Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Incidentally I wound up watching condits ufc fights today. I started off wanting to check out Ellenbergers fights because in my mind he's got the same check boxes as Hendricks, great wrestler with a great chin who goes all out and frequently puts guys out in the first round but has had cardio issues, and I wanted to see what differences I could find between them. But I started with Ellenberger v Condit and got sidetracked watching Condit's fights instead because I love Stephan Bonnar in all his forms.

I don't know what planet condit won the ellenberger fight on, but its the one we live on I guess. If theres ever been a 10-8 round, it was the first against Ellenberger, who rattled Condit with a punch early and could take him down without much trouble, which is a common occurrence for Condit. And then he won the second round, too I thought. Either way it was a draw at best for Condit. Ellenberger, like everyone else, could barely do poo poo once he got condit on the ground though, except for after he was practically KO'd.

The next fight was the Rory MacDonald fight, which didn't go down anything like its reputation. I haven't seen it since it happened, but even I remembered it as Rory taking Condit down repeatedly and GnPing him until Condits incredible comeback, but thats not the case whatsoever. Rorys only takedowns came in the first round, and like everyone besides GSP he was totally unable to do anything to Condit. Condit got up rather easily. In the second round, Rory ended up on top once because condit slipped, and once by a tricky reversal after Condit actually had taken him down. The surprising thing was Rory was actually holding his own standing. Condit gets punched hard in the face by almost everyone. Anyway, the point is this fight is totally misrepresented almost every time it comes up. Rory doesnt dominate Condit on the ground at all. Condit gets him down and GnP's him in more than just the last round. Overall, I think Condit has one of the best top games with some of the best gnp in the division, if not the best.

Knowing what we know now and reviewing this fight, I think Rory probably is on the lower end of the great wrestlers at WW. He's the only one who couldn't get Condit down easily, got stuck in the guard like almost everyone, and he was actually winning a lot of the stand up exchanges so its not like he was desperate and going for bad takedowns. Thinking about his fights with Ellenberger, LAwler, and this one paint a pretty clear picture at least of where Rory is presently at. His stand up is pretty sophisticated and he understands distance and stuff pretty well, but he doesn't have the straight up dominant wrestling of Ellenberger, Pierce, Hendricks, Koscheck, etc. He used his cardio and stand up to keep Ellenberger away, and when he got into trouble standing with lawler he couldn't really get it down. That's my impression anyway.

The Nick Diaz fight also has weird mythology around it to some people about how Nick won or something, and he actually did keep the first couple rounds fairly close, but he never really rattled Condit, and even when he got his back it didn't last for long. I think everythings been said about this fight already. It was a good one. Weirdly, Condit seemingly expends a lot more energy, but Nick is kind of sluggish at the end and Condit pulled away further and further after the second round.

The GSP fight gets characterized in a total bullshit way frequently, too, like the only thing Condit did was land one kick. But he actually gets on top of GSP for a full minute and does great GnP. And of course he lands a lot of good strikes in every round, because he and GSP are well-matched standing. GSP's the only guy whose ever managed to do anything worthwhile in Condit's guard. he actually gets to half guard and lands some blows. Condit landed some good elbows off his back, managed to get up, did a decent triangle attempt, and towards the very end swept GSP beautifully but it didn't last long. I think, more than the takedowns, what led to GSP doing so well against Condit was his jiu jitsu. Every other guy in the division would have done jack poo poo in his guard and had to stand up and fight him without having done anything worth doing on the ground.

I already said about the hendricks fight the other day, and who cares about kampmann, but I did inform my opinion about Woodley a little bit. At the time I saw it, I thought he basically only trained to throw a counter right and shooting when Condit moved forward, and thats actually a great gameplan against Condit, since half the guys he fights rattle him with a big punch early, and can take him down. So basically I think Woodley did perform like the upper echelon of WWs, but its hard to say more than that, because he's far from the first guy to do that against Condit, and being able to do that isn't the same as being able to beat Condit, at all

Cool I just procrastinated a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Condit has the best guard in mma

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Condit has the best guard in mma

now that GSP has retired that might be true

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Panama Red posted:

I also really like guys who seem to have high fighting IQs and that's where the Maia love came from. (Of course I could be wrong about that and he could be a 'dumb' fighter, but it sounds like his underperformance is mostly due to lack of striking ability…?) I saw my fair share of PRIDE back in the day and was a huge Sakuraba fan precisely because he was the "IQ Wrestler" using smarts over brawn but nevertheless came to the ring dressed as luchadors and Super Mario. I'm less enamored with meatheads who come in and GnP or whatever and win through brute force alone. I'm much more likely to cheer for the guy who uses skill and smarts over just being bigger and stronger than the other guy.

