Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

life is killing me posted:

Yeah excuse me for attempting to discuss a match. It was less about the skins than you read into it.

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Yeah excuse me for attempting to discuss a match. It was less about the skins than you read into it.

Yeah, I really don't mind bet-chat at all, anyway.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Im getting back in to this, haven't played in over 10 years. My mouse sensitivity is giving me a lot of trouble. I was reading that low is good , high is bad. I usually use a very sensitive when not gaming and i cant seem to get used to low sensitivity. I do a 360 in 6 inches and that still feels very slow to me. Is that too quick? Will it eventually hurt me if I play long enough to get good?

Another question. Should I start playing with the Steam Goon group or should I try to get reasonably good by playing other noobs first?

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

bpower posted:

Im getting back in to this, haven't played in over 10 years. My mouse sensitivity is giving me a lot of trouble. I was reading that low is good , high is bad. I usually use a very sensitive when not gaming and i cant seem to get used to low sensitivity. I do a 360 in 6 inches and that still feels very slow to me. Is that too quick? Will it eventually hurt me if I play long enough to get good?

Another question. Should I start playing with the Steam Goon group or should I try to get reasonably good by playing other noobs first?

You should lower your sensitivity to at least half of that. Mine is set for a 13" 360. The best way to get good at the game is by playing with good people, so goonmans are a great way to do that. Just make sure you let your teammates know you're really new so they can try to tell you what to do for your first several games.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

bpower posted:

Shoot for a 15+ inch/360

Try out a goonman, see how you do and then you'll know.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

bpower posted:

Come get shouted at in some goongames, it's a great way to trade a ton of self-esteem for a small amount of gain CS:GO knowledge.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

progaming.jpg:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

whoknew posted:

progaming.jpg:

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

RadioPassive posted:

Come get shouted at in some goongames, it's a great way to trade a ton of self-esteem for a small amount of gain CS:GO knowledge.

Will it be good-natured ribbing between comrades-in-arms or angry neckbeards calling me human being?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

bpower posted:

Will it be good-natured ribbing between comrades-in-arms or angry neckbeards calling me human being?

Somewhere in between, probably closer to the latter.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

bpower posted:

I only play occasionally but anytime I've seen a newbie around goonmans it's been pretty positive as long as they are willing to learn how to play correctly (ie buying the right things, playing spots, etc). Honestly much better than goons in a lot of other communities.

If you just dick around and refuse to cooperate with anyone you will probably get yelled at but then you're a dickhead if you do that anyway.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

dy. posted:

I only play occasionally but anytime I've seen a newbie around goonmans it's been pretty positive as long as they are willing to learn how to play correctly (ie buying the right things, playing spots, etc). Honestly much better than goons in a lot of other communities.

If you just dick around and refuse to cooperate with anyone you will probably get yelled at but then you're a dickhead if you do that anyway.

Ah yeah, I was only half serious. I was in the total war goon group and everyone was super helpful.

This might sound silly, but is your CS setup a bit like a golf swing in that if you try to change it you could "lose it" for a while? Or can you make adjustments all the time? Im thinking of gradually lowering my sensitivity over time.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Change it to something then stick with it. loving with it a lot will just wreck your muscle memory.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

bpower posted:

This might sound silly, but is your CS setup a bit like a golf swing in that if you try to change it you could "lose it" for a while? Or can you make adjustments all the time? Im thinking of gradually lowering my sensitivity over time.
Yes and lowering it gradually is a legit idea

But look at it this way -- do you want to suck poo poo a lot for a handful of rounds until you get used to drastically lowered sensitivity? Or do you want to suck poo poo a little for a really long time as you lower it gradually?

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

whoknew posted:

progaming.jpg:

That whole thread is full of people who should probably never speak or share a thought ever again but I like the last part of this one lol

The immaturity in the professional ranks should be squashed immediately. An immediate ban should take place. There is no reason to be offensive, period. Being a 14 year old douche in a pub is one thing, but being a pro gamer is an honor that should be held to a higher standard.

also killallnerds

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

That whole thread is full of people who should probably never speak or share a thought ever again but I like the last part of this one lol

The immaturity in the professional ranks should be squashed immediately. An immediate ban should take place. There is no reason to be offensive, period. Being a 14 year old douche in a pub is one thing, but being a pro gamer is an honor that should be held to a higher standard.

also killallnerds

Companies like zowie/steelseries/razer/whoever else sponsors esports teams should just drop any players/teams that do dumb childish poo poo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

astr0man posted:

Companies like zowie/steelseries/razer/whoever else sponsors esports teams should just drop any players/teams that do dumb childish poo poo.

