Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

amuayse posted:

Huh. I heard stuff about Masterwork being controversial in the Bay community. Is it because it promotes modding stagnation or something?

No, that's because the Bay12 community is horrendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

amuayse posted:

Huh. I heard stuff about Masterwork being controversial in the Bay community. Is it because it promotes modding stagnation or something?

The Bay12 community is basically Fyad.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

MohawkSatan posted:

No, that's because the Bay12 community is horrendous.

Yup, pretty much this.

Gibbo posted:

No, not really.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

amuayse posted:

That's horse-poo poo. Next they're going to tell me that the Mount and Blade Warband Floris mod pack caused M&B modding to stagnate.

Also, I don't think there's really a singular "Bay community." There's the "I only play DF Fortress mode, check out my awesome run-of-the-mill story LOL" nerds, the "Say, Toady, have you considered multi-threading?" coders, modders, and script kiddies, some ditzy art class retards, and like 40 people who play Liberal Crime Squad and DF Adventure mode.

Of all of these people, the shut-in programmers are probably the only ones worthy of having an opinion on DF mods imo. Filter out everyone else.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Gibbo posted:

Have you ever actually spent time in FYAD?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Daeren posted:

Fine. As lovely and intelligent as FYAD. Not actually "basically fyad". Better?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Fine. As lovely and intelligent as FYAD. Not actually "basically fyad". Better?

Daeren posted:

CommonTerry posted:

and like 40 people who play Liberal Crime Squad and DF Adventure mode.

Admittedly, Liberal Crime Squad is pretty great.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
I don't actually know how to play Fortress mode, but I can rock the poo poo out of Adventurer mode. I am the reverse of almost everyone who plays this gamedwarf simulator.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's quite fun to make your own dungeons in Fortress Mode and explore them in Adventure Mode. Use the DFhack Lair command first though.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
I hope someday Toady codes in some classic roguelike dungeons to explore in DF:A. Although he'll probably be a disembodied brain in a vat with wires connecting him to the internet by that point.

SonofSonofDeon posted:

Hoi Toady this new version of Dorf Fort is totally shway! But my quantum rig almost fragged out trying to run it, maybe you could try multi-threading so I don't have to slot some jing for a new deck. That'd be wiz."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

amuayse posted:

It's quite fun to make your own dungeons in Fortress Mode and explore them in Adventure Mode. Use the DFhack Lair command first though.

We should do a kind of LP in which one person makes a fort-dungeon, and then the next person explores it in adventure mode then makes their own, and so on. Just like a smallish one that won't take too long to create.

You can do some pretty neat things with dfhack.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I really try to like MW but every time I open the mods menu and My little Fortress: Friendship is Magma AND (they weren't happy with just the one, oh no) DF: Fallout Equestria stare back at me, I instantly close everything, uninstall the game and throw away the hard disk.

But seriously, my MW games always seem to end up breaking after I hit 100 dwarves, either by hard crashes or in-game bugging out; never had any big problems with vanilla.

It's a pity cause some of the MW ideas (FURNITURE SHOP) are amazing.

At the moment trying out with the Essential mod which seems a refinement of Modest, anyone have any experience with it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

canepazzo posted:

But seriously, my MW games always seem to end up breaking after I hit 100 dwarves, either by hard crashes or in-game bugging out; never had any big problems with vanilla.

Play for a while with Invaders disabled - yes I know it's not nearly as cool, but for diagnostic purposes. This was how I nailed down for sure that some invader group was causing my crashes, you may have the same problem. I'm still not quite sure which group is/are the big offender but at least now I know why my crashes were happening, I ran a sandbox fort for about 10 years with only a couple of crashes.

For Masterwork Warlocks, how do you make pens, for writing books/villainous academy?

e: and now for a warlock fort with training wheels off (I think Humans were causing my crashes) - thank you random name generator, CHANTBITCHES is just fine. Embarking with basically nothing but 34 female beak dogs and one male :black101:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 15, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I've always avoided masterwork because DF is buggy and complicated enough as it is.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I googled beakdogs.

what.

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 15, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Beak dog, as imagined by Zach Adams.

:psydwarf:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Haha what the hell?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
This. It's this.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I always figured the dog part of the name wasn't referring to their appearance but rather the role they have in goblin society; loyal pets and friends that faithfully defend their masters.

And they also ride them. Just like...dogs.

Okay maybe that doesn't work so well.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So where does the beak come in? Perhaps it is a flying snake. Only things with beaks can fly, ergo beakdog.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

canepazzo posted:

At the moment trying out with the Essential mod which seems a refinement of Modest, anyone have any experience with it?