You'd probably like Machida because he has one of the "smartest" fighting styles you can find, because his timing and control of range usually allow him to avoid taking any real damage on the way to landing devastating counters. He also spent most of his career fighting at light heavyweight where almost everybody was bigger than him, often by a significant margin. On the other hand his low-risk style makes some of his fights boring and frustrating to watch. Go ahead and skip the bouts with Rampage, Dan Henderson, and Phil Davis, but all the rest are pretty good. As a bonus for a fan of BJ Penn, you could try to find a video of Penn/Machida, which was an openweight bout where Machida weighed in sorta chubby at 225 lbs, BJ was blatantly obese at 191 lbs (!), and Machida still almost lost. He probably only picked up the split decision because 2 of the judges liked his visually impressive but tactically non-productive karate foot-sweep takedowns.

I would also recommend checking out Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson, the 125 lb. champ. Before that division was created in the UFC he fought as a notably undersized bantamweight with a lot of success. It's kind of a running joke how much Joe Rogan gushes over his technique, but he really is very very good, he fights smart, and it's a waste of time trying to describe how fast he is--you just have to watch him fight.

Finally, not in the UFC, but if you like grappling look up Shinya Aoki.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bundt Cake posted:

The next fight was the Rory MacDonald fight, which didn't go down anything like its reputation. I haven't seen it since it happened, but even I remembered it as Rory taking Condit down repeatedly and GnPing him until Condits incredible comeback, but thats not the case whatsoever. Rorys only takedowns came in the first round, and like everyone besides GSP he was totally unable to do anything to Condit. Condit got up rather easily. In the second round, Rory ended up on top once because condit slipped, and once by a tricky reversal after Condit actually had taken him down. The surprising thing was Rory was actually holding his own standing. Condit gets punched hard in the face by almost everyone. Anyway, the point is this fight is totally misrepresented almost every time it comes up. Rory doesnt dominate Condit on the ground at all. Condit gets him down and GnP's him in more than just the last round. Overall, I think Condit has one of the best top games with some of the best gnp in the division, if not the best.

Knowing what we know now and reviewing this fight, I think Rory probably is on the lower end of the great wrestlers at WW. He's the only one who couldn't get Condit down easily, got stuck in the guard like almost everyone, and he was actually winning a lot of the stand up exchanges so its not like he was desperate and going for bad takedowns. Thinking about his fights with Ellenberger, LAwler, and this one paint a pretty clear picture at least of where Rory is presently at. His stand up is pretty sophisticated and he understands distance and stuff pretty well, but he doesn't have the straight up dominant wrestling of Ellenberger, Pierce, Hendricks, Koscheck, etc. He used his cardio and stand up to keep Ellenberger away, and when he got into trouble standing with lawler he couldn't really get it down. That's my impression anyway.

I don't think anyone here really thinks Rory is all that good, but it amazes me that he is treated like the heir to GSP's throne by the MMA media when he does an awkward autism Ali shuffle or he can't deal with Lawler's footwork and aggression.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Panama Red posted:

Funny that should be brought up because I was just thinking about Big Nog being another favorite of mine and also a Brazilian and it stemming from him being such a soft-spoken and seemingly nice guy (I may be making this up but I remember something awhile back about Big Nog loving hugs? Maybe have been on TUF?). I definitely like guys who seem to genuinely enjoy themselves and don't feel the need to do a lot of macho chest-pounding and mean-mugging. There was a guy whose name escapes me who was very flamboyant and I think came to a weigh-in dressed as Hulk Hogan or something but then ended up losing at the PPV he was set to appear on… I liked him but he may have been cut after that.
I spent a little while thinking of people who don't come across as nice people.
  • Junior Dos Santos - Comes across as a Big Nog style goof in all his interviews, then gets in the ring and murders people. Amazing combination of nice guy and crazy good fighter. Watch his fight with Mark Hunt to see some stupendous striking, watch his fight with Roy Nelson if you really hate guys who look like Roy Nelson.
  • Bryan Ebersole - Doesn't win that much, but it's hard to win when you're trying to invent new kicks mid-fight.
  • Benson Henderson - A nice guy because so was Christ.
  • Marcus Brimage - A nice guy because was so was Goku.
  • Urijah Faber - A sunkissed California ideal, is too mellow to be anything but cool to people. Probably hugs a lot, doesn't own shirts. Appeared in the Pharrell Happy video, so he probably feels like a room without a roof.
I'm sure there's lots more, but all these guys tend to both have good fights along with not being dicks.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I hope that when Condit gets back, assuming Woodley isn't the champ and has lost to either Rory or Hendricks by then, they give him a rematch headlining a FS1 card.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

-Atom- posted:

There's nothing unreasonable about any of this.

