Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I left my overflow hose off the rad on my E36 for a few days. Should I be bleeding it?

Just run it with the expansion tank and bleeder screw open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Stealth Like posted:

No, it really is you. We get it. You have a car that is over a decade old that is ~pure~ because it doesn't have modern amenities and while being slower in every possible way than a modern 3 series, is better because ~pure~. But that won't stop you from trying to brag about it constantly.

My AW11 MR2 was slower than a modern Camry, but guess which one people will still be showering love unto on enthusiast boards a decade from now? Sometimes less is more.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

HotCanadianChick posted:

My AW11 MR2 was slower than a modern Camry, but guess which one people will still be showering love unto on enthusiast boards a decade from now? Sometimes less is more.

"Enthusiast boards" exist that shower love unto Chevy Cavaliers and the Ford Taurus, that doesn't refute any of Stealth Like's assertions.

In other news: Still no scan on my M5 rear sway bar. I'm very sad about that.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Popete posted:

Time to slap an M on the trunk.

I saw M badges and Pep Boys stick-on fender vents on a poor old E90 325i the other day. :(

(I'm just excited to get a shift knob that isn't made of plastic and shaped wrong. The non-M knob is surprisingly...lovely.)

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Is there anything better you can buy for $10k than a well-sorted out e46 in the small sedan/coupe class?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sean10mm posted:

I saw M badges and Pep Boys stick-on fender vents on a poor old E90 325i the other day. :(

(I'm just excited to get a shift knob that isn't made of plastic and shaped wrong. The non-M knob is surprisingly...lovely.)

I've been getting an e-mail alert when this piece of poo poo is re-listed almost daily.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-bmw-m5-sedan/583160852?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I get all excited, because "holy poo poo, a $7500 E39 M5!" and then i click through to the ad.

Every fuckin time. i'm reaching for my phone aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's a high mile automatic 530i.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Is there anything better you can buy for $10k than a well-sorted out e46 in the small sedan/coupe class?

Not in my opinion, which is why that's what I drive. Though it was more like under 15-20k for me 3 years ago. I still can't really think of anything (with more than 2 seats and a useful trunk) that I'd rather drive than my 330ci for under 20k.

You could look at the G35 (probably can't find a G37 under 10k yet) but IMO it's not as good an overall package as an E46 330 and the looks haven't aged as well.

I had a Miata prior to my E46 and while it was more fun to drive, it was a lot less practical. I'd love to get a Miata or S2000 again, but not as an only car.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 15, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

You could buy a Miata... Mustang.... I am sure I am missing something.

But yeah, get a Miata.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ThirstyBuck posted:

Crusty - where in NS are you? Halifax? I was just up there last summer.

I was living in halifax, but I'm about an hour outside the city now.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Nope, and that's why all the geriatrics in their old man 5ers have come out in force today, smelling of Ben-Gay, denture adhesive, and regret.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But yeah, get a Miata.

The problem with that is that a 330i is faster than a Miata, just as much fun to drive, and seats four. (When I got my 330 the only other cars I cross-shopped it against were Miatas and third gen MR2s).

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 15, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Nope, and that's why all the geriatrics in their old man 5ers have come out in force today, smelling of Ben-Gay, denture adhesive, and regret.

The problem with that is that a 330i is faster than a Miata, just as much fun to drive, and seats four. (When I got my 330 the only other cars I cross-shopped it against were Miatas and third gen MR2s).

Sometimes less is more :smugbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I don't use Ben-Gay. I have a steering wheel that keeps my hands toasty warm. :smug:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I don't use Ben-Gay. I have a steering wheel that keeps my hands toasty warm. :smug:

The seat heaters in my F30 are up to the task of loosening up even the most arthritic hip joints. :corsair:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

As do I. And I'm not pretending I'm tearing up the road in a tarted up Civic. :colbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

sean10mm posted:

The seat heaters in my F30 are up to the task of loosening up even the most arthritic hip joints. :corsair:

Also, the seat heaters were really good at loosening a poop. My E39s heaters would mean poop city if it was the highest setting.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Also, the seat heaters were really good at loosening a poop. My E39s heaters would mean poop city if it was the highest setting.