I personally like it. Recently Deon's been getting script happy with Putnam's syndrome hacks in Apolcaypse and Genesis, so it's nice to play a version of the game that gives the basic DF experience and doesn't have an aneurysm every 5 minutes. It's faster too since no more retarded giant/men animals.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A dwarven siege team invaded me in my first year, got into a fight with a pair of grimelings early on, and a year later they're still brawling. One of the grimelings is missing a hand, both of them have literally pages of scars. What the gently caress grimelings.

Also the bitches of Chantbitches are not breeding, but the mephits are popping out litters of baby mephits. What the gently caress beak bitches.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I imagined beak dogs to be like doggy griffons without wings. I didn't expect... that. Did the goblins come up with that name? If so, they are the worst namers ever.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Spanish Matlock posted:

This. It's this.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Sure it isn't this? In any case, Beak Dogs are great.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Man it's easy to forget about DF when you have a new devlog I mean video card.

Toady One posted:

I did the things I wanted to do with intruder detection. Moving on to the vampire/god tweak I mentioned on the 19th, I ran into a new world gen crash, but it reproduces so hopefully that'll be cleaned up soon.

What loving things. :confused:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Beakdogs

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'll take it.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Except they're bipedal

Spanish Matlock posted:

This. It's this.

Yep.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I have a problem getting Masterwork to run. It's and rMBP with Windows 7 on Bootcamp. I download the file from the Bay12/Masterwork forum and unrar. If i try to launch the configurator, it shows the loading screen and then dies (...has stopped working system message). I can run the attached DF directly, but then I can only gen a small world. Going with any of the large ones results in DF hanging on history generation, around the 900 year mark. It's a monster of a machine, so memory should not be a problem. Can anyone help?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
My garbage laptop has the same problem, except it's normally around 150-200 years. Just end history gen early, it doesn't change too much.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Mokotow posted:

I have a problem getting Masterwork to run. It's and rMBP with Windows 7 on Bootcamp. I download the file from the Bay12/Masterwork forum and unrar. If i try to launch the configurator, it shows the loading screen and then dies (...has stopped working system message). I can run the attached DF directly, but then I can only gen a small world. Going with any of the large ones results in DF hanging on history generation, around the 900 year mark. It's a monster of a machine, so memory should not be a problem. Can anyone help?

Read the warning message sometime. World gen will have issues once you get that far into a large world. I usually cut my larges around 600 years if I really want a long history.

AXE COP posted:

My garbage laptop has the same problem, except it's normally around 150-200 years. Just end history gen early, it doesn't change too much.

But really you can just do this. It'll be fine.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
I want to put some tigers, grizzly bears, or other vicious animal in my dry moat for extra fun. Do they need to consistently eat meat in the same way that herbivores need to graze, or are they ok with the occasional kobold? I might give my vampire an axe and throw him in there too; the rear end in a top hat keeps getting elected mayor despite being entombed in a bare cell.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

KERNOD WEL posted:

I want to put some tigers, grizzly bears, or other vicious animal in my dry moat for extra fun. Do they need to consistently eat meat in the same way that herbivores need to graze, or are they ok with the occasional kobold? I might give my vampire an axe and throw him in there too; the rear end in a top hat keeps getting elected mayor despite being entombed in a bare cell.
Non-grazing animals will subsist on air; they do not need to eat (and will certainly not attempt to eat prisoners - a few species are supposed to devour bones but I don't recall whether they actually do so). Remember that they will eventually die of old age and that they can usually be shot by goblin bows (when standing on the banks of the moat), so you'll need a replenishment strategy such as:
  • a captive-breeding program
  • a reliable cage-trap setup
  • a flourishing trade relationship with the elves

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I have a similar problem with worldgen blowing up if you let it run too long, apparently that's pretty common. Just set a cutoff of ~200 years or so. IMO the only thing it really affects is you have a smaller selection of poo poo to engrave, and maybe it's a bit less likely you'll have a lot of animals your culture has domesticated.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the topic of domestic animals, do the animals domesticated by a given fortress remain so for another fortress from the same civilization? It would be kind of neat to do a series of fortresses in various biomes, all from the same civilization, with the goal of eventually domesticating as many creatures as possible. Like the plot of pokemon, if Ash Ketchum solved problems by getting drunk and randomly pulling levers.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
Ash didn't really catch that many Pokemon. He could've just sat on his rear end and pulled levers and Professor Oak still would've patted him on the head like the retard he is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

On the topic of domestic animals, do the animals domesticated by a given fortress remain so for another fortress from the same civilization? It would be kind of neat to do a series of fortresses in various biomes, all from the same civilization, with the goal of eventually domesticating as many creatures as possible. Like the plot of pokemon, if Ash Ketchum solved problems by getting drunk and randomly pulling levers.

That's a good question really, and not that hard to test. It probably SHOULD work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

JamieTheD posted:

Sure it isn't this? In any case, Beak Dogs are great.

Was going to post this ^^^.