Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I give a lot of leeway to adoption agencies, because most of the time they never hear from the dogs again (because they're doing fine with their new family); if they do, it's often because of bad things happening at the new residence. This cycle over many years can turn anyone into a crazy animal person. They do a lot of warning about things because they've probably seen death resulting from it before.

Getting back to the original question though, it comes down to the dog. I leave Adam outside the coffee shop for a couple minutes while ordering nearly each day and he's fine with that -- but then I've been with him for 9 months now and I know he's demonstrated no sudden darting behavior at anything. He's focused on getting attention from people far more than trying to hunt down anything. If that wasn't the case I wouldn't be engaging in that kind of behavior, but that's true with any breed of dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I understand where the adoption agencies are coming from but I still got grouchy about it.

I wouldn't leave my dog in just his collar because I know for a fact he can back out of it if he's freaked out enough. He already drat near broke his neck going for squirrels a couple times when I was holding the lead - he's more cautious about that now :)

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.

Jersey posted:

I shared photos of my galgo girl, but not of my parents' greyhound, Charlotte. I was home with her for her first two weeks, and I miss her dearly now that I no longer live nearby. She was a good racer, and now my dad has certified her to be a therapy dog to visit nursing homes and such. She has some exceptional ears. And won baldest butt at a greyhound picnic lol.

her attempt at sitting! I tried to take a photo with her on my wedding day and she went from sitting to slipping to just sprawled out on the floor lol

Thanks for letting me share :)

The baldest butt :3:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Alright, so it sounds like just be careful, know the dog, use a harness. I'll be looking for a super people+dog friendly greyhound that's on the more trainable side, so hopefully that'll be likely to work. Although even regardless of if you have the perfect dog for it, I think if you need to stop on a hot day for whatever reason, it's far better to tie a leash to a shady bench than leave it in the car, even with cracked windows.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

slap me silly posted:

Or use a harness... let's be real, adoption groups can be pretty ridiculous. The paperwork I had to fill out was offensively invasive, not to mention condescending.

For what it's worth, this is generally because applicants, like most people, can be real idiots. Yes, you do have to point out to some people that this is a real commitment, and setting your animal loose in the woods if you change your mind in a week is not allowed, that we do expect you to pay for vet care, even if it costs more than just throwing away the current one and adopting a new animal, etc. We've gotten emails asking questions that were answered on splash screens that came up when you clicked the email link, on a page that said "BEFORE YOU SEND AN EMAIL, PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:...". (Those people didn't make it through the adoption process.)

It's a sad dilemma, really. I totally agree that some questionnaires are offensively invasive. At the same time, I've considered finding offshore hosting to create a rescue-only Do Not Adopt list full of whatever info can be gleamed about the really horrible assholes. Mostly, rescuers just burn out eventually and live as hermits.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Reese being sleepy-dog. He has quickly figured out that soft spots are the best places to lie.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Apparently Vastra is too much of a princess to eat raw chicken. She took it to her bed and then forgot about it, and wouldn't take it from me when I offered it again. She was very interested in the goat cheese I was cutting up, but I'm not quite ready to deal with the epic farts that would likely cause.

We went on a nice long walk through the neighborhoods today and ignored some fence-running dogs, some guys doing construction, and a squirrel carrying an entire slice of bread. She has pretty good leash manners so far, I was pleased. And she's doing really well with our staircases, especially the outdoor one (which is kind of scary because it's wood and has an open back). All in all she seems to be adjusting nicely.

She likes to hang out in her crate a lot, although she's starting to chill on the other beds in the house as well.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I had my first experience with the Greyhound Scream of Death a few days ago.

Rory was tearing rear end around the yard and all of a sudden she started screaming bloody murder and held up her left front leg. She laid down in the grass and wouldn't get up or stop whining. Of course because of what I do for a living my first reaction was "OH GOD SHE FRACTURED HER RADIUS/ULNA! :gonk:" I left her there for a second and ran inside to grab her muzzle so I could take a closer look and my phone so I could call my boss. I turned around to go out the back door...and she's just standing there waiting to be let back in the house. No marks on her leg, no lameness, no sign that anything happened. Just staring at me like I'm an idiot for forgetting to let her back inside. I guess she just stubbed a toe or stepped on a rock but you would have thought she was being tortured by the noises she was making. WTF dog. :confused:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Passed our home check! Gonna meet some lurcher pups soon, they're super cuties.

