitch.

[edit] oh you dick, editing your post and ruining my goldeneye joke

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

I mean the TSA is dumb and useless but it gets a disproportionate amount of white people crying about it. When there was a bill a couple of years ago to ban the TSA from Texas airports, Alex Jones marched on the Capitol with his army of crazy fucks to protest in favor of it. The FAA told the state that if the legislature banned the TSA (actually the bill would have made it a crime for a TSA agent to do his or her job) they would shut down every airport in the state. So after it had passed the House, the Senate blocked it.

Then Alex and his Army went to the wrong chamber to yell at the House members and call them cowards from the gallery for not passing a bill that they had actually passed!

This was posted in the pics thread but I don't have a barely related political picture to post in order to permit me to ask there so, any one know what organization was unironically using this graph?

It's something Reuters published, "sourced" from Florida's Dept. of Law enforcement. I think someone in Reuters thought "gun deaths = bad = should be low" or they just learned how to invert the axis or something if "sourced" just means "got the data from", otherwise maybe FDLE cooked it. It shows up in a lot of the "worst charts/infographics" lists.
http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-deaths-in-florida-increased-with-stand-your-ground-2014-2

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Magres posted:

Yeah this doesn't exactly make him a champion of minority rights. The fact that he's not screaming "SHOOT ALL THE WETBACKSILLEGALS" doesn't make him someone who isn't a whiny, privileged idiot. There's plenty of room for people to be privileged twits without being overtly racist.

So what's the new goalpost for having 4A concerns worth listening to, if it's not opposing racial profiling by law enforcement? Does Huckabee need to be the new MLK first now? The hypothetical was that him or maybe someone like him wouldn't care if a dude with a turban was pulled out by the TSA. Plenty of those folks exist, but in this case I agree with the Huckster.

zoux posted:

Yes I don't really care about the TSA because I can use critical thinking skills to analyze harms and actual practical effects rather than believe in a dumbass slippery slope theory where every thing ends at the federal government taking my guns away from me.

This is like an irony singularity where I can't tell who's trolling whom. You win.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

That image... holy poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My first thought was that they were going from blood pouring in from the ceiling, horror movie style, and the further down it reaches the more deaths it represents.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If Huckabee didn't want people putting their hands on him then he would stop dressing like a whore.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Samurai Sanders posted:

My first thought was that they were going from blood pouring in from the ceiling, horror movie style, and the further down it reaches the more deaths it represents.

I'd imagine that was the story as to why they chose the particular format that they did. Of course, it's still hilariously misleading.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

DeusExMachinima posted:

So what's the new goalpost for having 4A concerns worth listening to, if it's not opposing racial profiling by law enforcement? Does Huckabee need to be the new MLK first now? The hypothetical was that him or maybe someone like him wouldn't care if a dude with a turban was pulled out by the TSA. Plenty of those folks exist, but in this case I agree with the Huckster.

Mayhaps he should be speaking to the gentlemen who created the TSA, and accused anyone who complained at the time of "wanting the terrorists to win". You know, rather than rabble rousing against the current administration to score political points with yet more "Tyranny!" rhetoric for Tea Party mouth breathers.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
What's he bitching at? Probably doesn't even have to stand in line with the rest of us.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

paragon1 posted:

If Huckabee didn't want people putting their hands on him then he would stop dressing like a whore.

At least he doesn't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you oval office.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Magres posted:

Wait, Huckabee didn't claim that the entire population of NYC is unAmerican? Clearly a RINO.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually (still a terrible graphic obviously but) that's a pretty good guess.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Magres posted:

I'm surprised he mentioned NYC at all, that's hardly the heartland of America.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

As someone who takes the visual presentation of scientific data very seriously as a matter of professional concern, that graph makes me want to hang myself by the neck until dead.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
So how do you explain that after the spike in gun deaths there was a reversal for a couple of years. Did people just murder defend themselves from all the people they wanted to shoot and had to wait for the supply to build up again?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
If the graph wasn't so obnoxious to look at, am I reading it right and that there was a long term downward trend in gun violence until SYG in 2005, in which case is spiked to a new level that's plateaued into into a higher average?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Poisson error on the mean is of order 30 anyway. Not a lot of information there, mostly noise in a random variable.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 15, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

You're conflating being pro immigration and anti-TSA with being against minority rights abuse in general.

