Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

McDowell posted:

'This colorado poo poo is really dank man'

What seems to be the problem with this?

Can't exactly put it on a cereal box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Install Windows posted:

That argument tends to be a misreading of the fact that smoking weed if you already have certain mental health issues can exacerbate symptoms (or simply be really unpleasant).

OK but are there any actual studies saying this I can cite?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mirthless posted:

The part you bolded is important. "Independent Influence". You and I don't do anything by writing a letter to our congressmen, we have almost no individual influence. But as a large group our influence on policy is huge, since at the end of the day it's the public that decides whether or not somebody gets elected. There's no denying that big money is the primary driver of policy in this country, largely because they spend unbelievable amounts of cash influencing the average citizen to think the same way they do.

In fairness it also mentions "mass based interest groups" but those could just be spur of the moment groups like early forms of Occupy which don't have any sort of real organization.

e: Actually here is the list of mass based groups:

quote:

AARP
AFL-CIO
American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees American Israel Public Affairs Committee
American Legion
Christian Coalition
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
National Rifle Association
National Right to Life Committee
United Auto Workers union
Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

computer parts posted:

In fairness it also mentions "mass based interest groups" but those could just be spur of the moment groups like early forms of Occupy which don't have any sort of real organization.

e: Actually here is the list of mass based groups:

The AARP, NRA, Christian Coalition (at one time) and UAW (at one time) are or were major influences on public policy, though. I guess I don't have the political expertise to understand how they came to these conclusions, but saying the NRA isn't a major influence on public policy (or at least the policies it is directly trying to influence) is absurd.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

AYC posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/15/eric-holder-marijuana-legalization_n_5148663.html

Eric Holder is "cautiously optimistic", but doesn't want to reschedule marijuana without Congress. Which, since the GOP controls the House, won't happen for another few years.

Incidentally, Michele Leonheart is now one of my least favorite government officials.

Michele Leonheart is subhuman garbage, the world would be a much better place without people like her.

In NZ news: despite being a fairly progressive country our useless politicians in our leading parties of scum still have no interest in furthering the cause. gently caress politicians, gently caress them in their stupid assholes.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

ColoradoCleric posted:

OK but are there any actual studies saying this I can cite?

Just Google Scholar 'cannabis' and 'mental health,' there are tons.

Lancet review - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673607611623

British Medical Journal - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1124674/

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ror posted:

Just Google Scholar 'cannabis' and 'mental health,' there are tons.

Lancet review - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673607611623

British Medical Journal - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1124674/

Sorry I meant studies suggesting that the mental health cannabis link was misinterpreted or disingenuous.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mirthless posted:

The AARP, NRA, Christian Coalition (at one time) and UAW (at one time) are or were major influences on public policy, though. I guess I don't have the political expertise to understand how they came to these conclusions, but saying the NRA isn't a major influence on public policy (or at least the policies it is directly trying to influence) is absurd.

You could read the study, it's there.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
When it becomes more profitable to legalize marijuana than it is to have it illegal, then it will happen. Think about all the poo poo that survives on drugs being illegal: bloated police force, DEA, for-profit prisons, alcohol industry, tobacco industry, various legislative bodies. Those are just a few that I can think of. I'm sure there's more. Weed being legal has to have a huge margin of revenue over those other things, or public support has to be like, 99% for it to be federally legal. People have to organize and boycott, do freedom marches and poo poo, there would have to be full scale riots and things such as that for the federal flood gates to open. People were saying it would be legal any time in the 70's. Then the 80's, etc. Also, look at the guys openly laundering drug money for the cartels and getting into no trouble. Legalizing weed cuts into profit margin.

Economics issues aside, you still have a ton of people drinking the koolaid that it's unhealthy, etc. without realizing the real poo poo they're supporting.

Look at the bottom line: how do you make money as a government? You have to tax people. Marijuana being illegal is a convoluted tax. It's also a mechanism for power. It also enables alternatives such as cigs and booze to sell better since they're more readily available. They're also less healthy. There are millions of reasons to keep weed illegal, and they all start with $.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And that's why I doubt recreational use will be legal in all of the US. And since the US has so much influence on the politics of other nations, they will also keep it illegal.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vandalism posted:

When it becomes more profitable to legalize marijuana than it is to have it illegal, then it will happen.

You're forgetting institutional inertia. Things can remain legal/illegal simply because they've been there for so long even if one were to develop a plan from the ground up and find a different solution.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

snorch posted:

Put it inside a weed shop and outfit it with an ID scanner?
you wouldn't have any way to actually verify the scanned ID matched the person using the ID, which is the whole point of showing ID.

ColoradoCleric posted:

So couldn't a non-medicinal patient just come in and use it with someone else's card?
you can't "scan" CO medical licenses

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Why would it need to be supervised?
because the state of Colorado requires it

DeadmansReach posted:

If they card you when you walk in then you could just use a vending machine instead of demanding the time of an employee. It's just self checkout.
that's my point. the regulations don't appear to me to allow any method of "self-checkout"

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 16, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Pennsylvania has alcohol vending machines:

In order to verify identification they have complex scanning mechanisms AND a closed circuit tv system that feeds back to an actual person who must check the video feed of the person who attempts to buy. They also cost a ludicrous amount and can't operate without the person on the other end.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

computer parts posted:

You're forgetting institutional inertia. Things can remain legal/illegal simply because they've been there for so long even if one were to develop a plan from the ground up and find a different solution.