Shut up

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010

1st AD posted:

I don't think anyone here really thinks Rory is all that good, but it amazes me that he is treated like the heir to GSP's throne by the MMA media when he does an awkward autism Ali shuffle or he can't deal with Lawler's footwork and aggression.

As one of his only fans in PSP, I do think Rory is really good or maybe he's just pretty good and will be really good in a couple of years. He's still very young and has outstruck everyone he's fought except Lawler. His wrestling is overrated and borderline weak at times but his GNP is brutal and I seriously enjoy his striking as much as most of you seem to hate it.

great post by bundt, completely agree about condit being hittable as hell but his chin and guard are both some of the best in the sport.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Panama Red posted:

I will definitely check these guys out and will look into the UFC Fight Pass trial as well. Thanks!

You should also check out Invicta, an organisation featuring only female fighters. All their events are free on Youtube and they are so good that the UFC pretty much just bought their entire strawweight division and will introduce it as their second female division later this year.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

Finally, not in the UFC, but if you like grappling look up Shinya Aoki.

Don't forget his insane best friend*, noted hater of knee joints and ligaments Mazakazu Imanari.

*I don't know if they're actually besties, but they do train together.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

MacDeuce posted:

has outstruck everyone he's fought except Lawler.

The notable strikers that Rory has outstruck include:

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
BJ Penn

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Dammit Maia, you were so close to beating Rory. We wouldn't have to hear about that rear end in a top hat as a title contender anymore for at least a year or so if Maia had been able to keep him grounded off his takedown in the 3rd.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Not relevant to autistic fascists but I love this post-fight most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un0HGw27c_A

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Maia is a 6th degree black belt in disappointment. The important thing to notice in his disappointment game is that it's not all about the flashy Marquardt KO's or the heartbreak of getting beat at his own art by Jake Shields, he's also a master at drawing you back in, finding equally uplifting moments like changing weight classes, Fitching Fitch, or wobbling Munoz on the feet to convince you to believe again and then BAM! He's got you.

He's totally about to knock two people out after grappling them for a few rounds and then he'll get choked out by Bisping or something, it's like the last avenue he has to completely drain me of my will to live.

Edit: Honestly I'm still reeling from Lobster Mobsters Author and Artist joke about Rory. Every time I see anything about autism it pops in my head.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 15, 2014

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

If theres ever been a 10-8 round, it was the first against Ellenberger, who rattled Condit with a punch early and could take him down without much trouble, which is a common occurrence for Condit.

Condit doesn't seem to fear the takedown. A lot of strikers will slow down their output, maintain range, and rely on counters to avoid being taken down. Condit doesn't do this at all, he just stands upright in the pocket and tries to beat the hell out of his opponent, and doesn't worry about getting hit or controlling where the fight goes, just about hurting them more than they hurt him wherever they take him. If they're standing, great, if they're clinching he's got nasty short strikes (particularly his elbows), if they take him down he's relentless off his back. And he makes sure they're always fighting up to meet his tempo all five minutes. The Diaz bros. do something similar but I think Condit is a little better at it, although it is true that his most notable departure from the usual gameplan was when he fought Diaz and won via technical striking, movement, and careful control of distance.

keep binge watching, I'm enjoying these posts

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

My fight IQ is very low but high enough to know that I enjoy watching two good or two really bad punchmen punch each other's faces and sometimes choke one another and bend limbs in ways they aren't meant to bend

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bundt Cake posted:

Incidentally I wound up watching condits ufc fights today. I started off wanting to check out Ellenbergers fights because in my mind he's got the same check boxes as Hendricks, great wrestler with a great chin who goes all out and frequently puts guys out in the first round but has had cardio issues, and I wanted to see what differences I could find between them. But I started with Ellenberger v Condit and got sidetracked watching Condit's fights instead because I love Stephan Bonnar in all his forms.