I will happily give you that he's a decent human being (or at the very least, significantly less horrible than his peers) on immigration. Meanwhile, he wants stiffer drug laws, thinks drug education doesn't work and that drug punishment is the way to go, wants to build more prisons, and thinks we should privatize them.

E: Holy hell that graph is unbelievably misleading. Definitely thought it was gun deaths dropped after SYG passed, not that they spiked. Like it's irrelevant because the entire idea it's selling is a causal link (or at least important correlation) between the two and it's a bunch of crap, but it's even more poo poo than I thought.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Magres posted:

You're conflating being pro immigration and anti-TSA with being against minority rights abuse in general.

I will happily give you that he's a decent human being (or at the very least, significantly less horrible than his peers) on immigration. Meanwhile, he wants stiffer drug laws, thinks drug education doesn't work and that drug punishment is the way to go, wants to build more prisons, and thinks we should privatize them.

Huckabee is the most terrifying potential Republican candidate and by far the most electable. He's the only one in the stable that I think would have a reasonable chance of beating Clinton. Fortunately he wants the $$$ more than the office.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Huckabee is the most terrifying potential Republican candidate and by far the most electable. He's the only one in the stable that I think would have a reasonable chance of beating Clinton. Fortunately he wants the $$$ more than the office.
I'm not sure. He's not the same sort of blatant electoral poison that some of the other candidates are, and he could win a primary unlike some candidates that aren't electoral poison, but I don't know if he holds any appeal to moderates.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Magres posted:

E: Holy hell that graph is unbelievably misleading. Definitely thought it was gun deaths dropped after SYG passed, not that they spiked. Like it's irrelevant because the entire idea it's selling is a causal link (or at least important correlation) between the two and it's a bunch of crap, but it's even more poo poo than I thought.

It's not even gun deaths, it's gun MURDERS meaning criminal gun deaths, which would presumably be lowered by virtue of there being more ways to rule a gun death lawful, but then that didn't even happen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JT Jag posted:

I'm not sure. He's not the same sort of blatant electoral poison that some of the other candidates are, and he could win a primary unlike some candidates that aren't electoral poison, but I don't know if he holds any appeal to moderates.

What scares me about him particularly is that unlike, well, all other Republican candidates, he seems to generally avoid unforced errors. All of the clown car candidates from 2012 had an amazing ability to shoot themselves in the foot by saying stupid things; Obama didn't have to actually beat them, he could let them beat themselves. Huckabee is sharp enough that he can generally avoid that and put a positive spin on his crazy. In a presidential election that's a *really* important skill to have.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What scares me about him particularly is that unlike, well, all other Republican candidates, he seems to generally avoid unforced errors. All of the clown car candidates from 2012 had an amazing ability to shoot themselves in the foot by saying stupid things; Obama didn't have to actually beat them, he could let them beat themselves. Huckabee is sharp enough that he can generally avoid that and put a positive spin on his crazy. In a presidential election that's a *really* important skill to have.

He says stupid poo poo about women all the time.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Huckabee was a fluke in '08, and as sharp as moon pie after his enlightening experience of winning a primary.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

You realize you are saying you agree that being frisked by the TSA is equivalent to or worse than anything the North Korean government does. Because that's what he said.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

He says stupid poo poo about women all the time.

His side doesn't see that as an error.

But yeah, I don't see him as electable in the general. Or even the primary, really. Huckabee may come off as likable to most people, but not the sort of person they'd like to be president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

His side doesn't see that as an error.

But yeah, I don't see him as electable in the general. Or even the primary, really. Huckabee may come off as likable to most people, but not the sort of person they'd like to be president.

I think one of the main problems he had in 2008 is that "Huckabee" is a silly-sounding name and it's impossible to take anyone named "President Huckabee" seriously. Eight years later it's not gonna be any less silly.

• Locked thread