This is like an institutional-level scope of the type of person that is presented with empirical evidence and facts, yet the person turns down those facts in favor of feelings or tradition or morals. That is sad. And think about how many dangerous practices are institutionalized.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Which popular contemporary song will be used in the first Super Bowl commercial?

It would probably be "Purple Haze" so they can do a gay marriage twofer with the line "Now excuse me while I kiss this guy".

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

ColoradoCleric posted:

Sorry I meant studies suggesting that the mental health cannabis link was misinterpreted or disingenuous.

quote:

Although epidemiological studies make a consistent case that early and/or heavy cannabis use is linked to a significantly increased risk of schizophrenia[24], the modest increase in risk and the low prevalence of schizophrenia mean that regular cannabis use accounts for only a very small proportion of the disability associated with schizophrenia. From a population health perspective, this raises doubt about the likely impact of preventing cannabis use on the incidence or prevalence of schizophrenia until further evidence finds that there is a causal relationship between regular cannabis use and the onset of new cases of psychotic illness

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0076635

quote:

The results of the current study suggest that having an increased familial morbid risk for schizophrenia may be the underlying basis for schizophrenia in cannabis users and not cannabis use by itself.

http://www.schres-journal.com/article/S0920-9964(13)00610-5/abstract

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 16, 2014

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Install Windows posted:

Pennsylvania has alcohol vending machines:

In order to verify identification they have complex scanning mechanisms AND a closed circuit tv system that feeds back to an actual person who must check the video feed of the person who attempts to buy. They also cost a ludicrous amount and can't operate without the person on the other end.
that would probably pass muster in CO, but what is the loving point if you need to have a person watching it remotely the entire time?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
you can post a news brief and get one month's worth of curious buyers going out of their way to your shop. doesn't sound worth it to me...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TenementFunster posted:

that would probably pass muster in CO, but what is the loving point if you need to have a person watching it remotely the entire time?

Well in PA they allow a way to sell types of alcohol in grocery stores that normally can only be sold in the state alcohol stores - because the whole machine and the state employee watching the camera counts as a separate state store.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
I wonder if this will affect the debate?

Marijuana: not so harmless after all?

Forbes posted:

Adding to earlier evidence that marijuana may be linked to lasting neurological changes, a new study in the Journal of Neuroscience today finds that even casual pot smoking may have an effect on the size and structure of certain brain regions. The new research reports that for each additional joint a person smokes per week, the greater the odds of structural changes to areas involved in motivation, reward, and emotion. Though it seems like the country has embraced pot as a relatively harmless option in recent years, the authors of the study say that their findings suggest otherwise, especially for young people whose brains are still developing.
In the new study, the team looked at the brains of people 18-25 years old, some of whom smoked pot recreationally and some who did not. None of the participants showed any signs of being addicted to the drug.

Using different brain imaging techniques, the researchers were able to measure the volume, shape, and grey matter density of two key structures: the nucleus accumbens and the amygdala. The nucleus accumbens is involved in the reward circuit, including pleasure-seeking and motivation, and it’s strongly linked to addiction. The amygdala is involved in emotion, particularly in fear, anxiety, and the stress response, and in drug craving.

The team found that both brain structures varied in multiple ways, according to the number of joints per week the participants smoked – in other words, the more joints smoked, the more brain changes were evident. The nucleus accumbens was especially likely to show alterations in shape and density, and to be larger, as a function of joints per week.
Although a majority of people in the country support legalization of marijuana, not everyone is so convinced. Last year, Breiter’s team showed that everyday pot smoking in teenagers was, even two years after stopping, linked to brain abnormalities and to poorer working memory. “With the findings of these two papers,” Breiter said, “I’ve developed a severe worry about whether we should be allowing anybody under age 30 to use pot unless they have a terminal illness and need it for pain.”

The study will no doubt attract a lot of debate, as it raises as many questions as it answers. More research is clearly needed to know just how pot affects the brain and behavior over the long term. In the meantime, you may just want to pass on the pot – or at least wait till you’re 30 and your brain is done developing before you use it as a test subject in your own experiment.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Preliminary study, too isolated to make any definitive conclusions.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

AYC posted:

Preliminary study, too isolated to make any definitive conclusions.