Hoping the fact that they're puppies may make it easier to get them used to cats. They're both quite small, mostly whippet probably. Excited :3:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

My dog had a dream and started howling last night at 4am. Since she was asleep, her mouth was shut, and it sounded creepy as gently caress. Dammit dog.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

pastor of muppets posted:

I had my first experience with the Greyhound Scream of Death a few days ago.

Rory was tearing rear end around the yard and all of a sudden she started screaming bloody murder and held up her left front leg. She laid down in the grass and wouldn't get up or stop whining. Of course because of what I do for a living my first reaction was "OH GOD SHE FRACTURED HER RADIUS/ULNA! :gonk:" I left her there for a second and ran inside to grab her muzzle so I could take a closer look and my phone so I could call my boss. I turned around to go out the back door...and she's just standing there waiting to be let back in the house. No marks on her leg, no lameness, no sign that anything happened. Just staring at me like I'm an idiot for forgetting to let her back inside. I guess she just stubbed a toe or stepped on a rock but you would have thought she was being tortured by the noises she was making. WTF dog. :confused:

Probably got the skin between her toes caught on something. My greyhound is really sensitive about that spot, screaming bloody murder without bruising or breaking the skin sensitive. He got it got on another dogs collar once and I felt really bad for the owners of the other dog. They thought their dog had tried to murder mine until I explained that it was just him being a huge wuss.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Conversely, sometimes they injure themselves and don't even notice, and get frustrated when you make them stop playing so you can check out the blood streaming down the back of their leg :rolleyes:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Kojiro posted:

Passed our home check! Gonna meet some lurcher pups soon, they're super cuties.

Hoping the fact that they're puppies may make it easier to get them used to cats. They're both quite small, mostly whippet probably. Excited :3:

Are you in Lancashire because I swear I have seen these dogs in my local rescue group

E: yeah they are, hi, you must be very very close to me :v:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 11, 2014

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Fraction posted:

Are you in Lancashire because I swear I have seen these dogs in my local rescue group

E: yeah they are, hi, you must be very very close to me :v:

Haha, small world! They seem like a good group. Gonna meet those pups on Monday, will have to have enough restraint to not scoop one up instantly.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I met a friend at the dog park last week. It was basically the first time Rory has ever really met any other (non-greyhound) dogs. I walked her around the outside of the fence at first just to get a feel for how comfortable she was. She kept looking at me, looking at the dogs, and wagging her tail, so I took her in (kept her leash on the whole time, though.)

She enjoyed it way more than I expected. She was actually pretty "meh" about most of the other dogs except for an old otterhound who she tried to be bffs with, but what she really enjoyed was meeting new people. :3:

DEAD DOG DO NOT EAT

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Super pics. Mine also dies in the grass like that. And he doesn't understand that he is a dog, other dogs are strange things that he can't quite figure out.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona is naturally camouflaged for our dog park.

It took her a solid year of going to our park once a week (and some full time with a friends dog) before Mona really got the dog park. Now she loves meeting people there, and playing with other dogs. I've gotten a lot of comments that she's super social for a greyhound.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Kojiro posted:

Haha, small world! They seem like a good group. Gonna meet those pups on Monday, will have to have enough restraint to not scoop one up instantly.

They're fairly chill, as far as rescue groups go. I've taken photos of dogs for them before - Hugo, Charlie, Archie, etc. If you get a pup and wanna dogwalk sometime drop me a line, Kalli loves other dawgs and is fab with pups!

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Cross post from the April Pose a Pet thread.

Reese is a good boy. Today we went to the pet store and to a local park for a walk. He handled both with style and grace. He is absolutely worth every minute of the 3 month wait.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Gannon is more lacking in the style and grace department. Today I watched him misjudge his angle while approaching a bush and accidentally pee all over his front left paw. I had to walk him through a big puddle before I took him home.

