Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

TheImmigrant posted:

Jordan illegally annexed the entire West Bank in 1948.

Britain and France illegally colonized the whole shebang before that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hip Flask posted:

Britain and France illegally colonized the whole shebang before that

I don't think that they broke any laws Tim.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

I don't think that they broke any laws Tim.

Me neither. Immoral is not necessarily illegal.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That is so wrong. The Turks won that poo poo fair and square in a big old bloody war in the 16th century.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Maybe this clears the situation a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evIyrrjTTY

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tree Goat posted:

Like all good cartography questions with political components, the answer is "it depends"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_map_changes#21st_century

I don't know how accurate this is, but this made me laugh a bit:

quote:

April 13 — The Republic of Venezuela is renamed the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, after the Constitution of Venezuela is put in place
April 12 — The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela is renamed the Republic of Venezuela, after the Constitution of Venezuela is put in place

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sbaldrick posted:

If you look a bit North of the town you can see the giant compounds on the lake

Which lake? Cuz there's a shitton of them.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Reunified Germany and China taking back Hong Kong are the most obvious ones that come to mind.

Peanut President posted:

Don't forget about China taking back Macau.
These examples aren't really comparable to what's going on with Ukraine/Crimea these days. The original agreement for Macau and Hong Kong stated that the imperial powers should agree to hand the island states back to China after a certain number of years. Somewhere around 99 years, if memory serves right.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Count Roland posted:

I was thinking about the situation in Ukraine, and I got to wondering about expanding borders. Russia annexed Crimea as we all know, and either has already or will officially make it part of Russian territory.

I was wondering when the last time this happened was. States these days, and really since WW2, have tended to splinter instead of grow larger. The most recent example I could think of of a state expanding its borders was Israel in '67 (and kinda ongoing with settlements, depending how you look at it). Any more recent examples that I've missed?

Turkey in Cyprus in '74 is a pretty analogous case to Russia in Crimea, though northern Cyprus is only Turkish-occupied instead of "officially" part of Turkey.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ulvir posted:

These examples aren't really comparable to what's going on with Ukraine/Crimea these days. The original agreement for Macau and Hong Kong stated that the imperial powers should agree to hand the island states back to China after a certain number of years. Somewhere around 99 years, if memory serves right.

With Hong Kong the British did lease part of it for 99 years but there was a part which was essentially given to them for as long as they liked. Neither is really akin to Crimea though.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

ulvir posted:

For Hong Kong at least, the issue was that the British took it in three separate treaties. A small part of it was ceded to the British in perpetuity, but the majority of the land area was leased to them for 99 years, expiring in 1997. Due to the massive urbanization that happened during the 20th century it would have been extremely impractical to split the city along the lines demarcated in 1898, so the British had little choice but to hand it over, especially after China made it clear that western financial interests would be protected.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Kowloon and Hong Kong Island were ceded in perpetuity. The New Territories were a lease.

Macau was ceded in perpetuity, but the Portuguese tried to give it back after Salazar went down and Mao wouldn't take it because of the ongoing Cultural Revolution. It was then reclassified as a Chinese territory under temporary Portuguese administration until China was ready to take it back in 1999.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

I don't know how accurate this is, but this made me laugh a bit:

There was a short-lived coup in 2002. The new government renamed the country, then Chavez renamed it back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivarian_Revolution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Venezuelan_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat_attempt

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

esquilax posted:

Turkey in Cyprus in '74 is a pretty analogous case to Russia in Crimea, though northern Cyprus is only Turkish-occupied instead of "officially" part of Turkey.

I don't want to start up an irredentist slapfight or anything here, but at least in Cyprus, wasn't Turkey a little more justified than Russia since violence against ethnic Turks wasn't imaginary, and the people there really were appealing to Turkey for help?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I don't want to start up an irredentist slapfight or anything here, but at least in Cyprus, wasn't Turkey a little more justified than Russia since violence against ethnic Turks wasn't imaginary, and the people there really were appealing to Turkey for help?

I wouldn't say it was so much "violence against ethnic Turks", more like a violent clash between two belligerent ethnic nationalist groups. Whether their intervention after the '74 coup was justified is debatable, but Turkey founding a de facto state and then performing a campaign of ethnic cleansing of northern Greeks was definitely not.

edit: Politically loaded map!

esquilax fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 16, 2014

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

Maybe this clears the situation a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evIyrrjTTY

Clever video. I could identify about half of those different nations. I forgot how many different empires crossed through the Levant thousands of years ago.