I really don't like seat heaters. The only reason I make sure my cars have them is for my wife (and my kids... they got spoiled in my Cadillacs which had heated rear seats).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I don't get all the 3-Series hate especially when we all know that 1-Series owners are the ones truly deserving of scorn and derision

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Which series should I purchase if I want to maximize both Speed AND Class?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
4 series GC

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

I don't get all the 3-Series hate especially when we all know that 1-Series owners are the ones truly deserving of scorn and derision

And I'm sure if 7 series owners hadn't sold their computers to pay for a $7000 reman transmission, they'd be in here making GBS threads on all of us.

Infinotize posted:

Which series should I purchase if I want to maximize both Speed AND Class?

An AMG mercedes :downsrim:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
760Li.
That thing is like what... the size of a small ship, and it still does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds (with an automatic). It as fast as the previous E90 M3.

And you can still say get out of the way poor people :smugdog:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

...and that's why I'm gonna buy an 8-Series so I can poo poo on everyone between my regular $10,000 repair bills. :homebrew:

(but seriously I'd love to own an E31)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If you don't own an M1 you're literally a poor with no taste in cars and should probably kill yourself.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Here's a product that can help with the incontinence that's so common amongst 5 series owners: http://www.depend.com/products/get-samples

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 16, 2014

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Oh sorry I thought this was the Alpina thread, you plebes enjoy your factory BMWs with your Franzia.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Actually the real BMW Civic is the Mini.

What I'm saying is Mini owners :getout:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But yeah, get a Miata.
When I said Coupe I meant like a 330Ci which has 2 doors, but a usable back seat. I fit back there comfortably and I'm 6'3.

Guinness posted:

Not in my opinion, which is why that's what I drive. Though it was more like under 15-20k for me 3 years ago. I still can't really think of anything (with more than 2 seats and a useful trunk) that I'd rather drive than my 330ci for under 20k.

You could look at the G35 (probably can't find a G37 under 10k yet) but IMO it's not as good an overall package as an E46 330 and the looks haven't aged as well.

I had a Miata prior to my E46 and while it was more fun to drive, it was a lot less practical. I'd love to get a Miata or S2000 again, but not as an only car.
You're me. Roughly 3 years ago I purchased my 330Ci at about $14. I looked at the Infiniti's and still look at the G37's but I'm just not 100% sold on the looks.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The G's are nice but their interiors are a bit gaudy and they have an engine that also comes in a minivan.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you don't own an M1 you're literally a poor with no taste in cars and should probably kill yourself.

Here's a product that can help with the incontinence that's so common amongst 5 series owners: http://www.depend.com/products/get-samples

Your link doesn't work. God drat kids and their fancy electronic gizmos.

sanchez posted:

The G's are nice but their interiors are a bit gaudy and they have an engine that also comes in a minivan.

As a former G35 owner, this is a pretty true statement. I am not a huge guy by any means (6', 210lbs) and I felt uncomfortable in it.

The engine isnt awful, but it does kinda fight revs. The exhaust note was good though, so there is that much?

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 16, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Guys, guys, we're all friends here. Drive whatever makes you happy.

Provided it has three pedals.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ColdPie posted:

Guys, guys, we're all friends here. Drive whatever makes you happy.

Provided it has three pedals.

Shh, you'll arouse the anger of the automatic loving 5 series gods that lurk in the shadows. Gotta keep a low profile with that kind of talk.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrChips posted:

...and that's why I'm gonna buy an 8-Series so I can poo poo on everyone between my regular $10,000 repair bills. :homebrew:

(but seriously I'd love to own an E31)

Naw, Man. You wrench on it yerself.

The worst I had was a $3500 transmission overhaul (which I DID NOT do myself).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This thread has become everything it should be.

The M2 looks fantastic.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ausgezeichnet posted:

Naw, Man. You wrench on it yerself.