Here he is on the sofa:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Yeah, I think you got the dignified one of the batch Fuzz Feets. Today I was emptying out an old container garden and heaving shovelfuls of dirt over the railing of our deck, and Vastra was down below running through the showers of dirt having a grand old time. She was so dusty by the time I was done that I seriously considered taking the hose to her.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Oh don't get me wrong, he may act with style and grace when we are out in public but at home....a few minutes before that pic was taken he was roach ing in the grass when he decided to start rolling back and forth and tossing a leaf up in the air. He is definitely a big goofy boy.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Ridiculous :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby enjoying the patio after a brutal winter

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I've had been planning to get a dog when I move, but there's a really great one at the kennel right now, so I checked with my apartment complex and talked to my roommates and they're all fine with a dog. Only thing I'm worried about a bit is the home visit/inspection. It's not like dirty or anything, but things tend to be a bit cluttered in the common area, simply because we have 4 people and no real storage. We can clear things, but there's still not a huge amount of open space. A roommate also has ferrets (he keeps his door closed, but you can hear them running around from time to time). Should I be worried about failing an inspection, or is it more of an advisory thing? Would it be better to just wait?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
If it were me, I'd probably wait. Moving a greyhound into an apartment with ferrets (closed door or not) is a risk I would be uncomfortable taking. I also get paranoid about roommates. Like what if one of them is just stupid around dogs? Or what if they change their mind about being okay having a dog? It could work, but it's not a great scenario in my opinion.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ferrets and greyhounds sounds potentially bloody to me. My dog is fine with cats but I think he would snap a ferret in half in an instant.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Skizzles posted:

If it were me, I'd probably wait. Moving a greyhound into an apartment with ferrets (closed door or not) is a risk I would be uncomfortable taking. I also get paranoid about roommates. Like what if one of them is just stupid around dogs? Or what if they change their mind about being okay having a dog? It could work, but it's not a great scenario in my opinion.

Roommates I don't think would be an issue. I've known them all for a very long time, and can't imagine anything wrong happening due to them. I'll also be taking the dog to work most of the time, so I wouldn't even really be delegating any duties to them. I definitely see the potential ferret issue though, will definitely need to take that into account. Anyways though, the dog that I had in mind (the main reason I started thinking about moving the schedule forward) got adopted by somebody else about an hour after I had posted that. She was amazingly sweet and friendly...oh well, I probably learned something. Still vaguely considering the option though, if I could somehow be certain the dog wouldn't cross paths with ferrets.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

If the dog in question has been adopted I'd recommend you go back to your original timeline. Greyhounds thrive on routines and getting one settled into an apartment with roommates and then moving to new place without the people he's used to will be hard on a dog that's already trying to make the adjustment to a new home.

As a breed greyhounds are pretty sweet and friendly so you'll be able to find the "right" dog when the time is right.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Lhet posted:

Roommates I don't think would be an issue. I've known them all for a very long time, and can't imagine anything wrong happening due to them. I'll also be taking the dog to work most of the time, so I wouldn't even really be delegating any duties to them. I definitely see the potential ferret issue though, will definitely need to take that into account. Anyways though, the dog that I had in mind (the main reason I started thinking about moving the schedule forward) got adopted by somebody else about an hour after I had posted that. She was amazingly sweet and friendly...oh well, I probably learned something. Still vaguely considering the option though, if I could somehow be certain the dog wouldn't cross paths with ferrets.

The ferret thing isn't necessarily a deal-breaker. You would just need to look for a greyhound with low prey drive. Rescues usually refer to these greyhounds as "small animal safe" or similar.

I don't know ferrets terribly well, but I have had rats and greyhounds simultaneously and it hasn't been an issue at all, even when the rats are out of the cage wandering around. They're not as free-roaming as a ferret would potentially be, but there have been plenty of opportunities for the dog to eat the rats if it so chose. Husker seemed to enjoy sniffing and watching the rats, but never had any prey reaction to them. Vastra won't even go near them anymore, since Scooter touched her nose with his paw and freaked her out, although her attitude may change over time. I certainly wouldn't leave her alone with a rat out of the cage, but I'm not worried about anything happening under normal circumstances.