Science journalism is universally terrible and I would wait for other studies to replicate the results. I would like to see how much this talking point gets spread around on Fox and by legalization opponents.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Even if the study proves to be true, alcohol can cause brain damage, other chronic conditions and straight up acute death in a number of ways. I mean I never thought weed was 'harmless', but it is 'relatively harmless' when you compare it with cigarettes and alcohol, both of which are legally available to people who's brains are still developing. I don't know about the study, but the Forbes article is pretty poo poo.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

quote:

The nucleus accumbens was especially likely to show alterations in shape and density, and to be larger, as a function of joints per week.
The paper itself points out that the NAcc also shows the same response to nicotine and amphetamines. It's a very generalized reward center; this is hardly a shocking finding.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Why do we need ATM's when we have banks :lol:

e: only autistic people would ever use an ATM, because everyone else just goes to a teller and chats them up while they count their cash

Sometimes people need to withdraw from ATMs after-hours, not because they are socially awkward and become a caricaturized slur. Serious post.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

OwlBot 2000 posted:

That is pretty dumb. Gj guys, you discovered there are changes in your brain when you smoke. It could be a good change, bad change, neutral change.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Redo the study but with Xbox.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

Overeating May Alter the Brain as Much as Hard Drugs http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/addicted-to-fat-eating/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It certainly alters every other inch of you.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Doesn't the vending machine article say part of the intent is to help avoid employee theft? If that's a significant concern yeah it just might be worthwhile to have weed vending machines.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

reignonyourparade posted:

Doesn't the vending machine article say part of the intent is to help avoid employee theft? If that's a significant concern yeah it just might be worthwhile to have weed vending machines.

Anyone that actually read the article understands the point.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OwlBot 2000 posted:

The USA Today version of this article concludes by asking an independent neuroscientist his opinion on the results. His response was "funded by ONDCP, so I'm hesitant to accept the narrative the authors are framing this with" basically. I am pretty sure that this is basically a retread of already known information made to sound very sinister to folks with no neuroscience knowledge.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So family and friends have been emailing me different links to basically an article that discusses a study that says recreational smoking is bad for your brain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2605454/Using-cannabis-just-week-harms-young-brains.html

Can anyone tell me if this is bullshit, if so why,how worried should I be, etc?

E: i scrolles up, my bad.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 16, 2014

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Waroduce posted:

So family and friends have been emailing me different links to basically an article that discusses a study that says recreational smoking is bad for your brain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2605454/Using-cannabis-just-week-harms-young-brains.html

If only that study had been posted just a few posts up and we had a discussion about it already...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Install Windows posted:

Well in PA they allow a way to sell types of alcohol in grocery stores that normally can only be sold in the state alcohol stores - because the whole machine and the state employee watching the camera counts as a separate state store.

Laws that allow/require poo poo like this are loving dumb.

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

Waroduce posted:

E: i scrolles up, my bad.

There is some evidence that if you're under 25 marijuana can permanently decrease your cognitive abilities. I pick 25 because below that the brain is still quite plastic.

This study, though, has some issues. It's not a big sample size (20 users, 20 non-users). It does not test the long-term effects of cannabis use (the users had not smoked that day but had smoked within the last few days). It is only one snapshot in time, so it can't display causation. And there are some differences between the users and non-users which could bias the results (40% of the users smoked cigarettes, vs 0% of the non-users; the users drank alcohol at double the rate of the non-users). The last point really bothers me; there were factors they could have controlled for that they did not.

However, I would personally say that if you are under 25 you need to really limit your marijuana consumption. The long-term effects on the developing brain (again, that's until about 25 or 26) are not well-known, but there is evidence that they are detrimental. The younger you are, presumably, the worse these detriments may be.

I know young cannabis users don't want to hear this, but they should avoid using the drug regularly.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
*shrug* I don't think an edible every now and again is very harmful.

Though admittedly I haven't been smoking or eating much THC lately, mainly because of how hard it is to find. I'd rather it just be legal, TBH.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
This study shows IQ loss from using marijuana "heavily"(5+ joints per week) between ages 9 and 17. I've posted it here before. The effect does not go away when you control for class (marijuana use is pretty consistent across class anyway.) Most people's IQ goes up slightly during that time, heavy marijuana users had it go down:
http://www.cmaj.ca/content/166/7/887.full

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

Jeffrey posted:

This study shows IQ loss from using marijuana "heavily"(5+ joints per week) between ages 9 and 17. I've posted it here before. The effect does not go away when you control for class (marijuana use is pretty consistent across class anyway.) Most people's IQ goes up slightly during that time, heavy marijuana users had it go down:
http://www.cmaj.ca/content/166/7/887.full

quote:

The comparison of the IQ difference scores showed an average decrease of 4.1 points in current heavy users (p < 0.05) compared to gains in IQ points for light current users (5.8), former users (3.5) and non-users (2.6).
Sounds like your best bet is to be a light user.

Anyway the study only shows that there's a correlation. It could just be that people who's IQ declines between 9 and 17 are more likely to smoke heavily.

quote:

Current marijuana use had a negative effect on global IQ score only in subjects who smoked 5 or more joints per week. A negative effect was not observed among subjects who had previously been heavy users but were no longer using the substance. We conclude that marijuana does not have a long-term negative impact on global intelligence.

It could also be that when you stop smoking, your IQ rebounds, which is what the study shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
OK guys, what's worse, possible cognitive changes to a developing brain, or the war on drugs?

• Locked thread