I don't know what planet condit won the ellenberger fight on, but its the one we live on I guess. If theres ever been a 10-8 round, it was the first against Ellenberger, who rattled Condit with a punch early and could take him down without much trouble, which is a common occurrence for Condit. And then he won the second round, too I thought. Either way it was a draw at best for Condit. Ellenberger, like everyone else, could barely do poo poo once he got condit on the ground though, except for after he was practically KO'd.

Digging these posts. Also I totally agree about the Ellenberger fight and that fight really made me take notice and start liking Ellenberger. Also one of the good things about him is that he is still pretty young and has been very active the past few years. His fight with Lawler is going to be great.

Panama Red posted:

I will definitely check these guys out and will look into the UFC Fight Pass trial as well. Thanks!

Also I'm hardly the best person to defend Sakuraba but what I remember about him was not that he was dominant but that he was consistently going up against bigger guys and exceeding expectations. Maybe I was just caught up in the spin of the moment but going up against Royce Gracie was a big deal and then he went toe-to-toe with Vovchanchyn before Saku's side threw in the towel. I also don't know what the consensus was/is about Rampage Jackson but I remember that being another instance where Saku was credited with keeping his head and managing to overcome a huge power difference to still pull out a victory. Of course, PRIDE was always looked at sideways even in its heyday and a lot of the stuff I thought was cool back then may not hold up today very well at all so if I'm totally off-base chalk it up to my ignorance.

I'm not trying to turn this into a "PYF grappling in MMA" but Maia vs Jason MacDonald was the first fight that got some of my friends into grappling because we were all jumping up and down and screaming at the television. UFC 87 was a great card from top to bottom anyway.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Someone send me a message on fight ICQ

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

LobsterMobster posted:

I need to track down Ben Saunders vs Brandon Wolff because that was an amazing display for muay thai clinch knee murder.

Yep.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It'll be a really sad day when Condit's chin finally cracks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lloyd Boner posted:

A likely sadder day is when he comes back from this surgery and has lost a step.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lloyd Boner posted:

He's got really good head movement so it'll be a while. Maybe it'll be a sneaky punchman or a returning Nick Diaz(now featuring leg kicks)

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Maia is a 6th degree black belt in disappointment. The important thing to notice in his disappointment game is that it's not all about the flashy Marquardt KO's or the heartbreak of getting beat at his own art by Jake Shields, he's also a master at drawing you back in, finding equally uplifting moments like changing weight classes, Fitching Fitch, or wobbling Munoz on the feet to convince you to believe again and then BAM! He's got you.

He's totally about to knock two people out after grappling them for a few rounds and then he'll get choked out by Bisping or something, it's like the last avenue he has to completely drain me of my will to live.
This image captures both why I want to be a Maia fan and what it's like to be a Maia fan.

We're all Rick Story.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

The next fight was the Rory MacDonald fight, which didn't go down anything like its reputation.

I've been saying this poo poo for a while. Every time Condit is on his back he beats the poo poo out of Rory while Rory looks like he's trying to get his arms unstuck from a giant fingertrap.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

WTF am I looking at?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Who's calling who gay in what language?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Uh as far as I can tell Jon Jones is going through the instagram posts of someone who called him out on his Gus talk and sending them messages calling them fags. The part right before that is the persons username or somesuch.

What a dick.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

It's real. Definitely coming from Jones' account. Hacked?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Jon Jones is the absolute worst

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Maybe Jon Jones is on steroids and he has an enlarged heart. Ever think of that ChampagneDanii?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Strip him of the belt Dana. Do it. Then have a one night tournament to figure out the new holder.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Uh as far as I can tell Jon Jones is going through the instagram posts of someone who called him out on his Gus talk and sending them messages calling them fags. The part right before that is the persons username or somesuch.

What a dick.

FFS

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'm sorry -atom- but I'm still here for you.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
jon jones is a master strategist. remember him pushing for bigtime sponsors because he's a good man and doesn't drive drunk before immediately trying to joust a telephone pole in a bentley full of strippers? or how he was too terrified to speak on camera in a commercial and then tried to get warner brothers to put him in movies. he is going to sexually assault glover in the cage, these things only greg jackson can teach.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Someone check to see if he signed a massive contract with McDonald's yesterday and said he'd never offend people based on their sexuality.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I know Jon Jones is playing an act all the time so we don't know what he's like at home, but him saying "fag poo poo" & "fag boys" to some random guy on instagram feels out of character to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I was hacked and those comments do not represent me or my team, my apologies to Liberace or whoever. Phil 4:13

• Locked thread