Basically almost any situation is going to boil down to the specific dog. Some greyhounds do indeed have issues adjusting to a new schedule and get very stressed out, whereas others will adapt to a new routine in a few days and not be bothered. Some greyhounds want to chase and eat every small fuzzy thing that moves, whereas others will watch a squirrel run across a field with a slice of bread in its mouth without so much as batting an eye.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Going to pick up this boy on Thursday! Very excited to have our own longlegs stiltdog :3:

He's a lurcher, possibly with a little collie in him- can anyone guess if he'll need one of the special wide greyhound-type collars? He seems to be ok in a regular one for now, but he's still only 4 months old, so he's got a a bunch of growing to do.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 15, 2014

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Can you guys help me out with a training issue with my slenderdog? We got him around 2 weeks ago and he seems to be adjusting really well. He was racing as late as February so he hasn’t had much time outside of track life yet. When we first got him, we tried crate training him but eventually gave up the crate and just kept him in the master bedroom with us on a dog bed, with the door shut. He learned early on that he could wake us up with a little whining and one of us would let him out into the backyard to blast a dookie. While I am grateful he doesn’t have accidents inside, he is a very early riser, sometimes around 5am. We have an extra-large dog door in the kitchen which he has mastered pretty well. If we are sitting around the house in the evening he will go out and use it as he needs and come back in. We now leave it open 24/7 and he has access to it at all times, even from the bedroom while we sleep. However, he still wakes me up in the mornings wanting out. He will literally stand near the fully open bedroom door and whine. I will then get up, walk with him to the kitchen and throw a treat through the dog door. He goes after the treat, realizes he is outside, then finds some grass to kill. How do I approach this aspect, to let him know that he can go there on his own like he normally does during the day and evening times? It seems to only happen in the morning because he got used to being locked in the room with us. Should I leave a trail of treats from the door to the kitchen and see what he does?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I don't have a greyhound yet, but I think probably the first step would be to stop giving him treats. I'd say maybe try just removing the treat aspect first (while still walking to the door), so it removes a bit of the waking you up incentive. After that maybe progress by some combination of not accompanying him all the way to the door, and not waiting for him to be done before returning to bed. I could be wrong though!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my money's on he woke up, now he wants food and attention - not that's he's too stupid to find the door. Try completely ignoring him until 5:15 for a few days, then 5:30, etc and maybe he will shift his schedule for you. Also try not getting up for him until a moment when he's NOT whining.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

It's possible that he's just trying to get treats, but Mona sometimes gets trapped outside if we leave the screendoor open to our deck. She'll just stand there, waiting for us to open it, then start to whine that we're not letting her in the house. If we then close the screen and open it again, she gets confused as to what just happened and freezes in place outside outside. We end up just pushing her into the house. It doesn't happen every time, but it's happened more then once.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Ex-racers are used to an early start coming off the track. Rewarding him with a treat for waking you up isn't going to help with that. The good news is that they can adjust to your routine fairly easily. For me it was just a matter of telling Gannon to go lie down when he'd try to wake me up early. I also don't usually take him out for a walk as soon as I get up (unless I've overslept and he's getting desperate) which helps. I'll usually get a cup of coffee and check my e-mail first. I do take him out for a decent walk before bedtime though so he's not holding anything which makes the mornings much smoother.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Thanks to whoever posted the neat geeky Etsy collars however many pages back, I ordered a very cute one for my dog's birthday tomorrow. Being a corgi she's basically the opposite of your stilt-dogs, but I'm definitely open to her having a greyhound sister one day!

Also, all of your dogs are adorable, please keep posting pics forever.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Kojiro posted:

Going to pick up this boy on Thursday! Very excited to have our own longlegs stiltdog :3:

He's a lurcher, possibly with a little collie in him- can anyone guess if he'll need one of the special wide greyhound-type collars? He seems to be ok in a regular one for now, but he's still only 4 months old, so he's got a a bunch of growing to do.

He's a cute little guy!

So what makes the collars for greyhounds special isn't the width, it's the design on them. A greyhound can slip out of a regular collar, since their necks are thick and their heads are so narrow. Martingales, on the other hand, get tighter the more the dog pulls. My dogs have a normal collar with their tags on it, and I put their martingales on when we walk.

If you're sure he can't slip out of a normal collar, then keep on using it, but if you think he could, I would suggest getting a martingale.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah my hound came with a regular width Martingale collar. I got him a fancy Etsy one though since I figured the extra width would be more comfortable for him when it pulls tight. Also it looks nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I really wanted to get Vastra a faux crocodile leather collar from Sexy Beast, but they only take PayPal payments and I swore off it a while back.

I still want to find a cute fancy collar for her, the one I grabbed from the bin at adoption day is a plain black nylon martingale. There's a big pet fair coming up next month near here, so I'll see what presents itself, and if not there's a ton of cute stuff on Etsy.