They do if they get emails to their PR department. This got several sc2 players kicked off their teams when companies like kingston got complaints. I hadn't even heard of k1ck before but that is one of their sponsors.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

bpower posted:

That isn't cool with the rules so no you probably won't have that

Salt Fish posted:

They do if they get emails to their PR department. This got several sc2 players kicked off their teams when companies like kingston got complaints. I hadn't even heard of k1ck before but that is one of their sponsors.

Salt Fish like Ackee and saltfish?

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 15, 2014

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp
What determines what rank you get after completing 10 competitive matches?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Finnin posted:

What determines what rank you get after completing 10 competitive matches?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

For starters you don't get ranked after completing 10 matches but rather after winning 10.

So, basically the amount of rating points you won/lost given the rating of the opponents you've been facing. Unless you're queuing up with higher ranked guys I think the odds are getting ranked in the silver range cause you'll mostly be facing silver/no-rank dudes.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

You'll face better opponents in your placement games if you win enough.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

mcvey posted:

You'll face better opponents in your placement games if you win enough.

Yeah, from what I understand you are assigned a rank right away, it's just not shown until you win 10 games because its not statistically significant. Also, unless all the people claiming they downranked after a win are full of poo poo, doesn't it take your KDR into account as well as whether you won or lost?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Just guessing here, but your first loss is probably the biggest factor on your initial placement. Before that, the system will probably rank you up much faster than you normally would.

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah, from what I understand you are assigned a rank right away, it's just not shown until you win 10 games because its not statistically significant. Also, unless all the people claiming they downranked after a win are full of poo poo, doesn't it take your KDR into account as well as whether you won or lost?

If it's like what they said their DOTA2 MMR code is like, than they calculate how much of an impact you're likely to make in the match and use it to modify how high/low it'll go. I've personally seen someone rank up from a tied game.

Also, a few days ago two of the opposing team ragequit and immediately dropped the game and the rest of the team surrendered after I went 15-3-0 in the first few rounds at double AK. I was very disappointed that I didn't just immediately rank up in honor of it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I think that I saw my first hackers in MM, and it was a really strange experience. These two guys whose names were characters that showed up as empty spaces in the scoreboard and kill messages somehow votekicked the other 3 members of their team, and then would kill themselves at spawn and take over a bot. They would then proceed to deagle headshot us very quickly at any and all ranges.

Anyway, really surreal game because of that. Do you get any message if someone you reported gets overwatched and banned?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Zwiftef posted:

If it's like what they said their DOTA2 MMR code is like, than they calculate how much of an impact you're likely to make in the match and use it to modify how high/low it'll go. I've personally seen someone rank up from a tied game.

Also, a few days ago two of the opposing team ragequit and immediately dropped the game and the rest of the team surrendered after I went 15-3-0 in the first few rounds at double AK. I was very disappointed that I didn't just immediately rank up in honor of it.

I've personally ranked up from a tie, but that makes sense -- a lower ranked team tying a higher-ranked team merits an adjustment in their respective ratings. Ranking up from a loss does not make sense unless KDR (or some other factor, MVP stars? please God no) is taken into account.

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp

emanresu tnuocca posted:

For starters you don't get ranked after completing 10 matches but rather after winning 10.

So, basically the amount of rating points you won/lost given the rating of the opponents you've been facing. Unless you're queuing up with higher ranked guys I think the odds are getting ranked in the silver range cause you'll mostly be facing silver/no-rank dudes.

Yeah I ranked silver 2 and I think it's a bit unfair as I dominated over 75% of my matches with most kills, etc.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Zwiftef posted:

I have played a lot of games like that too on either side.

I don't know how matchmaking works really because I have been queued up on my alt account (no rank shown yet) and we have been crushed by dudes who were relatively pro compared to our team. I'm definitely not good, maybe silver elite level on a good day and even in games like this where we get crushed I manage a decent KDR and sometimes come out on top of my team. But then after the game ends none of the other team has any rank. Is smurfing really so common that whole teams will be smurfing, or is it just the odds because the matchmaking thinks they are all new players? What are the odds that the rest are decent and their team is being carried by a smurf who is vastly better than everyone else?

