Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Monthly limit for expenses. I won't be working outside of internships.

London's an expensive place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I thought I was being smart today by not buying a super small $1.75 cookie. I then went on and ate a 75 cents marsbar.

Aiya, I should have just heeded my own advice and chug water for free.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

shrike82 posted:

Monthly limit for expenses. I won't be working outside of internships.

London's an expensive place.
The median income there is like $46K, and the average post-tax income for a household is $64K. This isn't meant to chastise you, as it's your life, just to make you aware that you may be indulging a bit

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

spwrozek posted:

Free snacks at work are the worst, also the soda machine taking credit. I have been a champ lately though and not touched the stuff. Helps keep you in shape as well!

Just bribe the person who orders the snacks :P We get a new batch of fresh fruit in every Monday. It tends to be gone by COB Wednesday while the chips and such are almost infinite, but the occasional free pear/apple/orange in the early part of the week is nice.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I used to do avocados as a snack, but the price for those has soared over the past few years. Now I just go with whatever fruit I happen to crave when I'm at the grocery store.

Also, I drink like a gallon of green tea a day because my office provides it for free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRdLJ6e7j_0

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

shrike82 posted:

I'm headed back to grad school this fall after 5 years of working and decided to quit early so I'd have the next half a year to backpack and travel.

I'm on a $6000 a month budget for the next 2 years and i've been living comfortably within it but it's painful to be drawing down on my savings rather than adding to it...

God drat son that's a lot of money to be spending.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I have zero debt, a healthy retirement account, and a down payment for a house saved up. And I'm cringing because I just dropped $1400 on a custom built musical instrument.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Bubbacub posted:

I have zero debt, a healthy retirement account, and a down payment for a house saved up. And I'm cringing because I just dropped $1400 on a custom built musical instrument.
Sounds like you're in a good situation for splurging on something you want.

In my head I imagine a "custom built musical instrument" as something like a ukulele helicopter.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Juanito posted:

Sounds like you're in a good situation for splurging on something you want.

In my head I imagine a "custom built musical instrument" as something like a ukulele helicopter.

I was thinking of a barometer that plays an alarming note whenever your humidity goes outside of comfortable.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm a big retard who didn't know the definition of "Head of Household", so I took way too many exemptions on my W-4 and now I owe the IRS $3,000. Booooo

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm a big retard who didn't know the definition of "Head of Household", so I took way too many exemptions on my W-4 and now I owe the IRS $3,000. Booooo
Ouch. That is painful.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah, the IRS being PC and not calling this status "Single Parent" has caused many to make that mistake

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
As long as you're not paying a penalty you're OK.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

As long as you're not paying a penalty you're OK.

Agreed, I'd much rather get a free loan than give a free loan, but it was a bit of a surprise to find out I'd taken such a big loan!

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
I didn't eat out today. I stuck to food I already had in the house, including a yummy dinner salad made with turkey and croutons left over from past social events. Leftovers are awesome. :)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Agreed, I'd much rather get a free loan than give a free loan, but it was a bit of a surprise to find out I'd taken such a big loan!

Did you pay interest? You got interest from the government as well!

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
We're moving to FL later this year, and the apartment that we're looking at is really nice, but I can't decide if we'd rather be on the 3rd floor with vaulted ceilings and nobody above us, or on the 2nd floor, with someone above us.

Thinking about the energy bill.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Third floor man!! You'll get residual heat from floors 1 and 2, and the vaulted ceiling will keep you from roasting in the summer.

You don't want a dog with peg legs loving above you do you?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Third floor man!! You'll get residual heat from floors 1 and 2, and the vaulted ceiling will keep you from roasting in the summer.

You don't want a dog with peg legs loving above you do you?
Do you think the cooling bill will be too much higher? That's one of my concerns, since there is more area to cool. If we don't turn on any ceiling fans, it will probably help keep the heat up high.

It is the fear of the unknown, or a dog with peg legs, that keeps me from the 2nd floor.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can always use spot fans here and there, keeps the mosquitoes away too! Or just walk around the house naked :henget:

Take the elevation, ground level in hot moist environments just invites more mold. Think of the potential breeze and ability to hang your underwear without the floor above you seeing you!

caberham fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 15, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Juanito posted:

Do you think the cooling bill will be too much higher? That's one of my concerns, since there is more area to cool. If we don't turn on any ceiling fans, it will probably help keep the heat up high.

It is the fear of the unknown, or a dog with peg legs, that keeps me from the 2nd floor.