STOP TEMPTING ME

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

STOP TEMPTING ME

If it helps, he doesn't own it anymore.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Well, you can't ALWAYS have alcohol in your system, but basically this. Do you want to spend your euros on a small, warm-ish and kind of flat glass of Coke... or a very good beer? Not much of a mystery there.

Ya, for some reason in Frankfurt you basically couldn't get ice in your fast food coke, either. Quite annoying.

Funny though, the machines were still calibrated for ice, so you'd get a partially full cup of coke without ice. :)

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrChips posted:

STOP TEMPTING ME

I'd have another one if it could be a fun/project car, but the '93 I had was my daily driver. We don't have garage room for a third car so when I started spending a week loving around with $400 spark plug wire sets and moronic coding issues that made the seats move backward every time I came home from one of my overseas rotations, I dealt it for my 550i. Other than the tranny, the worst soaking I got was replacing both batteries at the same time for about 350 bucks... and the $400 spark plug wires. Twice. And the intake manifold gaskets that ran about 400 bucks for a set.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

ausgezeichnet posted:

I'd have another one if it could be a fun/project car, but the '93 I had was my daily driver. We don't have garage room for a third car so when I started spending a week loving around with $400 spark plug wire sets and moronic coding issues that made the seats move backward every time I came home from one of my overseas rotations, I dealt it for my 550i. Other than the tranny, the worst soaking I got was replacing both batteries at the same time for about 350 bucks... and the $400 spark plug wires. Twice. And the intake manifold gaskets that ran about 400 bucks for a set.

I currently DD a '94, although I don't do winters in it anymore. I haven't had anything truly nasty go yet, although I think a transmission may be on the horizon. Possibly batteries too, now that I think of it - the ones that are in there came with the car when I got it.

Been there done that with the seats moving backwards. I think low voltage scrambles the seat computer. Used seat computer from a part out fixed it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Isn't it true you can use the wires from an M20 just buy 2 sets?

400 for gaskets is insane though.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Isn't it true you can use the wires from an M20 just buy 2 sets?

400 for gaskets is insane though.

The right bank set has a capacitance pickup around the #1 wire that serves as a crank position sensor and is the high-failure item in the ignition system. If you could buy a half set (you can't) you could save some coin on the left bank, but the real problem is that most of the wires sold by stealers and Bavauto are an inferior brand (can't remember which) and you have to source the better manufacturer from Pelican or somewhere else. That's why I had to pay for them twice.

I think the seat issue cropped up when I had battery problems and ended up trading the car in with the driver's seat motors running backward.

I bought 1 1/2 sets of intake manifold gaskets, too. The manifold studs are molded into the gaskets and are made of a really lovely soft aluminum. I broke studs on two separate gaskets just bringing them up to some ridiculously low torque value - like 20 in lbs or something stupid like that. By the time you do that, you have almost everything back together and it takes at least two hours to get all the poo poo apart again and get the loving Hylomar cleaned off the intake with acetone - assuming you have another gasket handy. I didn't, and had to pay for overnight delivery to get another pair from Pelican. I was super careful installing the replacement one, but broke another stud on the opposite gasket (same part number - must have been some quality issues), said "gently caress it" and left half the runner unsecured. I never noticed any leakage issues, but I was damned if I was going to go through that poo poo again in the third-week-of-October Chicago cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Black88GTA posted:

I currently DD a '94, although I don't do winters in it anymore. I haven't had anything truly nasty go yet, although I think a transmission may be on the horizon. Possibly batteries too, now that I think of it - the ones that are in there came with the car when I got it.

Been there done that with the seats moving backwards. I think low voltage scrambles the seat computer. Used seat computer from a part out fixed it.

I have no idea why the transmission is so weak, but mine was massively hosed up with only 50k miles or so on it. I used a really good local tranny shop that the BMW dealers use and they did a really clean job.

One of the biggest problems I found with the car was due to the high under-hood heat with the 17 year-old V-12. Every plastic connector in there was brittle as bakelite, so when you took a plug off a sensor you had to be ridiculously careful or you might have to replace a impossible-to-find wiring harness just to get a new connector. I was careful and lucky with mine.