I clicked around on some of the related videos and stumbled upon a stationary map of Europe showing the nations and borders changing over the course of 6,000+ years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxDyJ_6N-6A

I liked how it stopped in 2013, otherwise they'd have to do something about Crimea... or would they?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's missing a bunch and has a few duplicates where they aren't necessary so don't feel bad for not getting more.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
If I got it right, it goes, in order of appearance:
generic 'early man'
Canaanite
Egyptian
Assyrian
Israelite
Persian
Alexander the Great
some other Greeks
Ptolemy
Seleucid
High Priest/Judah Maccabee
Romans
Byzantines
Arabs
Crusaders
Mamluks
Ottomans
Arab nationalists
Britain
Zionists
Fatah
IDF
Hamas
Death

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There's a list here and on the vimeo page and whatever.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Hooray, I was mostly right!

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Have some world war 1 maps.

Europe 3 years before the war started, mostly a pretty map.

A bunch of Propaganda maps:

And lastly a plan for Europe from 1915:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Italy and Balkans are stealing Austria's boots.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Italy and Balkans are stealing Austria's boots.

My personal favourite in that map is the Ottoman Empire cutting of its own neck using a sword 'made in Germany'.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
It's also telling that the British Isles is the only one in that map who looks as though he's enjoying himself!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love the German propaganda version of the Western Front in this one.

"What, Belgium? Who? We definitely didn't cross their borders. Actually never heard of them, is that even a country? Anyhoo, just defending ourselves from the dastardly French attack on Elsaß-Lothringen"

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This one is beautiful. France is only in Basque country, Ireland is a colony of Austria-Hungary, Great Britain is a colony of Germany, Netherlands and Romania are surrounded on all sides and not annexed, Russia is only in Crimea...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

lullelulle posted:

And lastly a plan for Europe from 1915:

Who was proposing this plan?

I like that Iran gets divided up along with the Central Powers because, hey, why not?

Who's that yellow, non-Turkish, non-Greek country in southern Turkey supposed to be for? Is it meant to be part of Italy's spoils?! And how come Britain takes Haifa directly when everything around it is neutral?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Angry Salami posted:

Most likely France, since it's their name in the title.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Angry Salami posted:

I like that Iran gets divided up along with the Central Powers because, hey, why not?

Who's that yellow, non-Turkish, non-Greek country in southern Turkey supposed to be for? Is it meant to be part of Italy's spoils?! And how come Britain takes Haifa directly when everything around it is neutral?

Britain gets half of Iran, Iraq, Cyprus, a good part of the Saudi Arabian coastline AND Egypt, and you wonder about Haifa?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kapparomeo posted:

It's also telling that the British Isles is the only one in that map who looks as though he's enjoying himself!

Russia's smiling.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Who's that yellow, non-Turkish, non-Greek country in southern Turkey supposed to be for? Is it meant to be part of Italy's spoils?!

The plans for Turkey there are actually almost exactly what the Allies ended up deciding on in 1920 at the Treaty of Sevres (with the exception of the territory marked out for Russia given to a large Armenian state instead), and which Ottoman Empire accepted. A guy named Mustafa Ataturk took exception to his country being brutally carved up, though, and it turns out that the Turkish people weren't all that fond of their new Italian, Turkish and French overlords either, and that's the reason Turkey is actually a viable nation in the modern era instead of being a tiny rump state confined to a corner of Anatolia.

Someone has little Serbia pig as their av on these forums. I think he posts in the Paradox thread.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 16, 2014

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Was the whole "anthropomorphized country map" thing a big fad in the WWI era? It seems like there's a ton of them out there.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Angry Salami posted:

Who's that yellow, non-Turkish, non-Greek country in southern Turkey supposed to be for? Is it meant to be part of Italy's spoils?!

What I find stranger than that is that Bulgaria (who, y'know, fought on the side of the Central Powers) is not only retaining Western Thrace but also being given pretty much all of Eastern Thrace too.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Basil Hayden posted:

What I find stranger than that is that Bulgaria (who, y'know, fought on the side of the Central Powers) is not only retaining Western Thrace but also being given pretty much all of Eastern Thrace too.

I'm pretty sure the plan was made before Bulgaria actually joined. They joined in October 1915.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

"No one rightly knows what happened in great hot Africa"

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Today in Excellent Choices in Colour Scales:

:thumbsup:

E: Sorry, it broke tables. Fixed now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Darth Various posted:

Today in Excellent Choices in Colour Scales:

:thumbsup:

E: Sorry, it broke tables. Fixed now.

To be fair all we really need to know is that France thinks it's okay and nobody else does.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well that and large swaths of africa and central asia don't seem to have any opinion on it period.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Frostwerks posted:

Well that and large swaths of africa and central asia don't seem to have any opinion on it period.

The study only asked like 40 countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Angry Salami posted:

Before WW1 Iran was divided up into "zones of influence" for Britain and Russia, with a "neutral zone" in between, so it's not out of nowhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Russian_Entente#The_Anglo-Russian_Convention_of_1907.5B4.5D