Cold air falls, so look at where the ducts are. If they are on the ceiling, you should be good. If they're on the floor, welp.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah man, naked 3rd floor action is gonna be awesome. Just imagine it, the cool breeze tickling your balls. Gonna be heaven. If you don't do it you'll be the one to endure the loud, sweaty sex of your uninhibited upstairs neighbors.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you find the heat is too hard to manage, you can always just fill the space with stacks of cinderblocks or aquariums full of sand to increase thermal mass!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Or a bunch of those freezing plastic chairs they use at schools.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Good news. :)

The monthly payment on the new house is currently $348 a month, which should get a little cheaper because the county automatically sets a home at the 6% tax rate for non residents instead of the 4% rate for residents. I need to call the county to get that fixed. The HOA is $117 but that includes grass, exterior insurance, water, trash pickup, and sewer. Apparently they even fix the AC units (which explains why they're all so old) whenever they stop working.

So it looks like I will be saving $580 a month (old mortgage/hoa - new mortgage/hoa) once I make the move. I'm expecting to save on utilities as well but I'll have to wait and see on that.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 17, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Just spitballing here, but how much money would I need to open my own classic arcade? Are we talking like a million dollars in liquid income or what?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

the posted:

Just spitballing here, but how much money would I need to open my own classic arcade? Are we talking like a million dollars in liquid income or what?
Ten million to support it for five years as it bleeds money and ruins all your financial hopes and dreams.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've thought of making a MAME cabinet and renting it out to parties as a way to recoup the cost of constructing it, but yeah, arcades are holes you shovel money into.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
How long would the 10 mil keep it open?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Since most people already have a pocket-sized arcade machine with them every day, an actual arcade is just an anachronism at this point.

Edit: I'm a guy who built his own MAME cabinet so it's not like I'm not rooting for you. I just know the days of the arcade are over.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 17, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Barcades are still fun...but besides the cost to buy the arcade machines and service them, the electricity cost must be astronomical, especially since the machines are basically always on.

Folly
May 26, 2010
There was a guy in my old town that had a shop that refurbished classic games and sold them. But he couldn't make an arcade out of it because he had to have a warehouse. So there was nobody to actually play the games, unless they were testing them out to buy.

But there's half your business plan. Now you just need a small showroom in a place where people born in the 70's-80's frequent.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I had a middle aged boomer tell me recently "If I was rich I'd have a Pac Man machine in my game room" so my guess is there's still a market for selling, repairing and building arcade machines but that's it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
We have a barcade in my town, it's pretty swank. But it doesn't have a full bar, so... kind of a taste thing.

God I never thought about electricity. Old rear end machines sucking up tons of watts. drat.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
The major issue is with keeping them functioning... Having managed many bars with pinball or old arcade games, even the giant company we rented them from couldn't keep them functioning most of the time.

Also, for loving Christ's sake don't get into the bar business without experience in it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Okay, but like.. this place exists. How is it not dead?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Because Portland. We pay $4 for a donut with Cocoa Puffs on it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

the posted:

Okay, but like.. this place exists. How is it not dead?

Pinball Pete's seems to do pretty well in Ann Arbor (they have a second one in Lansing even).

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

There's Gameworks in Seattle as well, although they aren't rolling in cash and I'd suspect they make most of their profit from food and alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H. Helluva
Oct 21, 2008

Juanito posted:

Made the third floor decision (same deal with the vaulted ceilings) about 8 months ago, after living on 1st and 2nd floors for 7 years in S. Florida. 3rd floor has been the best choice!

Starting with a heavy mix of teen bop and dubstep bass thumping above our heads, to the dog that never stopped barking and scratching the floor, to high heals clomping at 6 am, to the guy jump roping for an hour every day, to the estranged father playing basketball with his two kids INSIDE their apartment, occasionally at midnight. Culminating with upstairs neighbors not cleaning out their air conditioner's filter for a decade causing water to leak into our bedroom wall over the course of months, eventually leading to a minor flood and mold explosion. It's best to sit atop this mass of tortured souls.

The 3rd story apartment I live in has about 200 more square feet and vaulted ceilings, coming from a slightly smaller 2nd story apt most recently, our electric bill is only about $10-$15 higher per month. This is a building of the same materials and age as the last.

What kills me now, the cost to maintain the sanity of my wife and I has reached (our total monthly rent and utilities) $1600+ (Cost us an extra $300 for top floor). Meanwhile my friends back in my home state are renting/buying entire houses for less than half what we pay a month.

I'm dreaming of the day we cross the state line never to return. But hey it's always sunny!