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

I have played a lot of games like that too on either side.

I don't know how matchmaking works really because I have been queued up on my alt account (no rank shown yet) and we have been crushed by dudes who were relatively pro compared to our team. I'm definitely not good, maybe silver elite level on a good day and even in games like this where we get crushed I manage a decent KDR and sometimes come out on top of my team. But then after the game ends none of the other team has any rank. Is smurfing really so common that whole teams will be smurfing, or is it just the odds because the matchmaking thinks they are all new players? What are the odds that the rest are decent and their team is being carried by a smurf who is vastly better than everyone else?

It is my experience that smurfs/hackers are extremely common inversely proportional to the last time CS:GO was on sale.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Reportedly it's not based just on wins/losses, someone tried starting two new accounts only playing together and they still got different rankings after 10 wins. If it were straight ELO, or anything that doesn't account for individual performance, they'd have been ranked the same.

I've only heard that second-hand, though.

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp
Is there a way to see stats only from competitive matches?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Finnin posted:

Is there a way to see stats only from competitive matches?

Some stats, yes. In the main menu, go to awards>leaderborads and you can see what stats you want to see and what game mode.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

mcvey posted:

Shoot for a 15+ inch/360

Try out a goonman, see how you do and then you'll know.

I wonder if there's a thing as a sensitivity that's too low

It takes three widths of my qck+ for me to do a 360

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

AugmentedVision posted:

Ephedra. Left handed inverted 30 inch/360 top fragger like how what how

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

mcvey posted:

Ephedra. Left handed inverted 30 inch/360 top fragger like how what how

Except three widths of a qck+ is almost double that

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

AugmentedVision posted:

Except three widths of a qck+ is almost double that

Depending on orientation of the pad it means you're looking at a 45-51 inch 360. Which sounds kind of frustrating because at super low sensitivities you're constantly needing to pick up the mouse to reset it's position so you can rotate more. Just some quick napkin math supposes that with something that low you can't even reasonably push and watch ideal angles up Cat/Short on Dust2 as T without having to lift the mouse at least 3 times, probably more.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Cuntpunch posted:

Depending on orientation of the pad it means you're looking at a 45-51 inch 360. Which sounds kind of frustrating because at super low sensitivities you're constantly needing to pick up the mouse to reset it's position so you can rotate more. Just some quick napkin math supposes that with something that low you can't even reasonably push and watch ideal angles up Cat/Short on Dust2 as T without having to lift the mouse at least 3 times, probably more.

It's 45 inches -- it's a little less than 3 total widths. I'm a tall dude and I move my entire arm to aim, so I have like 130-140 degrees without shuffling. But yeah I should probably try turning it up. I definitely have more trouble in point blank sprayfests than I do clicking heads.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

AugmentedVision posted:

It's 45 inches -- it's a little less than 3 total widths. I'm a tall dude and I move my entire arm to aim, so I have like 130-140 degrees without shuffling. But yeah I should probably try turning it up. I definitely have more trouble in point blank sprayfests than I do clicking heads.

Quick napkin math says something isn't quite adding up. Just to make the math easy, let's say 3 full widths = 360 degrees. 1 width then means 120 degrees. Supposing you keep your mouse centered on the mousepad most of the time that means you're getting about 60 degrees of rotation before you've got to lift and reset. So 130-140 degrees for a full "I know I need to turn right so I pre-emptively put the mouse all the way to the left of the pad" makes sense, but it still means you're going to have a bad time with left-right-left-right 90-degree turns.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Cuntpunch posted:

Quick napkin math says something isn't quite adding up. Just to make the math easy, let's say 3 full widths = 360 degrees. 1 width then means 120 degrees. Supposing you keep your mouse centered on the mousepad most of the time that means you're getting about 60 degrees of rotation before you've got to lift and reset. So 130-140 degrees for a full "I know I need to turn right so I pre-emptively put the mouse all the way to the left of the pad" makes sense, but it still means you're going to have a bad time with left-right-left-right 90-degree turns.

I meant total rotation, not to each side. I've just gotten extremely used to shuffling. I mean it is at least normal to have to shuffle once to turn 180*, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AugmentedVision posted:

I was at a 27.3"/360 up until a couple weeks ago. I'm now down to ~18"/360. Still adjusting.

• Locked thread